Emilio's Tapas - Sol Y Nieve
215 East Ohio Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Emilio's Tapas - Sol Y Nieve
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.emiliostapas.com/index.php?option=com_locations&view=location_details&loc_id=8
- Phone: 3124677177x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Emilio Gervilla and Crispin Plata
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sol y Nieve provides catering for all type of events. For more information please contact our event planner - Julie@emiliostapas.com
- Entertainment: Occasional Spanish Flamenco Shows or Solo Spanish Guitarist.
- Special Events: Wine Tastings, Wine/Dinner Pairings, Cooking Demo's,
A word from Emilio's Tapas - Sol Y Nieve
You'll be tempted by the tapas at this Streeterville eatery, from the team behind Emilio's (other location include Hillside). Its name means sun and snow, and the Spanish specialist serves a wide range of hot and cold choices, including grilled shrimp with garlic lemon butter sauce, baked goat cheese in tomato sauce, paella, among other fabulous tapas. The wine list features more than 60 choices, many available by the glass. The restaurant features colorful murals, tile mosaics and iron light fixtures. During summer time its patio is the perfect place to relax and enjoy great tapas and sangria.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Emilio's Tapas - Sol Y Nieve reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (47)neighborhood gem (42)great for outdoor dining (37)fit for foodies (30)romantic (20)special occasion (20)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fantastic spot!ordtmpsfoDined on 10/23/2014You must try this place. The service was fantastic and the food authentic. The paella was superior. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good tapas!DBABQVIPDined on 10/21/2014We were in Chicago to visit the Contemporary Ary Museum and wanted somewhere decent to eat after. I did a bit of looking around and when I saw the listing for this tapas place I thought it might be a good choice as we like to try several things. We started out with the Toastada a la Andaluz (eggplant and beet on bread) before sampling several hot tapas - morcilla, lamb meatballs, flank steak and more. We thoroughly enjoyed everything we tried and would have tried more if we were not full! If ever in Chicago we'd probably eat here again and try the other dishes.Special Features:
- Ate here twice while in ChicagolongswimDined on 10/19/2014Very good and creative tapas. Nice reasonably priced selection of wine. Actually the entire menu was reasonable. My wife and I shared 4 tapas and a carafe of sangria. We had room to split one dessert. Very pleasant waiters. You won't go wrong here. Liked it enough that I brought a group of business colleagues back a couple nights later. My boss is somewhat frugal and was very satisfied with the price value ratio.Special Features:
- Skip the PaellaChrystalmystDined on 10/18/2014The service was excellent, Sangria delicious and affordable, the tapas we had were amazing, esp the Garbanzo spread, empanadas, and special pork salchichas. However, the Paella was a huge disappointment; lacked freshness, and seafood terribly overcooked. Wished we would have just ordered a couple more tapas instead. Overall, a great evening though, and we would ABSOLUTELY go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Just back from Spain, great continuation of our trip. Nice wines, great tastes. Attentive, personal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas for Two!nrraymonDined on 10/14/2014Emilio's was a terrific place to take a date. The selection of unique and interesting foods, paired with a pitcher of red wine sangria makes for a special occasion. It's also great that the tapas (smaller dishes) are great for sharing. This way, you can order a few things and split them between yourself and your date. Definitely recommended!Special Features:
- Terrific all around2bigeatersVIPDined on 10/12/2014We loved this place, one of our best experiences in Chicago out of many much more expensive. Wonderful service, vast menu and each and every dish was uniquely special. Do get the potato salad. It is world famous, or should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food/Service, but Hot and LoudevodevoDined on 10/11/2014Title says it all. I enjoyed the food and we had a great server, but I found it hard to converse with my 70-something parents over the talking, clapping and laughing from other large and boisterous parties. The restaurant was also overheated. The folks at the table next to us were fanning themselves with menus to keep cool. I can only imagine how difficult it was for the servers to work in that environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent tapasJES3Dined on 10/7/2014We were in Chicago for an overnight and realized Emilio's was a few blocks away. We'd eaten there several times, but not in the past 10 years. If anything, the tapas have gotten even better. The grilled squid, Spanish tortilla, potatoes in garlic aioli, bacon wrapped dates, were excellent. It's gratifying to see a restaurant maintain its quality over time.Special Features:
- Made a special night even betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2014Our waiter, Juan, was attentive and very nice to the entire table. He went out of his way to make the guest of honor feel special. The food was amazing and very savory! Can't wait to go back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas selection!TravelingCoupleDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I enjoy really good tapas and Emelio's did not disappoint. We prefer small plate menus so we can have a variety of tastes while dining. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Tapas!pickle1397Dined on 9/22/2014Great local neighborhood restaurant. This is my second time to eat at Emilio's and I will definitely go again. I went back this time to specifically try the paella and was a little disappointed. The shrimp and clams were way overcooked and the rice was soupy! I will return, but will only order from the tapas menu. My favorite dish is the stuffed dates, spicey potatoes and tenderloin. The salads are also wonderful. Overall, great place and would highly recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Trying Something NewTeacherDined on 9/19/2014This was a great find to celebrate a friends birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, even better serviceclompsthedinosaurDined on 9/18/2014The tapas dishes were solid and the flavors were good, although nothing blew me out of the water. The portions are very ample for tapas, which I appreciated. What makes this place really great, though, is their service--top notch, super attentive, really couldn't ask for more. Our waitress, Stephanie, was wonderful, but so was the rest of the staff, including the servers in charge of refilling water, bringing dishes to the table, and clearing dishes away. Would come back for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely dinnerPickyVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I had an enjoyable feast including GREAT potato salad (really garlicky, YUM!), a very fresh salad, mushroom caps, and steak broquettes with horseradish sauce. These plates are tapas, so we had plenty of food. My husband also had fried bacon-wrapped dates. The only drawback was the breadbasket--it was stale! nevertheless, we will be returning soon!Special Features:
- Great dinnerBESQDined on 9/12/2014I had dinner at Emilio's on Friday, September 12. There were 4 people in our party. The server was great. Two people in our group had never experienced tapas before and she was very helpful in suggesting dishes for us to try. We loved the bacon wrapped dates and the flank steak with a chimmichurri-like sauce. So delicious! We also had a pitcher of sangria. It was good but I've had better. All in all, great experience. I would definitely go back the next time I'm in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Great for a group, food was delicious and the service was great. Went for a Bachelorette party, gave her special attention and a complimentary dessert. Would recommend for any occasion!Special Features:
- luv2gooutDined on 8/30/2014Not that great! The service was excellent but I did not find the food all that good. Somewhat outdated
- Great lunchOvidiuDined on 8/28/2014Many tanks to Luis and very professional service. The Paella was exactly like we eat in Spain. I recommend to everybody Gazpacho made, it was just perfect and simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abbaroodleDined on 8/23/2014The tapas were delicious! Plenty of veggie options for those who lean that way. We also had the veggie paella which was good but not as good as the tapas.Special Features:
- Awesome!DisappointedDined on 8/23/2014What a wonderful way to spend an evening! The food was outstanding and service the same! Loved all the tapas choices! Only wish there had been more than two of us so we could have tried even more choices! Will definitely be heading back any chance we get!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!WelovewineDined on 8/9/2014Brought three of my friends here for dinner. We were away for a girls weekend, and this was our last stop for dinner before heading home. We had a beautiful night to sit outdoors. The food was fabulous, and all of my friends raved about the food, wine was delicious as was the dessert! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best outdoor cafesMikeDined on 8/7/2014Both of us delighted by the generous space between tables. Interesting cocktail selections. Menu is extensive and the food and presentation was good to very good (based on our 4 selections). QUESO DE CABRA CON NÚECES was a perfect starter dish to share with goat cheese, pecans, grapes, and a poached pear. The gazpacho was OK, lackluster in taste and presentation; I've had better at non-Spanish restaurants. We then enjoyed a larger selection of skirt steak, spinach w/a potato fritter that was tasty and satisfying but the fritter was forgettable. We ordered the CANELÓN FRIO DE ATÚN a cannolli stuffed with canned tuna and asparagus. The tuna was too "tinny" so probably not white albacore. Excellent waiter. We'd go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great weatherMrsRPD24Dined on 8/2/2014Great night for outdoor dining. Service was a bit slow, but overall, the food was great and everyone was very nice.Special Features:
- Elegant surprise...FoodieAtHeartVIPDined on 8/2/2014Our last night in Chicago and we were on our own for dinner. I searched OpenTable for a neighborhood gem - and being a huge fan of tapas, discovered this spot. What a wonderful surprise! The ambiance was delightful - we sat outside, enjoyed wonderful weather, an unusually quiet street for Chicago, and amazing food!! We ordered several dishes, and enjoyed every one of them...our favorite was the Caprichos de Pollo - it was decadent! We also enjoyed: Empanada del Dia, Bacon wrapped Dates, Shrimp in Garlic, and a gazpacho sampler that included Watermelon, Cucumber and Tomato soups. ALL of it was wonderful! The wait staff was friendly, and very helpful in recommending dishes to our tastes. They also have a great wine selection.Special Features:
- Delightful Experience!HungryBaersDined on 7/26/2014Delightful experience!! The food was outstanding! We were a party of 6 and everyone loved our choices (and we ordered a lot!). The grilled octopus and skirt stead were stand-out favorites, but all were good. We were seated inside, but decided at last minute to move outdoors to enjoy the cool evening and the people watching. The staff went out of their way to accommodate our needs, and the service was fantastic (ask for Juan -- he was wonderful!). Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumChampaignrefugeeDined on 7/17/2014Great selection of small plates, attentive service. Wine list- not too expansive but solid selection of Spanish wines. Nice for a romantic post-theater dinner and I can't help but think great for a large group (multiple plates to share). Octopus is incredible- do not miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/14/2014Very good tapas served promptly. Nice selection of Spanish wines. They really should get better bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So SoGlennDined on 7/4/2014We are great fans of Tapas. The wine selection was not that great, particularly if one wants wine by the glass. The first wine my husband wanted was out. The ham plate (serrano ham) was about the best ham we've ever had, but the bread was not that great. It reminded me of the mediocre baguette bread one gets in little restaurants in Italy and Argentina. I still believe others should give it a try. I may have been turned off by the heavily sea foodish tapas and lack of other vegetarian or even meat options. The service was good though. We were made to feel at home, all in all.Special Features:
- Trio of gazpacho, WOW!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014That was just the start of a wonderful selection of tapas. I highly recommend this lovely place if you enjoy small plates and sharing great food with friends and family.Special Features:
- The following 457 reviews are from the Emilio's Tapas - Sol Y Nieve reviews archive.
- Loved this authentic tapas findTnttownVIPDined on 6/21/2014From the moment we walked in, it was obvious we were in for a Spanish tapas treat. Everything we tried was tasty and our waiter was very helpful in making our selections. The dishes came out quickly after the were ordered which allowed us to pace our evening. I highly recommend Emilio's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance, Authentic TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014The classic patatas bravas are delicious as well as the curry chicken. Great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for as long as I can rememberAuctioneerVIPDined on 6/14/2014I favorite for as long as I can remember. Sitting outside with my daughter and dog was a wonderful treat. Very dog friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Great Service!gunderDined on 6/7/2014We were there for a pre-theater dinner and had a great time. The service was great and we were able to get out in plenty of time for our show. I would highly recommend!Special Features:
- You had me at sangria!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/6/2014Outdoor seating was very nice. Our server knew the menu well. We enjoyed everything we ordered except for this crab special. Sangria was refreshing! Will visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Go-To Chicago RestaurantChicagoinMNDined on 5/25/2014Whenever we are in town we head to Emilio's alone or with guests, the food quality is always fresh and delicious, the selections varied and abundant with something to please everyone's palate. We are native Chicagoans although we don't live there now, and Emilio's is always the restaurant we recommend to others visiting Chicago.Special Features:
- Not your everday eatsamylahVIPDined on 5/23/2014My husband was hesitant to order anything but the paella, but due to time constraints we could not go that route. OUr waiter Juan took the time to "find" some tapas dishes that my husband would enjoy. The food was delicious and we were done in plenty of time for the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas are tops!Eats2muchDined on 5/21/2014Tried about 8-9 different items and each one was excellent! The wine selection was disappointing for our inability to locate a big, full-bodied red, even at their highest price point. Service was good and highly recommend the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly enjoyable evening!NECI1Dined on 5/19/2014We must have changed our reservation 3 times: 5 people....no 4 people....no, SIX people...7:15...no, 7:00...can we come earlier? We're outside now...lololol We could have been treated as an annoyance, but instead Jorge and the team made us feel welcome and even a part of the family! Just a terrific dining experience all the way around. Our server was attentive and concerned with our experience. The food was delicious! Overall, a perfect evening out with lots of laughter! One of the warmest and most comfortable experiences I've had in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!!RDChefDined on 5/19/2014I travel to Chicago a couple times each year on business and Emilio's is always on my list when I am downtown. I am a chef and I brought another group of chefs and restaurant experts to Emilio's and they loved it. We had a group of 10 and I did what I normally do... tell the server to just keep bringing out their very best dishes until we tell him to stop. The server askes if anyone has any allergies, preferences, or dislikes and then runs with it. Everyone thought that it was so much fun becuase you never know what is coming next. It was a great experience and everyone would go back and most likley experience the menu just like we did. Thank you Emilio's for yet another great experience. You nailed it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.