Élevage at Epicurean Hotel
1207 S. Howard Ave
Tampa, FL 33606Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Élevage at Epicurean Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://epicureanhotel.com/eat/restaurant/
- Phone: (813) 999-8726
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Johnson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Élevage at Epicurean Hotel
At Élevage, James Beard Award Semifinalist, Executive Chef Chad Johnson reexamines classic cuisine from around the world and elevates it with a modern twist. Developed out of Bern's Steak House traditions, this restaurant continues to do things differently with great pride and passion. The concept curates the idea of Nostalgia meets Nouveau in all aspects of Élevage, from the reclaimed wood througout, to the enticing menu items that Chef Chad Johnson brings to life within this concept. The Beverage program is led by Dean Hurst, Director of Spirits, and Eric Hale General Manager/Sommelier of Élevage & EDGE. Combined, they bring both wine and mixology to another level. At EDGE Social Drinkery, the Rooftop Bar, you can enjoy Dean's creations, crafted by Dean and our extremely talented bar team. At Élevage, you can enjoy a world class wine list curated together utlizing all resources within the Bern's family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Élevage at Epicurean Hotel - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
Élevage at Epicurean Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)special occasion (58)notable wine list (56)hot spot (51)neighborhood gem (43)romantic (39)good for groups (31)vibrant bar scene (29)great for brunch (19)great for lunch (18)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Has found its footing...!VerySatisfiedDinerVIPDined on 11/21/2014We really really really like Elevage. When it first opened, things were a bit rocky: service challenges, timing challenges, crowd management and more. We wondered if the restaurant would 'get it together' or 'fall off the rails.' After a series of pretty terrific meals lately--including Friday evening's somewhat quiet couple's night, we can safely say that Elevage has it firmly together. A terrific series of small plates: the 'liver & onions' is ridiculously delicious, as is the roasted tomato soup (don't let the simple name fool you) and even the 'house' salad (which is anything but ordinary). Tiffany's Burger (she of the service staff--and she is an excellent and very knowledgeable staffer!) is equally good (but needs a better bread to further elevate the burger!) And the staff and timing are much more efficient and proper. What a terrific light dinner--greatly enhanced by Tiffany's service! Overall--excellent. Now....about those 'probably super expensive but always wobbly tables......'!Special Features:
- Delicious Shrimp & gritsBella01VIPDined on 11/16/2014Breakfast always enjoyable!! Always Great food, cappuccinos & service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was fantastic! The food was amazing!discerningtasteDined on 11/15/2014The server was very friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. She explained dishes and made excellent recommendations, in addition to her fantastic attitude. The food was absolutely amazing. We started off with the Parisian Gnocchi Thermidor and the Scallops Grenobloise...two appetizers that I would definitely recommend. The gnocchi melts in your mouth, and the taste was very impressive. The scallops were succulent and delicious. For entrees, we had the Buffalo and the Hanger Steak. Both were cooked to perfection and tasted amazing. Often, restaurants featuring artistic presentations come up short on the quantity; however, this was not the case with Elevage. The quantity of food was good, and the quality of the meal was extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trendy and tasty restaurantludukVIPDined on 11/14/2014Nice trendy restaurant. Great wine list, and great menu. Service was above expectation, cordial, professional and well trained. Dishes were all well presented, tasty and matching perfectly the look and feel of the place. i will definitely come back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not exceptionalFoodieAmyTpaDined on 11/14/2014I was excited to try this restaurant because I am a self-proclaimed foodie. I ordered the steak sandwich and my boyfriend ordered the burger. Both were good but not over the top delicious as I would have expected from a place that touts itself the Epicurean hotel. The steak was cooked well but had more gristle than I would have liked. It came with onion rings and they were a bit over seasoned. I would consider going back and giving it another try. The ambiance is great and the service was spot on.Special Features:
- Wonderful except...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014Absolutely wonderful food, service and ambiance. Bill was $150 for 2 with inexpensive bottle of wine. Would give it 5 stars but saw $4 charge for bread.... Really??????Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FindTampanianDined on 11/9/2014I had such an amazing experience at Elevage. The atmosphere was warm and inviting. The wait staff did a phenomenal job with explanation of the menu and the kitchen put out great presentation. The food was fun, different and tasty. Cocktails and wine selections were top-notch. Really well thought out menu. Tiffany, our server was a gem and she was able to get us a reservation for the dessert room at Bern's. All in all a wonderful experience for a Sunday evening. Highly recommend this eatery for any occasion and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a special occasionburgerscottDined on 11/8/2014Our traditional anniversary spot had been Mise en Place, but a couple of disappointing experiences sent us looking elsewhere. The Epicurean hosted a getaway for my company, during which I had multiple opportunities to eat at Elevage, and the food and service were consistently excellent, so I suggested it for our anniversary this year. Everything was great—particularly the hanger steak and the lobster thermidor gnocchi—and the service (our server's name was Matt) was outstanding. Definitely worth a trip across the bridge from our home in St. Pete.Special Features:
- Clever, Imaginative MenuThursNiteDined on 11/6/2014The waitress explained the premise of the menu as being family dinner favorites, taken to fine modern dining heights. The classic example is their "tuna casserole" with rare tuna and fresh mushrooms over pasta (it sounds much more eloquent on the menu). Having just had sushi the night before, I passed on the fish, though it looked delicious. Instead, I ordered "Buffalo Buffalo", based on buffalo chicken wings. Wow, it was good! The buffalo filet was cooked perfectly and extremely tender. Blue cheese is always a welcome addition to any steak, and to carry the buffalo wing theme, it was served over celery root mash with a chili drizzle and celery leaves as a garnish on top.Special Features:
- BrunchheartladyDined on 11/2/2014What a great place. Service was exceptional and food was even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Planned an anniversary weekend at Epicurian hotel and dinner at Elevage. Hotel is beautiful and staff friendly. The restaurant staff was attentive and kind. Portions were huge and delicious. We enjoyed dinner so much we came back for breakfast and this time shared our dish. Many of the staff who helped us the evening before were there for breakfast and remembered us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very delicious food!foodiepiratesDined on 10/28/2014We tried several items from the menu and were not disappointed with any of them.. It might be a little pricey just to hang out and have dinner and drinks but, I see my self dinning there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FindleeintpaflDined on 10/27/2014Elevage was a perfect place for us to take an out-of-town guest for a memorable meal. The wait staff is extremely friendly and helpful with the menu items - we were never left "looking" for help, they anticipated our needs very well. The menu is comfortable but eclectic at the same time - wonderfully interesting/exciting mix to choose from. We loved it!Special Features:
- JchaitJchaitVIPDined on 10/25/2014Being the name of the hotel where this is located is EPICURIAN.... The food was not even close in quality to its neighbor Berns Steakhouse. Great gor drinks and a snack in the bar but not for dining.Special Features:
- Elegant at Élevage !CDMontrealDined on 10/25/2014What a great first experience. From the ambience, to the food, to the service. It was all good. Other than some older couple that was there that was being rude to a family with a very well behaved baby it was a great experience. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itDrewSchVIPDined on 10/23/2014I've been twice. Extremely over priced for the quality of the food. Paid $42 for a steak that was tough to chew and flavorless. Restaurant is loud. Service poor. Will not be going back.
- Saved our nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We were dining at a nearby restaurant but left due to the poor quality of food... That's how we ended up at Epicurean. It was my fiance's birthday and we wanted to have an excellent meal and night out. We are so thrilled to have stumbled across The Epicurean. The wine menu is phenomenal!! The waiter offered us a mini tasting and ordered a fantastic Pinot Noir instead of our usual Cabernet. The scallops were cooked and seasoned perfectly. Our dinner was top notch and we had a fantastic time. The staff is incredible from Omar at Valet to the Manager that made sure we were having an incredible night. A BIG THANK YOU to our waiter too! We have found a new favorite dining spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loud, food was decentMissSharpeDined on 10/17/2014Our server was the best thing about our experience at elevage. The atmosphere was extremely noisy, particularly due to the loud, obnoxious seated four tables away. The food was good, a few hits and misses. The butter was outstanding, tasting freshly churned. Overall, decent experience, but not up to Bern's standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 adults2playinghookieDined on 10/16/2014Service was exceptional from the entire staff. Exceptional food would be a complete understatement and would do it no justice. The selection of different flavors and combinations allows for everyone to have something they are going to love. We see a return visit in our near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MrsJLGDined on 10/15/2014We went for dinner and our server Patrick was outstanding. We could not have asked for better, more professional or friendly service. He was very attentive but not overly so and we wanted for nothing. The atmosphere is a kind of modern, ecclectic decor with a possible underotne of nautical. The found was incredible. We had a starter of lobster gnocci which is nothing like it sounds. Flavorful and plentiful it was a great start. The beet salad was fresh and different. I had scallops (slightly undercooked) and AMAZING goats cheese and roasted tomato grits. My husband had a steak sandwich which was equally amazing Overall we had a great experience and would tell anyone to come here! And thanks again Patrick!Special Features:
- 70th BirthdaycelebrateDined on 10/14/2014Our first Evelage dining experience was yummy and enjoyable. Food offerings right up our alley and our waitress,Tiffany, kept our food and drinks coming...we were stuffed by the end of our small plate(s) meal! A new experience well worth repeating!Special Features:
- Great hotel restaurantPaigeDined on 10/10/2014This was one of the best restaurants we could have eaten at, great décor, lots of history about the family who built it, knowledgeable staff, we would recommend to anyone and especially foodies. We have eaten at some of the best in the country and this place is on our list for the furture.Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestSlowhand0Dined on 10/9/2014Despite so many negative reviews, I treated a friend to a birthday luncheon recently and was underwhelmed to say the least. The best part was the pre-lunch cocktail. We ordered a basket of the "fresh baked artisanal bread" for $4.00. There were four slices of warm, buttered toasted brioche slices, but the rest was dried out, hard, white and rye baguette slices. I had a roasted tomato soup with cheese soldiers. The soup was very tasty but the cheese soldiers were dry and inedible. At this point, my guest ( another foodie like myself) and I decided to play it safe with burgers...lamb for her and beef for me. She enjoyed her lamb burger. Mine was thin and dry. A pecan brownie was lovely to share. The bill with tax and tip $106. Not returning.
- Evening at ElevageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014The food was excellent. Small tables, high noise level and informal dress by wait staff did not provide a feeling of elegance. The atmosphere did not match the pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere - Food MarginalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2014I took my friend to lunch for her birthday. We found the food only marginal. We ordered the Homage to Berns and the onion rings were so salty we couldn't eat them. They had apparently sat under a heat lamp for some time because they were also soggy. The service was great as well as the wine. I do plan to give it another try during the dinner hour to see if the food is any better in the evenings.Special Features:
- fantasticBruedemanDined on 9/26/2014Our food was amazing. The veal marsalla was terrific. My fiance had the hanger steak which she loved. It was a beautiful restaurant with great ambiance. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Momsluv2eat2Dined on 9/26/2014Too pricey for the food, my dish was too saltynot enough variety, noise level too high The food was good, service was great. Dessert was the best !! Not worth the drive. Glad we tried it once ( maybe) don't think we will be back for secondsSpecial Features:
- Wow!!!NancyBVIPDined on 9/25/2014I'm not sure which was greater, the fun factor or the food factor. This is a restaurant that simply cannot be missed. Begin with possibly the best service I have ever experienced, move on to a most interesting and quirky menu with items that end up being far more delicious than their names might suggest, and top it off with a warm, if not a bit too loud atmosphere and does it get any better? We ordered several small plates to share and they were all fabulous. The Pork and Beans, the fried green tomatoes, the beet salad, the mushrooms, the cheese plate and oh my god, the steak sandwich, all winners. Great drinks and wine menu as well. We wanted to check out the rooftop bar, but it was raining buckets so that will have to wait for next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014Excellent food....even with its hotel association, it pulls from the prestigious Bern's past and places it's own twist on food. Excellent service and selection of wine. Knowledgeable staff and very attentive. Good that it is down the street from Bayshore to walk off the calories after done eating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time with great service!JpbfsuDined on 9/21/2014Mark Adam did a remarkable job with the explanation, suggestive selling, and knowledge of the menu. Hostess could have been a little more welcoming and professional. Overall a great experience for our 1yr anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the $$jbj26Dined on 9/20/2014Considering its affiliation with Bern's and considering we ordered $30 entrees, I expected much better food quality. Appetizers and entrees all left much to be desired. Presentation and service were very good, but food quality was similar to Outback/Chile's. You can do much better elsewhere for same $$.
- DisappointedgfdfchickVIPDined on 9/20/2014Nothing on menu looked exciting. Having grown up in Tampa and having dined at Berns often, this was a let down. Felt like I was eating in a barn and paying high end prices. Decor was odd. Been there, won't be back.
- Great Staff and Delicious FoodRiceSpiceDined on 9/19/2014Group of six of us were there for a birthday dinner. Our server was very attentive and catered to everyone's crazy requests and orders. I had the tuna casserole which was beyond excellent and my husband had the hangar steak which he enjoyed. I've been to Elevage a couple of times now and have not been disappointed. Wish it was not such a rainy night because it would have been nice to grab a drink on the rooftop bar, but we walked crossed the street and had post-dinner drinks at Bern's.Special Features:
- Good food, able to hear!LeslieVIPDined on 9/18/2014Good place to meet friends for lunch and actually be able to carry on a conversation and hear each other. The food is very good and the ambience nice. A bit pricey for everyday so go on special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waaay too loudPattyPVIPDined on 9/13/2014We were there on a saturday night and the clatter of cutlery and the voices of fellow diners was distracting and unpleasant. We will never eat here again on a busy weekend. The food was very good and the service outstanding, so it's a shame to lose an otherwise fine local restaurant from our repertoire.
- We keep coming back!chetDined on 9/13/2014Ewe have always had a great experience there. The food and the staff are excellent.Special Features:
- Great food, cool atmosphereHeidiDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I enjoyed date night here. The staff was very attentive. The veal chop and steak sandwich were both delicious. We went up to the rooftop bar afterwards to enjoy a drink and nice view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkDelapazDined on 9/11/2014Elevage was recommended for its food and it was a disappointment, the food was at best ok but lacking in flavor and imagination. The server seemed only interested in adding to the bill, overall would not recommend, we have better luck at Edison, Refractory, and a few other places in Tampa
- Trendy spotmarcioDined on 9/6/2014We had a great dinner to celebrate our anniversary. Tiffany, our waitress was outstanding and made some great recommendations. The wine selection is impressive and the food was great. We then moved to the rooftop bar, which has some awesome drinks and a great view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the vealicequeen83Dined on 8/30/2014Dined at Elevage over the Labor Day weekend. Nice ambiance. The veal and the steak were great! Loved the extensive wine list.Special Features: