Elizabeth's Gone Raw
1341 L Street NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
VeganPrice: $50 and over
Elizabeth's Gone Raw
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elizabethsgoneraw.com/
- Phone: 2023478349x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Friday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Senigen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Catering & Special Events
For an unforgettable wedding reception, corporate event or any other special occasion. Elizabeth"s Gone Raw is part of the Family of The Catering Company of Washington with more than 25 years in the food industry, our intimate approach has earned us the honor of extensive client loyalty, as well as repeated recognition by the Washingtonian Magazine as one of the area's most distinguished caterers.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private venue Elizabeth's on L is one of the most stylish event venues in Washington's downtown core. Located in a renovated federalist townhouse, it can comfortably accommodate up to 90 seated guests.
- Private Party Contact: Elizabeth Petty 2023478040x
- Cross Street: 14th Street NW
- Public Transit: Elizabeth's Gone Raw is located two blocks north of McPherson Square Metro station on the Orange and Blue lines. Walk out the 14th and H street exit. Once on the street level, walk three blocks in the direction of L Street. Turn right at 13th and L street. Elizabeth’s Gone Raw is the sage townhouse halfway down the block.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We recommend that you park at One Franklin Square Parking located at 1301 K Street NW. (Parking entrance is on 13th Street, next to the Fire House Station) for $5.00. (Please remember to take our business card upon leaving to take advantage of our special parking rate).
A word from Elizabeth's Gone Raw
Elizabeth's Gone Raw is a one night a week affair where every Friday Night we offer an extraordinary dining experience. We merge our gorgeous venue with a prix fixe Raw Tasting Menu. Each course is created to evoke the essence of living foods, prepared with imagination and thoughtfulness, selecting seasonal organic products. Each dish boasts a variety of flavors, colors and textures combining raw ingredients in ways that are both healthy and innovative. Everything we serve is free of dairy, gluten and meats. All of our "cheeses" are made by blending fresh herbs with sprouted nuts and seeds. (Our menus are updated every week).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Elizabeth's Gone Raw - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Elizabeth's Gone Raw reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (20)romantic (16)fit for foodies (15)notable wine list (7)neighborhood gem (5)hot spot (3)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014Food and service is phenomenal! Absolutely loved it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- SilverSpringEaterDined on 10/10/2014A gem of an eating experience. It is amazing how good the food is given the vegan/raw rules. Every course was terrific and unique. The wine pairings are a must - the somelier is fun and quirky and spot on in his choices. My wife is gluton free vegetarian and it was so nice for her to have total comfort with the menu and not to have to make any compromises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cap57Dined on 9/26/2014Elegant vegan/raw dining. Service and atmosphere were superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedvegpugDined on 9/19/2014Overall, we had a decent dining experience - the service was great and the decor of restaurant is beautiful. However, the food and wine was not worth the price. I appreciate the effort of creating raw vegetable dishes, but there was no "wow" moment. My husband and I have created raw dishes that were on level with the dishes presented by ERG. No dish was exceptional and I expected that. The wine pairings were excellent; however, the serving size was disappointing. Having spent $50 on wine pairing, I felt cheated.Special Features:
- Unique dining experience in DCluvgoingoutDined on 8/22/2014This place is like no other in the city and in a good way. It's high end vegan raw cuisine in a 6 course meal. They are only open on Friday nights and have a new menu each week. Lots of creative dishes such as "barbecue" or "ravioli" with the raw vegan twist. The kale chips are to die for and you can buy bags of them to go. What's different about the chips is that they aren't baked (remember it's raw so nothing is cooked over 107 degrees to preserve the highest nutritional value) so they are dehydrated and seasoned with a little kick. I know, some people are already cringing but give it a shot and be open minded, you may end up loving it. My meat loving fiance tried it with me and now we go a few times a year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!YummyDined on 8/15/2014This place is so unique! It doesn't matter if you're a vegan or not, the food is delicious. I was amazed at the flavorful combinations in each course. Definitely an expensive splurge, but worth going at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectationsnovadinerDined on 8/8/2014I chose this restaurant because my husband recently starting eating vegan (for health reasons), which really limits what he can eat when we go out. I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the food. We also opted for the wine pairing, which I highly recommend. The wines were very well paired and I enjoyed hearing about each one. The food was filling and satisfying. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- FABULOUSLoveGreatVeganFood1963Dined on 7/25/2014My boyfriend and I went to Elizabeth's for a special birthday dinner. Until we had dinner at Elizabeth's , we believed that Millenium in San Francisco was the only place in the country where one could savor extraordinary vegan fare. We were WRONG. The food was superb. The wine selection (we did the suggested pairings) was extraordinary. The service was fabulous. Every bite of food was a treat. We'll be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingVictoriaVIPDined on 7/18/2014It was an interesting, bold food evening. They did not do anything "safe." By the 4th course, I could have used some texture or crunch. The mock chicken was not fabulous. I have eaten at Matthew Kenney's restaurant in Santa Monica and would give them a slight edge. It is casual by comparison but I think they got the balance right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 57 reviews are from the Elizabeth's Gone Raw reviews archive.
- A Fanstastic ExperienceCMMYAKMANDined on 6/20/2014Both of us are vegan and one is gluten intolerant. Nothing on the menu had gluten, so that was easy. The food was fantastic! The wine pairings were incredible for most of the courses. Even the wines we didn't care for were fun to try. We highly recommend this dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable MealAndymanm123VIPDined on 6/6/2014For our anniversary my wife and I dined at Elizabeth's Gone Raw. I didn't know quite what to expect, but now I'm already looking forward to my next meal there. Elizabeth has crafted delicacies out of raw, uncooked food. The 'crab' soup had no crab in it; the 'meatloaf' had no meat. They are instead concoctions of nuts, vegetables, grains and more. The wine pairing added greatly to the meal. Go to Elizabeth's Gone Raw is a very special meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience !PaulVIPDined on 5/23/2014Our anniversary dinner was a great success... While I am typically more of a carnivore, all courses at Elizabeth's were a delight and I enjoyed every minute of it ! Particularly the tomato main course was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing tasting menu Friday nightsCintiBonnieVIPDined on 3/14/2014I brought my vegetarian daughter and her boyfriend for a unique meal. They loved that they could eat everything without worry! The 6 course tasting menu had expertly prepared vegan dishes that were also generally appealing to non-vegetarians (that would be me). We were all amazed what could be accomplished with raw food, especially the delicious sweet potato cheesecake with candied pecan crust. The menu is different each Friday but is available in advance on the website. Be sure to make reservations (space is limited) and allow plenty of time (I'd suggest 2 hours) to be able to fully enjoy the experience. While the price and setting can certainly elevate this to the level of special occasion, you can either dress up or down. Great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night done right.AnielloDined on 3/14/2014We went for our monthly "date night". In all my years I've never experienced a staff so well trained (all the staff, not just the sommelier) and food so meticulous and delicious. I LOVE this place! It is now my #1 recommendation in DC.Special Features:
- A great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/31/2014For those interested in raw foods and veganism, this is truly raw "cooking" elevated to great heights. Flavors are bold and delicious. I can only hope that they expand their operations to do non-raw vegan and vegetarian menus, although I understand if kitchen limitations prevent that. If you're an omnivore with an open mind, try it all the same. It's a filling experience. I promise you won't be hungry and you're taste flavors you seldom do otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ahhsome!!AlexiaDined on 1/31/2014What a fantastic find ~ we loved this jewel in the middle of DC. Creative dishes, fantastic experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding vegetarian foodEricMgtVIPDined on 1/3/2014Food was awesome, all vegan, tasteful and surprisingly different from everything we have tried before (in a good way!)Special Features:
- Epic meal in a great venueOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/20/2013Food was out of this world. The service was excellent, and it is the first restaurant I have ever been in where the entire staff, from the hostess, to the wait staff, to the sommelier, and, of course, Elizabeth herself were enthusiastic about being at the restaurant. I cannot recommend this place highly enough.Special Features:
- Vegan heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/13/2013This is such a unique place, only opened on Fridays, and full of the most delicious vegan/raw foods. The kale chips are like crack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing and expensiveMLososDined on 11/8/2013A rare find, a gourmet, raw food restaurant. The food was delicious, delicate flavors and exciting textures. The six course meal was a bit too much food, so by the time the dessert arrived I wasn’t sure whether I was too full to enjoy it or if it just wasn’t as good as the rest of the meal… but I am thinking the latter. The room was loud and bustling, not great for a romantic evening. For $75 per person I expected everything to impress .. it was almost there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Unique ExperienceEat2RunVIPDined on 10/25/2013If you want to experience a dramatically different approach to food, visit Elizabeth's Gone Raw. They work hard all week creating a stunning menu for a one night only performance and does that work ever show. They menu is an adventure and there is nothing lost by not being 'cooked'. Staff do an excellent job of explaining what is being served for each course. Looking forward to going back there again to see what they are doing with the changes of the seasons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Any food issues? No problem!BrettVIPDined on 10/25/2013You don't have to be vegan or to follow a raw diet to love the food here. However, I couldn't believe it was either vegan or raw - and that is part of the fun! The set menu served once a week (Fridays) is innovative and tasty. The townhouse location is beautiful with a gorgeous bar downstairs and lovely dining room upstairs. The restaurant was packed (but not too loud, even at full capacity) and our service was a little slow, but they brought us lots of kale chips to keep us munching. I would recommend it without reservation for any vegans and encourage all non-vegans to go and see how fantastic vegan raw food can be!Special Features:
- Very impressedHarryDined on 10/25/2013I am not a vegan/vegetarian, however, my wife is leaning in that direction. My previous experiences with vegan/vegetarian restaurants were somewhat underwhelming. This restaurant, however, has a very creative menu and I went away completely satisfied.Special Features:
- Vegan fine diningMammaCuginiDined on 10/18/2013Rejoice, there is a fine dining option for vegans in Washington DC! Elizabeth's Gone Raw is open only one night a week, but it's worth planning your Friday for that lovely plant-based experience. Elegant, creative, delicious food. Thoughtful wine pairings. Superb service. Make your reservation and enjoy.Special Features:
- Raw Food 6 course mealraw2foodguestsDined on 9/27/2013High end restaurant for raw food. Presentation excellent. Some very unique courses with different tastes and flavors.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceSouthFloridaDinerVIPDined on 9/27/2013My husband and I dined at EGR for a special occasion and it did not disappoint. I have some food allergies and the staff went above and beyond to accommodate me. The food as well as the wine pairings were amazing. Really interesting recipes and fresh produce make for an unforgettable meal. Too bad it isn't open every day of the week. We will visit the next time we are in DC for certain. Bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent with one minor caveatJEZEatsVIPDined on 9/6/2013I have always *loved* the food and experience here. It is delicious and different. I would go back just about anytime and consider this one of the best dining experiences in DC. One minor caveat - except maybe I'd skip it in the dead of winter. I've enjoyed every meal there except when I went in on a particularly cold night. Since the food is all raw, vegetable-based, fresh, local, and seasonal, I attribute this to the particular variety of foods that are available in the winter - in my view, they just don't lend themselves as well to the raw approach, especially when compared to all the colors and varieties of fruits and vegetables the rest of the year. With that minor caveat, I strongly recommend EGR.Special Features:
- It was fun to experiment withJbowdlerDined on 8/30/2013It was fun to experiment with an all raw meal. The price felt high for the food received but not for the service. Staff was excellent. Also appreciated a knowledgeable sommelier on hand for great wine recommendations. I would mention specific goods but the menus changes weekly so that may not help. For the record, though the banana squash soup was wonderful. Less sure about the sweetbreads.Special Features:
- Great experience!SunjayDVIPDined on 8/16/2013This was an unexpected surprise for us. My sister made reservations for my wife and I, and we were a bit weary to try this. But it was truly an experience. The food was good, and beautifully plated. Elizabeth stopped by our table and was helping serve in the restaurant. Her staff was very attentive and cordial. This was definitely an experience which anyone who likes vegetables should go try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm a big carnivore...Flips27Dined on 8/9/2013but I didn't feel like I missed a thing during my dinner. The plates were very creative and made me want to figure out how textures and flavors and presentation were achieved. I couldn't believe that what I was eating was not cooked and not meat. We went with the wine pairing, and the sommelier was very down-to-earth and knowledgeable (refreshing, considering stuffy, know-ti-all's at other establishments); the wine matched the food well. I tried to savor each bite. THE Elizabeth even stopped by the table to check in, and was super friendly. Upon leaving, we learned that there's a Happy Hour on Thursday night, where they serve small plates... so I guess I know where I'll be in a few days...Special Features:
- Expensive but well worth it.LindseyDined on 8/2/2013The food was remarkable and delicious. The menu was inventive and filling. The kale chips were so good we took two bags home with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing. For someMelissaVIPDined on 7/26/2013Food was amazing. For some reason, our dinner took us 3.5 hrs while others were cycling in and out much quicker. We enjoyed the lengthy dining experience but were exhausted by the time dessert came. Delightful experience overall!!Special Features:
- Incredibly pretentious restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2013Incredibly pretentious restaurant, we were seated over 30 minutes late for our "reservation" which was already pushing 9pm. We did not realize the menu was exclusively a $75 tasting course, with no a la carte options, and were essentially scoffed at for asking to split a tasting menu when we realized we weren't hungry enough for a full meal. Although our waitress tried to be pleasant about it, at some point the sommalier came over the "mention" to us how they don't normally split a tasting and how "accommodating" they were being for us. I will not be returning again. That being said, as a former vegetarian turned carnivore accompanied by a Vegan, we both thought was some of the most creative, delicious Vegan food we had ever had.Special Features:
- This restaurant is beautifulZOOLOGIC79Dined on 7/12/2013This restaurant is beautiful and they take all things in consideration to make this a wonderful dining experience. I would highly reccommend this to raw/vegan/vegetarian foodies as well as the meat eaters that just want to try something new and tasty! The staff was friendly and accomodating it was my good friends birthday and they helped me make it a special one! I was there on Friday July 14, 2013 @7pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2013Love it! I love the raw food and there are so many course and such interesting combinations that it makes the meal an adventure. John at the bar is always happy to experiment and create interesting cocktails too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So very little for so very muchOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/14/2013Very well presented showcase of vegan foodstuffs;but servings were tiny and everything was cold. Room was exceptionally elegant, service was superior; but noise level made it difficult to hear my dinner partner
- Great Raw Food!BranpanmanDined on 6/14/2013I have been experimenting with raw food for a while now, and I was absolutely blown away by the quality of our dinner and drinks!) this evening. One of my companions claimed that this was, "the best meal I've ever had in my life." It wasn't an exaggeration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/14/2013absolutely delicious, unique, and tha kale chips are like crack...cannot stop. I still dream about them. RUN to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Interesting experience, FoodKitiiinDined on 6/7/2013Interesting experience, Food was great, the wine with the pairing exquisite, but alltogether too pricey!Special Features:
- Great night out!LindseyDined on 6/7/201315+ plus years eating vegetarian and the raw movement never really did anything for me... until now. Pro: The chef is incredibly creative and our menu took advantage of the delicious seasonal veggies. The beet and "crab" ravioli was something we will not forget. Great server and knowledgeable (and funny) sommelier. Overall a really fun night. Con: As expected, there were a lot of oils in the meals to boast the flavors. While everything was delicious it was definitely a meal with more oil than I normally eat. Eat a salad for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.