230 West 4th
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.empellon.com/taqueria
- Phone: 2123670999
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11 AM - 3 PM
Sunday - Wednesday 5 PM - 11 PM
Thursday - Saturday 5 PM - 12 AM
Saturday & Sunday 11 AM - 3 PM
Late Night (bar only) Friday & Saturday 12 AM - 1:45 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Alex Stupak
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: An eclectic mix of background music, selected to enhance a fun and energetic dining experience.
- Special Events: Private dining room and event space available for private functions and special events. Please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Empellon Taqueria
Open for Lunch, Dinner & Brunch. We opened our doors on March 22nd, 2011 with the intention of treating tacos with a high level of respect and serving them in a fun environment. Which is how I believe tacos should be enjoyed. We designed the menu with the idea that most ingredients worth eating can benefit further by being placed atop a well-made tortilla. We push our kitchen team to explore the ubiquitous flavors that we all love about Mexican cooking in this country as well as the less obvious ones that we all should love. Empellon's approach to cuisine is informed by authenticity but is not limited by it.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Empellon Taqueria - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Empellon Taqueria reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (112)neighborhood gem (88)hot spot (86)good for groups (68)vibrant bar scene (56)special occasion (33)great for brunch (29)romantic (29)late-night find (18)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Pushy to clear tableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/27/2014As usual, the food and drinks were worth it. While the service staff were friendly and knowledgeable, they were a bit pushy to get us out of there. My companion and I were there for 75 minutes from the time we sat down to the time we left. While spending $100+ on food and drink for two, I did not think that 75 minutes was an unreasonable amount of time. I thought we were there long enough to finish all of the things we ordered. Around the 45 minute mark, the staff began asking if they could clear the visibly unfinished items from the table. This happened 3 times before I stated that I would let them know when we were finished. Consistently great food, but could've been a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tacos EverhungrymonkeyDined on 10/26/2014GREAT TACOS! so inventive and different, and a great cocktail list! They even over delivered on the guac and salsa, it was fantastic! Great meal from start to finishSpecial Features:
- mamabearDined on 10/22/2014Very small space so it was quite crowded and noisy - the food was good and it's a fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Consistently awesomeElysefishDined on 10/20/2014I come here all the time, and I've never left dissapointed. This place is consistently good in regards to the food, the service, and the atmosphere. The host staff and the managers are a delight as well. My favorite tacos are the Brussels sprouts, the Al Pastor, and the lobster. The quesos are incredible, and the guacamole with all 7 salsas is a must. Love this spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One flawOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/19/2014Other than an indifferent hostess wonderful as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But NoisyDirnyl60VIPDined on 10/18/2014I find the brunch here to be great - the French Toast is the best anywhere - worth a trip. I have to say that the music is much too loud -- the waiter turned it down during our meal as even he thought it was a bit much. As it is a small restaurant, the level of noise is already pretty high. I do love the sampler of salsas with chips and guacamole -- and the egg dishes are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as usual very goodwaffleVIPDined on 10/12/2014but there was a problem with too much salty great margaritas, very nice greeters and waiters and the rest of the staff couln't have been more helpful.Special Features:
- jz11VIPDined on 10/8/2014The guac and sopes are very good but we have had better fish tacos.Special Features:
- Mexican with a twistOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/7/2014Great food and service. Only criticism is the seating is rather cramped.Special Features:
- Absolutely great!fauxfoodieDined on 9/28/2014Dined here on a Sunday night and had their prix fixe "comida corrida" which was SO much food for $30/person! Delicious, fresh, amazing service, and now I have leftover tacos for breakfast... what could be better?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy but SUPER loudkrtoDined on 9/27/2014Very cozy neighborhood spot with yummy food; the noise level was from the music and was really very unnecessarily loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful spotBobbieGDined on 9/27/2014This is a lovely small restaurant. We sat at the bar and ordered interesting drinks. I had wanted to try mescal. Fish tacos were delicious and substantial. Menu is mainly tacos and some other Mexican specialities but done in an upscale and authentic way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!Freckletrader1Dined on 9/20/2014Fun food! Good crowd! A bit of a scene! Good overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, service not so muchDubDinesVIPDined on 9/17/2014I've frequented Empellon Taqueria several times since it opened having been a die hard fan of their lobster tacos so I suggested it for a group dinner for 5 to celebrate a friends birthday. The space is nice, albeit the front can get loud, but deceptively large as it expands to a quieter dining room in the back. We were seated, given menus and then waited. And waited. Maybe it was because there was a large loud party of 15+ people next to us, but it took an exceptionally long time to even have our server take our drink order, let alone return w/them, at which point we promptly ordered all our food for fear of her disappearing again. Pros: the guacamole, smoked cashew salsa, tacos, constant chips Cons: friendly but inattentive service
- Delicious!HungrygirlDined on 9/16/2014Had a great meal at Empellon. Everything was delicious, small portions, but fairly priced. Service was very attentive as well. Would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- GailVIPDined on 9/16/2014great food and service we were 4 people we all loved what we had the waitress was greatSpecial Features:
- Dinner With FriendsMarisaBDined on 9/13/2014I'm always down for a good margarita, especially in the West Village. Empellon Taqueria is the perfect place to get a great Mexican cocktail paired with outstanding guacamole and of course, tacos. From the waiter, the service, and the food the overall experience is definitely making me want to come back again.Special Features:
- Mexican with a Fine Dining TwistAJH12065Dined on 9/12/2014Truly unique tacos and margaritas in the heart of Greenwich Village. Food and service were both stellar - don't miss the squash blossom tacos. Also some of the best guacamole, salsas and chips I have ever had. The smoked cashew salsa was particularly awesome. Watch out for drink prices though - at $14 a margarita you can easily spend as much or more on your bar tab as you spend on dinner.Special Features:
- Great food great serviceCr450VIPDined on 9/9/2014The 7 salsas are amazing. My idea of salsa always was a watery tomato, but not at Empellon;all of their salsas were great. Everything else was also delicious. And our waitress rocked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchLY9087Dined on 9/7/2014I'd been trying to come here for sometime, while the decor & service were wonderful, I wasn't all too impressed with the food. My friend and i got signature drinks, she had the "breakfast margarita," it tasted like any other margarita would. I had the "apricot black tea," & i couldn't taste anything too unique about it. We shared guacamole & two of the salsas, which i definitely recommend and no you don't have to get the two suggested. There's 7 to choose from and i'm sure the rest are great. For the meal i had the Scrambled Eggs Fundido and while its a cool idea (mmm Chorizo) the cheese was more béchamel-ish & took away from the eggs & chorizo. My friend had the Chilaquiles and she said she liked them. I'd give them a 3 out of 5, oh well.Special Features:
- crippynycVIPDined on 8/26/2014Really spectacular fish tacos and mushroom tacos, and absolutely delicious margaritas. Definitely worth a visit. The back dining room is significantly quieter than the front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Average TacobetsybobDined on 8/17/2014Wonderfully inventive food with a Mexican flair. Mix and match for the most intersting tastes. Great Margarietas. Young and vibrant crowd.Special Features:
- unusual but it worksaudienceguyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Inspired combinations in them there tacos, pastrami with grain mustard, pork tongue, pork shoulder, fried oysters (a Friday night specially), ethereal br.sprouts with (I think I'm remembering correctly)hummus. Sharp good margaritas. Service was pleasant but the kitchen was very slow. This was mid-afternoon on a Friday. When I asked the waiter (who was gracious) why things were so slow, he said that it took a long time to make the pastrami. I decided not to be an a-hole and ask if they begin brining the brisket when its ordered. He was a nice guy. It was a terrific meal. And the world is whacked-out enough without New Yorkers without New Yorkers complaining about wait time between artisan tacos. Go. The place is just rightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco $tandOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Average Mexican fare with great service, bar & scene.
- Best tacos & tequillaAsheeVIPDined on 8/8/2014This place is tons a fun to grab a drink & have a great time! Kind of snug but crowd is so great being snug works there! Fish taco & oyster taco is best & try the sangrita with your tequilla!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/8/2014We had an outstanding meal here. Our group of 4 shared several small plates and tacos. All were delicious...fresh ingredients and creative combinations. They were also great with gluten free as one of our group has a gluten allergy. A little pricey but well worth it. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/4/2014Food is fantastic and unique. Servers couldn't have been better. Only complaint is that the music is a little too loud.Special Features:
- Great food, great locationKCarrDined on 8/4/2014Came here to celebrate my friend's birthday on a Monday night. It's a taqueria so I expected it to be a relatively small establishment and it was. We had moved our reservations to 8pm a the last minute and when we arrived at 8 we were seated in no time at all. Service is definitely not lacking with the receptionist. Our tacos were delicious, my friends ordered the skirt steak, and chicken tacos, while I ordered the shortrib pastrami... so tender! We also ordered salsa and guac for the table which we loved! There were about eight salsas brought to the table and each one even to the spiciest was just so flavorful. Lets just say three days later and my friends have returned to Florida and they are still raving about the experience!Special Features:
- Ok food - but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Food was okay overall. While I realize the idea is to have upscale Mexican tacos, I can say that I have had much better tacos at half the price. Food portions were also very small. I would also recommend the restaurant look at using corn tortillas instead of flour tortillasSpecial Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014Great food, lovely ambience and the best margaritas I've ever had!! Beware the 7 salsas...the last one :-0 yikes! Great food, great evening.Special Features:
- Pretty to look at but...VJC8VIPDined on 8/2/2014Overall: mediocre, inauthentic, overpriced Mexican food. How can anyone ruin tacos? Well, they did it! The chicken in my tacos was soupy tasting and bland. The steak tacos were better but nothing to write home about. We also paid $18 for two ceviche scallops. Yes, two (they were sliced into a total of four pieces, surrounded by little pieces of veggies). You're better off at Chipolte. Really.Special Features:
- Would go back soon!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Great service and awesome food. Drinks were unique and delicious. Prices affordable and great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungryallthethaimDined on 7/29/2014yummy tacos, the steak and chicken were my favorite! Appetizers are really small and expensive for what it is, nothing amazing. Wish they would offer the shrimp tacos daily!Special Features:
- FabulousMAS2013VIPDined on 7/29/2014Great food, great energy, etc Service was wonderful. Fun evening.Special Features:
- Redem82Dined on 7/28/2014amazing food great service and a great atmosphere! Very well priced as well!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tight fitTheaterGoerVIPDined on 7/27/2014We had a reservation for 3 and they sat us at a two person table. Aside from the very tight seating, brunch was uneventful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Empellon TaqueriaFrancoisLesmainsVIPDined on 7/26/2014I can't get enough of this place. It's a little pricy, but it is the best Mexican food that I've ever had. And I'm not alone: Everyone to whom we've recommended the place comes back saying the same thing. Seriously, every one of them. Their tequila selection is hardcore, and their margaritas are just awesome. Their tacos are bombed out in the most positive ways ever. The staff is fantastic. The place is a guarantee for a great time out. Honestly, there's very little that I can say as a criticism about the place. Oh, I do have one. Bring back the tequila tasting flights! Please!!! My life just isn't the same without them.Special Features:
- All good things on a tacoOolaDined on 7/24/2014Enjoyed the fresh selection of tacos and other lovely treats on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic all around experience!inkandwhiskeyDined on 7/19/2014A great night out. From top to bottom everything and everyone exceeded our expectations. Informative friendly staff, interesting cocktails, and perfectly seasoned and prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectationsvisitornycVIPDined on 7/19/2014I went with my husband and another pair of friends. We ordered the guacamole with all seven salsas and it was excellent. We each had favorite salsas. I had the meatball sopas and the tongue tacos. Both were outstanding but preferred the tongue. Everyone ordered different tacos and we mixed and matched. Sharing fish, duck, tongue and short rib. Lucky for me, only my husband wanted the tongue! We ordered the 2 desserts which were, as expected, fabulous. Aside from the noise level growing during the evening, I would go back, probably on a week night and earlier.Special Features: