Élevage at Epicurean Hotel
1207 S. Howard Ave
Tampa, FL 33606Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Élevage at Epicurean Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://epicureanhotel.com/eat/restaurant/
- Phone: 8139998726x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Johnson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Élevage at Epicurean Hotel
At Élevage, James Beard Award Semifinalist, Executive Chef Chad Johnson reexamines classic cuisine from around the world and elevates it with a modern twist. Developed out of Bern's Steak House traditions, this restaurant continues to do things differently with great pride and passion. The concept curates the idea of Nostalgia meets Nouveau in all aspects of Élevage, from the reclaimed wood througout, to the enticing menu items that Chef Chad Johnson brings to life within this concept. The Beverage program is led by Dean Hurst, Director of Spirits, and Eric Hale General Manager/Sommelier of Élevage & EDGE. Combined, they bring both wine and mixology to another level. At EDGE Social Drinkery, the Rooftop Bar, you can enjoy Dean's creations, crafted by Dean and our extremely talented bar team. At Élevage, you can enjoy a world class wine list curated together utlizing all resources within the Bern's family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Élevage at Epicurean Hotel - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
Élevage at Epicurean Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (113)special occasion (79)neighborhood gem (72)notable wine list (65)hot spot (63)vibrant bar scene (50)great for brunch (43)romantic (39)great for lunch (38)good for groups (36)late-night find (21)great for outdoor dining (17)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Loved the vealicequeen83Dined on 8/30/2014Dined at Elevage over the Labor Day weekend. Nice ambiance. The veal and the steak were great! Loved the extensive wine list.Special Features:
- Dinner ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014It was our first time at Elevage and it was a wonderful experience. The food was great with elevated flavors. The ambiance was great and loved the décor of the restaurant. The tables are a bit close together but overall, it was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at ElevageOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014We tried Elevage for the first time. It was excellent! The food was fabulous. I kept it simple with the Homage to Bern's and would never believe someone could improve on the Bern's steak sandwich but they did! We also started with the bikini sandwich (fabulous!) and shared mac and cheese. Great experience and excellent service. Before dinner, we hit the rooftop bar, Edge, and enjoyed some great cocktails. Definitely a wonderful evening out.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Went to celebrate a birthday and it was everything we were hoping for and more. The food was outstanding. Our server, Chris was very helpful and gave us a fantastic run down of the restaurant and the menu, as it was our first time. There was a fun choice of cocktails, the food was beyond words, the chef was very accommodating when I wanted to substitute a side and my boyfriend even received a hand written note for his birthday. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brithday DinnerCMPDDined on 8/23/2014Excellent experience, minus the noise level; it was so loud we could not hear the waitress tell us about the menu or anything else she said. We could not even hear ourselves talk, so it became very distracting and annoying. We were celebrating my dad's birthday, and could hardly talk. Otherwise, great experience; I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish with a hint of interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/17/2014The place is not only upscale and gorgeous but they have a some chefs that are really inspired by freshness. They have a living wall in the cocktail area that is to the ceiling. The chefs come out daily and harvest the greenery that they need for the day. Each dish is has a unique flavor that I have not had anywhere else. We were lucky enough to meet with Chef Max and he was very polite to explain the inspirations that he and his team have had to make some of the dishes we tried. One of my favorites was the French Toast with the Figs and Bacon Marmalade. It is nice to see such a new place getting everything right. We will definitely be back because chefs like Chef Max making dining here a experience to remember!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014Horrible service, waiter forgot coffee, had to ask numerous times for water, although restaurant was not busy. Will not be back.Special Features:
- Great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014This is a high quality restaurant without the inflated prices. The steak sandwich is wonderful, and is just as good, if not better, than the steak sandwich at sister restaurant Berns. Also, the wine and beer list were extensive. Much simpler and a better atmosphere/view than Berns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie MeccaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014I highly recommend this place to any foodie. From the decor to the use of locally grown/raised food (including inside the restaurant), staff's knowledge of the menu, and the execution of each dish – Elevage truly is an outstanding experience that is easily approachable to anyone. The chef uses popular dishes such as cedar plan salmon, strip steak, and veal marsala but expands the concept uses a large and diverse culinary vocabulary. The techniques and use of ingredients are not easily matched. I can't wait to explore more of the hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A “HAPPENING” KITCHENPatCVIPDined on 8/15/2014My husband has not stopped talking about the golden beet salad since lunch! He said that not being a fan of what is normally thought of as peasant food, this one was incredible! This was a concert of flavors, from the toying sweetness of the roasted golden beets, thinly sliced endive, fresh leaf spinach, “purple haze” goat cheese, in a maple mustard vinaigrette. The beets tasted like fresh pears! We finished lunch with another new entry: a tasty blueberry tart with vanilla ice cream on a bed of cinnamon sugar and blueberry coulis. Needless to say, this is an artful kitchen in the hands of a number of quite talented young chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- energetic and noisyjakeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Good food and good service. Some interesting plates, presented well. Place is all tile and concrete with lots of young energetic people so the noise level is pretty high. Otherwise worth a shot if you are in the neighborhood. Do go to the rooftop bar for a drink either before or after dinner if the weather permits.Special Features:
