5474 College Ave.
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.enoteca-molinari.com/
- Phone: 5104284078
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:30PM - 11:00PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Take a seat at the wine bar to view the open kitchen.
A word from Enoteca Molinari
Enoteca Molinari is a small Italian restaurant & wine bar in Oakland (3 blocks from BART next to A Cote) that serves up some delicious Italian small plates & pasta made from local & seasonal ingredients. With 20+ Italian wines by the glass and an eclectic all Italian bottle list; there's something for everyoneContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Enoteca Molinari reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (7)notable wine list (7)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Little gem--& I don't mean lettucePurpleDaffodilVIPDined on 10/1/2014With a modern interior in a small space, this intimate spot consistently delivers exceptional, creative food. A couple of years ago, I was introduced to dry tomatoes here (watering is stopped once the plant is established, resulting in a dense fruit with intense flavor). Last week, I had an inventive dish with very thinly sliced zucchini (lengthwise), halved cherry tomatoes, burrata and --wait for it--mint! Who would have thought?! Delicious. My friend had tagliatelle with ragu that was fabulous. My only regret is that I don't live closer. If I did, I'd be a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and fun!art53Dined on 9/26/2014We first noticed this restaurant after dining at a nearby spot. it reminded us of a trattoria in Italy. We decided to try EM to celebrate our wedding anniversary and now we want to take friends. One of the best parts of this restaurant is its size and intimacy. The noise level is relatively quiet- so rare these days. The appetizers, pastas and desert were absolutely fantastic. The wine list is extensive and the owner quite knowledgeable. We sat at the open kitchen bar (to watch the chef work his magic) which we highly recommend. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a neighborhood favorite!KdrakeVIPDined on 9/9/2014Had a lovely dinner here with a friend. She wanted light fare, and it was nice not to feel pressured about what we ordered. All the dishes were delicious, and as expected, the wine selection was broad and staff helpful in guiding our choices. The place is small and intimate; nothing super fancy, but i find it romantic. I love that we have such fantastic places in our home town of Rockridge! We'll be back many times...Special Features:
- Another great meal!BKOaklandVIPDined on 8/29/2014I love this place and am there every few weeks. Great food (try the ragu!), impressive wine list, and great service. Joe (the owner) is pretty much always there and really knows his wine list (very reasonably priced) - tell him what you like, and he'll come up with great recommendations. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- VinoADined on 8/19/2014Very small intimate restaurant. We shared a Salumi plate which was pretty good. Tried two pasta dishes, Gnocchi and Talgiatelli Bolognese both were so so.Special Features:
- Small neighborhood gemluvgudfudnquietplaceDined on 7/25/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in the East Bay. It offers first-rate cuisine (great pasta, fish dishes, salads, and desserts) in which the quality of fresh ingredients is allowed to shine. Because it's a small restaurant it has an intimate feel, enhanced by very attentive and knowledgeable staff. An important feature is that it's quiet, unlike most restaurants, which in the last decade have deliberately created a noisy atmosphere. At Enoteca Molinari you can actually have a conversation with you dinner companions and hear what they are saying.Special Features:
- The following 72 reviews are from the Enoteca Molinari reviews archive.
- Go for the appetizersLuvFoodDined on 5/22/2014Loved the appetizers (stuffed zucchini blossoms, asparagus). No so much the salad (arugula and farro) and the pasta (orecchiette with shaved artichoke). The salad didn't meld together. The pasta was greasy. I would go back for the appetizers, make a meal of them, and skip the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great country italianJ105steveVIPDined on 5/3/2014We've been there 4 or 5 times. The Tagliatelle al ragu, is one of the best I have had anywhere. The smoked swordfish antipasta, and the Asparagus with burrata were fantastic. Great food, nice waitstaff, and a great Italian wine list. If everyone was speaking Italian and you closed your eyes, it could be one of those great out of the way enoteca's in Rome.Special Features:
- Spectacular new restaurant!RubyVIPDined on 4/11/2014We took a chance on this place and we were deliriously happy we did. It's a small establishment with only a few tables, which allowed us to actually hear each other talk (a rarity these days). Lenee was our server and she was warm, welcoming and very helpful. We discovered some wonderful new Italian wines, and the food was outstanding. The artichoke appetizer and roasted asparagus with burrata were both perfectly prepared and delicious. As entrees we had the rockfish and the tagliatelle, and they were both excellent. It was also very reasonably priced. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- Great FindRaffaDined on 2/8/2014Happen to look for an Italian restaurant on Yelp and Enoteca Molinari came up as a 4 star rate. Made reservation on Open Table and we were able to get preservation quite quickly. We did wait for a few minutes once we arrived but found the ambience, food and service surprisingly good in a ll categories. Would recommend it to one and all. Certainly authentic food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star food; 3 star pricesMarkVIPDined on 12/17/2013the plates are on the smaller side, so order a few - you can definitely afford to do so given the prices - we ordered 5 dishes and all were amazingSpecial Features:
