230 West 4th
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.empellon.com/taqueria
- Phone: (212) 367-0999
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11 AM - 3 PM
Sunday - Wednesday 5 PM - 11 PM
Thursday - Saturday 5 PM - 12 AM
Saturday & Sunday 11 AM - 3 PM
Late Night (bar only) Friday & Saturday 12 AM - 1:45 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Alex Stupak
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: An eclectic mix of background music, selected to enhance a fun and energetic dining experience.
- Special Events: Private dining room and event space available for private functions and special events. Please inquire at email@example.com
A word from Empellon Taqueria
Open for Lunch, Dinner & Brunch. We opened our doors on March 22nd, 2011 with the intention of treating tacos with a high level of respect and serving them in a fun environment. Which is how I believe tacos should be enjoyed. We designed the menu with the idea that most ingredients worth eating can benefit further by being placed atop a well-made tortilla. We push our kitchen team to explore the ubiquitous flavors that we all love about Mexican cooking in this country as well as the less obvious ones that we all should love. Empellon's approach to cuisine is informed by authenticity but is not limited by it.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Empellon Taqueria - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Empellon Taqueria reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (110)hot spot (88)neighborhood gem (86)good for groups (68)vibrant bar scene (60)special occasion (34)romantic (30)great for brunch (25)late-night find (19)great for lunch (16)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014I like the idea of a bustling youthful Manhattan foodie spot, but I think that the food was just OK (fancy menu descriptions, mediocre taste) and the place was incredibly cramped. The restaurant seemed to be making plenty of money - enough that they could get rid of a few tables so that the dining room isn’t so uncomfortably cramped. I don’t want to have dinner with a bunch of strangers. Nobody does. It’s rude that I made a reservation and was seated essentially on top of a bunch of other dates. If you want to overcharge me on tacos that have cool names, at least make the experience comfortable.Special Features:
- Friendly and professionalkaykayVIPDined on 11/20/2014Great vibe, welcoming, good food, great margaritas. What's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Mexican RestaurantJackVIPDined on 11/16/2014This Mexican restaurant in the West Village has a charming atmosphere and food that is both unusual and delicious. The rather small menu is based on inventive tacos, with a number of excellent vegetarian choices. The guacamole and chips are unusually good. Fundido de queso was terrific. Our server was very friendly and helpful.. We had a great time and can't wait to return,.Special Features:
- Excellent mealJackieOVIPDined on 11/13/2014Their customer service is like none I've ever experienced -- beyond excellent. I guess they consider me s frequent diner. I'm not there every week - more like several times a year. Every time I go the management introduces themselves, thanks me for coming back and sends a complementary dish out from the chef. They really make you feel special, like you're part of the family. And the food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulDined on 11/7/2014We were in a rush to get to a show so we ate quickly, but I look forward to getting back here to try some of their other dishes. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- LovelyNanaVIPDined on 11/6/2014We liked it a lot. Some of the food had flavours that I've never experienced before - like the shrimp ceviche and passion fruit dessert. They were interesting. The fish tacos and short ribs tacos were great. The skirt steak ones were ok. The guacamole was amazing. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot. Indifferent hostessesMolly5VIPDined on 11/6/2014This is the second time dining here. A funky fun bar scene- back room more quiet. I specifically requested bar area on open table as we dined here previously and it was very fun and vibrant. The girls upfront never even mentioned my request and sat us in back where it is completely opposite of front - quiet and dark. This was a special Occasion and I even reiterated sitting in bar area when I received a confirmation call. Girl who sat us was so very rude. Sat us in back and was very passive aggressive with her comments as I tried to explain my request. Great food and drinks - it's a shame there are such rude and young workers handling the reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but a bit complacentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Excellent "special" tacos and salsas; decent but unimaginative guacamole with first class chips; fabulous sweetcorn and adequate "green chorizo". A definite four stars for food but disengaged, unfriendly and uninterested service made the meal less than it could have been. Tough to pick better Mex food in NYC though, so maybe worth putting up with the arsey waiter. And if you are a group of pretty girls you won't notice an issue anyway.Special Features:
- great food, mixed serviceBaf1234Dined on 11/3/2014The host, bartender, and people who brought food/cleared were great, but our waiter was impatient, borderline rude and mainly ignored us. He was unhelpful and made our questions seem like we were imposing on him and stupid. Very unfortunate b/c the food and drinks are terrific, and the rest of the service was good. I've been 2-3 times before and would come back, but this waiter made the experience not as good as usual.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendChuckDined on 10/31/2014Service was beyond incredible, vibe was great and food was delicious.Special Features:
- Definitely going backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014Fun and energetic atmosphere. Great tacos and even better drinks. Love the bottle of tequila at the table, it was delicious and priced well. Looking forward to round 2.Special Features:
- So-sokaleandgingerDined on 10/31/2014When you've had excellent mexican food, it is always hard to lower expectations. We were coming in with high expectations and left with a sour taste. Not that Empellon Taqueria is bad. Ingredients are fresh, but worse than a bad taste is a dull and boring one.The pork shoulder tacos with pineapple lacked a little something to make the magic happens. A sauce perhaps or spices or herbs. The cocktails. Instead of having 10 types of margaritas, they should have one, but one good. We had cucumber margaritas: they were the worst margaritas we've ever had. Not refreshing at all, heavy in alcohol and not balanced as a cocktail should be to be enjoyable. To sum up, not the best we ve had neither the worst. More trendy than good.Special Features:
- Favorite Mexican in the W VillageNYCAuggieDoggieDined on 10/31/2014Every time I go to Empellon I love it! The staff is incredibly nice and accommodating. Due to the Halloween parade blocking off streets in the West Village part of my party was late and they were extremely understanding and didn't make a fuss about it. Food is always excellent here and they have an amazing margarita selection. This is always my go-to for Mexican in the West Village!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing somethingMexicanSnobDined on 10/29/2014I met a few people at this restaurant base on reading good reviews. I was underwhelmed with all aspects of the food. The classic margarita was OK - but most Mexican restaurants have a better one. Between the 4 of us - we had 7 different dishes. The guacamole was the best part of the entire meal. Their salsa's were flavorful - but all pureed. Mexican food to me is about texture and flavor - and all the other dishes were missing both. I like to choose between corn and flour tortillas - in this case we were not offered a choice - corn was provided. I absolutely love queso fundido made with chihuahua cheese. Empellon Taqueria added something else to the dish - and it was not a pleasant addition. I would not go back.
- Pushy to clear tableDinerDined on 10/27/2014As usual, the food and drinks were worth it. While the service staff were friendly and knowledgeable, they were a bit pushy to get us out of there. My companion and I were there for 75 minutes from the time we sat down to the time we left. While spending $100+ on food and drink for two, I did not think that 75 minutes was an unreasonable amount of time. I thought we were there long enough to finish all of the things we ordered. Around the 45 minute mark, the staff began asking if they could clear the visibly unfinished items from the table. This happened 3 times before I stated that I would let them know when we were finished. Consistently great food, but could've been a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tacos EverhungrymonkeyDined on 10/26/2014GREAT TACOS! so inventive and different, and a great cocktail list! They even over delivered on the guac and salsa, it was fantastic! Great meal from start to finishSpecial Features:
- mamabearDined on 10/22/2014Very small space so it was quite crowded and noisy - the food was good and it's a fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Consistently awesomeElysefishDined on 10/20/2014I come here all the time, and I've never left dissapointed. This place is consistently good in regards to the food, the service, and the atmosphere. The host staff and the managers are a delight as well. My favorite tacos are the Brussels sprouts, the Al Pastor, and the lobster. The quesos are incredible, and the guacamole with all 7 salsas is a must. Love this spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One flawOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/19/2014Other than an indifferent hostess wonderful as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But NoisyDirnyl60VIPDined on 10/18/2014I find the brunch here to be great - the French Toast is the best anywhere - worth a trip. I have to say that the music is much too loud -- the waiter turned it down during our meal as even he thought it was a bit much. As it is a small restaurant, the level of noise is already pretty high. I do love the sampler of salsas with chips and guacamole -- and the egg dishes are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as usual very goodwaffleVIPDined on 10/12/2014but there was a problem with too much salty great margaritas, very nice greeters and waiters and the rest of the staff couln't have been more helpful.Special Features:
- jz11VIPDined on 10/8/2014The guac and sopes are very good but we have had better fish tacos.Special Features:
- Mexican with a twistOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/7/2014Great food and service. Only criticism is the seating is rather cramped.Special Features:
- Absolutely great!fauxfoodieDined on 9/28/2014Dined here on a Sunday night and had their prix fixe "comida corrida" which was SO much food for $30/person! Delicious, fresh, amazing service, and now I have leftover tacos for breakfast... what could be better?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy but SUPER loudkrtoDined on 9/27/2014Very cozy neighborhood spot with yummy food; the noise level was from the music and was really very unnecessarily loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful spotBobbieGDined on 9/27/2014This is a lovely small restaurant. We sat at the bar and ordered interesting drinks. I had wanted to try mescal. Fish tacos were delicious and substantial. Menu is mainly tacos and some other Mexican specialities but done in an upscale and authentic way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!Freckletrader1Dined on 9/20/2014Fun food! Good crowd! A bit of a scene! Good overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, service not so muchDubDinesVIPDined on 9/17/2014I've frequented Empellon Taqueria several times since it opened having been a die hard fan of their lobster tacos so I suggested it for a group dinner for 5 to celebrate a friends birthday. The space is nice, albeit the front can get loud, but deceptively large as it expands to a quieter dining room in the back. We were seated, given menus and then waited. And waited. Maybe it was because there was a large loud party of 15+ people next to us, but it took an exceptionally long time to even have our server take our drink order, let alone return w/them, at which point we promptly ordered all our food for fear of her disappearing again. Pros: the guacamole, smoked cashew salsa, tacos, constant chips Cons: friendly but inattentive service
- Delicious!HungrygirlDined on 9/16/2014Had a great meal at Empellon. Everything was delicious, small portions, but fairly priced. Service was very attentive as well. Would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- GailVIPDined on 9/16/2014great food and service we were 4 people we all loved what we had the waitress was greatSpecial Features:
- Dinner With FriendsMarisaBDined on 9/13/2014I'm always down for a good margarita, especially in the West Village. Empellon Taqueria is the perfect place to get a great Mexican cocktail paired with outstanding guacamole and of course, tacos. From the waiter, the service, and the food the overall experience is definitely making me want to come back again.Special Features:
- Mexican with a Fine Dining TwistAJH12065Dined on 9/12/2014Truly unique tacos and margaritas in the heart of Greenwich Village. Food and service were both stellar - don't miss the squash blossom tacos. Also some of the best guacamole, salsas and chips I have ever had. The smoked cashew salsa was particularly awesome. Watch out for drink prices though - at $14 a margarita you can easily spend as much or more on your bar tab as you spend on dinner.Special Features:
- Great food great serviceCr450VIPDined on 9/9/2014The 7 salsas are amazing. My idea of salsa always was a watery tomato, but not at Empellon;all of their salsas were great. Everything else was also delicious. And our waitress rocked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchLY9087Dined on 9/7/2014I'd been trying to come here for sometime, while the decor & service were wonderful, I wasn't all too impressed with the food. My friend and i got signature drinks, she had the "breakfast margarita," it tasted like any other margarita would. I had the "apricot black tea," & i couldn't taste anything too unique about it. We shared guacamole & two of the salsas, which i definitely recommend and no you don't have to get the two suggested. There's 7 to choose from and i'm sure the rest are great. For the meal i had the Scrambled Eggs Fundido and while its a cool idea (mmm Chorizo) the cheese was more béchamel-ish & took away from the eggs & chorizo. My friend had the Chilaquiles and she said she liked them. I'd give them a 3 out of 5, oh well.Special Features:
- crippynycVIPDined on 8/26/2014Really spectacular fish tacos and mushroom tacos, and absolutely delicious margaritas. Definitely worth a visit. The back dining room is significantly quieter than the front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Average TacobetsybobDined on 8/17/2014Wonderfully inventive food with a Mexican flair. Mix and match for the most intersting tastes. Great Margarietas. Young and vibrant crowd.Special Features:
- unusual but it worksaudienceguyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Inspired combinations in them there tacos, pastrami with grain mustard, pork tongue, pork shoulder, fried oysters (a Friday night specially), ethereal br.sprouts with (I think I'm remembering correctly)hummus. Sharp good margaritas. Service was pleasant but the kitchen was very slow. This was mid-afternoon on a Friday. When I asked the waiter (who was gracious) why things were so slow, he said that it took a long time to make the pastrami. I decided not to be an a-hole and ask if they begin brining the brisket when its ordered. He was a nice guy. It was a terrific meal. And the world is whacked-out enough without New Yorkers without New Yorkers complaining about wait time between artisan tacos. Go. The place is just rightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco $tandOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Average Mexican fare with great service, bar & scene.
- Best tacos & tequillaAsheeVIPDined on 8/8/2014This place is tons a fun to grab a drink & have a great time! Kind of snug but crowd is so great being snug works there! Fish taco & oyster taco is best & try the sangrita with your tequilla!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/8/2014We had an outstanding meal here. Our group of 4 shared several small plates and tacos. All were delicious...fresh ingredients and creative combinations. They were also great with gluten free as one of our group has a gluten allergy. A little pricey but well worth it. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.