- Delicious as always!Foodiefan24Dined on 8/11/2014The place continues to perform. Great service and a wonderful meal! Setting the bar for Tampa and beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good service-food was not so goodlouiepDined on 8/9/2014Good service. Food was not good for the price. I dont mind paying for good food, but when the food is average, i feel disappointedSpecial Features:
- Simply Excellent!FloridaFoodieDined on 8/8/2014Elevage may become one of our new favorites in Tampa Bay... Great menu, excellent bar, and outstanding service! Not to be missed...Special Features:
- An Epicurean delight!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014What a great restaurant! Went twice the same week - once for a business dinner with 12 folks and another for a celebratory dinner. All I can say is WOW! Creative menu; wonderful ingredients; excellent service. Really a delight. This is my new favorite restaurant in Tampa. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableFoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014We go to Elevage frequently because we love the energetic scene, great food and drinks, super bartenders and wait staff. We always feel welcomed. If you want to have a good time out with quality food, this is the place to go. It can be very noisy at times, especially on rainy nights because everyone from the outside rooftop bar runs to the inside bar. The energy just gets better. If you want a quiet night, go elsewhere. And on rainy nights the covered valet area is a big plusSpecial Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsBourbonAndAbsintheDined on 7/26/2014The dining room was energetic but at the same time we could carry on a conversation without issue among the four of us. The service was outstanding; Attentive and engaging. We split a variety of starters including the scallops, raw oysters and the escargot risotto. Everything was very tasty but the risotto is a must order. The entrees were seasoned and cooked perfectly (monkfish/hanger and strip steaks). The hardest part was deciding what to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of HypetheSuperStarDined on 7/25/2014After reading all the reviews, and finally had dinner there, it didn't meet our expectations. Started with the Raw Oysters - it had a strong fishy smell, which leads to me to believe they were not fresh and had been out for a while. Dinner was a Merguez Burger - I love Moroccan food, the spices, flavors and smells, love it! However, I bit into the burger and it was like biting into a ball of salt, it kinda numb my tongue, I couldn't finish my burger. I believe it was the feta cheese that made it too salty, I scraped it off but it was futile. On the plus side, the table ordered a bottle of Syrah Le Pousseur, which was recommend by the maitre d, everyone enjoyed it to the last drop.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/25/2014Very creative food and drink choices. Gotta get the tuna noodle casserole, amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014very unique/ creative menu. The escargot appetizer was awesomeSpecial Features:
- Lunch at the EpicureanJETTDined on 7/17/2014Lunch at the Epicurean was was good but not great. We expected more! It did not meet our expectation with regards to menu options or ambience.
- Sample AwayHodgesVIPDined on 7/13/2014We decided to eat at the bar and just enjoy some wine and sample a variety of things. The okra, deviled eggs and barbq oysters are great and we enjoyed the mac & cheese too. My husband loved the smoke pork chop. We were presented with a card upon arrival thanking us for celebrating (birthday) with them which I found to be a very special touch. Nice wine list--definitely would go back to sample more of the menu!Special Features:
- Yummy but pricybernsloverDined on 7/13/2014We decided to conclude our stay at the Epicurean with brunch at Elevage. The service was excellent, as was the atmosphere. We started our meal with a cinnamon bun, which was HUGE and a little overly sweet for me, but worth a try. I had the lobster and bacon hash for my entree, which was delicious. I definitely enjoyed that. My fiance had the sourdough pancakes with brie butter and said they were good, but was not terribly in love with them. The only caveat here is the price. Be prepared to spend for this meal. I'm glad we had the experience, but neither one of us felt like it would be worth it for us to come here again and spend the money that we did. However, if you're a foodie, this may be your place!Special Features:
- Good Spot!TampafoodloveDined on 7/12/2014Our server was awesome! The staff was great despite the fact that I made an error in booking my reservation and had to change it last minute. Food was delicious (Hanger Steak) and wine recommendation was great! Our server was attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- Over ratedYummyinmytummieDined on 7/12/2014Service was excellent but the food was only so so and overpriced. The selection was limited especially since we went the berns the night prior. I had the raw oyster app and hanger steak entree. The oysters were good but had a seasoning on it that was so so. I much prefer cocktail sauce and crackers better. For $16 a half dozen it was lack luster. The steak was average and the sides were not special as this place for "foodies" advertises. If you want to go big go to Berns (make reservations 1 mo + ahead) otherwise save your money and go to yhe places down the road (green lemon and ciccero's).
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/11/2014Great place to people watch. Go for different flavors and tastes. Bone marrow, macaroons, cheeses. Given its expense, it will not be on the recurring places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Business BreakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2014Elevage is the perfect spot for a business breakfast. Beautiful setting, close to downtown with easy valet parking. Traditional or inventive menu choices, great coffee, bright but quiet morning atmosphere to catch up and talk business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting but not spectacularAlexaeatsVIPDined on 7/9/2014Had high hopes given Elevage's pedigree but left feeling meh. There's great decor and an inventive menu but also definite misses. Service was personal but a bit over the top--an overly extensive wine explanation was followed by lapses (serving on the left, clearing plates while others are still dining). Food was hit or miss. The bikini starter promised ham/cheese with truffle but no truffle to be found. Escargot risotto was inspired and delicious. Tuna casserole was brilliant. Biggest issue was we sent to celebrate a birthday and they asked twice about it but did absolutely nothing to acknowledge it. This confirmed the very up and down nature of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/5/2014One has to go to this restaurant if in Tampa. The setting, menu, service and wine list are impresive. Taste, portions, quality and plating are worth to mention. We had reservations at 8:15 PM, and although it took the restaurant more than 30 minutes to get us a table, the management was always on top of it and treated us with apetizers while we waited. If you are looking for a restaurant in Tampa with good service and food, this is one of them.Special Features:
- Good, not greatBellionDined on 7/5/2014Appetizers were fair. Steak was fantastic. Their own wine store is next door and we purchased a $65 bottle that was not offered on the restaurant menu, but then we were charged a $25 corking fee. Server was good but did not say much and was not as knowledgeable of the menu as one would expect with fine dining. It was good but for the price there are there are other restaurant options that I would prefer.Special Features:
- very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/4/2014We traveled from Sarasota to Tampa for a weekend just to have an evening at Elevage. Although our appetizers were great, our entrees both had to be returned. The monkfish was greasy and the bun on the lamb burger was totally stale. They handled it well and did not charge...but still a disappointment.
- Great twist on classicsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014The chef reinvents new forms of classic foods, so it's a fun experience. We came here with a party of 14 and they accomodated us beautifully. The waiters were attentive and all orders were correct. Must try the fish and chips, the tomato bisque, and the dry aged steak! Stay clear of the deviled eggs (I'm an egg lover and these didn't impress me). The rabbit pâté (not foie gras, although that's what it's called on the menu) is pretty good if you enjoy pâté. The bone marrow is good, but lacks salt (Boca's is better and has a bigger portion). The raw oysters were fresh and cold-water, so definitely worth a taste. The Mac and cheese is amazing, probably because of the velveeta cheese. The bourgognaisse mushrooms were decadent, perfect side!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over HypedprooflessDined on 7/1/2014The restaurant has been promoted for months as an epicurean and gourmet quality restaurant. My group of four all felt that the menu was not varied enough or typical of a fine dining establishment. None of us considered the food as gourmet or even special. The prices were also too high for the quality of food offered.
- Breakfast to start the dayPatCVIPDined on 7/1/2014We thought we should have breakfast to see if the quality was as good as brunch, lunch and dinner - and we were treated to the same, high quality, personalized service and food. You do not have to be a hotel guest to enjoy a wonderful breakfast to start your day, and with the quality and quantity of food you get, you can do what we did - - - skip lunch!Special Features:
- Outstanding!MarthaDined on 6/30/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary with a quick lunch date before work. The food was outstanding! Service incredible! They even gave us a hand-written card for the occasion! Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic in TampawordsofmissoDined on 6/28/2014A new addition to the Tampa bay food scene, with a touch of modern dining and upscale entree choices.Special Features:
- biztravellerreviewVIPDined on 6/28/2014Can not say enough about how much we enjoyed this restaurant. The food was unique and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Style trumps substance!tampa4foodVIPDined on 6/27/2014Great chic ambience, good service and very unimpressive food awaits at this promising concept restaurant. The cocktail list is pathetic 1/2 dozen usual suspects, circa 1990s. Menu is very brief from what one expects. Food is hit or miss. Even the beef dishes (Bern's claim to fame) are very ordinary. I expected better and was disappointed. Do not recommend.
- Very PleasantDisappointingDined on 6/27/2014We were seated right away...server was quick and knowledgeable. Price was very reasonable. Rooftop bar was very nice...Special Features:
- A great lunch!KRx2Dined on 6/27/2014A Chad Johnson twist on some classic dishes. I had the tomato soup and my friend had the steak sandwich. Fortunately he was willing to share the onion rings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.