Empire Steakhouse - 237 West 54 Street off of Broadway
237 West 54th Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Empire Steakhouse - 237 West 54 Street off of Broadway
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.empiresteakhousenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 586-9700
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday and Monday: 11:00am - 11:30pm
Tuesday through Thursday: 11:00am - 12:30am
Friday and Saturday: 11:00am - 1:00am
Serving Breakfast from:
6:00am - 11:00am Monday - Friday
7:00am - 11:00am Weekends and Holidays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jack Sinanaj
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Empire Steakhouse - 237 West 54 Street off of Broadway
Empire Steak House, conveniently located at 237 west 54 street near Broadway, showcases modern décor in a classy, but trendy atmosphere. The all-white marble bar and sprawling dining room provide an additional air of sophistication. While Empire's steaks are acclaimed for its famous dry-aged porterhouse for two, the rest of the vast menu is equally stellar, featuring a wide range of fresh seafood such as 4-to 5-lb lobsters, Chilean Sea Bass, Salmon, Yellow Fin Tuna, towering seafood platters, and much more. The eatery offers a highly selective wine list and features many of California's most sought after vintages. The Zagat rated restaurant is owned and operated by the Sinanaj family. The Sinanaj’s success dates back to their first restaurant opening of Empire Steak House in 2010. The space is 4,500 square feet and can accommodate 230 guests for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, private rooms available!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Empire Steakhouse - 237 West 54 Street off of Broadway reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (40)romantic (34)good for groups (25)notable wine list (24)fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (17)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Horned Frogs in NYCHornedFrog73Dined on 11/18/2014The restaurant service matched, no, exceeded the menu. Luigi was our captain for a group of 22 diners. His assistance in making such a large group comfortable, welcomed and well fed was most appreciated. His counsel in ordering family style appetizers, sides and deserts was very helpful. I think all in our party thoroughly enjoyed the entre offerings. The wait staff was extremely attentive, all under the direction of Luigi, who may be the most endearing and helpful captain I have experienced in years. I highly recommend Empire Steakhouse for any large group that doesn't want to break the national budget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food ... Not such good servicejojofofoDined on 11/14/2014Seated promptly, but it took a few moments to get menus. Had to ask for the pre-theatre menu - it is not given to you unless you ask. Food was excellent and more than ample portions. We ordered a side, and gad to remind our server twice that we were waiting for it... And it was worth the wait. After our dinner was cleared, we seemed to disappear from everyone's radar! It took about 10 minutes before we were asked if we wanted dessert / coffee. And again, after dessert, we needed to ask for our bill... And then needed to ask again for the receipt to sign. I thought this was a great surprise, and fantastic find ... But the issues with the service might affect our de idiot to return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much of a good thingBarbpnycVIPDined on 11/12/2014It's a good thing when the wait staff keeps their eyes on your table...to refill a glass when it's nearing empty....or checking in after they've served a course that the food is acceptable. But this team is out of control. One sip into a glass of water, and there's a pitcher in your face. Every 5 or so minutes there's a waiter or maitre d asking if everything is ok. When the steak knives were delivered, they arrived with an announcement...actually 2 announcements...1 for each diner..."here are your steak knives" as they reached across us to put them on the table. Finally, after having our conversation interrupted a dozen or more times, when the second maitre d arrived...for the 2nd time...asking "is everything all right?"...we asked that we not be interrupted so often and that everything was just fine. We resumed our conversation, at which point the maitre d called over one of the waiters tableside, and loudly proclaimed that he wasn't to interrupt us again. At that point it had become funny. Unfortunately, none of the rest of the staff got the "do not disturb" memo so we gave up trying to actually have a conversation. But the food was delicious. The rib-eye perfectly cooked. The crab meat appetizer was fresh and briny and the cocktail sauce perfectly spiced. I'd highly recommend for the food. And would suggest you put in a "we'll call you when we need you" request with the waiter. Attentive is good. Intrusive, not so much.Special Features:
- Great for dinner before the theater!HomebrewerNJDined on 11/12/2014Right across the street from Cabaret and around the corner from the Ed Sullivan Theater where Late Night with David Letterman is recorded. Filet Mignon was larger than we expected and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Empire steak houseSgoldieDined on 11/8/2014Our meal was delicious and our waiter was outstanding. It was an amazing experience and a wonderful lead in to an afternoon matinee on Broadway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SteakJGSjrDined on 11/5/2014Some friends from work and I wanted to have a "Mad Men" dinner of steak and martinis on our layover in New York, and found Empire Steak as a candidate - we couldn't have made a better choice. The wait staff doted over my two female associates, the food was perfect steakhouse cuisine, and the atmosphere, while not what Don Draper would have experienced, was wonderfully comfortable. While good food is not too difficult to find - great service and attention is a lost art in many major cities today - fortunately, places like Empire Steak are keeping the tradition alive.Special Features:
- For the touristsBigKahunaVIPDined on 11/3/2014Has the prices of the top steakhouses like Del Frisco or Bobby Vans but not the high caliber of service or food. Crowd all looked like tourists.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Flew in late with my colleague from Chicago and were worried we'd be stuck with fast food until we saw Empire. Amazing food. I've never had sea bass as flavorful as this and the sautéed spinach was impeccable, not overwhelming with garlic like most places do. My colleague had the rib eye, it was a perfect piece. The management and service is perfect here. I would say they set a standard for New York steak house in food, service and a great atmosphere. I'm happy to have found my Go to spot in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak in NYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Took my girlfriend for a day in the city for her birthday and this made for a better ending then I could've imagined. The hostess and managers were so good to us, constantly checking on how we were doing. We started with a bottle of wine recommended to us by our waiter, he ended up making the perfect choice for us. We started with the Tuna Tartar and Portobello Mushroom, absolutely amazing, you'll never find a Tuna Tartar this good anywhere else. For our main course my girlfriend had the filet (most tender I've ever seen) and I had the Prime Sirloin, I've never had a steak this good in my life. So much flavor and cooked perfectly to medium rare. I will definitely be back, best steak house in nyc!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem.PattyDined on 10/31/2014Although attached to a hotel, this is not a typical hotel dining room. Excellent staff, managers visible, good wine list, attentive service and the surprise of complimentary Port at the end of our meal. We will very likely fine at Empire again on a future visit to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MontyVIPDined on 10/24/2014The chiliean sea bass was excellent as was the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dreadful Experience.honestfeedbackDined on 10/22/2014October 2014: - No ambience: this is a touristy, midtown crowd, and the ambience does not match the high-end menu. - Dishonest staff: We ordered a 4-pound lobster and it was tiny; the Maitre'D explained in full sincerity that ours was a female (4-pound) lobster, and that female lobsters are smaller than male lobsters, so that's why ours was so small. This was ridiculous and almost funny. The hostess insisted I leave my fairly expensive umbrella in the bucket, and it was gone when I went to look for it after the meal. The hostess admitted she had allowed someone to take it. - Comfortable seating: We were shown to a spacious corner booth. - Tasty entrees: The medium ribeye and the steamed lobster were delicious, albeit small.
- ExcellentVinceDined on 10/17/2014Everything was awesome. We put in our reservation notes that we were celebrating an anniversary and they surprised us with a free desert.Special Features:
- Very goodDavidlillianVIPDined on 10/8/2014First visit to this steakhouse. Had been to the one on 52nd street. Everything was very good but the steakhouse was very quiet for a Wednesday. Only a few tables occupied. It is very good and people should give it a trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/4/2014Everything was absolutely wonderful. The food and service were without equal.Special Features:
- Empire SteakthefatmanDined on 9/28/2014great deal on all inclusive offerings (nice sized filet prime dry aged steak and colossal shrimps) and Sea Bass was a very good sized piece of fish, tasted fantastic and cooked perfectly and the price was as good as I have seen.Special Features:
- Look for the specialsRayalDined on 9/27/2014A bit pricey but the food was excellent as was the service. Best steak I've had in years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014We took the menu with sirloin steak and grilled shrimps . Not so bad but.... We expected more from a Steak house in NY. The meat was well done cooked instead of medium and a bit hard. The service was kind but invasive. They were allways filling up our glasses with wine in order to sell us another bottle !!!
- Average, but not special.EricVIPDined on 9/4/2014There are so many great steak restaurants, in New York City. Unfortunately, this one tries to be among them, but isn't. Considering the prices, I expected greatness. But, I found the meat to be only average and not up to the standards I've considered for NYC. I also had to flag down my waiter to ask for the bill. Considering that the place was less than 50% full, I expected more attention.
- Not as enjoyable this timeBBQloverDined on 8/25/2014I've eaten here twice below and the food was good. I had the sirloin this time and it was just okay, not as tasty.
- The Diner Comes to Empire!NYCdininngDined on 8/25/2014The Empire is a fancy diner all the way -- from food to service to ambiance. Yes, there were white tablecloths and lighting was dimmed. It looked like it was going to be a good choice. But as we sat there things went downhill, and they weren't helped by loud vocal music from the 60's and 70's -- the kind you hear at some health clubs. The salad was good. The 12 oz sirloin had a peculiar flavor, unappetizing. Service was slow and inattentive (water glasses weren't kept full). It all might have been acceptable for a New Jersey diner although it would have been overpriced there; but it was quite disappointing for a restaurant that purports to offer an upscale experience. There are many superior choices in NYC.
- AlrightiCookiDined on 8/15/2014Thank god I came here during restaurant week. This restaurant isn't really worth it "normal priced". The food was alright, nothing exceptional. Will not come here again. The Calamari was average. I ordered the NY Sirloin and turns out it was the T-Bone meat cut out. And the ice cream tastes like it's Haagen Dazs. The only good thing was the Tiramisu cake. Lastly, the restroom is shared with the Garden Inn!!- I can't believe this restaurant does not have its own restroom!! If you're looking for a truly semi-luxury restaurant, this is not one.
- Restaurant week dinnersunronDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant week dinner included filet mignon, which I had, and it was delicious. The veggies were good and the dessert yummySpecial Features:
- BirthdaygirlDined on 8/14/2014The food there was excellent. I was speechless. It was the best birthday lunch I had in a long time.Special Features:
- Solid SteakhouseFJGJ99Dined on 8/14/2014Food was great. Service was great. I've had 3 different plates there so far. So far, 3 for 3. The place has the lights set a little too dark but that is just how I feel. The place is well run by the GM. They definitely believe in customer service. Rating should be 4.5 stars but I rounded up to 5.Special Features:
- WOW!DoughsofreshDined on 8/13/2014I came here with my boyfriend before going to the symphony. What a beautiful place and meal! The food was really incredible, and our waiter was friendly and personable. Save this place for a special occasion, because it is fancy. When we left, we couldn't stop talking about how good the food was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Restaurant weekartVenDined on 8/13/2014Great Find...little touristy only negative comment - reservation could not be locatedSpecial Features:
- NY Restaurant weekgaiaDined on 8/11/2014We have been in this restaurant during our vacation in New York. The place is very nice, the food was good especially the lamb. I have not enjoyed the steak instead. Overall a nice restaurant in the heart of Manhattan, like many others in the same area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/10/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. Excellent food and service and we were able to sit and visit for as long as we liked without interruption. A rarity in New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week lunchbonapetDined on 8/10/2014small portion, esp dessert, probably due to restaurant week menu, still nice for lunch, only that a bit on salty side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014Our waiter was new only 4th day on the job and he was incredible. I had my kids ages 15 and 12 and they loved it. Not my first time and definitely not my lastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So SoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Food was good but the portions were small and the service wasn't good. Our waiter was slow with bringing our food and didn't come to take our drink order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayFoodielover14Dined on 8/8/2014Empire steakhouse was a restaurant I've been wanting to go to ever since I saw their menu on restaurant week and wanted to try it out. It was not living up to the expectations that I had. The food (I ordered a Caesar salad, chicken parm, and their cake) was good but the entree was the one I expected high quality taste. The sauce was a little sour and it felt like this dish was made anywhere else. My partner tried the lamb chops and he really enjoyed that meal that and with mash potatoes which I'm glad he had a good time. I would come back here again but not so hyped about their other entrees. The place itself was gorgeous but the bathroom was separate which didn't make me feel comfortable.Special Features:
- great steak!mellycVIPDined on 8/7/2014great good, and good ambiance for date night. restaurant week menu was particularly good, with generous portions, so i will go back soon!Special Features:
- Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Dinner was ok dessert came and tiramisu wAs hard. Was told it's sometimes like that.Special Features:
- Nice offerings during Restaurant WkBahHummbugVIPDined on 8/6/2014Pre-fixe menu quiet had nice choices and a great value for a mid-town location. Given busy week, kitchen did great keeping up.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Menu was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014Some "steak" restaurants have a limited selection for restaurant week and no good cuts of meat, not Empire! I got a delicious filet, with sides, and that wasn't the only steak option on the menu.Special Features:
- fantasticjenineDined on 8/5/2014We chose this restaurant because it was restaurant week and the proximity. We were not disappointed. After our meal was over we wanted to do it all over again! Need I say more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week dinningbenv2014Dined on 8/4/2014Overall Empire Steakhouse was amazing. The small bread plates, the salad, steak and even dessert were spot on. The service wasn't bad. It was fun but also easy to and quick to grab a bite of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekSundaymanVIPDined on 8/3/2014I was always under the impression that portion size did not change with Restaurant Week. I was definitely wrong. My Caesar salad was one third of the regular priced one and the Veal chop was about the same. I was somewhat disappointed. Food itself was fine and I intend to go back and pay full price for what I expect will be a great experience. Sides were very expensive especially the fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.