- Truly a neighborhood gem,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/29/2013Truly a neighborhood gem, you can't do wrong to eat at the marble bar or at one of tables for flavorful Italian dishes. The staff are attentive and warm and even the chef is not afraid to give you a smile as he whips up the delicate dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, not greatOaklandEaterDined on 10/12/2013The food was pretty good and the staff was very nice, but also very inattentive. Considering how small this place is, it seems like it would be easier to keep the water and wine glasses full, clear the plates, wipe away crumbs and take orders in a more timely manner. A little more attention to detail from the wait staff would make this place a neighborhood gem.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Elegance at Enoteca MolinariLisaDined on 10/5/2013Had a lovely dinner there. The restaurant is tiny and intimate. Staff was great. My husband couldn't decide which wine to order, so they brought him two generous tasting options. Food was innovative and delicious. The caprese salad was fabulous! We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed this!ElleDined on 10/5/2013What a fine little restaurant--love the spare menu that provides ample but not confusing choices. The food was great, serving sizes appropriate (as in, not TOO large), service attentive. Love the wine list and Joe was very helpful with questions we had.Special Features:
- Small and gooddinnerandmusicVIPDined on 9/18/2013This tiny restaurant has very good food and interesting choices for wine. Great for a special occasion or a quick meal after work. A good addition to Rockridge dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We only enjoyed the wineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2013I read the menu before going and it looked delicious. Sadly, every dish felt like a chore to get through. The caponata had some good flavor but it was warm in some places and cold in others. The zucchini blossom app. sounded amazing but they were over-battered and the cheese was on the side instead of inside. I recall from the menu that mint was supposed to be involved but I couldn't taste it. They were served on a bed of undressed arugula. Boring. The gnocchi was ok but the smoked mozzarella was too dominant. And the finale: the orecchiette. It was almost inedible - way too salty without any other flavors. The staff was standing around so we felt pressured to try to eat it. I will never go again. Beyond disappointing.Special Features:
- Really wanted to like thisOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2013Really wanted to like this restaurant as it looks great, clean and sleek.Menu looked good, but there was just something missing. Had the ragu and it desperately needed more garlic. Seems they use fresh ingredients,but the food just is missing that Italian zing. Great and varied wine list, servers that were very helpful, good ambiance. Will try it again and order different dishes and see.
- We have dined at the neighborhoodOaklanderVIPDined on 9/4/2013We have dined at the neighborhood restaurant three times since discovering it a few weeks ago and have been pleasantly surprised by the quality and consistency of the food and service each time. The Italian wine list is broad and reasonably priced. Limited seating so recommend making reservations.Special Features:
- I really like Enoteca Molinari.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/3/2013I really like Enoteca Molinari. We have been there multiple times. The food is consistently good. I have never had a pasta dish there where the pasta was not cooked perfectly. The preparations are interesting and creative. The restaurant is small so there is an intimacy to a meal there that adds materially to the experience. It is one of our go-to places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOSO!rng1101VIPDined on 8/22/2013I haven't been here for over a year and remembered how good the food was ... and when I saw the menu featured orrechiete cime di rapa, I decided to have it. I first ate this pasta dish in Puglia this past May, when I went on a cooking and eating tour of the region. This is the first time I have seen it on a menu in an American restaurant. It brought me back to the South of Italy :)Special Features:
- Small inconspicuous ItalianOaklanderVIPDined on 8/13/2013Small inconspicuous Italian wine bar with limited dinner menu that delivers solidly across the board. Wait staff could not have been more friendly and well informed regarding the extensive list of Italian wines offered. The kitchen turns out surprisingly good food.Special Features:
