Ember Urban Eatery
435 Virginia Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46203Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ember Urban Eatery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.emberurbaneatery.com/
- Phone: (317) 340-1868
- Hours of Operation:
Monday 11:00am-2:00pm, Tuesday - Friday 11:00am to 10:00pm and Saturday 9:30am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Chef Virgil Geon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater your special event! Whether it is a business meeting, family gathering, shower, small luncheon or dinner party. Call Shelly at
317-340-1868 for information
- Entertainment: Live music every Wednesday. Check our website www.emberurbaneatery.com for lineup information and updates.
A word from Ember Urban Eatery
Family owned business serving made from scratch American fare with a twist. Comfortable neighborhood restaurant centrally located between downtown and fountain square on the culture trail. Serving 10 local craft beers and wine. Great place to visit with friends, watch a big game or enjoy some quite time with that special someone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Ember Urban Eatery - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Ember Urban Eatery reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (10)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- KellyDined on 10/21/2014Went her for lunch several months ago and liked it so thought I would try it for dinner prior to a concert at Bankers Life. Big mistake. Here were the issues: 1) Handed us a menu with several items highlighted and stated those items were not yet available. 2) Then ordered a certain type of beer that was listed on the menu and was told it was not available due to tap issues 3) My husband wanted a mixed drink and they only have beer/wine(not their fault I know). 4) Server complained that she was the only server and had been there all day. 5) Finally ordered from the limited menu and my husband ordered the pasta alfredo with chicken. The pasta was literally macaroni and cheese! 6) we were offered 2 pieces of cheesecake for free even though we didn't want it and were on our way to a concert so could not take to go box. I believe we should have gotten a discount on our bill. This restaurant better get their act together or they will not last.
- terrible foodmllcpaVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were looking forward to dining here since is was on the top 10 list for the summer. But we were forced to spend either $20 or $30 on the Devour Downtown promo. The pork chops were overcooked and the sea bass (obviously frozen) was absolutely disgusting. The wings were good, shrimp cocktail was average but the salad was downsized for the promo. Then came the dessert...on a plastic plate and miniscule. This restaurant needs to understand the DD promo is to be a good deal for the consumer to try out the menu. NOT a way to gouge. We spent $80 that was a total waste! We will never go back!
- Outdoor seating - poor dessertbrilligSlithyTovesDined on 8/29/2014Service was great. The outdoor patio had a great breeze, and allowed dogs. The tables are spaced far enough apart that you can't hear the conversations occurring next to you. The shrimp appetizer was good. The main course (pork) had great flavor but was overcooked making cutting process more vigorous than normal. The dessert was very bland, served on a small disposable plate, and not uniform in appearance throughout our table. They did have an eclectic and good selection of local brews on tap. Due to the great flavor combinations of the main course and outdoor/dog friendly seating, I would probably visit Ember Urban Eatery again to see if my second visit yields higher ratings than my first experience during Devour Downtown.Special Features:
- Menu was DevouredFlawLESSVIPDined on 8/28/2014Really disappointing. Came by for casual dinner--saw sandwiches and salads online. Instead of having a separate Devour Downtown menu, their Devour menu was the only menu! Instead of wings and sandwiches, was $30 three course prix fixe. Instead of two sandwiches for about $10 each, ended up spending $85 for food (no drinks) that wasn't fancy and, the kicker, served with plastic ware. PLASTIC WARE. It is absolutely unacceptable to spend that much money and not get a real plate to eat off of... Steaks were overdone and spouse's dessert was tiny and partially frozen. I wanted to like this spot since it's in my neighborhood, but this was not a good experience. The server was pleasant though.Special Features:
- Great locationReviewerDined on 8/27/2014The location and outdoor music were great. The pork chop was very dry and tough and the polenta did not seem to fit with the flavors. The steak had good flavor but a little over cooked for what it was ordered. The great outdoor seating saved this experience. Our service was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WORTH A LOOK AND A RETURNmswendiDined on 8/26/2014It is a small neighborhood eatery (with little parking). We ordered Sangria, which was excellent. The service was awesome and attentive. We ordered the shrimp cocktail which had huge shrimp and great sauce, the 6oz bass with mushroom risotto, mouthwatering, buttery and delicious. We finished with the amaretto cheesecake. The only strange thing was dessert was served on plastic disposable plates..weird, but overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server & food great, hostess a twitArmyWifeDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I made a reservation since we knew the restaurant would be busy during the Devour Downtown week. We got there and the hostess said they only had one table open. It looked like an extra table brought out from the storage room and put in the corner facing the door. We said we had a reservation and she said "well that's all we have." We said we would wait for a better table and thankfully one opened up quickly. Our server, Kandy, was fantastic and the food was great. You just have to make it by the unpleasant hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not bad!emingraceDined on 8/23/2014We went during Devour Downtown, which might not be fair to offer a rating! But the food was decent and a great price. Our waitress seemed like she was rushing us just a little bit, but it's understandable during an event like that. The ambiance was okay and it worked well for just a casual night out.
- First time at Ember UrbanPam7630IndyDined on 8/20/2014We ate outside on the porch. They had a nice live band that add a great atmosphere to our dinner. Some of the patrons brought their dogs and that made it very homey. We had the Devour Downtown menu. Eggplant and pasta. Sea Bass and Risotto. The Sea Bass was outstanding. Risotto was also very good!!! There was nothing wrong with the Eggplant, but it could not stand up to the Sea Bass. Our server was new. But, service was good and our food came quickly. It was a good experience. We will eat their again. The location was great for us. It is away from downtown, so parking was easy. They have a parking lot and plenty of parking on the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Ten!DougVIPDined on 8/20/2014Looking for a new place to go for an anniversary dinner that was not too formal, we found Ember Urban Eatery and what a wonderful surprise! Shelley took great care of us the whole evening and the food was great! Interesting combinations, lots of flavors. I am not a risotto fan normally, but the best thing (of many great things) was the risotto!! Infused with bone marrow, it was just fantastic!! We'll go back, and back, and back!Special Features:
- Ember is a keeperMarkDined on 8/2/2014The Ember is definitely a place we will return to. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding! We would recommend this for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RufattoDined on 7/31/2014This is one of the best places to relax and just sit outside and enjoy great food! The small bar inside is cozy and very inviting. I have been there twice and brought four people and all of them raved about it. You must try it and have some of the Moscato!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 9 reviews are from the Ember Urban Eatery reviews archive.
- Awful customer service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2014We made a reservation for 6 people and had 2 cancel at the last minute. Shortly after being shown to our table, the owner asked if I had an Open Table reservation. I told her that I did. She then proceeded to berate me in front of our group, telling me that she would be "eating the cost" of my party being smaller than my original reservation stated. She then said that I needed to sign in to my Open Table account to prevent that from happening, and that if I continued to "overbook", it would reflect poorly on my account. She then proceeded to sit 2 tables away and lit up a cigarette. I have brought smaller parties to restaurants where I've made Open Table reservations and never heard a thing about it. We won't be back!
- docneufDined on 6/7/2014Great patio, view of downtown, and the chicken wings may just be the best in Indy (and I consider myself a bit of a wing snob!). The staff and owner were incredibly friendly and welcoming. Will be returning soon!Special Features:
- First visitLSASVIPDined on 3/19/2014New downtown spot. Our first visit to Ember Urban Eatery was very good. Didn't know what to expect...what we got was excellent food, simple/comfortable atmosphere and great service. Looking forward to the addition of outdoor seating. The Italian beef sandwich was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fox 59 Dining ExperiencelanecjDined on 2/21/2014I originally saw them on Fox 59 dine out. So after reading the menu I bought a couple of gift cards. Wow, what a great deal. Not only was the food great, there were so many choices that looked good, we couldn't decide. We ordered the caprese appetizer and it was great. Our waiter brought over a mushroom stuff cap appetizer that they were trying out and even my husband, who does'nt like mushrooms thought it was good. Our table had the Flat Iron steak, a burger and chicken All was great.Special Features:
- DisappointedStephanieDined on 2/21/2014I read good reviews for this place but was completely disappointed in our personal experience. We had the chicken and brisket and found both to be very dry. The chicken was overcooked and mostly not edible. The brisket should have been served with an au jus or something to provide moisture. When asked how our dinner was we expressed our disappointment but it fell on deaf ears. I don't think they knew what to do. We will not be going back
- Disappointed - NO MORE THAN 4!IndyDowntownVIPDined on 2/7/2014Very disappointed! Dined with a group of 8 for Friday dinner. We were seated in the walkway between booths and the bar - with one end of the table practically in the entryway - guests were squeezing by all night. . Our server seemed nervous and scatterbrained. We ordered the wings for an appetizer, and enjoyed them very much. Unfortunately, the evening went downhill from there. After placing orders, we were told they were out of shrimp. Then told they were out of french fries (how do you run out of french fries!?!?!?!). After changing up orders for half the table, our food finally arrived. All food was bland and needed better seasoning. Four cheese pasta was very bland and Chicken Roma simply tasted like frying pan grease.
- Seating was cramped and byOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/29/2014Seating was cramped and by the door; so cold! Not sure what white BBQ sauce was suppose to taste like. Roma chicken was fair.Special Features:
- Very good food atreasonable pricesMikeDined on 1/24/2014Three of us tried this restaurant via Devour Downtown. Unlike many places, almost all menu items were available on the DD menu! We had the brisket, the flat iron steak and the pasta with spicy red sauce and added the optional shrimp (which involved no up-charge). All were very good, especially the vegetables with the steak and the marvelous brisket. We wished we had known of this restaurant recently when we spent $150 for tickets and more than that for dinner for 2 people downtown. As dinner menu items at Ember are $11 to $17 this will be our "go to" place for pre- or post-concert dinners from now on. One of the owners, Shelly Odendahl, inquired personally as to our satisfaction and thanked us for coming. Unusual and very welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite what we expectedAllyLaneDined on 1/22/2014I expected Ember to be more of a foodie's restaurant after looking at the menu. The smoked wings were very good, probably the best thing we ate. The "gourmet" mac and cheese was nothing out of the ordinary. The brisket wasn't as good as Hard Rock Cafe's brisket. The flat iron steak wasn't quite what my husband was expecting either, after reading the menu. I also had made a reservation, had the confirmation and they wrote the reservation down as a different time in their book. That would have been fine, mistakes happen. However, they acted as though I was wrong even when I showed them the email reservation and acted as though I was putting them out.I would recommend this to a friend.