Elm Street Oyster House
11 West Elm Street
Greenwich, CT 06830Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Elm Street Oyster House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elmstreetoysterhouse.com/
- Phone: 2036295795
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Kulhanek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Elm Street Oyster House
Elm Street Oyster House is a little gem of a restaurant, located right off Greenwich Avenue, in the heart of downtown. We offer the finest quality seafood from raw oysters to yellowfin tuna and king salmon, in a casual, friendly, elegant atmosphere. We have a world class wine list and a knowledgeable, accommodating staff. You will not find a better seafood restaurant in Fairfield County Connecticutt, guaranteed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Elm Street Oyster House - Best Restaurants in Greenwich ›
Elm Street Oyster House reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (4)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (3)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Outstanding food, great place..what more could you ask? We had paella, shrimp po boys-excellent. The mini crab cake appetizer should not be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NCCNCAMCDined on 8/6/2014Elm Street Oyster House always delivers. Crab cakes and salmon were excellent.Special Features:
- ArtyVIPDined on 7/19/2014Very overpriced for such mediocre food with poor service
- xyz123VIPDined on 7/18/2014this has always been one of my favorite restaurants. i eat almost anything on the menu and everything is delicious. i tried something different this time instead of the tuna, and had the fish tacos which were excellent. nice to sit outside as wellSpecial Features:
- Elm Street Oyster House is goodLoganDined on 6/14/2014We had a great meal at Elm Street. We had to wait 10 minutes for our table to sit inside as it was chilly outside but Manager was very congenial. We had a drink at the bar and the bartender ask others to make room for us, very friendly place. Great oysters, tuna and guacamole and great service. We will go back soon.Special Features:
- Very good, very priceyShouldUDined on 6/13/2014Met a client for lunch. Parking always an issue. One appetizer, two lunch entrees, a glass of wine, two beers: $150 with tip. Food is good but not fantastic.Special Features:
- Great seafood, friendly staffGRfoodiesDined on 6/12/2014A great little find in Greenwich; staff is friendly and knowledgeable, seafood is always terrific. Selection great. Wine list OK+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went late afternoonLenoxVIPDined on 5/25/2014delicious meal (glazed salmon and sushi grade grilled tuna with sauteed bok choy). Love that they do not close between lunch and dinner--a rarity in CT. at 4pm, noise was not an issue and by 4.30pm it started to fill up. Only negative, bread and breadsticks were so so.Special Features:
- Outstanding SeafoodclgcoVIPDined on 5/24/2014If you like seafood, this is the place for you. The food gets five stars. The variety of the menu gets five stars and the service is outstanding. The entrees vary in price from $18 to $34. Great atmosphere and value.Special Features:
- Vibrant place, mediocre foodABWalerDined on 5/23/2014Maple glazed Salmon was a cloying odd taste that went unfinished by one of our party. Seafood paella had good shell fish, but mushy and very salty rice. Cheesecake dessert, even though tiny, also went unfinished.Special Features:
- Worth it despite some minor issuesBedfordNYDined on 5/11/2014One of our favorite seafood/fish restaurants. Arrived on time for our reservation for 3 people and was told it would be as long as 30 minutes to be seated. We spotted an empty table for 2 and asked if we could fit there (yes). Seated under a very cold a/c vent and asked twice before it was adjusted. The restaurant is small so they don't have a lot of flexibility when tables don't turn quickly, but we always enjoy dining here; prices are on the higher side but food quality is excellent.Special Features:
- Attentive staffCustomerVIPDined on 5/11/2014Staff is just superb in theiur attention to patrons' needs. Very, very impressive.Special Features:
- Wonderful seafood findGRfoodiesDined on 5/10/2014Wonderful, fresh seafood primarily, as the name would imply. Some delightful seafood appetizers, followed by well prepared entress, at a relatively reasonable price. Can get a little noisy if the crowd is "energetic", as was the case on our last visit. Service is great, wine list good, food terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fluffy1Dined on 5/4/2014We like the cozy atmosphere and it's low noise level. Great for two people or a small party. The seafood courses are beyond expectation. Will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 303 reviews are from the Elm Street Oyster House reviews archive.
- Best lobster roll!NiteoutdiningDined on 4/25/2014Bustling Friday night business with high noise levels – that however did not detract but only added to the vibrancy of the restaurant.when after considerable period of time our food did not arrive, the host was kind enough to come over to explain that it had been dropped and they were starting over. He then proceeded to bias around of drinks. Frankly, he could have gotten away with saying nothing. They left us with a great feeling and the food was spectacular from trout to lobster roll to softshell crabs to halibut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Expert from Ft Lauderdale123mlmDined on 4/11/2014Heavenly food, oysters were wonderful, fish perfect and sides were exceptional. Excellent service and even though very busy we were take care of right away. Small dining area so a little crowded but only adds to charm of this special occasion restaurant. We cannot wait to go back and try moreSpecial Features:
- Surprised at the sizeKristieDined on 3/30/2014Great little bistro atmosphere. All the staff were wonderfully friendly. Certainly added to the experience. Tables a bit tight together although I understand the reason. Such a small dining room ..they need to get as many tables as possible into the space available. Our reservation was early so the restaurant was fairly empty and that allowed for us to have conversatuons while enjoy our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but Noise is OppressiveDiscriminatingDinerDined on 3/29/2014Elm Stree has wonderful food, but lately the noise level has become intolerable. I left the resraurant frustrated at being unable to communicate with our friends and with a splitting headache.
- Only one complaintDisappointedVIPDined on 3/28/2014I love the Elm Street Oyster House! The food is fantastic, the service is very good and the location is great. My only gripe is that the tables are on top of one another and that does take away from the ambience/privacy. I realize this is necessary due to the size of the restaurant, but sometimes it can effect the overall experience.Special Features:
- Noise with SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014The seafood is as good as ever at this small Greenwich restaurant. The dining room is as cramped as ever and you can enjoy your own and your neighbors converstion while eating great seafood.Special Features:
- Too small to workSessiLeighDined on 3/7/2014Restaurant in chic part of Greenwich is very, very small. Had to ask to change tables after being seated at a table worthy of 6 year olds. No space to get legs under tiny table and no space to actually eat and cut food. Next table was a much larger booth and this was fine. Fried oysters were good and scallops as entre were okay. The so-called butter bathed lobster tails had no butter flavor and needed salt to get some taste--- seemed to be frozen so long that taste left. Restaurant is popular but food is very mundane for the prices.
- A bit of a disappointment.PatriceDined on 3/7/2014This has been my favorite restaurant for well over 15 years. I made a reservation and was placed at a table that was a couple of inches away from the other table on one side and close enough to a table on the other side that staff had to brush against our table every time they went by. Finally, I saw a table open up and asked for it they did move us, but that table should have never been there. The next couple moved there requested a move as well. My favorite meal is the sesame crusted tuna. The last time I had it, it was amazingly fresh and seared perfectly. This piece seemed much smaller, which might explain why it was more than seared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchDJKarDined on 3/3/2014Relaxed environment, good food and quick service. Parking was a problem on Greenwich Avenue. arrive early, before noon.Special Features:
- Best oysters I've had!JanieVIPDined on 2/28/2014Such a great little bistro...can't wait to return! Best oysters I've had in a long time. Wonderful meal, great service...need I say more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i asked for a bankhead seatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/28/2014i asked for a bankhead seat because i have a bad hip and you did NOT accomodate. i have been a regular for 10+ years and i was insultedSpecial Features:
- Worth the noise levelBBQ5Dined on 2/20/2014Very good seafood & service. Main dinning room can get noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leisure lunchDianeVIPDined on 2/9/2014We were in a hurry and wished we could have enjoyed a leisurely lunch as the place was a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodKayakerDined on 2/8/2014Great service,friendly bartender,wait staff attentive. Above all,excellent food.Special Features:
- Great place for anniversary dinnerMaggieDined on 1/26/2014We had our anniversary dinner over at Elm Street Oyster House this year. Ordered oysters, tuna carpaccio, mahi mahi and lobster, with a bottle of the Bruce Pinot. Everything was spectacular, and we were done eating our main course 45 minutes after we arrived. Very attentive service, though not hovering. We told them ahead of time it was our anniversary and they made sure to set aside a nice table for us, greeting us with "Happy Anniversary" when we walked in. We'll go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish and very good serviceTeresab108Dined on 1/24/2014Nice little place for very fresh and good oysters and seafood. Service was very good. The dishes were bland and boring to me and my husband considering the high price tag for our meal. We tried the place on a strong recommendation from friends so maybe it was just what we ordered. We'll explore other places before considering returning. Waiter was attentive and good and I like that it is a small place - neighborhood feel.Special Features:
- a forgotten gem for usDalaniVIPDined on 1/20/2014Can't remember why we haven't been back sooner... Service was the best, food outstanding (especially the 2 dozen oysters) and wine list totally acceptable. It's a small attractive restaurant, known for the selections of shellfish. The tuna was perfect, and the various French fries were a pleasant surprise. And they now take reservations!!!! We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to vastly improve wineCustomerVIPDined on 1/17/2014Need to vastly improve wine list....neeed more Californias...BV, Sterling, Chalone, Rosenblum...and also some Middle Eaastern wines...Lebanon, Israel, MoroccoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful fish and seafoodRadiodaDined on 1/17/2014We've been here before and have looked forward to our return. Wonderful menu with many possible combinations. Fish/seafood always very fresh and prepared deliciously as requested. Small but omfortable dining area. Will return!Special Features:
- Great for oysters and seafoodJohnBDined on 1/17/2014We love oysters and Elm Street wasa great fit. They had good mix of East and West Coast oysters and even hads garlic/spicy cocktail sauce that we had never tried but really enjoyed. The apps and Entrees complement the rest of the meal well. Can't go wrong with scallops wrapped in bacon with great spinach as a side, then Pistachio crusted Bronzini and Grouper for the main course. A nice surprise were the cheese grits that could be chosen as an entrée side. Everything was great! They also had Half Full beer which is a local Stamford brewery that is really gaining recognition. We would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply comfortable and always goodChasVIPDined on 1/11/2014Great little seafood spot just off The Ave in downtown Greenwich. Dishes range from excellent fresh basics to some very inventive concoctions. The service is always outstanding, friendly but professional. Clientele is predominantly local regulars as it is simply that perfect drop in place when you want some good seafood and a glass of wine or three. Oh, and the oysters are always the best available in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteJMD1VIPDined on 1/11/2014Delicious food and now that they take reservations It's awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findCam824Dined on 1/10/2014The food was outstanding. Appetizers, poached oyster and crab avocado was delicious. I ordered the fish tacos which were large, unique and scrumptious. Service staff is gracious and helpful. Fun and great dining experience. A bit loud and tables close but chatted with table next to us and lovely couple. Will return and have already recommended to others!Special Features:
- Terrific restaurantOllieVIPDined on 1/4/2014Food and service are consistently excellent. It is always an enjoyable experience dining at Elm Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but there are better places tRonniTVIPDined on 12/28/2013Have been here many times and while the food is good, prices are high and it is a tight fit in the small dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceBHNJsurferDined on 12/27/2013Elm Street Oyster House was recommended by a friend who frequents the restaurant for both lunch and dinner. We arrived 15 minutes prior to our reservation and were given the option of sitting down or having a drink at the bar. We chose to have a drink and the time frame was ours. It is a cozy place and the people extremely friendly. The restaurant is simple in that there are an ample number of choices that span the palate but certainly not overwhelming. I had oysters followed by the signature tuna dish…my wife had the crab cake entree…both were outstanding. On the side we had the old bay french fries which were amazing. I highly recommend the restaurant…casual and cozy with outstanding food and friendly people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.