2049 Fillmore St @ California
San Francisco, CA 94115Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theelitecafe.com/
- Phone: 4153468400x
- Hours of Operation:
Fried Chicken & Live Blues on Monday nights; music from 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Elite's Oyster Hour Happy Hour Monday - Friday from 4:00pm - 6:00pm and Saturday & Sunday from 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; with Bar Menu served from 3:00.
Monday - Friday, our Bar opens at 3:00pm.
Heated-Outdoor Seating available at all times!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: James London
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Peter Snyderman 4153468400x
- Entertainment: Fried Chicken & Live Blues Every Monday Night
Music featured from 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Cross Street: California St.
- Public Transit: To get public transit information, please visit: http://transit.511.org/tripplanner/index.asp
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered Public Parking lot one-half block away on California Street, between Filllmore & Steiner Streets. Always check posted signs for meter time enforcement details.
G-Sticker neighborhood parking permit not enforced after 6:00pm weekdays and not at all on weekends.
A word from Elite Cafe
This beautiful original Art Deco building began as the Lincoln Grill in 1928. Since 1981, it has been The Elite Cafe. Since its inception, The Elite has served exquisite food with the flavors of New Orleans. Our current menu continues this tradition but with an emphasis on seasonality, the freshest local ingredients, and a lighter touch in our preparation. From the original mahogany booths to the beautiful full bar to the unsurpassed people watching on the Upper Fillmore, The Elite Cafe has something for everyone. We now offer HEATED-OUTDOOR Dining. Enjoy Brunch, Dinner, or a glass of wine while experiencing one of San Francisco's most exciting Shopping & People-Watching streets.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Elite Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (56)fit for foodies (37)great for brunch (24)romantic (24)special occasion (21)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (12)hot spot (12)notable wine list (8)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Neighborhood OldieSarasotaLadyVIPDined on 10/17/2014Since moving to the neighborhood two months ago I have passed the Elite Cafe many times. Finally last Friday we invited two friends to join us and they knew it well and even had been there very recently. The recommended the Jambalaya and I was not disappointed. The serving was generous and not too spicy but a bottle of hot sauce was put on the table in case you like a bit more kick. My husband had the steak and said it was delicious along with the Cajun fries. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good music, OK foodjakkleinVIPDined on 10/13/2014I've been going to the Elite for years, off and on. Unfortunately, while it has a great ambiance and some fine music, the food just doesn't hold up. The squid was clearly frozen (and so small you could hardly see it), the etouffe was OK (very salty), and the gumbo just without flavor. I can't recommend it.Special Features:
- GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Biscuits are great! Great selection of oysters. Very romantic and charming. Service is always good and knowledgable about menu. Good bar and wine selection.Special Features:
- An institution that is still greatUncleFredpicksDined on 9/25/2014Southern food with a California twist - fresh ingredients and great preparation. Been there forever it seems and has not lost a beat. Brunch is great - you can reserve a table from 10 to 10:30 am seating for brunch, so beat the line and reserve with OT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemMP1021Dined on 9/23/2014Love Elite Cafe. I have eaten here several times and will continue to come back and recommend to others. Great food, service, ambiance and location. The Meeting House biscuits are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/22/2014When ever I visit San Fran this is the spot I always bring my friends. The Food and atmosphere has always been amazing. The service sometimes can leave you wanting more, but when you are focused on your table of friends it tends to go less noticed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Food was great. New Orleans inspired but still had lots of gluten free choices. Good variety of cocktails. Service was somewhat sporadic and it is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and energericANITAVIPDined on 9/17/2014There was a combo playing the night we there, very good. I love the booths and the drinks were interesting and very tasty. We all had the Jambalaya, I found it to be bland the tow others liked it. Waiter was good.Special Features:
- Pretty blandSFfoodmanVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food wasn't really that good. We tried the gumbo, etouffee, and jambalaya. None of the dishes would impress anyone who appreciates great, flavorful cajun food.
- Could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/28/2014Started off great. The bartender was friendly and knowledgeable, and brought me one of my favorite drinks - the cajun martini (if you like spicy and you like martinis, you must get one) Unfortunately it went downhill from there. Ordered the salmon entree and it was overcooked, and more importantly I ended up getting a burger later because I was still hungry. (and I'm not fat or a big guy, the portion was small) Not sure if it was an off night or the chef has changed because I've had great meals there in the past, but I also preferred their prior menu a lot more.
- service has declinedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014The food was still great but the service was really bad. The lady that greeted us at the front was very nice and hospitable but and our service was just fine but he seemed rushed and slow at the same time. It actually seemed like the wait staff overall was not happy to be there. I don't know if management or ownership changed but this was noticeable and hard to say that service was really questionable. When you spend over $170 for dinner to expect to have a steak knife when you need one, you expect to have dessert and cappuccino come out at the same time. etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down hillHstudVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food just isn't as good as it used to be. Terrific hostess and waiter.
- Not as good as last timeMrtuddazDined on 8/22/2014Having been before, when I was blown away by the whole experience, this time wasn't as great sadly. The food was a little bland (jambalaya), and the dessert menu was void of the previously wonderful bananas foster. Ambience super, little booths are good but too dark. You can't even read the menu. Overall 6 out of 10Special Features:
- Solid choice for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014Went there for dinner with friends. Their booth seating can be a bit tight, but is surprisingly cosy. Life music was a bit loud, but not too bad.Special Features:
- Belated anniversary dinnerMommyDaddyNightOutDined on 8/17/2014This was a great, quiet, romantic spot to go for our much-needed belated anniversary dinner. The food was delicious, the servers were very attentive, and the ambience was comfortable and inviting. We'd highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gumbo good. Steak bad.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/16/2014Very nice staff and clearly enjoyed by a lot of people as evidenced by a non-stop flow of diners. I suspect they went to Elite for the not-quite-southern/not-quite-cajun menu. The bartenders really know their stuff, and the overall pleasant demeanor of everyone there creates a warm feeling in you that is just right for the food on the menu, but without sacrificing a certain sophistication. The corn bread and the biscuits were delicious, and our guests--who are not from the South--absolutely loved the gumbo. I made the mistake of ordering the steak. Never again! I ordered medium and got a well done piece of leather. Dessert was also great. Overall, therefore, I think people should give this place a try--just don't order the steak.
- MAJOR 'D'louiseknowsVIPDined on 8/13/2014Too bad, we were looking forward to a change for the better with the new chef imported from one of the Carolinas, only it was a major disappointment. The best thing we were the very delicious deviled eggs and the Meeting House Biscuits. My Seafood Gumbol was a royal mess. The rice was all mixed in where it should have been place just in the center of plate surrounded by a rich Gumbo. It was so flavorless I must have added a tablespoon of hot sauce to bring out what was lacking. The so called Duck Confit Étouffée was no better.Special Features:
- music and good foodcherylVIPDined on 8/4/2014We came and sat in a booth and listened to great live blues music and ate fried chicken The best of all. So much funSpecial Features:
- Great place.PrPaDined on 8/3/2014I've been going to The Elite Cafe for 7 years now. The food is excellent, the service is great, and I love the old-San-Francisco, yet modern, vibe. Great place!!! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alracVIPDined on 7/30/2014very difficult to hear one another even tho we were in the last booth!Special Features:
- Different but still the sameKimbafaceVIPDined on 7/28/2014I have been a customer for decades and I know there was a recent new chef and menu update. My friend had the Monday night fried chicken special and I had the pork chops. Both dishes were superb. The wine list was impressive and our waiter was attentive and fun. Also had a nice blues duo that played at perfect noise level to still allow for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cajun in San Francisco2foodiesDined on 7/23/2014We had dinner here the other night because we were talking to friends about New Orleans. The place is cute with enclosed booths. The waitress was helpful with descriptions of food. The cocktails were innovative and delicious. We shared a few different dishes and were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Went for brunchtravelandeatDined on 7/19/2014My sister and I went after hearing about the Bloody Mary's. We both ordered the Atomic Bloody Mary's. They were nothing to write home about. Not hot in the least, and became watered down VERY quickly. The biscuit, while good, was just that, okay. One thing I was VERY happy about was the Beignet I ordered, one of the best I've ever had. Food was good, but again nothing extra special. Overall I'm sure it would be good for a meal other than brunch but brunch was nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolSFVIPDined on 7/16/2014I go back to Elite every few months becasue I want it to be better. It does not seem to get better. I ordered a salad starter that looked like it was yesterdays produce. We had to beg to get water. We waited for a very long time for our food, but the check came quickly. I could hear and see the dissapointment from the waiter when we did not order wine...thinking about his tip perhaps? Best dish...the mac and cheese. Please Elite, return to your former glory!Special Features:
- So diappointing!KTSFVIPDined on 7/8/2014I made a reservation for my birthday and unfortunately was very disappointed! It used to be my favourite go to place, especially as I live in the area and love the food, cocktails and that I can walk there. I had the same terrible waitress as before, she is very slow and clueless. We asked for black napkins, she never came back with them, until the hostess told us they didn't have any - finally! The drinks took almost 15 mins. and two of us had to send back food, one underdone steak and one cold!!! I hate to say this may be my last time going here, unless they can get it together. Good service should be routine, we had a to try to get someone to stop by our table to get attention - disastrous choice!!!
- BlandNoSoulintheFOODDined on 7/8/2014For the prices that they charge... our tab for 4 came to $150+ and we didn't have any alcohol. We were lucky that we had a gift card and had to put out very little cash because the service was okay... their biscuits that you had pay for and their Jerry cakes were the only tasteful dishes of the night. The gumbos that my friends had, that I tasted were bland, the breading on my pork chops were brown but the meat was still pink. I will not be going back their unless they would like to change out their cooks and invite me to come back at their expense.
- shrimp and gritspuckeyeDined on 7/6/2014If you are looking for great shrimp and grits and can't hop a plane to New Orleans. Go to Elite. Get a side of Lardo cornbread and then beignet for dessert. Save the cost of the air fare. You'll be happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 7/4/2014Excellent gumbo. Great red beans and rice .....one of our favorites in SF
- Great Cajun dishesNoelNoelVIPDined on 6/30/2014Elite Cafe has an old-San Francisco vibe. We like the wooden booths. They feel cosy and private, although it can get very loud in the restaurant. They do great Gumbo, Jambalaya, Shrimp & Grits, and Rhubarb Crisp. Also tasty salads and surprisingly yummy deviled eggs. They also offer nice non-Cajun dishes. Everyone at our table was happy. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Good foodWickedyWackedyDined on 6/27/2014Good food but a very limited menu for vegetarians and those who do not like spicy foods good bar menu as wellI would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experience!strawbrygrl13Dined on 6/22/2014Elite can do little wrong, everything was amazing from the moment we stepped in the door until we finished our meal with coffee. The four of us all agreed that the service was exceptional, they anticipated every single need. Atmosphere is top notch. The server and the manager checked in multiple times without being overbearing. We started with their exquisite cocktails and oysters, then all of the dishes that followed were impressive from deviled eggs and biscuits to the gumbo, jambalaya, shrimp & grits, to mac and cheese. My one criticism is that they removed items from the menu since last time. I miss the bbq shrimp and toast, the current shrimp & grits just don't compare. But otherwise, super well done Elite! You are a favorite!Special Features:
- The following 720 reviews are from the Elite Cafe reviews archive.
- Wonderful mealcapughDined on 6/21/2014Dined here on a Saturday night. Nice crowd, great service. We enjoyed some great signature cocktails, the yummy bisquits, my husband had salmon and I had jambalaya. Both were delicious, and just right spicy. We enjoyed the beignets with espresso ice cream for dessert, outstanding!Special Features:
- a1OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014We went for the first time on a Monday ... Fried Chicken and Blues. A delightful evening. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceChrisVIPDined on 6/1/2014I'm always a bit hesitant with New Orleans cooking, as I'm from there, so a harsh judge. But Elite Cafe satisfied. I had their jambalaya, which was excellent ... very flavorful and hearty. I look forward to going back some time to try their gumbo.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious every timejonsVIPDined on 6/1/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in Pacific Heights. So flavorful, rich, and with numerous options that everyone can enjoy. Outstanding cocktails, as well if you like bourbon. Only drawback is service can be spottySpecial Features:
- Request not metKGoettDined on 5/15/2014We requested simply a table outside and didn't have one when we showed up. Hostess said she wasn't sure if we wanted to sit outside or not. It was my only request. She said we would have to wait a long time before we could get outside seating. We were disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old world treasureHannieFoodsterDined on 5/11/2014A classy find. The original wood panelled booths and the white table cloth service and menu made us feel like we where in 1950's Louisiana. What a treat for me on mothers day. My son was the only 3 year old there for dinner but he enjoyed it too. The turn of the century menu and even the look of the staff totally made it for me. There where a few 'afro-american' mother daughter groups there too, so it was really good cajan food lets say. Genuine - authentic oldworld charm, without the hipsters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Our party of 4 arrived for brunch on Mother's Day expecting to have some interesting choices for a late breakfast. The choices were very elementary, one kind of pancakes, and a few egg dishes. Two had the seafood benedict, one had pancakes and one an omelet. None were memorable, about one would expect in any generic diner. Our server was doing the best he could. Probably won't go back.
- Service needs an upgradeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/11/2014Quickly: Ordered 3 bloody's - got two. The third took 15 more minutes Ordered Oysters - never got them, after flagging the waiter and making sure we would have them BEFORE the food comes. Donuts - took 25 minutes Eventually he brought the oysters and said they are "helping us out" with them - then charged full ($3.50 each) price. Like this place a lot, but they need to up their game.Special Features:
- Just okLove2DineVIPDined on 5/10/2014I was glad to find a place that would seat 8 on a Sat night at 8pm via open table for same day rez. Menu had a variety of standard Cajun/creole dishes. Not as authentic and flavorful as I'm used to so asked for some gumbo file powder which is common to have available when serving gumbo (at least in TX where I'm from) but the waiter (who seemed more like the GM or someone who was familiar with the place) said he had no idea what that was, went to ask and then came back from the kitchen and said the chef had just used the last of it. We were surprised as that's kinda the equivalent of saying he just used all the salt, but it explained the lack of flavor. Biscuits were amazing though.Special Features: