230 West 4th
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.empellon.com/taqueria
- Phone: 2123670999
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11 AM - 3 PM
Sunday - Wednesday 5 PM - 11 PM
Thursday - Saturday 5 PM - 12 AM
Saturday & Sunday 11 AM - 3 PM
Late Night (bar only) Friday & Saturday 12 AM - 1:45 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Alex Stupak
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: An eclectic mix of background music, selected to enhance a fun and energetic dining experience.
- Special Events: Private dining room and event space available for private functions and special events. Please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Empellon Taqueria
Open for Lunch, Dinner & Brunch. We opened our doors on March 22nd, 2011 with the intention of treating tacos with a high level of respect and serving them in a fun environment. Which is how I believe tacos should be enjoyed. We designed the menu with the idea that most ingredients worth eating can benefit further by being placed atop a well-made tortilla. We push our kitchen team to explore the ubiquitous flavors that we all love about Mexican cooking in this country as well as the less obvious ones that we all should love. Empellon's approach to cuisine is informed by authenticity but is not limited by it.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Empellon Taqueria - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Empellon Taqueria reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (119)neighborhood gem (91)hot spot (87)vibrant bar scene (76)good for groups (73)special occasion (35)great for brunch (29)romantic (26)great for lunch (24)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- crippynycVIPDined on 8/26/2014Really spectacular fish tacos and mushroom tacos, and absolutely delicious margaritas. Definitely worth a visit. The back dining room is significantly quieter than the front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Average TacobetsybobDined on 8/17/2014Wonderfully inventive food with a Mexican flair. Mix and match for the most intersting tastes. Great Margarietas. Young and vibrant crowd.Special Features:
- unusual but it worksaudienceguyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Inspired combinations in them there tacos, pastrami with grain mustard, pork tongue, pork shoulder, fried oysters (a Friday night specially), ethereal br.sprouts with (I think I'm remembering correctly)hummus. Sharp good margaritas. Service was pleasant but the kitchen was very slow. This was mid-afternoon on a Friday. When I asked the waiter (who was gracious) why things were so slow, he said that it took a long time to make the pastrami. I decided not to be an a-hole and ask if they begin brining the brisket when its ordered. He was a nice guy. It was a terrific meal. And the world is whacked-out enough without New Yorkers without New Yorkers complaining about wait time between artisan tacos. Go. The place is just rightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco $tandOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Average Mexican fare with great service, bar & scene.
- Best tacos & tequillaAsheeVIPDined on 8/8/2014This place is tons a fun to grab a drink & have a great time! Kind of snug but crowd is so great being snug works there! Fish taco & oyster taco is best & try the sangrita with your tequilla!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/8/2014We had an outstanding meal here. Our group of 4 shared several small plates and tacos. All were delicious...fresh ingredients and creative combinations. They were also great with gluten free as one of our group has a gluten allergy. A little pricey but well worth it. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/4/2014Food is fantastic and unique. Servers couldn't have been better. Only complaint is that the music is a little too loud.Special Features:
- Great food, great locationKCarrDined on 8/4/2014Came here to celebrate my friend's birthday on a Monday night. It's a taqueria so I expected it to be a relatively small establishment and it was. We had moved our reservations to 8pm a the last minute and when we arrived at 8 we were seated in no time at all. Service is definitely not lacking with the receptionist. Our tacos were delicious, my friends ordered the skirt steak, and chicken tacos, while I ordered the shortrib pastrami... so tender! We also ordered salsa and guac for the table which we loved! There were about eight salsas brought to the table and each one even to the spiciest was just so flavorful. Lets just say three days later and my friends have returned to Florida and they are still raving about the experience!Special Features:
- Ok food - but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Food was okay overall. While I realize the idea is to have upscale Mexican tacos, I can say that I have had much better tacos at half the price. Food portions were also very small. I would also recommend the restaurant look at using corn tortillas instead of flour tortillasSpecial Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014Great food, lovely ambience and the best margaritas I've ever had!! Beware the 7 salsas...the last one :-0 yikes! Great food, great evening.Special Features:
- Pretty to look at but...VJC8VIPDined on 8/2/2014Overall: mediocre, inauthentic, overpriced Mexican food. How can anyone ruin tacos? Well, they did it! The chicken in my tacos was soupy tasting and bland. The steak tacos were better but nothing to write home about. We also paid $18 for two ceviche scallops. Yes, two (they were sliced into a total of four pieces, surrounded by little pieces of veggies). You're better off at Chipolte. Really.Special Features:
- Would go back soon!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Great service and awesome food. Drinks were unique and delicious. Prices affordable and great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungryallthethaimDined on 7/29/2014yummy tacos, the steak and chicken were my favorite! Appetizers are really small and expensive for what it is, nothing amazing. Wish they would offer the shrimp tacos daily!Special Features:
- FabulousMAS2013VIPDined on 7/29/2014Great food, great energy, etc Service was wonderful. Fun evening.Special Features:
- Redem82Dined on 7/28/2014amazing food great service and a great atmosphere! Very well priced as well!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tight fitTheaterGoerVIPDined on 7/27/2014We had a reservation for 3 and they sat us at a two person table. Aside from the very tight seating, brunch was uneventful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Empellon TaqueriaFrancoisLesmainsDined on 7/26/2014I can't get enough of this place. It's a little pricy, but it is the best Mexican food that I've ever had. And I'm not alone: Everyone to whom we've recommended the place comes back saying the same thing. Seriously, every one of them. Their tequila selection is hardcore, and their margaritas are just awesome. Their tacos are bombed out in the most positive ways ever. The staff is fantastic. The place is a guarantee for a great time out. Honestly, there's very little that I can say as a criticism about the place. Oh, I do have one. Bring back the tequila tasting flights! Please!!! My life just isn't the same without them.Special Features:
- All good things on a tacoOolaDined on 7/24/2014Enjoyed the fresh selection of tacos and other lovely treats on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic all around experience!inkandwhiskeyDined on 7/19/2014A great night out. From top to bottom everything and everyone exceeded our expectations. Informative friendly staff, interesting cocktails, and perfectly seasoned and prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectationsvisitornycVIPDined on 7/19/2014I went with my husband and another pair of friends. We ordered the guacamole with all seven salsas and it was excellent. We each had favorite salsas. I had the meatball sopas and the tongue tacos. Both were outstanding but preferred the tongue. Everyone ordered different tacos and we mixed and matched. Sharing fish, duck, tongue and short rib. Lucky for me, only my husband wanted the tongue! We ordered the 2 desserts which were, as expected, fabulous. Aside from the noise level growing during the evening, I would go back, probably on a week night and earlier.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014Great prix fixe menu during lunch, where the prices were low and the taste was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacos for too much moneyNYCGourmandVIPDined on 7/14/2014No question that the 2-3 oz. of ingredients on each of the off-the-menu tacos, e.g. skirt steak, lamb, duck, chicken, fried fish, et al. are delicious but at $6 and $7 per taco, the bill quickly approaches $50 per person with appetizers and drinks, and over $65 per person if you include tax and tip which everyone has to pay. The chef just prices his items at too high a price for what is brought out of the kitchen. And given the clientele, they don't seem to notice. The meal is tasty, the drinks are great and the appetizers are terrific....you just leave with the sinking feeling that you've paid way too much for what you ate. Sound/noise levels do approach high decibels which can be disconcerting as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Time for AllBrooklynfriendsDined on 7/9/2014The host was really wonderful and managed to seat us slightly before our reservation time. She was very nice and kind. We had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves. The fish tacos were amazing -- perfectly cooked and crunchy. The lamb tacos were also delicious and well prepared and seasoned. We loved the 7 salsas chips and guacamole -- and our server quickly refilled our chips bowls. The skirt steak taco was the only bad bit we had. It was tough, not marinated and all around not good. The noise level is deafening. So if you want a "party-like" atmosphere and don't mind yelling across the table -- this is the place for you.Special Features:
- Best tacos I've EVER hadR2d2Dined on 7/9/2014Empellon is amazing. To say it's a taqueria or Mexican food doesn't do it justice. Amazing food, service, everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent TacosOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/8/2014The obvious highlight is the tacos, but there extensive and creative margarita list is a huge plus. The Lagerita was a nice surprise for drinks, and the duck tacos were absolutely fantastic. I also highly recommend getting all seven salsas with your meal.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014The food (chips, guacamole, bacon taco) was delightful and my peach cocktail was delicious. I would highly recommend this place to others!Special Features:
- WAY inferior to Empellon CocinaOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/3/2014The food wasn't presented well at all and wasn't anywhere close to the Empellon's sister restaurant, Cocina. The food came out like it was just slopped in a bowl or on a plate - very unattractive presentation. The food wasn't anything special at all. The tacos were in big flour tortillas that overwhelmed the already flavorless taco fillings. The drinks weren't anything special either, plain, not to be confused with a beverage found at a mixology bar like you'd find at Cocina. I've always heard good things about this restaurant but I definitely wouldn't go back here again.
- Cool scene and excellent cocktailsTryingnewplacesVIPDined on 7/2/2014Overall a very good experience that was highlighted by the spicy cucumber margarita. It is among the best margaritas I've had and would be reason enough to return. The tacos and guacamole were good (though not excellent) and the venue provided the right mix of energy. Expelling is comparable to Rosa Mexicano or Dos Caminos in terms of dining experience though with a trendier atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeafeningOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/30/2014We chose to return to Empellon because we were having a very late dinner (10:30), and we assumed that on a Monday night the noise level wouldn't be the kind of problem it has been at other times. How wrong we were! Even though there were few diners, the deafening level of rap music being played on the sound system was intolerable. If you're among those who wish to have no conversation with your friends and prefer instead the overwhelming sound of magnified bass with speakers that "go to eleven," then Empellon Taqueria is for you. If not, we suggest you pass up their really quite decent tacos and find a quieter spot--say, an MRI machine--to have dinner. We won't be back there on any day at any time.
- Creative and consistentBenjaminDined on 6/30/2014This is my 12th visit in the past couple of years . Creative food, excellent ingredients, always consistent, great service, vibrant bar, extremely noisy and certainly entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO DELICIOUSfoodloverVIPDined on 6/29/2014Everything about my dinner here was amazing. The classic margarita was great, we got the green chorizo queso fundido and I was genuinely sad when it was finished because I wanted it to never end! I got the fish tacos and mixed mushroom tacos and they were both delicious and interesting. Will definitely be going back in the near future!Special Features:
- EmpellonNuritaDined on 6/28/2014This taqueria aims to provide a diverse food experience but sometimes it may go too far out of Mexico's wealth of flavors. For example, the pastrami with mustard seed taco might belong in a deli not a taqueria. Having said that, what the heck is in that red sauce? It is absolutely delicious and should be bottled. Ambiance and service are very good. Food is good with some moments of glory and some misses. Overall, worth experiencing and I suspect that once you find what you like, it could be a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatBubonicDaveDined on 6/28/2014Went with high hopes, they were partially met. Nothing bad to report but was not blown away. Big city, plenty of options, this is another reasonably good restaurant to add to the listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating!godjillaDined on 6/27/2014Some friends were marching in the drag march which was ending nearby and we needed a spot for 8 guests on a Friday evening. I was surprised that it was possible to book a table for eight guests only 30 minutes in advance (as I'm a hostess myself and familiar with OpenTable), but was pleasantly surprised all around. Though it's a small space and we did have to wait a little while, everyone at Empellon was very accommodating, gracious, and welcoming. The food was excellent and not terribly pricey, considering the quality of the ingredients, and the cocktails were even better. ;)Special Features:
- James Beard worthy!!Ryan86Dined on 6/27/2014Chef Stupak's creations/vision for Empellon keep you on your toes and you know you'll never have another Mexican meal like this oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty tacos at Empellon!SdmgVIPDined on 6/22/2014Wow! Finally tacos made with style, taste and fun! Tempura fish: yum. Pulled pork: succulent. Duck: more please!!! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great girls night out!AliGDined on 6/21/2014I went here with my three friends for a late light dinner and drinks on a Saturday. We tried almost all of the margaritas and loved them all. The food was delicious and the portions were nice. The two tacos were just enough food and the guacamole was a generous portion. Along with the two different salsas and chips it was delicious. I had the octopus appetizer instead of tacos and it was absolutely amazing and extremely unusual with parsnips, seeds, and a creamy sauce. The restaurant was also extremely understanding when our fourth party member was late and allowed us to wait at the bar. Our only small criticism was that there wasn't more of the dessert, which was also out of this world.Special Features:
- Best tacos everImafoodieDined on 6/21/2014The food and service was impeccable! The chips and salsa (habanero and smoked cashew) and the guacamole were all insanely good but the pork taco with pineapple was off the chain!!! We will definitely be going back soon. Yummmm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Unusual MenuJCF8VIPDined on 6/20/2014Stumbled on this while wandering in the Village. Loved the unusual selection of tacos and the fabulous service...Ask for Coco. She is a gem.Special Features:
- Will return!finikyVIPDined on 6/19/2014Found info on this restaurant on Eater's 10 best New York Tacos, they did not dissappoint! The skirt taco and fish taco were both great! We had an early lunch so place was quiet but I am sure it is mobbed both later and at dinner! The only drawback was the sound system and music - loud and somewhat rappish. Put this on your list if you are a taco lover!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.