1080 14th Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://epernaylounge.com/
- Phone: 3035735000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nick Shankland
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Director of Marketing & Events 720-369-5032x
A word from Epernay
Epernay is a contemporary raw/sushi bar located at 1080 14th Street, in the heart of Denver’s Theater District. We have quickly been named # 1 Lounge of the Year by Nightlife & Bar Media Group as well as Denver's premier lounge. We offer a realm of sophisticated sex-appeal through our unique, globally inspired dishes and our unparalleled ambiance. We have an amazing array of small plates, sushi, specialty cocktails, and champagne by the glass. Our menu is a perfect fusion of classic standards and contemporary tenacity all designed to amaze. Epernay is the ideal environment for an intimate night with friends, coworkers, and couples. Epernay is open for dinner service Tuesday through Saturday night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Epernay - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Epernay reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)special occasion (5)hot spot (5)fit for foodies (4)romantic (4)neighborhood gem (3)great for outdoor dining (3)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Lost its lusterDPF816VIPDined on 8/23/2014This used to be a great place to stop before attending an event or before exploring downtown. They had a nice dining room, a great menu, and wonderful cocktails. Unfortunately, Epernay substantially changed its menus and became much more of a bar-type atmosphere. All of the good, inventive cocktails are gone, and the food menu, especially the happy hour menu, is much more limited. All of our favorites were gone. We were very tempted to just leave when we had seen the changes, but we recognized the truffle mac and cheese so we ordered that. Unfortunately that, too, had changed. Very disappointing!
- In transition, but a very nice mealScottchVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went to Epernay knowing that they were between chefs and tinkering with their concept. The menu was limited to cold sushi items, and the place did seem a bit disorganized. Still, we had friendly, professional service, very nice sushi, and some magnificent happy hour bubbly by the glass (especially the Iron Horse 2007 vintage Brut!). Epernay strikes me as a wannabe in the overdone genre of clubby, late-hour, annoyingly youthful, grazing-and-fancy-drinks joints with ridiculous furniture that drives anyone over 40 away. But the theatre location is great, the space has promise, and Champagne and sushi is potentially a great combination. Let's hope the owners make it over into the serious, adult dining destination it could be.Special Features:
- Where is the rest of the menu?janeeyre96VIPDined on 7/29/2014When did they switch menus so that no hot items were sold? I seem to remember that it used to have fusion food and not just sushi. Sushi was good, however the prices are a bit high. Also the tables are too small in the lounge to provide comfortable eating arrangements when more than 1 plate is put down.Special Features:
- Great late night dinner/dance spotJMarDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I chose Epernay for a late night sushi dinner for our anniversary. Restaurant portion was empty, but it was 10:00pm (after dinner crowd and prior to lounge crowd) The place was so chic and clean. Our server was wonderful and attentive. Sushi was wonderful and great presentation. Custom drinks were delicious. We highly enjoyed our experience. After dinner we went into the lounge portion of the place and enjoyed a good crowd and listened to dj playing hip-hop and r&b music. Mood went from quiet which was perfect for dinner, and then to energetic as the crowd began to arrive. We will try Epernay again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!GanjaFoodieDined on 6/13/2014Took my wife here on date night. Loved this place! Considering booking an office party here. Great food. Great staff. Ambiance is on point - although the men's room is kind of weird. Lol. My wife said the ladies room was ridiculously pretty so I go looking for the men's room, turn a corner and walk into a urinal lol. There wasn't even a door. Aside from weird peeing space, this place is on point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails and servicemichDined on 6/13/2014Sat outside on Friday night before seeing 8pm show at DCPA. Service friendly and attentive; custom cocktail (PEARFECTION) was delish. Would have drunk another if didn't have to get moving. Hummus was not enjoyable; very pasty and not fresh tasting. LOTS of details went into a delicious cheese platter, but ironically, the cheeses were the weakest link. All the breads/crackers/relish/fruit/nuts were fab. Cheeses were unremarkable and a little dry. Would try food again, but more likely to drink there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and AWSOME serviceGreatplaceDined on 5/23/2014We were treated with respect and dignity. Very relaxing atmosphere and the food was very very good. Staff was on top of things and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in Theatre DistrictTDdinerVIPDined on 5/16/2014Moderate portions of very well prepared dishes make this a delightful pre-event venue in the DCPA. I prefer it to both Limelight and Kevin Taylor at the Opera. The restaurant was not crowded when we dined there and service and food were both excellent. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/14/2014The food, menu, drinks, ambiance, service, and location are all great. It was quiet during dinner time, but I hear the bar scene is great later in the evening. It also is a great place to host a party or event.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/14/2014Not enough servers. Food service became slow as the room filled or kitchen was slow. Hard with theater tix.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/9/2014Great Happy Hour - excellent cocktails and a nice selection of apps.Special Features:
- Great for pre-show dinnerHeffelnDined on 5/7/2014We had 7pm tickets to the theatre and Epernay is right in the same complex. they service was attentive, the waitress was quite kind and engaged us the perfect amount, not too much to make it uncomfortable, but not ignoring us either. good food, great drinks...recommend it if you want a close to the theatre location.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 92 reviews are from the Epernay reviews archive.
- Poor planningOperaLoverDined on 5/3/2014We were attending the opera on May 3 and made a 5:15 reservation at least a week in advance. When we arrived, there was a large "Derby Day" party going on. The noise was terrible; the only place they found to seat us was in the front and very noisy. We decided we could not enjoy our dinner there so we left immediately. I understand the economic value of having a large party there but they should have notified us of this and the (expected) noise and crowds. Even 24 hours notice would have been appreciated. We did not get a chance to taste the food or evaluate the service but we will not give this restaurant a second chance!.
- Magellan65VIPDined on 4/26/2014Great place to go before the theatre. The new style sashimi is excellent. The service was slow for sushi but they made sure we had enough time to get to our show. Lounge area really nice. Surprised more people weren't there but perhaps it's an after theatre place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceEvergreenDinerVIPDined on 4/25/2014My husband and I had first dined at Epernay during Restaurant Week. During Restaurant Week the food was amazing, but the portions were comically small. However, the food was delicious enough that it warranted a return visit. We were happy to find portions sizes were good when it was not restaurant week. Also, due to our Restaurant Week experience we were about to order too much food and our waitress was gracious enough to let us know instead of allowing us to over order. It was a very nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealtyrusDined on 4/19/2014Thought the sushi was fresh and the service was attentive.
- Great before the theaterWagdinesoutVIPDined on 4/15/2014Located next to the DCPA, Epernayy is a great place for pre or post theater dinner or drink. The cocktails are delicious. I especially enjoyed the Churchill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect before a showWaiting4showDined on 3/12/2014Stopped in to have a light dinner and drinks. Our server, Hanna, was quick to ask if we were on any time constraints and fortunately we had plenty of time to enjoy the wonder food and drinks. Despite a large gathering business professionals, Hanna was very helpful with food and drink suggestions and made sure we had everything we needed. A great experience before a show and I'm sure at any other time too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Epernsy duringOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2014We went to Epernsy during Denver Restaurant Week. They did not offer their regular menu - only a very limited choice 3 course one. The quality of the food was excellent and the waiter was very friendly and knowledgable about the food. The portion sizes were tiny - basically 2 very small appetizers and a small bite if dessert. I thought it was very overpriced at $30 per person. The portion sizes were so small that right after dinner we went across the street and had salads and appetizers at another restaurant.
- The food was delicious, butOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/27/2014The food was delicious, but I must say if the portions served during Restaurant Week reflect the portions served at normal hours, then it's a bit pricey for what you get. No complaints about taste or quality or service, all of which were great, but 3 courses later I was still hungry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe and atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/25/2014I dinned with my good friend for my birthday and we had a great time! It was snowing out so they were not super busy so that made it a little more relaxing environment! It was 5280 week so we were a little limited on our options but overall we really enjoyed what we got to try. And it is always nice to try something I normally wouldn't go for!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekDSPCuteOneDined on 2/23/2014I tried out Epernay Lounge during Denver Restaurant Week with MeetInDenver and it was absolutely delightful. They were very accommodating with regard to our last-minute reservation change and separate checks. The service was great. The food was outstanding. The grilled octopus was probably the best I've ever had, not rubbery, and deliciously seasoned. The new style sashimi was wonderful as well, the sauces were light and paired perfectly. The cocktails were spectacular. I really enjoyed their version of the French 75 and the sake-strawberry drink in a martini glass. I'm so glad this place participated in Restaurant Week because I'm not sure I would have heard of this restaurant, otherwise. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/22/2014Compared to our first visit, we were very disappointed by the service this second time. When a party was being seated near us, something was found on the seats. Instead of efficiently cleaning it up, the staff seemed to be confused and they threw fabric napkins over whatever it was. It ruined the moment for my husband and I. I also noticed a table that was very unhappy. I think the server was trying her best to accommodate their needs. It appears that the focus on food and dinner has taken second place to the bar and nightlife scene later on in the evening. Not sure if we'll try Epernay again.
- Excellent cuisine!AriadneDined on 2/19/2014Epernay works very well for pre or post theater dining. It is located steps away from the performing arts complex and, the kitchen doesn't close early on the weekdays. We enjoyed various sushi style creations as appetizers, and the lamb and the bison were elegantly presented and delicious as well. For a special celebration, there are many champagnes from which to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown Away!DienverDinerVIPDined on 2/14/2014After reading many of the reviews I was not sure I wanted to risk our Valentine's Date experience. Glad I did. From the moment we walked in to the time we left the staff made us feel welcome and appreciated. We were greeted promptly and friendly, our waitress was polite and responsive to requests, the GM (Chris) greeted us and made us feel welcome, and the food, OMG, PERFECT! I have dined in many of the finest restaurants in the world. Epernay is in the top ten for us. This is a “must try” dining experience. I do recommend you plan on at least 90 minutes. Fine dining is an art. If you are planning to rush in – rush out go to McDonalds. If you want one of the finest dining experiences in Denver then make Epernay your next stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant in great proximityFredDined on 2/14/2014Nice restaurant in great proximity to the Denver Center for Performing Arts complex. Had a prix fixe Valentine's Day dinner that was delicious. We had sushi for appetizer as well and it was great! Strong drinks, great service. We want to go back and try their typical day to day food (not prix fixe) as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waiter was very knowledgeableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014Our waiter was very knowledgeable & personable, the food was delicious & were able to talk to the chef about his specially prepared octopus which was very tender & completely different from any I had eaten in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmoshereGoodchoiceDined on 2/1/2014Great ambiance and wait staff. Very convenient to the theater district if you're interested in dinner before a play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service / Quality of food/timingmariaDined on 1/31/2014We were greeted nicely and taken to our seats immediately. Server was great. Manager checked on us as well as filling Our water glasses. All the food we ordered was wonderful. The chef sent out two samples. This was a very pleasant dining experience! Close to the theaters and easy to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great selection of wines andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2014Great selection of wines and champagne. Good food in small portions so we could experiment and try different items. Friendly and prompt service. Great atmosphere. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food=--what there wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/17/2014The food=--what there was of it-was creative and delicious. But the portions were laughingly small and extremely overpriced. My companion's expensive meal has a half cup of soup (which the waiter agreed was way too little for the money) and his $16 soft shell crab turned out to be 5 small bites. My far was heartier so I could share it with my guest. The waiter was friendly but failed to warn us that my guests orders were going to amount all in all to a small appetizer. We will not be returning.
- Went on a snowy evening whenTazzVIPDined on 1/4/2014Went on a snowy evening when there wasn't more than 3 people in the restaurant. The Chef was very nice and a gracious host. I had quite a sample of the menu that was pretty tame. The chef had me try a pork biscuit they are going to serve for 5280 that was fabulous. My server was a ton of fun and he & I hit it off discussing cuisine in all sorts of places. He's also a foody! Love this place even though it's a bit pricy for one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth a lookNYEaterDined on 12/31/2013Food was excellent. Cocktail menu both unique and tasty. Dinner crowd is interesting, but the later evening crowd is especially dynamic. Sushi but many other delicious options as well - definitely worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisasterBillinColoradoVIPDined on 11/30/2013Apparently there was a chef problem, and the restaurant could only serve the sushi section of the menu. While I love sushi most of the time, we were looking formsomething a bit more gastronomic for date night at the theater. We left.
- Gave them a second chance but....DunzoVIPDined on 11/19/2013Bad service, cold food, bad reaction to complaints by management. There are few diners here pre-theatre. There is a reason for this.
- Don't go for sushiANgiWDined on 11/16/2013Their location may be great if you are going to the the theater. However, the sushi was is average at best. Leaves a lot to be desired. The quality of the fish was not very poor.
- MixedmikeDined on 11/9/2013We have been here three times. Each time the meal was outstanding and the waitstaff very knowledgable . Unfortunately each time we ordered desert with ample time to spare but ended up canceling the order as there was an inordinate wait. Too bad as everything before that was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre everything....OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/2/2013We came in for dinner prior to a show this past Saturday night. We informed the waiter when we sat down that we had 1 and 1/2 hours before we had to leave for the show. He did not think this would be a problem. We ordered within the first 10 minutes of sitting down but didn't receive our appetizer until 20 minutes before the show and our main course until 10 minutes before we had to leave. Once the food arrived, it was very mediocre. The spinach salad was overdressed and sparse. The mussels were also extremely overcooked but we didn't have time to complain, send them back or ask for a new order. Overall..I don't think I'd go back in for more than just a drink.Special Features:
- Gorgeous interiorSashDined on 10/26/2013Beautiful, chic place. Surprisingly quiet for Halloween, but this place usually has a good crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great butternut bisque. YouOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/26/2013Great butternut bisque. You have to order it on a chilly evening! We tried a few sushi rolls and they were great.Special Features: