564 West Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.embeya.com/
- Phone: (312) 612-5640
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday to Friday: 11 30am-2 30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Asian
- Executive Chef: Thai Dang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Jefferson and Randolph
- Public Transit: We are a short walk from the Clinton stop on the green and pink line, as well as a few blocks from the 8 bus on Halsted and Randolph.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Embeya offers valet parking. There is also limited street parking on Randolph and Jefferson.
A word from Embeya
Embeya is a collaboration between international hospitality veteran Attila Gyulai (Four Seasons Hotels, Elysian Hotel Chicago), his Wife, Komal Patel (Milborne Real Estate, Sotheby's International) and Chef Thai Dang (3 Michelin L2O, 2 Michelin RIA). The trio united in their shared vision to showcase refined Asian cuisine in a chic and elegant space that is designed by Chicago's renowned Designer Karen Herold (Girl and the Goat, GT Fish, Balena). In addition to being nominated as Food & Wine's People's Best New Chef, and Zagat's Top 30 under 30, Embeya was recently awarded Esquire Magazine prestigious Best New Restaurant Award which honours the top 20 restaurants in the United States.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Embeya - Best Restaurants in West Loop ›
Embeya reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (127)special occasion (86)good for groups (74)romantic (59)hot spot (46)notable wine list (42)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (29)vibrant bar scene (20)great for outdoor dining (13)late-night find (8)scenic view (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Very interestingpenguinpersonVIPDined on 11/22/2014Food was excellent and very interesting. Every dish had unusual but superb mixtures of flavors. Service was very friendly but in his effort to try to leave us alone, he took over 20 minutes to take our order. He was better after that though. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 11/21/2014Embeya is great food, sophisticated atmosphere and decor with very good service. Good bar. What more could you want? Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pre-theaterShrazzyVIPDined on 11/19/2014We stopped in early, before the opera on a Wednesday night. We were the first party there, but the place was almost full by the time we left at 7:00. The pre-theater fixed price menu was perfect in variety, size and speed! It's substantial: instead of selecting a course from each category as in many other restaurants, the table gets the entire menu--2 appetizers, 2 mains, 1 side, 2 desserts, served "family style." Absolutely delicious and a perfect way to try a new menu! Cuttlefish was amazing, sea scallops succulent. My friend's favorite dish was the garlic chicken. I loved the noodles Maitake. (Truth be told--we're two smallish women and had to take a lot of this wrapped to-go.) Wine recommended by server was spot-on and well-priced. Only downside was the cooked greens were a bit gritty. The service and staff were attentive and welcoming. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great servicesrabaniDined on 11/18/2014First time going here for lunch - fantastic lunch option for a really good value - choice of appetizer, entree and dessert for $22 and every item was great. I had the short rib lettuce wraps, the seafood stew and then the tofu flan thing for dessert - really terrific and I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip asian flavorsVaniljvodkaDined on 11/15/2014Embeya follows the likes of Nobu, Hakkasan and similar asian crossover restaurants but does not quite reach their standars. Although a very nice experience with great small dishes to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breathtakingly BeautifulDavidVIPDined on 11/15/2014This was such a perfect place to have dinner with 10 people who love good food. The space is so elegant and modern, with enough space to give the meal feel private. We let the chef choose and ate family style: prawns, quail, roasted califlower, and on and on. Every dish is wonderful and creative. Very approachable wine list and great service. We could not have left happier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to amazeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/14/2014Embeya continues to amaze me with the depth flavors of the food. It is the one place I always recommend to out of friends and out of town visitors. The restaurant is beautiful and you can have a conversation with your dinner partner without raising your voice. A number one choice for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceOutstandingDined on 11/11/2014I took clients here for dinner and they were very impressed with the entire experience and said they would all come again. The waiter suggested the "Chefs Choice" that give you a variety of all the best featured items on the menu. We all enjoyed each and every item they were all filled with amazing flavors. I entertain a lot this bar far is one of the best restaurants I have ever gone too. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy to rave aboutItscomplicatedDined on 11/8/2014It's very easy to rave about the food here. Cascading textures and exotic flavors make the food experience delightful. Our cocktails arrived in compact snifters, packing juicy flavors and boozy punch. We had the lamb shank and whole, flash-fried sole. The shank was classically tender, falling in great meaty chunks from the bone. Honestly, the sole was a revelation—taking me back to a small island off the coast of Thailand where I once had a deep sea grouper prepared in a similar manner. The authenticity of flavor and the sheer power to transport one through time(!) is an astonishing feat and will bring me back. Service was crisp, polished and conducted with warmth and utter sincerity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful spotJulieDined on 11/7/2014We had a girls night dinner at embryos. It is s beautiful setting with fantastic food. The service was excellent! Our server new the menu inside & out and made excellent suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouisVIPDined on 11/7/2014We love it here. The food is outstanding (had crispy sole) which we've never seen done this way, but it was awesome. Also, one of the things I often don't like about Asian restaurants is that I don't get enough food. That is never a problem here - great sized portions. And also, also, even when the place is crowded on a Saturday night, you can still easily hear all the conversation at your table. Love that part.
- Amazing in everyway.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/7/2014Ate the best thing in my life here. Hot King Crab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!cmbkVIPDined on 11/6/2014Great find in Chicago--innovative menu, delicious. Everything our waiter recommended was perfect--duck salad, king crab appetizer, and whole fish, plus cauliflower. The gin and thyme cocktails were different and delicious. Excellent service. What was very impressive was that even though the restaurant has a lot of open space and wood, it was subdued and quiet, even with a large party there.Special Features:
- Don't go!KevinDined on 11/5/2014i went to lunch here lately and the waiter was so rude that I had to ask a manager for a new one... First time ever!!
- First time for dinner - a new FAVEStreetervilleResVIPDined on 11/4/2014Have been here for lunch many times and loved it. Dinner was out of this world. A new fave, in my top three. The king crab appetizer is not to be missed. Glad to see the green papaya salad is on the dinner menu too. Best chicken anywhere. The "fried" rice is like no other. Green beans, ate every bite. Just can't say enough. Even the drink was a bit of a revelation.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/4/2014Our Group of Seven put ourselves in the hands of our able server Josh and he advised us to do the group dinner. Everything, every single item, was world-class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinnerCastineDined on 11/3/2014This was a great evening. Perfect to have an important discussion over great food and service. Our waiter Josh had the answers to questions we did not even think to ask. Truly a " find" that I will repeat on future Chicago trips.Special Features:
- Over ratedSuburbanreviewDined on 11/1/2014Grilled quail was great! Serving portions were smaller than I expected. The steak was rare; I don't recall our waitress asking how we want it prepared, I asssume they only prepare it one way, the chef's way. Lobster and crabs were great. Definitely had room for dessert. However dessert was a bit disappointing. I ordered the fruit plate. I am familiar with tropical fruit, I could tell the lanzones was previously frozen. Eaten fresh, the fruit is amazing, same with the lychees. Service was great, very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Embeya .. hidden gemKaiJackson33Dined on 10/25/2014I have dined here once for lunch and most recently to celebrate my birthday with a group of friends. The wait staff is outstanding and very attentive. The food is excellent. I would highly recommend this hidden gem for it's location, ample street parking, accomodating staff and overall ambiance. Great place to celebrate with friends or cuddle in a quiet, cozy corner with your sweetie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Spot in the CityJBChiVIPDined on 10/22/2014As an amateur foodie, in that I love eating, experiencing food, and exploring, though not up to date with all the newest hottest spots, this is my and my fiance's favorite restaurant in the city. If you like Asian flare, just go. It is different yet approachable, and worth going back every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- undiscovered gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/21/2014I have had lunch at Embeya on two occasions and enjoyed the tasting menu both times. It was surprisingly empty given the excellent food and service at a fair price.Special Features:
- Flavorful alternative for lunchEtowneaterDined on 10/20/2014Had lunch there and took advantage of their prix fixe three course offering for a reasonable price and every course was outstanding. My guest raved about the food and said that he would gladly eat there every day. Adventurous without being over the top. Great change of pace from the usual lunch choices.Special Features:
- Great service but not flavorfulSarahVIPDined on 10/19/2014Embeya is a beautiful restaurant and the service was very attentive but the food was dull. No one at our table mentioned to food while we eat except for how it looked. It was nicely plated but very bland.Special Features:
- AnLaNaDined on 10/18/2014Interesting, delicious food. Excellent service - our personable server offered just the right amount of suggestions and information about the food without us having to ask. Each person who brought something to our table immediately explained what it was and tips for eating it so we'd have the best taste experience. The Tendron and Lime cocktail is wonderful, light and refreshing.Special Features:
- A great take on Asian foodbariVIPDined on 10/18/2014A beautiful place to enjoy great food and drink. Don't miss the whole fish entree and the Chinese long beans! So good!Special Features:
- An exceptional dining experiencejsacreativeVIPDined on 10/15/2014My husband and I chose this restaurant for our anniversary; it was a stab in the dark. (We were attending a play performance and needed a nearby restaurant). It was outstanding! The service was impeccable; our waiter was well-versed with recommendations and, knowing we had to leave to catch the play, kept right on top of things. The food was excellent as well. I know we will be return customers.Special Features:
- Great experienceNicolaDined on 10/14/2014The food, service and ambience were wonderful. Very creative use of ingredients. I'm a vegan, but my two omnivore friends were also thrilled with the food (mussels and pork chop ordered). Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliciousChiDinerExtraordinaireVIPDined on 10/11/2014Embeya always provides us delicious, fresh, Vietnamese inspired cuisine with top-notch service. The ambiance is fabulous too! We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Nice decorYummyVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were celebrating a special birthday so for that the decor was very nice but sorry to say that the food was not up to our expectations.Special Features:
- DisappointedchiharveDined on 10/11/2014My foodie friends from San Francisco were quite disappointed. The special fish was over priced and over cooked. The sauces were ordinary. The waiter had an off attitude when describing plate sharing. I had been there before and had a much better experience.Special Features:
- KiriDined on 10/10/2014Very interesting and well-executed Asian-influenced cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh ingredients ruleFoodEVIPDined on 10/9/2014Fresh ingredients and attentive service were high points. The menu seems a bit limited but I inventive. The chicken dish was really delicious and the papaya salad was really good. Share dishes though ! I thought the portions were really large, even though our waiter suggested we not share!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealWineguyDined on 10/9/2014Stylish room with good service and interesting menu. Good food but nothing spectacular. Three stars for food and a menu short on options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique dining experienceSultanDined on 10/7/2014Highly highly recommend it, exceeded our expectations. Phenomenal food, make sure to get the Chef's tasting menu, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded Expectations!PescatarianDinerDined on 9/30/2014We had a meal before the opera and it exceeded our expectations on every level. The decor and atmosphere are inspired and engaging. The seating is comfortable and the noise level was good--not too loud to have a conversation but still vibrant. The food was outstanding We chose to ordered a bunch of appetizers and sides and loved them all. The services was terrific--very attentive and they remembered from our reservation without my mentioning it that we were going to the opera. I didn't even have to mention it. Easy walk to the train, opera or other loop venues. I will definitely go back!!Special Features:
- Great meal; excellent serviceFoodloverVIPDined on 9/27/2014Had a lovely dinner. Appetizers were excellent; Great mussels, sausage and squash dish. Main course was super - had sole; guests loved the chicken specialty. Dessert was mediocre. Really appreciated the first class service.Special Features:
- Favorite go to placeLoloVIPDined on 9/27/2014I brought another out of town friend. She was also dazzled. The new crab appetizer was excellent. My favorite quail is exceptional. Would eat it as an entree. Always fantastic. Decor, food, staff, and, of course, Komal and Atilla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale VietnameseAmyKDined on 9/27/2014I was able to make a reservation the same day we dined at Embeya and on a Saturday evening, it was not full. Diners were well dressed, upscale. The place can accommodate large parties so we saw tables of eight, families, etc. The servers are all young males and ours steered us to the most expensive dishes. The appetizers, were creative and infused with Vietnamese flavors. Our entrees less so. In fact, I could not discern that the rabbit leg had any asian flavor and husband's fish was only asian because of the soy sauce. BTW, entrees were both $29 so it's pricey in my opinion. Service was a little too formal and cold for my taste. I dined here based on an article about the chef at Grace, one of those unaffordable fixed price places.Special Features:
- Be adventurousfiftyishfoodieDined on 9/26/2014We took a group of 8 ranging from 20 to 50+. We chose the tasting menu; our server quoted us $65 per person. It was actually $75 per person on the check, but still great value for the price. Drinks are typical Chicago prices. The eggplant and sweetbreads was a wonderful combination of textures and flavors, the pork and chicken and whole fish entrees were deceptively simple and delicious. We will be back. The location is easy to get to, just a short walk from the train and el stations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply delicious!No3GalDined on 9/25/2014I am positively effusive over Embeya! The food is truly sublime. We feasted (both visually and gastronomically) on the grilled quail and the green papaya salad as starters. For the main course, each person in our party of three made an entree selection to be shared family-style. We had garlic chicken, which was incredibly moist and not overpowering in the use of garlic; the pork chop, so delectably moist and tender; and the whole fish, served open and fried lightly crisp with a wonderful dipping sauce. I do not live in Chicago but I am a foodie who loves to research restaurant option in advance of a trip. Embeya more than exceeded my expectations. Thank you for a wonderful meal!Special Features: