Ella Dining Room and Bar
1131 K Street
Sacramento, CA 95814Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Ella Dining Room and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elladiningroomandbar.com/
- Phone: 9164433772x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday, 5:30 - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday, 5:30pm - 10:00pm
We are also open weekday mid-days with a limited menu & bar service. Our Happy Hour is Mon-Fri from 3-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ravin Patel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Zagat rated, Ella is Sacramento's most-lauded dining destination, with award-winning design and service, and clean, seasonal farm-to-table cuisine. Ella is perfect for all events, offering small and large party spaces, private dining, Chef's Tables and Cocktail Party space. See our OT reviews!
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Desmond 9164433772x
- Entertainment: Dine with us before the show and you can leave your car with our valet. This is a great way to avoid the long waits in the crowded parking garages at the theater.
- Special Events: Ella specializes in Private and Banquet Dining for parties large and small. With a variety of dining options and spaces - from an audio visual equipped Private Room, to large semi-private spaces, a cocktail lounge, Chef Tables, a patio, and whole restaurant buyouts - we can meet your Private and Large Party specifications and exceed all your expectations with the best, freshest food and and most genuine service in Sacramento.
Ella also puts on many Special Events throughout the year, from Winemaker Dinners to specialty Cocktail Tastings, and special Chefs Menus for holidays like Mother's Day, Valentine's Day and more. Make your next holiday or happening special at Ella.
- Cross Street: 12th Street
- Public Transit: Cathedral Square Lite Rail stop 100 yards. Bus stops one block in either direction from K Street.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Parking is easy at Ella. We offer convenient valet parking just steps away from our front door. There is also ample street parking at night, and four public parking garages with in two blocks of Ella.
Ella validates for city garages for cars parked after 5:00PM.
Ella is located just one block from both the Sheraton and Hyatt Hotels. Leave your car at your hotel and you are just a few steps from Ella.
A word from Ella Dining Room and Bar
Located in America's Farm to Fork Capital. In the heart of Downtown, the family behind The Kitchen and Selland's Market Café brings you the region’s most relaxed and elegant destination, Ella Dining Room and Bar. Ella offers warm, welcoming ambiance in an inspiring space that evokes effortless European rustic luxury. The environment is modern yet timeless, dramatic yet comforting. Ella brings together the finest quality ingredients from this bountiful region to create authentic and honest fine food that nourishes body and soul. Chef and Owner Randall Selland and family invite you to savor the joys of friends, family, and great food and wine. Service is gracious and refined. Ella has signature handcrafted cocktails, an eclectic and impressive wine list, and a fresh seafood bar. WE specialize in Private Parties. Perfect for business lunches, celebration dinners, and everyday enjoyment. Walking distance from Convention Center, Capitol, theaters, and hotels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Ella Dining Room and Bar - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Ella Dining Room and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (209)fit for foodies (192)notable wine list (124)romantic (119)good for groups (83)vibrant bar scene (77)hot spot (70)neighborhood gem (59)great for lunch (59)great for outdoor dining (21)late-night find (14)great for brunch (13)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Can't complainSromeroVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food and service was good, but it was way too loud. You couldn't really carry on a conversation across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Awesome service but my food was salty. ..best tres leches dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little tarnish on the gleamThaurosDined on 9/19/2014This was maybe our 10th time at Ella, and, though I'll admit, based on past experience there, I have elevated the bar very high, this visit was a little disappointing. The food (everyone in our party had the farm to fork special) was quite good--though not inspirational, as I'd hoped. The sevice was just a little off the mark. Three requests to get the somelier over; water, coffee, bread not replenished without asking. It was very crowded, but my experience has been when exceptional restaurants are crowded, that's when they really shine. Not this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2014Wonderful food and service! The bar is so good, with all of the creative drinks. Always good menu. Scallops are the best, though over salted. The soups are to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dee HartzogDeedeeDined on 9/18/2014One of the best restaurants in the world. The food was outstanding and, unlike most restaurants, the wait staff checked in with us repeatedly during the evening.Special Features:
- Great Farm To ForkWineauxVIPDined on 9/17/2014The Farm To Fork menu was outstanding! Tasty amd prepared to perfection.Special Features:
- Some issuesPeenchoDined on 9/15/2014Hello, we enjoyed our lovely birthday dinner at your restaurant however had some issues that I want to mention the female sommelier did a WONDERFUL job picking a reasonably priced wine for us it was excellent I really take issue with the time this entire meal took. We came in around 6:20 and weren't finished until 9:30...yes we had a lot of courses, but the time in between each one took way too long. I wouldn't have cared much but tables of the same size as ours were seated around us AFTER us, and had departed way before us. This is NOT the first time or I would not be writing this Also my daughter had your special pasta of the night and the portion size was too small. She is not a big eater had it finished in minutes with hardly any pastaSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014This was a very special birthday celebration for a very special friend who happens to be a foodie and lover of good wine. Your food ,vine and service was over the top. We all enjoyed our evening and would come back again. Thank you for making this all happen.Special Features:
- A view from an East Coast FoodiePapaJVIPDined on 9/12/2014Our experience at Ella's was extremely enjoyable. We started out with their special Ella gin and tonic which was made from home-made tonic and a celebrated special of the restaurant. It was not to our fancy having been used to a traditional G and T with Bombay or Hendricks gin. The rest of the meal from the fresh oysters on the half shell, the soup, tomato heirloom salad, salmon, veal chop and dessert were really outstanding. Add the nice service and it was a great meal. Downtown and special! We are really happy we got to travel from the east coast and experience Ella's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticParkerhornDined on 9/11/2014Great place. I live in Atlanta, but travel to Sacramento often. This is the goto place in Downtown.Special Features:
- Fabulous!sacrobinVIPDined on 9/11/2014My husband and I just love Ella! We don't get a chance to dine here very often, but when we do, it's always first rate. Service was superb, from the host who was utterly unflustered and pleasant even though we were late for our reservation and the restaurant was quite busy to our server who provided an excellent wine recommendation and even marked my birthday with a candle in my dessert. The entire staff was very professional and attentive, providing us with a perfectly paced, delicious meal. The food, of course, was just incredible: grilled octopus, Tomales Bay oysters, California King salmon, grilled pork chop, vanilla bean pavlova, tres leches cake! Every course, every item was prepared perfectly. Excellence at every turn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful lunchwonderfuleveningDined on 9/10/2014My first time and it was wonderful. from the buzz free special drinks, to sal,on that was flavorful and moist to a great dessert. I'll be back and maybe next time take my husband.Special Features:
- Where the Hip go to LobbyAllisonVIPDined on 9/9/2014Ella is notorious for providing great drink, great food, and - most importantly in the Capitol area - a wonderful happy hour! For $5 a glass you get a quality white or red wine, plus with things like grown-up fried chicken fingers, oysters, smoked trout rillette or, my favorite, steak tartare and popovers all around the $10 or less mark, you can afford to have one of their amazing bourbon cocktails (the chef de cocktail is a bourbon afficiando and you can tell!). This place was made for me, let's keep it classy, early, and on the cheap.Special Features:
- ReviewerReview4uDined on 9/8/2014I took my friend there for her b-day and I wasn't impressed. The food was good however, the service wasn't great and the area we were seated in was very cramped. The waiter kept running into the back of my friend's chair everytime he had to service another table. Our drinks sat empty for quite sometime. I anticipated receiving excellent service especially given that it was a special occasion, however that was not the case. It would be helpful to address space planning in that restaurant. The hostess was great and the food was good, but again I would expect a certain level of service and ambiance to match the prices charged.
- Outstanding as usuallisabDined on 9/5/2014I've been lucky enough to dine at Ella's over the past 7 years or so and have not been disappointed yet. I can say that the salmon I ordered was one of the best meals I've ever had. By the way, all of the meals I've enjoyed at Ella's are in my "best meals" list. Our server was excellent and the accompanying staff was as well. I look forward to visiting soon and continue to recommend it to anyone looking for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- FINE DINING DOWNTOWN1KTravelerVIPDined on 9/5/2014I had an amazing dining experience at Ella. As a regular of their great Happy Hour, I thought I'd give the dining room a try. I asked my server for 3 courses "Chef's Choice." Without hesitation he got to work and started with an Heirloom Tomato Salad with Miso Aioli and Squash Blossom Pesto. Second Course was a Wood Fired Baby Octopus with Cranberry Beans and Poached egg in an iron skillet. Finally, the seared Scallops with lardons were a great end to the meal. Everything was delicious! Wine pairings were well done and service was impeccable. This counts as a true fine dining experience in Sacramento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Dinner with the Ella team was fantastic! the service was first rate, the food was excellent. we had wine and just enjoyed ourselves tremendously. a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to its reputationSallyDined on 9/4/2014This place is lovely, in a modern but not at all stark way. The service is outstanding and friendly. We want to compliment in particular the wine steward, who was very knowledgeable, very good at explaining wine-making esoterica, and not a bit intimidating, even to people like us who tend to be intimidated by wine stewards. That said, they could have screwed up everything else and the food would still have redeemed them. We especially loved the cedar plank toasted cheese, the heirloom tomato salad and the scallop entree.Special Features:
- Very good food and drinksStaceyo85Dined on 8/30/2014Came here for a birthday dinner and was provided with wonderful service as well as exceptional food and drinks!Special Features:
- Non-stop GoodnessPhantomEaterDined on 8/30/2014The four of us loved this dinner at Ella. Dinner entrees weren't too exciting for us, so we opted to have just about every appetizer/small plate available as they all looked promising. Every dish was quite delicious, with the exception of the watermelon and lobster salad. That was probably the most bland of the food we had. Bone marrow was sumptuous as always, as well as the oysters and rabbit sausage. Wait staff were wonderful and quite fun to talk to. We will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 46th AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014We really appreciated how well we were taken care of. And we have recommended Ellas and will continue too. Thank you, Harlan and Jane MaitaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a Thursday niteSirloveDined on 8/28/2014It was date night, had to get there before the month's end. New and old dishes. Great food great service. And the GM Anthony great friend.. Notable night, well doneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love everything about Ella'sCalPostDined on 8/27/2014This is our new favorite restaurant. Love everything, very good food, perfect and attentive service, very easy valet parking, fresh crafted drinks & the bartenders work well with special requests. The only thing I would change if I could would be some more intimate type seating and the noise level can really be too much at times when they are really packed for dinner. It's a beautiful restaurant but it seems that it's not the best spot for a quiet or romantic dinner..Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014horrible experience related to service. bar server forgot one of the app's and we had to reorder. had to tell them we were ready to dine. apps came long before cocktails. dinner service was terrible too. warm old coffee. asked for dessert wine got the menu but never came to take our order. too bad i was there with business owners ,hospitality folks and prestigious local winery owner. big opportunity missed by ells and bummer of an evening for us.Special Features:
- Eat at Ella!krisDined on 8/27/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the special August lobster menu - we tried the lobster/shrimp toasts on the happy hour menu, the lobster and watermelon salad, the the cast iron lobster with mushrooms and bechamel. All were excellent. Service was fantastic - friendly, educated in the wine and food selections, and attentive. We had a lovely window table and thoroughly enjoyed our midweek meal.Special Features:
- Ella delivers again!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014We knew Ella was great and they proved it again during their lobster month. Great cocktails, great service, great food and desserts and all within walk-in distance of our hotel The CiItizen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Lobster MonthLindaForThePeopleDined on 8/25/2014My husband and I had lunch at Ella's for lobster month -- yum! We shared the lobster cobb salad and had every intention of getting the lobster and shrimp roll... until we saw the heirloom blt on the menu. Had to get and share that instead. Just delicious! The other super delish thing was a "buzz free" cocktail; I had a basil mint lemonade. Just fantastic! It wasn't sweet (which is my usual objection to lemonades), was super flavorful and so refreshing. The service was friendly and excellent. Ella's is a wonderful place for a special occasion or pre-theater dining, as it's right around the corner from the Community Center Theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Anniversary to remember!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014We have been dining at Ella's since we moved here from the Bay Area. We love, love, love it! The service is impeccable and the food is to die for. Thanks again for a cherished night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a favoritefavtimesDined on 8/22/2014I moved to sacramento earlier this summer and Ella is always a favorite to bring friends and colleagues to. One can always depend on the food being great and the ambiance has great energySpecial Features:
- Great for dinner and drinksWAfoodieDined on 8/21/2014While the portions are on the small side, the overall food quality is excellent and delicious. One of my favorite places to eat in sacramento. The Menu changes frequently, so there is always something new to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster, lobster, lobsterJanjanVIPDined on 8/21/2014The lobster casserole was good but we missed the Thermidor, the bone marrow was excellent,the pork chop was juicy and cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C+/B- OverallLunchGuestJan222014Dined on 8/20/2014Three of us had lunch. It was Lobster Month at Ella so that's what we ordered. Food was a C at best. Service was an A. Atmosphere was an A. Not very crowded however.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/16/2014Ella has never failed me. We went recently for my wife's birthday. The service was outstanding. I am always impressed when my children are treated well. The food great as well. I really enjoy the themes they have. The Lobster Thermidor from lobster month was great. Don't miss the desserts! We don't drink alcohol, but Ella has a very inventive non-alcoholic drink menu. It was a great meal.Special Features:
- Lost Their Golden TouchUnderimpressedDined on 8/16/2014I normally rate Ella very highly, but something seemed "off" during my recent visit on a Saturday evening with family. There is usually a monthly menu item that is featured. This time it was lobster. We all ordered either a lobster appetizer or main course. While the presentation was lovely, the taste was bland and blah and the lobster taste was masked by creams and other ingredients. I am referring to the Lobster Thermador. BTW, it was very pricey. I had the heirloom tomato salad, and the tomatoes were tasteless and mushy. Also, the place needs a facelift -- new paint and shine. The ladies room was dirty. After a few years of being a high flyer, perhaps the chef and management need to revisit quality concerns.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Service was pretty good but the food was mediocre. Expected a lot better for the price.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Extremely overpriced for what you get, I expected more from a Selland's restaurant. The service was extremely slow, we had to ask our waiter to come back to our table a couple of time, none of the food came out at the same time, by the time all of the entrees were on the table the first two people to receive their food was almost cold. I ordered the fried chicken which was a little dry but the house-made tobasco is delicious. For what you get it isn't worth the price.
- Excellent food, very slow serviceFoodGeekDined on 8/14/2014I had lunch here this past week, and while the food was excellent, the service was really haphazard and slow. It was an hour and 20 minutes from start to finish, and the service was really pretty bad for a restaurant with such great food -- like my lunch date asked for a black napkin, which never came; I had to ask for bread; we had to flag down a server to order. It wasn't crowded, so it's hard to figure out what is going wrong here. The food, however, was excellent. I had the stone fruit and burrata salad and the melon gazpacho, both of which were excellent. My lunch partner had the cheeseburger with gruyere and an egg on top, which he raved about. It's just too bad about the service. It's not up to par for the quality of the fare.Special Features:
- Once Again ExcellentTharrisDined on 8/13/2014Service was outstanding!! Food was above what we expected!!Special Features:
- Nice but not the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014Food is good, expensive but not horrible. Service is pretentious enough but still not really caring or sincere. Overall it was good, but my least favorite part is it us loud and cold (way over air conditioned) and the tables are crammed together diner style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LodigrapegrowerDined on 8/8/2014Our favorite restorant in Sacramento, everything outstanding. This time the waiter was a 'nuby' and did't measure upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.