Epic Café Southfield
1 Towne Square
Southfield, MI 48076Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Epic Café Southfield
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theepicureangroup.com/
- Phone: 2488644410
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11am-2:30pm
(Call for availability)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Both on and off site catering/delivery is available. Our sales team will customize a menu to best fit your needs and budget.
- Private Party Facilities: Choose from four private dining configurations, which can accommodate up to 60 people. Complete restaurant buy out is also available for up to 200 guests. All private rooms have dedicated audio-visual systems.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Sjolander 2488644410x408
A word from Epic Café Southfield
Epic Cafe is a chef inspired casual fare dining experience. From healthy salads to meatless sandwiches, along side the traditional deli fare, you'll be hard-pressed not to find something you'll truly enjoy.Continued
Always a crowd pleaser, we offer restaurant or pub dining areas, take-out and delivery, as well as, catering.
Always a crowd pleaser, we offer restaurant or pub dining areas, take-out and delivery, as well as, catering.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Epic Café Southfield reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (2)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Looks Like They're Just Right...RandRDined on 7/16/2014While some of the old restaurant's (Gastronomy) ambience still lurks about, it's clear that this is an entirely new dining experience. Mid level in cost and expectation, they serve a great lunch menu, perfect for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem of SouthfieldladyKDined on 6/13/2014Stopped in for lunch on a Friday afternoon. I'm glad we took the chance! We were provided friendly service and great food at decent prices. The grilled cheese & tomato soup were perfect. We finished our meals with the salted chocolate chip cookies - OMG so good. It was the perfect comforting meal I needed. It's a bit pricey for the average lunch but the quality of food makes it worth every penny.Special Features:
- offLauraVIPDined on 5/14/2014it always bothers me to order iced tea with sweetner, only to have the tea delivered without it then wait 5 or more minutes before having to remind the server to bring it out. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard, but happens often and did here. the previous version of this restaurant had several gluten free options on the menu, which now are lacking. I knew the 2.0 version was different - more common, less unique - but had not expected it to be disappointing. It was.
- Birthday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/11/2014I had a wonderful time celebrating my birthday with friends over lunch. I would reccommend this restaurant to co workers, friends and family. The wait staff was phenomenal and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prix FixeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We went on Valentine's Day and had a wonderful time. The seven courses were delicious, and the wine pairings were better than we could have ever hoped for. The ambience was good enough, but it couldn't escape the corporate convention hall feel (it is on the ground level of a high rise after all).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun ValentinesGreenCSDined on 2/14/2014We've never been to a restaurant like this and thought it would be fun to try on Valentines day. It was a fun and delicious experience. They had a special menu just for valentines and it was really yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; full bellyJonjonDined on 2/13/2014We tried the Fire Degu menu. It was a great sampling of their capabilities and menu. Great food; with lots to eat ( we did 8 courses and that was more than enough). All food follows trend of local or US based products. Wine Menu was good and specialty cocktails were interesting. Staff was friendly and helpful with menu. The Ambience doesn't match the cuisine and group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd time and we're outAngelaDined on 2/8/2014For the level of menu offered - and pricing, we were quite disappointed. Service (and server) were fine, but quality of food was not up to our expectations. This was our third visit - and nothing had improved, so feel this will be our last.
- simply excellent - and surprisinglysteveDined on 2/6/2014simply excellent - and surprisingly a very good happy hour in the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodAAFoodieDined on 1/25/2014Our dinner here was fantastic. The food was all amazing, and the waitstaff was very attentive. It's kind of a long drive (especially in bad weather) from Ann Arbor, but the food made up for it. Definitely a good place to go to get some great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BravoLLBBVIPDined on 1/25/2014On a whim, we decided to have the eight-course degustation menu, and we couldn't have made a better choice. From the first course, a walleye bisque (so rich we were tempted to ask for seconds), to the final, a wonderful crème brulee, everything was prepared to perfection. The manager recommended an excellent wine pairing. The staff in general was attentive to every need and professional in every aspect. But the star of the restaurant is the chef; his creations made the evening truly memorable. In short, an evening to remember and a restaurant to be returned to soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique and delightful experience!TravelZooFoodieDined on 1/24/2014We enjoyed the eight-course dinner sponsored by TravelZoo. Every course was fantastic, with little surprises like their homemade caviar bursting with flavor like lemon, pomegranate, and cranberry. The flavor combinations in each dish complemented each other. It is obvious they have inspired chefs. It is a little hard to find but it is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience at GastronomySweetTeach99Dined on 1/18/2014We let the chef take control of our 6 course meal. It was all so delicious. Our waitress was kind and helpful. She explained what was in each dish. Drinks were really yummy. The host even came by to check on us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still hungry after 8 courseshubieDined on 1/18/2014beautiful food, excellent service. 8 course meal not worth the money. I had a snack when I got home. I am no foodie, for sure.Special Features:
- Always an exceptional, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/17/2014Always an exceptional, excellent experience. We reserve Gastronomy for special occasions, including anniversaries and birthdays. We also enjoy the occasional lunch. Outstanding box lunches with delightful choices. The host, the table attendants and the manager are wonderful. The food preparation and presentation are complemented buy the combination of the diversity of entrees, flavors and taste. The chefs are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered a Ruben and got..OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/14/2014I ordered a Ruben w/o the sauerkraut and got a turkey, corned beef and cheddar sandwich??? Because I was with customers I did not send it back. Meat was not high quality and dry.
- Glad we tried this restaurantLisaVIPDined on 1/11/2014The restaurant is beautiful, the staff is great. The food was wonderful. We felt that the portions were small and the food was pricey for what you received.Special Features:
- Personable and memorableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013The Chef, server and manager all made this dining experience great. My wife and I had the 6 course tasting. The Chef created an amazing tasting menu based on our preferences and requests and it was nice to have him visit our table and be very accommodating. Our server was excellent and made our experience even better with her suggestions and nice personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceContessaVIPDined on 12/16/2013We were looking for a place that was different than all the normal steakhouses and franchise restaurants. Gastronomy is a perfect place to open up your senses and enjoy a wonderfully created menu. We only had appetizers since it was our first time. We will check it out again when they change the geography of the menu creation. Currently it is Bavarian and that is not one of our top regions we enjoy food. We look forward to our next visit to Gastronomy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great presentation!lovetoeatVIPDined on 12/14/2013Service was attentive without being overbearing. Food was presented on very unique serving dishes and platters with great attention to detail. Portions are fairly small but by adding a salad or soup, you still had enough to eat. Menu has unique food ingredients, many of which I didn't know what they were (sea foam, sand, coulis?). There are 3 entrees from a specific country that change every 6-8 weeks, along with about 6 entrees that are always on the menu (steak, lamb, duck, fish). Entrees are served ala carte and at upwards of $32/entree, it's very expensive here. The bottles of wine are also very expensive (more than other restaurants for the same wines). Won't return...too expensive for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great MealgchisaDined on 12/12/2013We had the Travelzoo 8 course tasting menu. Everything was very good. It was a little unusual in the number of sweet items included. I read that in earlier reviews and found it unusual. I am not a big sweet fan but it all worked well. Just to give you an idea, one course had a rock candy coral, some were very spicy/peppery, others were just sweet. It came with a perfectly seared scallop and a clam on beach sand made with panko. The duck pate was served with three additions, one was a thyme honey, one a blood orange and the other a huckleberry sauce. Only the honey was sweet. The restaurant was not busy at all and very quiet, the service was attentive and the sommelier was excellent in putting together a wine pairing for us.Special Features:
- deceptive for non-meat eaters27thanniversaryDined on 12/12/2013we came to the restaurant because 2 of 3 of us don't eat meat and we had heard great things about the veggie menu. We eat fish, however there was only 1-2 options, 1 was not listed and had to inquire about 1 of the specials. My guests veggie meals were tasty, and appetizer great, Size of portions was inexcusably small, barely appetizer. Mark-up on the meals was exorbitant. I had the Pho soup, which came without an important ingredient. I came away hungry. The wine selection and desserts very good.. Disappointing experience. won't be back. Can get better value elsewhere, although value isn't the most crucial part of our choice. The wait staff was slow, and the restaurant was not that busy. Nice try, but I'd rate it a 4.Special Features:
- The food and the service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/10/2013The food and the service was outstanding. One of my guests commented "there's a party going on in my mouth"Special Features:
- Great SoupJakkDined on 12/10/2013The whitefish chowder is the best. Great homemade chips and salt dusted cookies are excellent. Recommend the lunchbox for lunch which provides a variety of menu items for $17Special Features:
- Detroit meets Top ChefDG120713Dined on 12/7/2013Having not heard at all of 'Gastronomy' previously, our group was extremely impressed with quality, originality/creativity, presentation and professionalism of this hidden Southfield gem. It is truly a Top Chef experience in the Metropolitan Detroit area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honestly, I expected a lotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2013Honestly, I expected a lot more from this restaurant. It was just OK. We had the travelzoo deal so it was a set menu. Everything was so sweet. More sweet than savory. I felt like I walked out with cavities. That's how sweet. Change it up a bit! Not every element should be sweet. It has potential, but overall not my favorite restaurant. I've been to a similar concept restaurant in Chicago and that was absolutely, without a doubt, AMAZING! I guess I shouldn't have had high hopes this restaurant should have been similar...that was the problem. I set the bar too high...
- Very creative and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2013Very creative and delicious dishes. Great staff. Wished we had not waited so long try it. The restaurant is in an office building in Southfied so it's a bit unconventional in terms of location. Everything else about our experience was top notch from the decor to the food. We'll be back for sure. Can't wait actuallySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful presentationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2013We tried the 8 course tasting menu. Every dish was a work of art - the presentation was amazing. For example, a seafood dish came with a clam filled with "sea foam" - an edible foam with a ginger flavor - sitting on "Edible sand" along with a scallop and "Coral" - this being a translucent , red edible in the shape of a coral. The flavors were excellent and very interesting and unusual. Even the bread was different - slices of nan served with a cucumber based spread - quite refreshing. The only negative was that the pricing was a bit on the high side. The normal cost for the tasting was $90 per person without beverages.Special Features:
- Hard to find - but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2013Great food and service. The staff was friendly and professional. We did the chef's tasting menu and the quality, presentation, and food was execellent. The soup was especially note worthy. - Walleye chowder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleigegirlVIPDined on 11/9/2013Portions were small and expensive. They screewed Up my order and took forever to bring it back and it Was wrong again. Then it was overcooked the next Time. Would not go back.
- Unique lunch menu ... foodCamichDined on 11/8/2013Unique lunch menu ... food was great and reasonably priced. I will go back for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningMichelleDined on 11/2/2013The only complaint I had about Gastronomy was that it should be busier! Why aren't more people finding this place? The service and food were outstanding. There were 3 in our party and all of us loved our food and would definitely go back. We didn't opt for the tasting menu this time but adjacent diners did so we got to see what it was about. I will try that on my next visit. My dinner was lovely - the standouts being the beet salad and the sweet potato creme brulee. Presentation on every dish was beautiful and the service excellent. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best tomato soup...hands down!LUVRofALLthgsFOODDined on 10/25/2013I can't stop thinking about this soup. It was extremely delicious and I can't wait to get back and try some more.Special Features:
- First time visitor but wontRowlsDined on 10/19/2013First time visitor but wont be my last. Went on a Saturday night and was surpised there were many seats available. Good atmoshpere and food was very good. We did the Degu (chefs Choice 6 course meal) which provided a wide range of types and flavors. Quality of food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed a six course tastingfoodfansDined on 10/18/2013We enjoyed a six course tasting menu that was created for us by the chef. Each course was paired with a wine selected by the manager/sommelier. The meal was a delight, served in comfortable timing by a friendly and efficient wait staff. We look forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly sophisticated creative2particularVIPDined on 10/15/2013highly sophisticated creative cuisine. There are few restaurants that go to this level of complexity and eleganceSpecial Features:
- Still very goodPedroVIPDined on 10/15/2013The initial hype about this restaurant when it first opened may be over, but still it is a high quality, very unique place. The appetizers are really interesting. An approach I recommend is to have three or four appetizers (for two) and then share a main entree. The food presentation is exquisite, the special part of the menu dedicated to regional foods changes so often, so you will always find something new. The atmosphere is not really exciting due to the very ample space of a one-single dining room. The wine list is very good but, of course, only contains american products (I did not mind). The service was friendly and professional. Finally, the price was moderate, for this type of high-end restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and deliciousbradsiffVIPDined on 10/11/2013Was in Detroit on business and found this through open table. Sat at the bar and had the 6 course tasting. Each course was a very small plate very creative ingredients and beautifully presented. Specialty cocktail list was also very good with my favorite being a tequila based creation. Bartender was a good guy and took very good care of me service wise. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good!!MikeVIPDined on 10/8/2013Great combinations, really enjoyed the steak tartare and the cardamon donuts!!Special Features:
- Beautiful presentationYummy1Dined on 10/5/2013Gastronomy is a great place to take a date or celebrate a special occaision. Great way to make an impression. The food was beautifully presented and the atmosphere was great. Entire staff was professional and hospitable. The chef did a beautiful job with our dishes...majority of our table for 8 had paella and scallops. Our vegan eater enjoyed a special vegan menu. The only downside is if you place value on quanitity, this is not the place. Some of the guys said they could have used a second helping. Overall, enjoyed our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.