Encore Champagne Bar and Dining Room
531 F Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Encore Champagne Bar and Dining Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.encoregaslamp.com/
- Phone: 6192555152
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday
Bar open until midnight Sunday-Thursday and until 2am Friday & Saturday.
Champagne Social Hour daily from 4-7pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Ryan Studebaker
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Encore Champagne Bar and Dining Room
Located at the corner of F Street and 6th Avenue in the Historic Gaslamp Quarter, Encore’s extensive selection of Champagne and Sparkling wine will accompany a menu by Chef Ryan Studebaker that focuses on shared plates from our ever-changing bistronomy menu that boasts meats, fish and produce from local markets so we are always season-fresh. Our menu preserves tradition with pairings including caviar, oysters, fromage and the likes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Encore Champagne Bar and Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Encore Champagne Bar and Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (17)special occasion (16)hot spot (15)notable wine list (13)good for groups (13)romantic (13)fit for foodies (12)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (8)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Cute trendy bar - blah dinner menuJrsygirlDined on 8/16/2014This place is trendy and adorable. I heard they have a great champagne brunch. We were told it would be a great romantic dinner...NO WAY! It fits as an adorable girlie bar. He dinners menu consists of flat read and burgers. Great for a snack for girls night while drinking it not a "romantic dinner" venue. Although super cute idea and I loved the ambiance... They really do need a real dinner menu. We left because we wanted a real meal. They need to either promote themselves as a bar or do something about their dinner menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodYamahazingVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great food, nice, happening place. Service was friendly and sufficient. Good place for people watchingSpecial Features:
- Nice respite in the noisy GaslampDianekdeDined on 7/26/2014We come to Comic-con every year and wanted to try a new place. The Gaslamp Quarter is bustling at that time of year and its great to get out of the crowds. The champagne menu was excellent and the food menu was inventive. This may become an annual tradition.Special Features:
- Great time!MalibuBarbieDined on 7/18/2014Late drinks & apatizers for my birthday. I had reservations and everything was great! I do wish they would update their web site menu. It didnt match the menu in the restaurant. I was looking forward to some of the items i had scoped out earlier. But it was great and the desserts were dee-lish!Special Features:
- Amazing!!!!FoodLoverDined on 7/13/2014The duck confit risotto is to die for, the drinks are delicious, and the decor is gorgeous!Special Features:
- Good find, good food, good pricesAnneDDined on 6/4/2014Encore was suggested by a downtown local who had heard great things but had not yet been. We were there during happy hour, so the prices were less. We opted for beer, champagne and a variety of appetizers to try more things. The asparagus was amazing, the pate also very good. Gnocchi was better than average. Hummus excellent. One odd thing, tho: since happy hour is really a 2 for 1 purchase (not 50% off), we were served a double champagne but since it doesn't fit in a champagne glass, our lovely server Nicolette used a wine glass. This is not a big deal, but they aren't the same. To call yourself a champagne place and then not serve champagne properly is an operational blunder. Cool private room 4-6. Can also eat watching chef!Special Features:
- We'll Be Back!1lovincoupDined on 5/25/2014I took my girlfriend to Encore to celebrate 🎉 her birthday. We loved the interior design. The music was bumping and the mimosas was some if the best some of the best I've had in a long time. The duck hash was and oysters were excellent along with the great service. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spotTinaEDined on 5/24/2014I decided to book this restaurant for a ladies night out (small group of just 3). One of my friends loves champagne and since she is a bride to be we wanted to celebrate before her wedding day! When I booked the reservation through OpenTable, I just left a simple note in the comments: "Bride to be dinner, would love the best seats in the house." When we arrived, we were taken to private tasting room!!! We felt very special! Not only were we treated a little more special than just any night out, but the food and champagne flights were delicious! I recommend the Duck w/risotto! Loved our 1st experience at this new hot spot in down town!Special Features:
- Gorgeous place for date night :)icnhDined on 5/23/2014Great place for date night, food is great, the place has a lovely decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceBforDined on 5/16/2014I made a reservation for four, for a girl's night and graduation celebrations. We were greeted with pleasure by the hostess and she sat us at a cute spot in front of the restaurant, next to a window. Two of us sat first while the rest of the girls came later. The hostess was so great she followed up with graduate celebration greetings as the rest of our party walked in a few minutes behind us. The food was delicious. All of us ordered something completely different on the menu: Lamp chops, NY strip steak, Albacore salad, and the duck. Everything was yummy! The champagne was extraordinary. The desserts were amazing. The service exceeded my expectations! I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- New & NeededOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/8/2014Selected because I like bubbles. Everything was great! Love the decor. Food & drinks were great. Service was good too. I would recommend the cheese plate- wonderful. When in San Diego, I will return. Nice job, Encore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!!SDFoodieVIPDined on 5/4/2014Went for brunch yesterday morning to use a Gilt City certificate I purchased a couple of months back that was expiring. They have 3 seating areas here all look really great. We opted for the dining room which was lovely. Our service was awesome. Unfortunately can't remember our servers name, but she was friendly and very accommodating. We started with Mimosas and two pastries. The first was a bacon cheddar scone (life altering) and the other was a cinnamon muffin. For entrees, on our server's recommendation, we had the Duck Hash and Steak Benny. Both plates were beautifully presented and tasted just as good. We definitely want to come back for the dinner service and to try out some more of the plentiful champagne varieties.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2014We went with a couple of friends to celebrate their engagement. The drinks were disappointing - Cosmo was too sweet. Sent it back for a dirty martini. The food was bland. I don't recommend the lamb chops. My buddy ordered the burger and it was average. More hype than substance, overall.
- Great Food...Service Needs WorkBrianVIPDined on 4/25/2014The place was very unwelcoming at first--velvet rope and bouncer at restaurant (not bar) entrance, with no host, and he barely spoke to us, much less asked if we had a reservation. A host came, was very unclear, but we followed anyway, not sure if she planned to seat us and we stood around waiting for 2-3 minutes in the way to see if that would happen. Once seated, we didn't get greeted by a server, nor were we offered water or a drink menu for another 5+ minutes. The waiter knew the menu well and made great recommendations. Food was amazing. However, he recommended a type of champagne, the entry bottle price of which was $42. They were out of that & the next was $55. They were out of that & the next was $70. It felt like a game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Background Music-ughartshellDined on 4/22/2014The background music was so loud that we could not hear ourselves think or carry on a normal conversation. We were in the private room! The place is not a nightclub so this level of music was unexpected and unacceptable.Special Features:
- The following 25 reviews are from the Encore Champagne Bar and Dining Room reviews archive.
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014We dined at Encore before a concert at the Balboa Theater. We enjoyed the food and service very much. The dining room/bar was very noisy, so Michael graciously seated us in a private room. From that point on everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What ?...But the food was good...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2014Sunday brunch and we wanted to sample some champagnes...This would be the perfect place right? Well, we couldn't hear ourselves talk over the din of the large parties yelling over each other. The acoustics were horrible. The food on the other hand, was very good. The Rustica salad is easy to recommend. The champagnes flights left a little to be desired, but was enjoyed by all. But hey, it's Sunday and we are drinking champagne, what can go wrong?Special Features:
- Such a cute-sexy spot!JaimiVIPDined on 3/16/2014My hubby and I went on a Sunday afternoon and really enjoyed ourselves. It happened to be a quiet sunny day, we just sat at the bar and enjoyed looking out the windows. I had the champagne flight and a delish salad with tuna, oh and french fries:) My hubby had the steak sandwich and a margarita (or two). We both loved our meal and the experience and will definitely go back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing champagne selection!shanahDined on 3/15/2014Amazing champagne selection! Great food (try the apple cinnamon cobbler, creamy polenta or macadamia nut French toast) sexy decor, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place overallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014I love Encore. I mostly come in for drinks in the bar area. I love the staff and the decor. I ate in the dining area recently and found the food to be outstanding. However, the portion sizes were way too small. I split a Ceasar salad with a friend and ordered we both ordered a Jidori chicken each and we were both hungry after. There should have been at least one more piece of chicken and more vegetables or something for the $19 we paid for that chicken. This is my only criticism. It's a big one because unless the portion sizes increase, I don't think I will be eating here again because what's the point of eating somewhere to pay a big price and still be hungry after right?Special Features:
- Lounge Area vs Dining AreaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014I got disappointed that I had a table reservation that was made a week ago and I was seated at the bar in the dining area!!! I wasn't even given the opportunity or choice to be seated at the lounge area even though I had a reservation!Special Features:
- Great BrunchkaragDined on 3/1/2014Myself and 3 girlfriends met for brunch at Encore Champagne and we had the best time. We made reservations for 10:30 and our waitress was adorable and so sweet. The food was delicious, I highly recommend the french toast! We ordered the bottomless mimosas which was a great deal and were great! The table was a little small for four people, but we didn't mind. We had a great time and really enjoyed the atmosphere. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Good Food, Poor ServiceScottGVIPDined on 2/27/2014The food was good, but the service was poor. The potato gnocchi and sweet spicy shrimp rocked, but the piquillio peppers were not at all what we expected - and we even asked the waiter about them. The service was terribly slow and it wasn't very busy. The waiter wasn't not very polite or knowledgable of the menu and rarely checked in on us. One time we were completely out of food, drink, and water and he gave a glance at our table as he walked by, but then did not return for 10 min. We ordered more food and a glass of wine - he brought out an empty wine glass 5 min later, that sat there for another 15 min until it was it was finally filled with the wine. If We go there again, hope to get a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticGayaniDined on 2/22/2014I chose this venue for my boyfriend's birthday. It was a memorable evening. The wine room was intimate, the service superb, and the food impeccable. The champagne selection and recommendations were excellent and reasonably priced. We felt very well taken care of. It felt like a private party for us. I will definitely come here again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overly ZealousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2014We had a great night and time at the Encore Champagne bar, my only complaint is that we asked for the food to be staggered and it all came within 2 minutes of each other. Then every 3 minutes someone (either our server or other servers) came to our table to ask if they could take our plates away. We really just wanted to enjoy eating slowly and enjoying the mean since 2 of us are moms who rarely get the opportunity to have a fancy meal we can slowly eat and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!NMShirDined on 2/16/2014This place was amazing from the moment we walked in the door. The decor is beautiful without being pretentious. Our server, Miranda, was the best I have experienced in a long time. The food was delicious. We all had different things and completely devoured it. This is a classy, upscale place that is not stuffy or full of itself. If you are looking for something outside the typical bar, then I recommend Encore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chef's tableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014We sat at the chef's table and had the best time! Special requests were no problem. The flavors were unique and the presentation precice and mouthwatering. We just loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missSamDiegoVIPDined on 2/15/2014We went to Encore on a Saturday night at 7 and when we arrived, they had trouble seating us although we had reserved on OpenTable several weeks prior. We ordered 6 dishes between 2 people to share; portions were perfect and ingredients good, but the end result was hit or miss. The pate was dry and crumbly and the salmon in the "tartare" had been hot smoked and then mashed into a salmon salad of sorts. The gnocchi was dense and mushy with bacon that had not been close to fully rendered. On the other hand, the carpaccio, duck risotto, and panna cotta were all some of the best we've ever had. Throughout, the servers were pleasant but untrained. I'm sure some of this can be attributed to being opened recently, but will not be returning.Special Features:
- Elegant new restaurant !!!!JoanVIPDined on 2/15/2014Encore Champagne Bar has only been open for a short time, but recommended by friends. We were cautious knowing that it usually takes time for a new restaurant to "settle in". This one is off and running with no glitches. Everything was perfect. We started with a glass of Roederer Brut Champagne with some delicious starters, My husband had scallops as an entree' while I enjoyed Ahi Tuna cooked to perfection with a tasty baby arrugola and tomato salad. Every dish is a work of art. The wine list is an outstanding selection of Champagnes, sparkling wines and still wines. Our server, Franchesca, was really friendly and professional,. There is a lively bar and dining room are beautiful. This is an upscale, extremely elegant restaurant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Encore ExperienceCharleyDined on 2/14/2014Great food quality and presentation. Portions were just right. Service was excellent. Decor is modern and appealing, Caviar presentation for $50.00 was disappointing--4 small pieces of bread with tiny amount of caviar overpowered by flavor of lox. Skip that and enjoy everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's NightDinnerout91Dined on 2/14/2014Terrific night out at a brand new spot in the Gaslamp. The idea of a champagne bar seemed perfect for Valentine's Day. Considering the nature of the evening, I thought most of the clientele were under-dressed, but the overall ambience of the bar & restaurant was nice, and the service was great. The chef even came out to speak with the customers. Well worth a second visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okScmexDined on 2/14/2014We were seated immediately which was great,we ordered appetizers and drinks but our drinks did not come until after we were done with the appetizers. We ordered another drink and that never came. We were asked what the drink was again after the meals were complete, but there was no point and we asked for the check. The food was good and the servers were very nice, but the timing or what felt like lack of service made this a one time dining experience. Great to try once but that's about it. Very disappointing. We were celebrating my husbands birthday and it sure put a damper on the dinner. It was noted in the reservation that it was a birthday celebration too.Special Features:
- A Fantastic Dining OptionkarenDined on 2/7/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my reservation at Encore and took advantage of the many choices of champagne offered. The duck confit risotto was truly delicious. My server was very knowledgeable as to the food preparations as well as the various champagnes. It was a very vibrant restaurant that I would gladly return to.Special Features:
- Excellent Service, top qualityRolfNDined on 2/1/2014Excellent Service, top quality food and presentation, great experience and highly recommendableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot that just openedEATRAVELOVEDined on 1/25/2014Great spot that just opened in downtown. Staff is super friendly and they have great champagne list. Food is good too. Great GNO Spot before you start the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a really fun littleLittleBubblesDined on 1/25/2014It was a really fun little spot. There were 8 girls with all kinds of special diets (vegetarian, paleo, etc), so I feel like we were kind of a pain and the server was extremely gracious when dealing with us. When we finally got our food, there were a few mistakes (salads came without ingredients listed on the menu, descriptions of some items was not what came out of the kitchen), but again, the server was on top of it and corrected everything within seconds. I will say that the portions are on the smaller side. I have never been anywhere with this group of girls where everyone has had a starter and an entree and finished it all, but on this night, there was nothing left on a single plate. I would go back again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsgalaphile361Dined on 1/25/2014There was literally no aspect of the evening that didn't amaze, or at least impress. Get the duck confit risotto, whatever you do - literally the best culinary experience of my entire life. Perfect blend of flavors. Champagne list was extensive, and they had several flights available - one of even the top shelf bottles. Menu is set up incredibly well for sharing, which really contributes to the experience. Cocktails didn't knock my socks off, but all were a creative, interesting blend of flavors. I think they're just outdone by the food. Potato gnocchi and ceviche were very good as well. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply delishFoodieDined on 1/24/2014We really enjoyed the whole experience. Quite impressed it was only open 10 days. The decor is fabulous. The food was delish. The pork cheeks, was a table favorite. The crab roll and tuna stuffed pepper was kinda cold and lacking flavor, otherwise great experience and tasty cocktails as well as champagne.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/17/2014I really enjoyed Encore from the architecture and look and feel, to the service, and the food. I had the Albacore Tuna and everything about the dish was cooked and flavored to perfection. I had the opportunity to go with a group of people and even though it was only their third night open and the place was packed, the hostess, wait staff, and bartenders were on top of everything and were quick to answer questions, knowledegable about the champagne list and the menu, and helpful in providing suggestions. Overall I think Encore is a winner and would be a great place for a group dinner (make reservations in advance), for a romantic dinner for two, or for a drink at the bar to in one of the many lounge areas that provide couches and seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & ambiance!VillaniDined on 1/17/2014First time at Encore and my wife and I were treated great! We were greeted when we came in the door and had a nice table by the window. Our waiter, Taylor, was very helpful and had many great recommendations. The Gnocci was amazing! It had bacon in it and by far one of the best dishes I have ever had. The service was great as well as all the food and drinks! The only concern I had was the size of the table. It was quite small and they put the buckt with our champagne in it on the tanle so it made little room for our food. Next time I will be sure to ask for a bigger table. Had a great time and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.