- great things come in small packagesdragonreesVIPDined on 8/6/2013This is a very small wine bar and Italian bistro that does get crowded, but not loud. The serving staff are among the best around. Staff are really attentive and helpful, very friendly, and very knowledgeable and have great recommendations re the wine list. This list is all Italian and includes about 2 dozen wines by the glass. Many are from small producers that are unusual on wine lists, and many are organic. The menu is short and changes frequently. There are about a half dozen antipasti options, 4 or 5 salad and soup choices, and about 5 or 6 Larger (not large) dishes. The food is delicious. Our choices included local halibut, bistecca, the tagliatelle al ragu and the fried zucchini flowers . Prices are very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent classic Italian foodDawnVIPDined on 7/17/2013Arugula salad was delicious, and orrechiette with broccoli rabe had delicious hint of bitterness with wonderfully textured pasta that made it a rich combination. Cardamom panna cotta was silky and not too sweet. Could see this as a regular spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 6/20/2013We went on a week day, with reservation 8ish. The restaurant was small, but not crowded. The food was excellent, and the service was good. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful but small in RockridgeNolafoodloverDined on 5/25/2013Enoteca Molinari was such a treat! The crostini con scamorza e friarielli (broccoli rabe on toast) was delicious, the meats and cheeses amazing, and the gnocchi very good. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/25/2013A neighborhood restaurant we were excited to discover! The room is tiny, but well-appointed and warm, with a welcoming bar. The service was friendly and professional. The food was fresh and simple (in a good way). We ordered appetizers (carciofi and salumi - both excellent), then fresh pea and potato soup (fresh and complex), and finally salmon and pork saltimbocca (both delicious). Wine by the glass was paired beautifully to each course. The wine list (mostly Italian) was amazing, especially given the limited square footage! I'm Italian so I also appreciated the impeccable spelling on the menu. The price is very reasonable for the quality. It felt like we could have been in Milano or Florence. Fantastico!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authenic ItalianJ105steveVIPDined on 5/24/2013Great food, super friendly wait staff, great Italian wine list. Small quiet and clean. We love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar food in modern spaceFoodMomDined on 5/18/2013Excellent food in every category. Highly recommend. Small space but inviting, can actually talk w/o shouting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly excellent foodCasualDinerDined on 5/16/2013I had heard that Enoteca was good, but I was surprised by how good it was. The food is really simple, but done perfectly. I think it was the combination of herbs and really fresh ingredients. Every course (and we had four) was just superb. I was really surprised by how much we enjoyed our meal. And the wine -- and wine recommendations -- were excellent. I will go back. Perfect for a date night but not good for groups since the place is really small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relibable & consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2013Last Friday was my third time at Enoteca Molinari. How nice to go to a place where the dishes are consistenly yummy. This is in my book as "reliable, yummy, quality of food."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like this restaurant. TheJanrcVIPDined on 4/27/2013I like this restaurant. The food is great and e wait staff even better. I love the owner who stood in parking spot to save it for me when Ihe recommended I move my car because he was afraid I'd get a ticket. It's small. The wines are wonderful. My husbands only complaint was the servings were small. Mine was fine. I had the gnocchi which was perfect.Special Features:
- Best gnocchi ever. The winezukefreshVIPDined on 4/5/2013Best gnocchi ever. The wine selection is fantastic as well. A cute little place that will make you want to stay and chat.Special Features:
- Everything was OK, which isalamoVIPDined on 4/3/2013Everything was OK, which is too bad because in the past it has been very good. I am not sure if something has changed or if it was a bad night.
- Sweet sophisticatedJoshSFVIPDined on 3/22/2013Really enjoyed this cute little spot. Food is overall interesting and some plates are smaller sizes so you can sample. Very Italian.Special Features:
- We couldn't find a parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/26/2013We couldn't find a parking place anywhere near the restaurant. We called to find out where to park. The response was uninterested in our dilemma so we cancelled.
- I feel goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/29/2012Nice cozy spot. Loved the smaller portion size and great food. I'ld go back for a date night.Special Features:
- I go to Molinari often. Great,BKOaklandVIPDined on 12/27/2012I go to Molinari often. Great, local spot. The food is always very good and the wine list is great. The staff, starting with Joe (the owner), really know the wine and can make recommendations if you aren't familiar with the varietals. I was a little disappointed on this last trip because they didn't have their deservedly famous chick pea fries. I heard they are temporarily off the menu so hopefully they will be on the next time I go. Book in advance - the place is small so a rez is always a good idea. Good place to take a date.Special Features:
- Of 3 pastas ordered...1 veryPSPSVIPDined on 11/29/2012Of 3 pastas ordered...1 very good, 1 good, 1 poor. Overly sweet pudding for dessert. Very nicely done rice balls and Sicilian salad of oranges and fennel. Very good wine selection. A small, neighborhood spot, blessed with quiet and a place to have a conversation over dinner...so rare! Why do so many restaurants insist on music louder than the diners voices?I
- WE enjoyed our first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/3/2012WE enjoyed our first visit to this little restaurant. Great food and wonderful service from two beautiful ladies. Thank you very much, we will be backSpecial Features: