Encore Restaurant - Steak, Seafood, Sushi
492 Pearl Street
Buffalo, NY 14202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Encore Restaurant - Steak, Seafood, Sushi
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://encorebuffalo.com/
- Phone: 716-931-5001
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
A word from Encore Restaurant - Steak, Seafood, Sushi
Encore is a two story 3000 square foot restaurant with a spacious outside patio perfect for Buffalo’s spring, summer and fall months. On the 1st floor people can enjoy pub fare and cocktails at the bar in casual but modern atmosphere. Furthermore customers can enjoy intimate dining in our custom private booth room. Hidden upstairs our main dining room awaits you. Guest can enjoy spacious semi formal dining with many attractions such as multiple fire places, high ceilings and our custom sushi station where guests can order from anywhere in or outside the building. Our patio can accommodate over a 150 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Encore Restaurant - Steak, Seafood, Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (8)good for groups (7)special occasion (7)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (4)neighborhood gem (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- not a full menuMurrayDined on 10/12/2014We arrived to the restaurant on a Sunday evening before a show at Sheas. The menu stated sushi and pub fare and specials. The special on the menu everyone wanted was already sold out by 5:30pm, there was no sushi and pub fare is not available nights the theatre is open. Steak was ok, but not really what we wanted.
- Treat yourself!LindaDined on 10/9/2014This is the place where you can have a great food in a quiet and classy place that has great service! I prefer to come here before each visit to Shea's is and it is the perfect way to begin the evening. Their dinner specials will enhance whatever you want to do next. So try it for yourself, and treat yourself and anyone else you want!Special Features:
- Expectation Failurelooking4greatfoodDined on 10/8/2014We choose this venue after a web search, it was very disappointing at best. We were greeted by a friendly hostess and sat upstairs at the very back of the dinning room beside the stairs were the servers constantly were coming and going, doing their job but very annoying. Our waiter seemed rushed and simply wanted us to order, we wanted a nice dining experience. Soup came cold, was send back to a microwave. Sea scallops looked more like bay scallops and were cooked to rubber while the risotto they were served with was a reheated glutinous mess, not creamy but just a blob on the plate, For dessert the strawberry cheesecake was a store bought piece of Sara Lee style with fountain syrup for sauce. Not fine dining, not even good pub food.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014Encore is a great place for dinner prior to the theater. Fast, friendly with very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChuckDined on 10/7/2014We went before a show--there were no real "specials", it was regular menu items grouped together and called the a "prix fixe" menu. We could not order from the pub menu since it was a show night, but the waitress didn't tell us until I tried to order (in little writing at the bottom of this menu is does, in fact, state Pub Menu not available on show nights". I ordered from the prix fixe--asiago stuffed chicken breasts with risotto. The chicken was dry and the risotto was a sticky pile of greasy rice. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! I will not go again...
- FANTASTICMIKEM5010Dined on 9/13/2014Our dining experience was awesome. Our server was as good as it gets . That is the first time in a long time that from start to finish , our meal was perfect.Special Features:
- KittyCatDined on 9/5/2014The sashimi tuna was more than a day old for its color was dark and not pink in color. The steak my husband order was AWFUL...could tell it was previously frozen. Plus it was requested to be medium rare and was served medium. For the almost $300.00 we spent (which included tip) it was not worth it at all. We had a better meal at Dinosaur BBQ next door and a quarter of the price. Really bummed out by this facility. :(
- Needs updating and cleaningFrancisco79Dined on 8/29/2014We were seated in the first floor in the booths they are a little tight and closed in behind a wall selling tiles were missing and it smelled musty inside. The waitress was great friendly and good service food was average nothing to rave about but was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxing and romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014I have been here several times and each time the service was outstanding and the food, incredible. Recently I went for the all you can eat sushi, for my husbands birthday. It was fabulous and the selection was terrific. Ambiance was romantic, and fun.Special Features:
- Great DinnerBNheadhunterDined on 7/29/2014We went here for their 'sushi night' - which is all you can eat sushi for $21 on Tuesday. The selection was good and prepared well, also the drinks were nice and stiff. My reason for marking 'Ambiance' 3 stars is because the bar room area (where you enter through) had a really sticky floor, the dining area was nice though.Special Features:
- The following 353 reviews are from the Encore Restaurant - Steak, Seafood, Sushi reviews archive.
- Great food terrible serviceFoodieluvDined on 6/14/2014The food was amazing as it always is every time I go to Encore. The service, however, left something to be desired. It took 20 minutes for our waiter to finally come to the table. It took another 15 for just our drinks to which the waiter used the excuse that the bartender got backed up making drinks, although the restaurant was not busy at 9pm which at this point it already was from our 8:15 arrival. Salads arrived promptly as did our entrees but then we had to wait another 15 minutes for the check then when paying with both cash and credit card, the server brought back the charge card portion of the bill first... Then another 20 minutes later, we decided to just leave rather than wait for the cash portion change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerMickeyDined on 6/14/2014If you like BBQ especially the smell you would have loved it. We have dined here numerous time and enjoyed our dinners, Saturday evening was aweful. My rossotto was dry and tasteless which was very disappointing. Scallops where perfect the chicken had no taste. Salads where terrible. I think they may have changed chefs. Sorry to say we will not be going back to soon.Special Features:
- Stellar Experience, Meal & ServicemattyDined on 6/14/2014Encore is a place that I go to far too infrequently. The food is always outstanding as well as the service. Mike the manager always makes you feel very welcome and at home. This evening we had the pasta bolognese and the scallops as well as one of their specialty sushi rolls. Everything was rich and delicious and we were not able to finish our meals because we were stuffed. We went before a show at Shea's and the the service was fast and precise. I would recommend Encore for any occasion but especially if you have something to do downtown.Special Features:
- JTJRSDined on 6/10/2014We attended City of Buffalo Animal Shelter fund raiser at Encore and won a gift certificate there. Having tickets to Evita, we decided to use it last Tuesday and I am so glad we did. Everything...from our Manhattan at the bar to dinner and service on the second floor was outstanding! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliably greatsheagoerDined on 6/10/2014We always enjoy Encore and know that we'll be warmly received, enjoy great food and great service. Wish they offered cappuccino rather than regular coffee to finish off the evening - but otherwise, it's always very good. Very convenient to the theatre.Special Features:
- Awkward?looking4qualityDined on 5/23/2014Felt like an uninvited guest. Stepped into an empty restaurant with 2-3 people sitting at bar. Waited by hostess stand and the bartender looked over but didn't say anything. The hostess came out from the back and she was the friendliest person of the night. Greeted me with a smile and was very nice. We were waiting for another couple so we sat at the bar for a cocktail. Bartender did his job but was not welcoming at all. Neither was our waitress. Restaurant was empty yet she was inattentive and always seemed eager to disappear. Food was restaurant chain quality and I expected much better. After this experience I'm no longer surprised that it was empty on a Friday night.
- Good but not memorableSurveyChickDined on 5/8/2014The overall building was nice, a lot of old architecture. But other than that, it was just another place to burn time until your show starts at Sheas. The wine selection was good and affordable. We started with a special sushi roll, the Joe Roll. It was good, but the saracha right on top of the pieces was a little much, and I love heat and spice. My roommate ordered the salmon, it was a little over cooked and the macadamia nut topping did nothing for either of us. I got the asiago stuffed chicken, my only complaint was that they tried to pass off rice as risotto. But I'm always willing to try a place one more time before I make a final decision about it.
- Steak, seafood, sushi... NO SUSHI!?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014I was more than disappointed with my experience at encore this Sunday. I booked the reservation for my mother and I before seeing the show at Shea's. I specifically chose encore because of their sushi, come to find out it's not available on Sundays because encore "isn't normally open on Sundays" if there is a limited menu on show nights that should be stated on the website, when a reservation is made, in the confirmation email, and the hostess should also provide that information. The service was so slow we waited 15-20 minutes for our waitress all the while deciding which sushi we were going to order! What a waste. What an awful impression for my mom and how embarassing for me!
- What not to sayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014Sushi bar is closed, we are also out of lettuce wraps - no strawberries either.Special Features:
- Good food, great servicepasbuffaloVIPDined on 5/2/2014Our party of four had dinner here recently. On the plus side, the menu is extensive, with something for everyone. All things considered, our dinner was decent. Two in our group shared the crab cake appetizer and followed that with the asiago stuffed chicken and lobster pot pie for entrees. The chicken entrée went over much better than the pot pie. Another in our party ordered sashimi and sushi and said it was very good. I started with an iceberg wedge salad and followed with the macadamia nut butter roasted salmon. My meal was good, but not great. We decided to return for a post-theatre drink. Sadly, the music was way too loud, as was the crowd at the bar.Special Features:
- consistantly goodCynthiaDined on 5/1/2014I,ve been here several times with various people for different occasions. From romantic to large party. The food , service and atmospher has always been wonderful. That's why I keep returning and showing it off. The Encore steaks are amazing. Cooked to perfection and reasonably priced with specials and deals every week. Try it You be looking forward to getting there. It's close to the Sheas Buffalo and the HSBC .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and the TheaterluvdowtowntheaterDined on 4/30/2014Encore is a great place for dinner before or after a Shea's performance. It is located across the street from Shea's, so it is a convenient walk without having to move your car. The food and service are excellent. They also have a great wine list. The restaurant opens at 5 pm, but the owner does let you in to sit at the bar if the matinee performance lets out early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whitney's PlaceMurphDined on 4/12/2014Great ambiance at the private tables. Management was very cordial and accommodative as a third party pre-ordered a bottle of wine that was on the table waiting for us. Server (see above) should have been a bit more relaxed as courses came a bit too quickly for us. Crusted salmon was delicious as were the lobster rangoon starters. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can,t wait to come backStellaDined on 4/11/2014This past visit to the resturant was the second time I have been there. The first time, we went prior to an event at Shea's the the girls. I could not wait to take my husband there for his birthday. Everything was outstanding. I can't wait to go back on my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Encore deserves an ovationDassmanDined on 4/11/2014We invited friends to join us for dinner before attending a night of comedy at 710 Main. Drinks were excellent, as always, and the are one of the few restaurants to serve Buffalo's own Lockhouse vodka. Dinner entrées were excellent, and included scallops for us as well as salmon for our guests. Encore restaurant, in the heart of the Theater District, is one of our favorite places to eat in Buffalo New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014A vendor came in from out of town with his hotel in Downtown Buffalo. Encore was well within walking distance, so I made reservations on OpenTable the day before (when the restaurant was closed) with no issue. Our booth had high backs, so we had efficient privacy to talk business without getting distracted by people around us. The food and drinks were great; I had Cab, my co-worker had draft beer, and our vendor had whiskey and Coke, and the unlimited sushi was fantastic. The deep fried rolls were lighter, the raw stuff was fresh, and all delivered in a timely manner. The service was completely acceptable; we've all come from service jobs ourselves, so it's not like our standards are ridiculous. Overall, it's good-I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodCurrankeDined on 4/5/2014Did the restaurant week menu. Food was good. I had the chicken which was good but the rice was plain. Guest had the steak which was good. Ordered dessert after. Got the chocolate cake and it was very chocolatey, just the way I like it. Definitely would get that again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for Restaurant Weekaskfor2ndsDined on 4/5/2014The food was delicious, and our server, Emily, was excellent. There was zero wait before getting seated (albeit we did have a reservation). Food came out quick, and as ordered. Our glasses were refilled well before we could finish them. Great place for a date!Special Features:
- Excellent sushi!hooper4687Dined on 4/4/2014Quaint environment with tasty food options including a phenomenal seafood bisque and a variety of sushi rolls. Would recommend for any occasion. Bar tenders are very helpful and friendly, willing to accomodate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hemingway's ReincarnatedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014Encore is the former Hemingways. They still have the outdoor patio but it was closed due to rain. Myself and 2 friends went for Restaraunt Week. The online menu did not match the actual special (online said soup + salad + entree and it was soup or salad). However, meals good. I had sushi, made fresh and seafood bisque; rich and creamy. One friend had the strawberry goat salad and other ceaser; both enjoyable. Then the pasta (very generous portion) and salmon, though the complaint salmon was a tad dry. Nice wine list. I had St Germain/champagne cocktail with strawberry; delicious! Not many places serve St. Germain. Has upstairs (where we sat). General menu seemed pricey but located across from Sheas.Special Features:
- Gem in the theatre districtrcwarnerDined on 4/3/2014Greeted warmly & seated promptly upon arrival. Quickly provided water then greeted by server who explained the menu & specials, took our drink order & let us decide on or meal. We were provided with a small basket of rolls along with garlic butter, olive oil/balsamic & roasted red pepper paste. Decided on the lobster rangoons for an appetizer. They were nicely presented & very good. Both of us then had the seafood bisque. It also was very good. I enjoyed my flat iron steak & my wife enjoyed her salmon & risotto. The waiter was properly attentive & did not rush us. He was even patient when we noticed two friends & had them join us for a drink, thus tying up the table a bit longer. We would eat here again and recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant experience, eventually.TDeutDined on 3/25/2014Service started out very slow but eventually improved. Overall a pleasant experience. Would go again and hope the service was better. While pleasant, service was very slow and drinks were forgotten and had to be asked for well after the initial order was taken.Special Features:
- Great Place !patronoftheartsDined on 3/15/2014Third time we've been here and once again, Encore exceeded our expectations! Food was outstanding, service was excellent and quality of experience was far greater than the actual monetary price we paid . The ambience is warm, rather soothing, and ALL Encore staff we have encountered have been top notch.Special Features:
- Great place before a showLaraDined on 3/14/2014Encore is our go-to place before a show at Shea's- great sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Encore is always due an EncoreDassmanDined on 3/13/2014As always, this is one of our favorite restaurants in Buffalo; whether pre-theatre or just a great place to have a drink and a great meal! In the heart of the Theatre District, where there are many great restaurants, Encore distinguishes itself with a great, friendly bar staff as well as excellent service. You never feel rushed, even pre-theatre, and the staff go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. What makes it truly memorable, however, is the quality and freshness of their offerings. Their specials are not to passed over and, in addition to their extensive menu, they are always willing to make substitutions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi - yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/11/2014My friend & I went to Encore before seeing a show at Shea's. We both LOVE sushi and had heard excellent things so we ordered 3 of the specialty rolls - they were all delicious and HUGE! We couldn't finish them all but plan on coming back for all you can eat sushi at a later date. We also can't wait to try the dessert soon too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Encore Restaurant Buffalo NYKathyDined on 3/11/2014We went to Encore before a play at Shea's. It was a great experience as always. We had a table but ended up sitting at the bar. They were VERY nice about this switch as I am sure they could have given the table to someone else had they new... I would highly recommend Encore to others...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/11/2014Encore is our top choice for dining whenever we attend an event in Buffalo's theatre/entertainment district. We like the special menu on event nights. Seafood bisque is terrific and all of the four entree choices are good the stuffed chicken breast and the skirt steak are my favorites. They make a darn good martini too. The regular menu is extensive and although I wouldn't touch it the sushi offerings seem very popular. The service is very efficient and we have never had to worry about missing the start of a show. Very nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJaneDined on 3/8/2014We were excited about going from reading the menu on the website. When we arrived, we were told that there was a different menu, and it did not have any of the items that brought us to the restaurant to begin with. The food was just OK, and the wine list was very limited.
- FantasticFoodmanDined on 3/7/2014The setting was wonderful as the tables were secluded from the bar area. The service was fantastic since the place was small and they were on top of everything. The seafood we had was fantastic as well! The prices are well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.