14 Holmes Street
Mystic, CT 06355Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.engineroomct.com/
- Phone: 8604158117
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Christopher Vanasse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Engine Room
Downtown mystic's newest restaurant, featuring sixteen craft beers on tap, the area's largest bourbon selection, craft cocktails, a full wine list and a menu of locally sourced, creative American comfort food, with a focus on America's most beloved dish, the burger.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Engine Room - Best Restaurants in Mystic ›
Engine Room reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)neighborhood gem (31)vibrant bar scene (31)hot spot (30)great for outdoor dining (26)good for groups (23)great for lunch (19)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (11)special occasion (8)scenic view (7)great for brunch (4)romantic (4)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Great find!KDNYCVIPDined on 9/12/2014Staff was friendly and welcoming. Interesting menu, food delicious! Dining room was very loud but it was late on a Friday night and the bar area was very busy. Looked like fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Unfortunate brother to Oyster Club. Food was not good; service ok. What were you thinking?
- Superb!CrwnRoyal763Dined on 8/28/2014My wife and I vacationed in Mystic and found this restaurant by chance. Their selection of craft beer was second to none and the owner was great. This was the best restaurant meal my wife and I have had in some time. The ribeye steak was flawless. All food is fresh from local sources and an open kitchen made for a unique experience. We literally watched our food preparation start to finish. Including the slicing of the ribeye. Great find in small town!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchleeaannaDined on 8/23/2014We went for a lunch before a concert at Mohegun Sun. Was very tasty.. I wasn't as keen on the caramel popcorn but my husband was all over it. Both of our sandwiches were very tasty twist on favorites and were very plentiful And the fries were crispy instead of the usual soggy you get other places. Both of us got drafts as well which were very good and priced well. All in all was a great lunch and good prices.Special Features:
- Hit the marklikestoeatDined on 8/16/2014Table was ready on time, wait staff was friendly and attentive, food was excellent, one drink wasn't available, but the bartender improvised a replacement that was delicious.Special Features:
- Good beer and burger placelaxcatDined on 8/9/2014Very good beer selection. We had the fried oyster app which was excellent. The burgers were very good and filling. The fries were pretty good but a little too salty. This is a really cool place. I will be definitely going backSpecial Features:
- Don't Miss It!WinegirlDined on 7/28/2014I knew I wanted to eat here but someone warned me it was "just bar food." Well she was wrong!! The categories may sound like bar food i.e. burgers, sandwiches, bar bites, but everything on the menu is innovative and far from ordinary. My smoked pork burger was delicious and the fried calamari was some of the best I've ever had. We also had the sinfully amazing bacon fat caramel popcorn! The craft beer and bourbon selections are impressive and the 2 bourbon-based cocktails I had were distinctive and wonderful. I had originally made the reservation for 4 adults but our baby sitter canceled so we took the kids along. We did have an early dinner reservation but the laid-back atmosphere was very kid friendly. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Burgers and BeerEssexEdDined on 7/25/2014Great burgers and nice soft buns make this restaurant unique for the area - if you want a change from seafood, go to the Engine Room - very good service and very extensive beer choices, many on tap. Large bar area attracts younger crowd but it's family friendly as well. Limited outside seating but great for people watching in good weather.Special Features:
- It was OKJeffDined on 7/21/2014If you want a burger, this is a good spot. Think and juicy. Not much on the menu if you are into healthy eating. Lots of food made with pork and park fat. Adds to flavor, but.... Eating outside was nice and quite. Inside was quite noisy.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014Went for brunch on a Sunday. Food was delicious and the outdoor seating was nice. My only complaint is that the bathroom is a little too dark, especially after coming in from the daylight outside. Maybe have lights on a dimmer that can be brighter during the day and darker at night?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Craft Selections!SPlackDined on 7/19/2014Took my boyfriend for the first time and he was overwhelmed by the option of beer and bourbon on the list. Loved the special steak and wants to go back next weekend! Great times happen at the engine room.Special Features:
- Overall good experienceJusbeenhonestDined on 7/19/2014We were seated on time, the waitress was pleasant but not too interactive. The appetizers were better than the meal ( we had hush puppies and the hummus plate) the turkey burger was so so and my husband didn't think the BBQ brisket was that great either but our friends got large pastrami sandwiches that they liked. The atmosphere was great, especially the bar, very cool restoration of an old engine room. We will give it another try.Special Features:
- Fun, Upscale Burger BarLynnRajDined on 7/16/2014The Engine Room added a much needed dimension to downtown Mystic. A cool atmosphere, great burgers (turkey burger was even tasty), and a nice beverage selection. Everything, including the salads, has been well prepared and presented. Glad it's here!Special Features:
- Quite uniquepointmanDined on 7/14/2014a very unique menu. I might call it the new of the new. many different choices and items at reasonable prices. no real entrees, just 3 on menu. I am quite interested in trying the Proper Boozy Brunch on a Sunday very soon. A nice addition to the Mystic scene. a little noisy for my taste, especially on a Monday night. Might be part of the plan, tho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealPamalamaDined on 7/13/2014Service greasy. Food delicious. Got very noisy as the restaurant filled up. Love Dans other restaurant "The Oyster Club". Prefer the quiet atmosphere there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great burger barOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014Great food unusual food combinations but they work fantastically. Cornbread was one of the best I have ever had. Beer and bourbon menu was fanfreakintastic. Hidden gem down at Mystic seaportSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The steak was fabulous: tender, juicy and cooked to perfection. We were also there to listen and dance to Rock and Soul Revue so really appreciated the carafe of water on the table so we weren't dependent on the wait staff for refills.Special Features:
- Fun on a Saturday night in JuneKillrbugDined on 6/28/2014I went to Engine Room this past Saturday with my boyfriend and another couple. The food was great! The ambiance was unique. It was like sitting in an old industrial warehouse. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. Myself and another guest got special made drinks from the bartender and they were strong and delicious. My favorite appetizer was the hummus with fried chick peas on top and served with warm pita bread (just like how it should be served!). My boyfriend got the pulled brisket sandwich which he enjoyed. I ordered the NEW mushroom Mae burger and it was great. I ordered it medium and it was cooked to perfection, still juicy too. The couple ordered the BLT and the pork burger. Great place. I absolutely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go for the food...SuziDined on 6/14/2014Let me just say that this is a fun restaurant, in terms of atmosphere. But the menu and the food items everyone in my party had, was just so so and the price was steep. I would recommend the popcorn appetizer. Unique and delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/30/2014Good food. Crazy busy. Because of that, service wasn't the best. We sat in the bar area, right after they asked us if we would mind sitting in the bar..I said that we'd prefer the dining room. Strange. Very loud. Very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingeiysah83Dined on 5/29/2014The pork burger was outstanding. The beers are all local. I asked the bartender to just send me a glass of his favorite beer, it turned out to be one of the best beers I've ever had. Laid back, and just all around amazing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a good experiencepurplerainDined on 5/28/2014Food was very good. Wine pour was small. Was disappointed that there was no chance to swap out one side for another without a full side order charge. (wanted mac and cheese instead of a pile of fries, for a very small fish entree and it was $23.) They would do a salad instead for an extra $2. Pretty pricey for what it was, and pretty loud. Attractive space overall. Server was great, while working within the pricing constraints. Alcohol was overpriced.Special Features:
- DivineLauraDined on 5/28/2014We started with the caramel and bacon fat popcorn...delicious, of course. I had the grilled cheese with slab bacon, and it was everything I dreamed it would be, and more. Soft, fluffy bread, gooey, delicious cheese, and salty, thick pieces of bacon. I was in grilled cheese heaven. My husband had the french onion burger...also wonderful. Great, unique beer selection...some do get pricey, though.Special Features:
- The place to brGoMysticDined on 5/23/2014Good food, good service and great beer. Mystic's new hotspot. Make a reservation. When warm weather gets here you won't be able to get close to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 80 reviews are from the Engine Room reviews archive.
- noise deafeningjfm3Dined on 5/17/2014way too loud - difficult to carry on conversation. need to expand menu. great look & design of interior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burgers are greatlucyDined on 5/12/2014Onion burger, turkey burger, bacon burger. Can't beat the food at this fun placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BurgerskempedDined on 5/8/2014A wonderful spot for gourmet burgers, paired with a beer from the extensive list of craft beers. Great food and excellent service. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014It appeared that the waitstaff was struggling. Service was friendly but slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice industrial motifOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/30/2014Nice industrial motif Nice industrial motif Nice industrial motif Nice industrial motif Nice industrial motif Nice industrial motifSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lucyDined on 4/27/2014Tried the turkey burger today and it was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed the engine room totallyNateBDined on 4/25/2014My daughter frequents the engine room, and suggested it to me, I found the atmosphere great, and the food even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in SE ConnecticutCandyshapiroDined on 4/22/2014Although it is known for great burgers and salads, so much more is offered. Try the avacado appetizer! Such creativity here we can't wait to go back. Best Cobb salad ever. So many dishes to try.Special Features:
- Classy burger/ beer/ bourbon bar.Sir1Dined on 4/21/2014Had high hopes based on their other restaurant in Mystic. This place is casual, with a focus on burgers and a great beer and whisky selection. I would put it in the Plan B/ Max Burger category. Our server was not very attentive and made order mistakes, but I doubt that is the norm. I'd go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local menu, clean simple atmosphereTtbsuziqDined on 4/20/2014Small special menu of local items. I've had a variety and it has all been good. There are seats at the counter to watch the cooking. Check the menu online before going- being small and no substitutions you want to be sure they have what you want. The bar has large seat banks for groups. Nice selection of beverages- large bourbon selection. Service has always been good. I have noticed that being a local owned Resturant obviously the managers and owners know some locals, but they tend to pay special attention to those people. I'm not there to be their buddy, but I expect equal service for the prices I'm paying. All in all the food is worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so many beers...service kinda slowDebbieDebDebDined on 4/17/2014Food awesome. Beer awesome. Jeans to dresses. Awesome fun place. The only thing that was a turn off is our beer glasses were empty too long....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels like the city!CandyshapiroDined on 4/13/2014Everything about it was great. Ambience, attentive happy staff and food to crave. The Cobb salad coupled with the cornbread with maple butter makes me plan my next visit. So much to try. People next to us raving and asking about our choices and they were not foodies. The food appeals to everyone. Thank you for being, we desperately need some awesome casual food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Burgers, Nice AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014We were visiting Conn College from out of state and stopped here based on a friend's recommendation. Started with calamari which was fine, but nothing special. But lets face it, we came for the burgers. All of the burgers were of high quality, cooked perfectly and tasty. Fries were equally delicious. The burgers are the main reason for four stars. Good selection of craft beer. A little pricey for what you get and service was a little slow but we would try it again when we are back in the area.Special Features:
- Great burgershungryVIPDined on 4/12/2014A wonderful renovation job makes the old Riverwalk Cafe new and exciting. Great beer list and very tasty selection of burgers.Lots of other more upscale items on the menu, tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burgers and sandwichesTAG1Dined on 4/12/2014We went for a view.......were a bit disappointed on that front. However, the food is great. Keep in mind that this is primarily pub fare....but it takes it up a notch. Smoked burger as well as the brisket were among the best we've ever had. Staff is very nice and attentive. Overall the Engine Room has a nice vibe. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Fun Industrial YumminessBeachgirl24Dined on 4/10/2014Fabulous fun ambiance, great for a date night or a fun night with friends. Interesting food, fun burger selection and apps. We tried the Caramel Bacon Fat Popcorn- yummy! Excited to go back with my guy and try a few other choices and one of the great beers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.