Emilio's Tapas - Sol Y Nieve
215 East Ohio Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Emilio's Tapas - Sol Y Nieve
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.emiliostapas.com/index.php?option=com_locations&view=location_details&loc_id=8
- Phone: 3124677177x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Emilio Gervilla and Crispin Plata
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sol y Nieve provides catering for all type of events. For more information please contact our event planner - Julie@emiliostapas.com
- Entertainment: Occasional Spanish Flamenco Shows or Solo Spanish Guitarist.
- Special Events: Wine Tastings, Wine/Dinner Pairings, Cooking Demo's,
A word from Emilio's Tapas - Sol Y Nieve
You'll be tempted by the tapas at this Streeterville eatery, from the team behind Emilio's (other location include Hillside). Its name means sun and snow, and the Spanish specialist serves a wide range of hot and cold choices, including grilled shrimp with garlic lemon butter sauce, baked goat cheese in tomato sauce, paella, among other fabulous tapas. The wine list features more than 60 choices, many available by the glass. The restaurant features colorful murals, tile mosaics and iron light fixtures. During summer time its patio is the perfect place to relax and enjoy great tapas and sangria.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Emilio's Tapas - Sol Y Nieve reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (50)great for outdoor dining (50)neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (39)romantic (25)special occasion (22)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- lovely dinnerPickyVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I had an enjoyable feast including GREAT potato salad (really garlicky, YUM!), a very fresh salad, mushroom caps, and steak broquettes with horseradish sauce. These plates are tapas, so we had plenty of food. My husband also had fried bacon-wrapped dates. The only drawback was the breadbasket--it was stale! nevertheless, we will be returning soon!Special Features:
- Great dinnerBESQDined on 9/12/2014I had dinner at Emilio's on Friday, September 12. There were 4 people in our party. The server was great. Two people in our group had never experienced tapas before and she was very helpful in suggesting dishes for us to try. We loved the bacon wrapped dates and the flank steak with a chimmichurri-like sauce. So delicious! We also had a pitcher of sangria. It was good but I've had better. All in all, great experience. I would definitely go back the next time I'm in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Great for a group, food was delicious and the service was great. Went for a Bachelorette party, gave her special attention and a complimentary dessert. Would recommend for any occasion!Special Features:
- luv2gooutDined on 8/30/2014Not that great! The service was excellent but I did not find the food all that good. Somewhat outdated
- Great lunchOvidiuDined on 8/28/2014Many tanks to Luis and very professional service. The Paella was exactly like we eat in Spain. I recommend to everybody Gazpacho made, it was just perfect and simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abbaroodleDined on 8/23/2014The tapas were delicious! Plenty of veggie options for those who lean that way. We also had the veggie paella which was good but not as good as the tapas.Special Features:
- Awesome!DisappointedDined on 8/23/2014What a wonderful way to spend an evening! The food was outstanding and service the same! Loved all the tapas choices! Only wish there had been more than two of us so we could have tried even more choices! Will definitely be heading back any chance we get!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!WelovewineDined on 8/9/2014Brought three of my friends here for dinner. We were away for a girls weekend, and this was our last stop for dinner before heading home. We had a beautiful night to sit outdoors. The food was fabulous, and all of my friends raved about the food, wine was delicious as was the dessert! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best outdoor cafesMikeDined on 8/7/2014Both of us delighted by the generous space between tables. Interesting cocktail selections. Menu is extensive and the food and presentation was good to very good (based on our 4 selections). QUESO DE CABRA CON NÚECES was a perfect starter dish to share with goat cheese, pecans, grapes, and a poached pear. The gazpacho was OK, lackluster in taste and presentation; I've had better at non-Spanish restaurants. We then enjoyed a larger selection of skirt steak, spinach w/a potato fritter that was tasty and satisfying but the fritter was forgettable. We ordered the CANELÓN FRIO DE ATÚN a cannolli stuffed with canned tuna and asparagus. The tuna was too "tinny" so probably not white albacore. Excellent waiter. We'd go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great weatherMrsRPD24Dined on 8/2/2014Great night for outdoor dining. Service was a bit slow, but overall, the food was great and everyone was very nice.Special Features:
- Elegant surprise...FoodieAtHeartVIPDined on 8/2/2014Our last night in Chicago and we were on our own for dinner. I searched OpenTable for a neighborhood gem - and being a huge fan of tapas, discovered this spot. What a wonderful surprise! The ambiance was delightful - we sat outside, enjoyed wonderful weather, an unusually quiet street for Chicago, and amazing food!! We ordered several dishes, and enjoyed every one of them...our favorite was the Caprichos de Pollo - it was decadent! We also enjoyed: Empanada del Dia, Bacon wrapped Dates, Shrimp in Garlic, and a gazpacho sampler that included Watermelon, Cucumber and Tomato soups. ALL of it was wonderful! The wait staff was friendly, and very helpful in recommending dishes to our tastes. They also have a great wine selection.Special Features:
- Delightful Experience!HungryBaersDined on 7/26/2014Delightful experience!! The food was outstanding! We were a party of 6 and everyone loved our choices (and we ordered a lot!). The grilled octopus and skirt stead were stand-out favorites, but all were good. We were seated inside, but decided at last minute to move outdoors to enjoy the cool evening and the people watching. The staff went out of their way to accommodate our needs, and the service was fantastic (ask for Juan -- he was wonderful!). Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumChampaignrefugeeDined on 7/17/2014Great selection of small plates, attentive service. Wine list- not too expansive but solid selection of Spanish wines. Nice for a romantic post-theater dinner and I can't help but think great for a large group (multiple plates to share). Octopus is incredible- do not miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/14/2014Very good tapas served promptly. Nice selection of Spanish wines. They really should get better bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So SoGlennDined on 7/4/2014We are great fans of Tapas. The wine selection was not that great, particularly if one wants wine by the glass. The first wine my husband wanted was out. The ham plate (serrano ham) was about the best ham we've ever had, but the bread was not that great. It reminded me of the mediocre baguette bread one gets in little restaurants in Italy and Argentina. I still believe others should give it a try. I may have been turned off by the heavily sea foodish tapas and lack of other vegetarian or even meat options. The service was good though. We were made to feel at home, all in all.Special Features:
- Trio of gazpacho, WOW!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014That was just the start of a wonderful selection of tapas. I highly recommend this lovely place if you enjoy small plates and sharing great food with friends and family.Special Features:
- Loved this authentic tapas findTnttownVIPDined on 6/21/2014From the moment we walked in, it was obvious we were in for a Spanish tapas treat. Everything we tried was tasty and our waiter was very helpful in making our selections. The dishes came out quickly after the were ordered which allowed us to pace our evening. I highly recommend Emilio's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance, Authentic TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014The classic patatas bravas are delicious as well as the curry chicken. Great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for as long as I can rememberAuctioneerVIPDined on 6/14/2014I favorite for as long as I can remember. Sitting outside with my daughter and dog was a wonderful treat. Very dog friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Great Service!gunderDined on 6/7/2014We were there for a pre-theater dinner and had a great time. The service was great and we were able to get out in plenty of time for our show. I would highly recommend!Special Features:
- You had me at sangria!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/6/2014Outdoor seating was very nice. Our server knew the menu well. We enjoyed everything we ordered except for this crab special. Sangria was refreshing! Will visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Go-To Chicago RestaurantChicagoinMNDined on 5/25/2014Whenever we are in town we head to Emilio's alone or with guests, the food quality is always fresh and delicious, the selections varied and abundant with something to please everyone's palate. We are native Chicagoans although we don't live there now, and Emilio's is always the restaurant we recommend to others visiting Chicago.Special Features:
- Not your everday eatsamylahVIPDined on 5/23/2014My husband was hesitant to order anything but the paella, but due to time constraints we could not go that route. OUr waiter Juan took the time to "find" some tapas dishes that my husband would enjoy. The food was delicious and we were done in plenty of time for the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas are tops!Eats2muchDined on 5/21/2014Tried about 8-9 different items and each one was excellent! The wine selection was disappointing for our inability to locate a big, full-bodied red, even at their highest price point. Service was good and highly recommend the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly enjoyable evening!NECI1Dined on 5/19/2014We must have changed our reservation 3 times: 5 people....no 4 people....no, SIX people...7:15...no, 7:00...can we come earlier? We're outside now...lololol We could have been treated as an annoyance, but instead Jorge and the team made us feel welcome and even a part of the family! Just a terrific dining experience all the way around. Our server was attentive and concerned with our experience. The food was delicious! Overall, a perfect evening out with lots of laughter! One of the warmest and most comfortable experiences I've had in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!!RDChefDined on 5/19/2014I travel to Chicago a couple times each year on business and Emilio's is always on my list when I am downtown. I am a chef and I brought another group of chefs and restaurant experts to Emilio's and they loved it. We had a group of 10 and I did what I normally do... tell the server to just keep bringing out their very best dishes until we tell him to stop. The server askes if anyone has any allergies, preferences, or dislikes and then runs with it. Everyone thought that it was so much fun becuase you never know what is coming next. It was a great experience and everyone would go back and most likley experience the menu just like we did. Thank you Emilio's for yet another great experience. You nailed it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 447 reviews are from the Emilio's Tapas - Sol Y Nieve reviews archive.
- Enjoyable tapas experienceChicagofeedbackDined on 5/19/2014Prompt, friendly service got us out in under an hour. The food was good overall. The sauces were excellent, especially the aoli and curry. The shrimp were small ones, which makes it harder to not overcook them. I'd go again for the papatas bravas! There is a well stocked bar with such traditional options as sherries, as well as beers and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBackInNewYorkVIPDined on 5/17/2014Still thinking about the garlic potato salad! Amazing, but don't get it if you are dating someone new - very garlicky!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make a reservation...WindyCityTexanDined on 5/17/2014...and then pray it is respected. My friend and I wanted someplace to grab a glass of wine and a light supper before attending a fundraising event. We made our reservation for 7:30pm on a Saturday night. Others who had reservations were seated before us; we weren't seated until 8:10pm. The hostesses postponed seating us at least twice to make way for larger parties. Once we were seated our service was quick to the point of rushed, which we normally would have thought rude but in this case we appreciated. We'll consider going back if we have no other plans for the evening, only because the food was good and our server was attentive. Had this review been based solely upon the hostesses we would not consider going back at all.
- Great dinner and serviceJmmur14Dined on 5/3/2014Beautiful restaurant the waiter and staff where very accommodating did not rush us even tho we made a late reservation. I will defenetly be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Tapas place downtown ChicagoDavidVIPDined on 5/3/2014Food is good, but there are better places. If one can go a little north, I would definitely recommend Caffe' Iberico on 737 N LaSalle (LaSalle and Chicago). It has a larger selection of "pescado".Special Features:
- been twice Excellent both timesjeffDined on 5/3/2014this was my second time dining at emillio's both times have been quite memorable. I love tapas and this place to me by far is the best its been easy to get seated and the food comes out quickly the staff is very friendly and accommodating. I cannot wait to go back again the bacon dates are to die for as well as the garlic potato salad. Also this visit we had a desert the caramelized banana was amazing. Also a bonus there is a pay parking lot next door it is 18 dollars but for the convenience its very worth it.Special Features:
- Excellent and eclecticRickCDined on 5/3/2014I came to Chicago on business, and wanted to try some different foods without breaking the budget. Immediately upon entering, I was treated as important even though I was a small party of one. The waiter was very helpful, and introduced different options and educated me on eating tapas style. I had a wonderful salad, flank steak with an amazing sauce followed by dates wrapped in bacon and swimming in a roasted red pepper sauce. This was capped off by chocolate crepes. The waiter shared my enthusiasm for the meal and helped me to enjoy as well. Worth repeating. I will bring a group the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodqueenmoonDined on 5/2/2014I am never disappointed at Emilio's. I take my out of town guests there to entertain. I like all the tapas dishes. Wonderful grilled octopus. Good service, wine list, relatively quite ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it - a new stapleBilLonguaDined on 4/28/2014This is one of those places you will keep coming back to when visiting Chicago. Just great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome group meal!!lexingtonfoodieVIPDined on 4/25/2014we had a group of 11 and had a fantastic tapas dinner. the sangria was awesome. the staff was super attentive and handled the large group and diving the check very well. i have nothing but great things to say about this place!! will be coming back again and again!Special Features:
- Looking for tapasJiminChicago14Dined on 4/19/2014I found the restaurant online and was a little apprehensive. When we arrived, my wife and two friends, there was even more apprehension as we sat and looked at the menu. It was much different from our experience at Solars in Minneapolis. This looked like a more conventional Spanish restaurant by the menu. However, our waiter, I didn't get his name helped us through the problems and made the evening a wonderful experience. The bacon wrapped dates were a big hit as was the fried calamari. I thought the octopus was outstanding, best I've since my days on the east coast. The piea was superb. We would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/19/2014my fav chicago restaurant, always love to try some new dishes and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- good selection and very reasonablekcheckpleaseDined on 4/19/2014Came on a saturday for lunch with a group of 7. We were impressed with the selection and everyone found several thing we wanted to try. We ended up order 1-2 per person (total of 9) and a pitcher of sangria. The sangria could have had a bit more going on but it wasn't bad. We were really happy with our meal! We were all so full at the end and so completely satisfied. Highlights were the patatas bravas, the lamb meatballs (they had a bit of a spicy kick), CAPRICHOS DE POLLO (fried wontons filled with chicken) and the Baked goat cheese. Also it was a so reasonable- for 7 people you'd expect to pay quite a bit for a lunch like this but we were pleasantly surprised when we got the bill.Special Features:
- DeliciousNashuaDined on 4/14/2014So many choices and they were all fabulous. Great service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.