564 West Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.embeya.com/
- Phone: 3126125640x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday to Friday: 11 30am-2 30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Asian
- Executive Chef: Thai Dang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Jefferson and Randolph
- Public Transit: We are a short walk from the Clinton stop on the green and pink line, as well as a few blocks from the 8 bus on Halsted and Randolph.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Embeya offers valet parking. There is also limited street parking on Randolph and Jefferson.
A word from Embeya
Embeya is a collaboration between international hospitality veteran Attila Gyulai (Four Seasons Hotels, Elysian Hotel Chicago), his Wife, Komal Patel (Milborne Real Estate, Sotheby's International) and Chef Thai Dang (3 Michelin L2O, 2 Michelin RIA). The trio united in their shared vision to showcase refined Asian cuisine in a chic and elegant space that is designed by Chicago's renowned Designer Karen Herold (Girl and the Goat, GT Fish, Balena). In addition to being nominated as Food & Wine's People's Best New Chef, and Zagat's Top 30 under 30, Embeya was recently awarded Esquire Magazine prestigious Best New Restaurant Award which honours the top 20 restaurants in the United States.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Embeya reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (116)special occasion (76)good for groups (67)romantic (57)hot spot (45)neighborhood gem (43)notable wine list (38)great for lunch (30)vibrant bar scene (17)great for outdoor dining (17)late-night find (8)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Interesting, delicious food. Excellent service - our personable server offered just the right amount of suggestions and information about the food without us having to ask. Each person who brought something to our table immediately explained what it was and tips for eating it so we'd have the best taste experience. The Tendron and Lime cocktail is wonderful, light and refreshing.Special Features:
- A great take on Asian foodbariVIPDined on 10/18/2014A beautiful place to enjoy great food and drink. Don't miss the whole fish entree and the Chinese long beans! So good!Special Features:
- An exceptional dining experiencejsacreativeVIPDined on 10/15/2014My husband and I chose this restaurant for our anniversary; it was a stab in the dark. (We were attending a play performance and needed a nearby restaurant). It was outstanding! The service was impeccable; our waiter was well-versed with recommendations and, knowing we had to leave to catch the play, kept right on top of things. The food was excellent as well. I know we will be return customers.Special Features:
- Great experienceNicolaDined on 10/14/2014The food, service and ambience were wonderful. Very creative use of ingredients. I'm a vegan, but my two omnivore friends were also thrilled with the food (mussels and pork chop ordered). Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliciousChiDinerExtraordinaireVIPDined on 10/11/2014Embeya always provides us delicious, fresh, Vietnamese inspired cuisine with top-notch service. The ambiance is fabulous too! We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Nice decorYummyDined on 10/11/2014We were celebrating a special birthday so for that the decor was very nice but sorry to say that the food was not up to our expectations.Special Features:
- DisappointedchiharveDined on 10/11/2014My foodie friends from San Francisco were quite disappointed. The special fish was over priced and over cooked. The sauces were ordinary. The waiter had an off attitude when describing plate sharing. I had been there before and had a much better experience.Special Features:
- KiriDined on 10/10/2014Very interesting and well-executed Asian-influenced cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh ingredients ruleFoodEVIPDined on 10/9/2014Fresh ingredients and attentive service were high points. The menu seems a bit limited but I inventive. The chicken dish was really delicious and the papaya salad was really good. Share dishes though ! I thought the portions were really large, even though our waiter suggested we not share!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealWineguyDined on 10/9/2014Stylish room with good service and interesting menu. Good food but nothing spectacular. Three stars for food and a menu short on options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique dining experienceSultanDined on 10/7/2014Highly highly recommend it, exceeded our expectations. Phenomenal food, make sure to get the Chef's tasting menu, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded Expectations!PescatarianDinerDined on 9/30/2014We had a meal before the opera and it exceeded our expectations on every level. The decor and atmosphere are inspired and engaging. The seating is comfortable and the noise level was good--not too loud to have a conversation but still vibrant. The food was outstanding We chose to ordered a bunch of appetizers and sides and loved them all. The services was terrific--very attentive and they remembered from our reservation without my mentioning it that we were going to the opera. I didn't even have to mention it. Easy walk to the train, opera or other loop venues. I will definitely go back!!Special Features:
- Great meal; excellent serviceFoodloverVIPDined on 9/27/2014Had a lovely dinner. Appetizers were excellent; Great mussels, sausage and squash dish. Main course was super - had sole; guests loved the chicken specialty. Dessert was mediocre. Really appreciated the first class service.Special Features:
- Favorite go to placeLoloVIPDined on 9/27/2014I brought another out of town friend. She was also dazzled. The new crab appetizer was excellent. My favorite quail is exceptional. Would eat it as an entree. Always fantastic. Decor, food, staff, and, of course, Komal and Atilla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale VietnameseAmyKDined on 9/27/2014I was able to make a reservation the same day we dined at Embeya and on a Saturday evening, it was not full. Diners were well dressed, upscale. The place can accommodate large parties so we saw tables of eight, families, etc. The servers are all young males and ours steered us to the most expensive dishes. The appetizers, were creative and infused with Vietnamese flavors. Our entrees less so. In fact, I could not discern that the rabbit leg had any asian flavor and husband's fish was only asian because of the soy sauce. BTW, entrees were both $29 so it's pricey in my opinion. Service was a little too formal and cold for my taste. I dined here based on an article about the chef at Grace, one of those unaffordable fixed price places.Special Features:
- Be adventurousfiftyishfoodieDined on 9/26/2014We took a group of 8 ranging from 20 to 50+. We chose the tasting menu; our server quoted us $65 per person. It was actually $75 per person on the check, but still great value for the price. Drinks are typical Chicago prices. The eggplant and sweetbreads was a wonderful combination of textures and flavors, the pork and chicken and whole fish entrees were deceptively simple and delicious. We will be back. The location is easy to get to, just a short walk from the train and el stations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply delicious!No3GalDined on 9/25/2014I am positively effusive over Embeya! The food is truly sublime. We feasted (both visually and gastronomically) on the grilled quail and the green papaya salad as starters. For the main course, each person in our party of three made an entree selection to be shared family-style. We had garlic chicken, which was incredibly moist and not overpowering in the use of garlic; the pork chop, so delectably moist and tender; and the whole fish, served open and fried lightly crisp with a wonderful dipping sauce. I do not live in Chicago but I am a foodie who loves to research restaurant option in advance of a trip. Embeya more than exceeded my expectations. Thank you for a wonderful meal!Special Features:
- Great Food small appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014All of the food we had was terrific. We had the Duck cold dish and Octopus hot dish for appetizers. They were a little on the small side for the money. We had the Halibut and the Pork main dishes. They were excellent! Pork was nicely flavored and very tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great alternative to steakhouses!BobinatorDCVIPDined on 9/19/2014I love Chcoagp steakhouses as much as anyone bit this place is a great for something different. Innovative Asian fusion cuisine, greater servers, good craftbeer and wine, nice setting, and noise level actually allows for conversation! Went with a group of 8 coworkers and all sang its praises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!Love2eatVIPDined on 9/18/2014We love eating our way through Chicago when we come to the city. This time we were looking for unique and interesting dining options while visiting Chicago and we were thrilled to dine at Embeya. Everything was outstanding, including the suggestions for the vegetarian diner amongst us. The service, ambience, cocktails and food were all great! We can't wait to go back and we will!Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationdistill2diningDined on 9/13/2014Dining space is really lovely not to formal works for large or small groups. The service was impeccable. My out of town guests are seasoned foodies and a fine dining restaurant building contractor. We followed our server's suggestions from wine through cold, warm and main dishes and we were not disappointed. I look forward to next meal at Embeya to sample more of Chef Dang's work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and deliciousGraceBKVIPDined on 9/12/2014Our dinner at Embeya was outstanding from start to finish - close to a 5 star experience. The space is lovely- large but very comfortable. Papaya salad was bright, crunchy and flavorful. Halibut in Curry was lightly sauced and very flavorful. Heirloom tomatoes, rabbit leg, tofu almond custard all great. We loved the wine list- not overly expensive but different. Service was attentive but not smothering. You were given time to enjoy your meal. Green beans were crisp and tasty. Not overly oily like many can be in Asian restaurants. All around a wonderful evening. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobskiVIPDined on 9/10/2014We were there for a business lunch, party of six. We all ordered from the prix fixe menu and were delighted with the food. Noise/activity level allowed easy conversation amongst the group while still allowing us to feel a certain level of privacy. Looking forward to going back for dinner.Special Features:
- Dlicious1Dined on 9/6/2014THE MOST delicious food ever, friendly and prompt service yet not overbearing, Pristine and sophisticated environment. Perfect for foodie fashionistas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Unknown Spot in the Cityjdwt24Dined on 9/6/2014I don't know why this place is so easy to get into but the food is amazing! I am sure that no matter what is the occasion, this place will meet all your expectations. Even the "chicken" dish on the menu is amazing....definitely need to try this place. Save room for dessert! The cream puff is amazing!Special Features:
- Delicious And Good For YouNeal2kDined on 9/6/2014If you are looking for a superb meal and great ambiance look no further. Out party of four tried the mussels, mango salad, shrimp, chicken, and lobster and every dish was prepared and seasoned to perfection. What was especially nice was that it seemed that all of the dishes were not made with butter nor high in fat. So often dining out is a heath risk, menus will always have low fat options but the "fun" dishes are high in fat. Going to one of the many steakhouses in Chicago is always a treat but at the end of the night all of that food takes its toll and you can walk out asking yourself, "what was I thinking". Not so at Embeya, if you want a great meal in a beautiful room without the gluttony this is the place!Special Features:
- Absolutely original and amazingLizzieDined on 9/6/2014I love this place. I highly recommend this restaurant! The food is original and spectacular! The staff is knowledgable and professional. The decor is amazing. This restaurant is perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific in every waySoutherngirlinthemidwestDined on 9/6/2014Warm greeting, beautiful, modern space. Comfortable seating, knowledgeable and attentive wait staff is all there. But the food is the real star. The halibut main dish and the mussel starter were the highlights of our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/4/2014The food is outstanding. Just the right touch of vietnamese / thai influence. I had the seafood stew on the server's recommendation and loved it. A bit of a panang curry flavor. Not at all "fishy" even with scallops, mussels, and shrimp. Had a nice kick without blowing out the heat. In general the chef definitely did not dumb down the spice / heat. I like my Asian food "Asian people spicy", and some in my party thought the food was very hot. So the foodies will love it, and those who don't like spice might want to ask for a less spicy dish. Service was perfect. Decor is maybe a little spare and cold, but they're clearly going for that vibe. One knock: no Vietnamese-style coffee. Buy some sweetened condensed milk already! lolSpecial Features:
- Great food. No people.GeoffwithaGDined on 8/27/2014The food was great. The fixed price menu was a good deal. There were not a lot of other people which was great for conversation but makes me worried that Embeya will keep serving lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2014When a place is run by people that truly love what they do. You can see it, and feel it. Its amazing how happy, passionate and hospitable everyone is here. Let me also add that the wine list is very well priced and the food is a grand slam. Top 5 in the city for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My "go-to" place in Chicago. Best!LoloVIPDined on 8/23/2014The menu, service, food and ambiance are unsurpassed in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- catcorncatcornDined on 8/22/2014What a find! Delicious all around. We had the steak, prawns, quail. Excellent menu choices. The side of corn was fantastic. Would go back again and again except that i live in Dallas. The services was just right too. Polite, helpful, accommodating. Food pacing from the kitchen was good as well.Special Features:
- Simply Outstanding!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Fantastic food. Incredible service. One of the best restaurants that I have been too.Special Features:
- great prix fixe lunchdadwritesVIPDined on 8/11/2014Very good place with an excellent 3-course prix fixe lunch. give it a try..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passion in ChicagoMRWRLDWDVIPDined on 8/9/2014I've been in Chicago for a month now and this is the first restaurant that fits the bill for how a restaurant should run. When the Director is the Manager, the passion exudes throughout the facility, the menu, the wine list, the staff... even the restrooms. Exciting menu, great service in a nice space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence All AroundChicagowifeVIPDined on 8/7/2014Fantastic food - not a single bad dish (and as a party of 4, we tried many). Great service on Thursday night. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Asian FusionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Sauces were to strong and over powered then taste of the ingredientsSpecial Features:
- LovelyDebbieDined on 8/5/2014Atmosphere was delightful. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and what drinks would best enhance your entree. Food was delicious and I also loved the fact that the majority of the food was gluten and dairy free. Pricing was just right. Lovely place and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Insightful Asian Foodgkg680Dined on 8/3/2014The Sunday Prix Fixe menu was wonderful, much more food than we expected, all delicious. The octopus was over-salted, but everything else was perfect. The creampuff dessert with a rich, green tea flavored filling and the plate of fresh fruits I had never seen or heard of before, were magnificent. Service was as it should be, attentive, but without hovering. My first visit to Embeya was quite nice, I hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.