elements on hollis
Halifax, NS B3H2P6Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
elements on hollis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elementsonhollis.ca/
- Phone: (902) 496-7960
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30 am - 11:00 am Brunch: Sunday: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30 am - 10:00 pm; Sunday: closed for dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Canadian
- Executive Chef: Chef Raj Gupta
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Why not have dinner come to you. We can offer fully catered functions in the comfort of your own home. From small intimate sit down dinners, stand up receptions or buffet dinners for you and your guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room holds up to 16 guests in addition we can offer fully private events for 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Williams 9024967960
- Cross Street: Terminal Road
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: We are located in the westin hotel and offer complimentary parking based on availability to all dining room guests. Please bring your parking ticket and your server will validate it for you. Street parking is also free between 6pm and 8am as well as on weekends and holidays.
A word from elements on hollis
Our menu focuses on local ingredients within a 50-mile radius of the restaurant. Guests will experience the elements of local Nova Scotia farms' while savoring the exotic flavors created by our multinational, award-winning culinary team.Continued
Our Chefs and culinary team foster personal relationships with farmers & producers within Nova Scotia to bring the finest seasonal, fresh products to the restaurant with the best combination of ingredients. Our dishes will focus on local, fresh products with flavours and inspiration from around the world.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
elements on hollis - Best Restaurants in Halifax ›
elements on hollis reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (3)special occasion (2)fit for foodies (2)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Excellent choices, great variety. Service...mehBrunchloverDined on 11/16/2014Overall we enjoyed eating at Elements. The food was excellent! By far the best brunch in Halifax. Loved the omelet bar. Wished there were more toppings like tomatoes. The host, Jonathan, was chatty and personable and asked us if we had been there before. We said we had not. We were told to enjoy but not told about where everything was. There was brunch inside and lunch outside in a hallway. We had to ask if it was all included and it was unclear. A run down would have helped. Once seated we had to get up and flag down a waitress for water. Then we had to ask for coffee. Then we had to ask for cream. There was warm milk on the table from a previousted guest. Very frustrating. The wait staff seemed to all be covering the entire restaurant and it was hard to get their attention. When we wanted to pay we went to the front and our waitress brought us our bill with a frustrated look. Maybe it was an off day for the wait staff or maybe we were sitting in the black hole table that goes unnoticed but the lack of service definately dampened our visit. I'd go back and give it another chance because the food was so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of brunchesHilamurphDined on 10/19/2014I came to Elements last weekend for the first time and it was fantastic. Wonderful food choices from fruit, to eggs Benedict, to homemade waffles. So much variety, I couldn't get enough. The staff were so polite and welcoming and i can't wait to come back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchChrislgDined on 9/28/2014Had a wonderful brunch! Attentive staff and the chef at the omelette station was great! I can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at "elements on hollis"fairfax51Dined on 8/2/2014The occasion was our wedding anniversary and we were accompanied by a friend who lives in Halifax. We first heard about "elements" on a short list of recommended Halifax restaurants from the organizer of a cycling tour that started the following day. I also checked out the website before making a reservation. The wait staff acknowledged when we arrived that they were short staffed. It was true, but fortunately the restaurant was not busy at all when we were there, some help came from elsewhere in the hotel, and the staff were good natured and helpful about the situation. The food lived up to our expectations, especially the unique and tasty beet & pear salad and the seared halibut which was perfectly cooked. Overall a very good experience.Special Features:
- The following 81 reviews are from the elements on hollis reviews archive.
- Great PlaceCalgaryChefVIPDined on 6/10/2014Excellent Service & the food was exceptional. As a Chef myself I was thoroughly impressed with the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LobsterCowboy777VIPDined on 5/2/2014They were not busy when we went so the chef created lobster Newburgh for us! Spectacular! Service was fabulous. Not your typical hotel restaurant!Special Features:
- The tableblackroomDined on 4/20/2014There was a room set up with black curtains, no light, we felt like we were in a cave. Our favorite food was the shrimp and smoked salmon!!!!Awesome. Our waitress was "the best"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hotel Restaurant ChoiceRemyRufusDined on 4/20/2014Most times hotel restaurant are a hit and miss, most often overlooked for being in a hotel. Not the case with Elements located in the Westin Halifax Hotel. Our family party of six throughly enjoyed our Easter Brunch. Choice variety, quality,presentation and very attentive service made for a perfect time together. A pleasing touch was the soloist guitar player. What made this even more rewarding was the very reasonable all encompassing price, a bargain compared to other similar city eateries. We've dined there before and know it to be consistent, no matter what the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place but so so foodYangDined on 3/25/2014Food was so so, and I didn't feel full after smallplate+maincourse+martini. Maybe I should just sit down and take some salad only.Special Features:
- One of our favouritesColleenDDined on 2/15/2014We've been here many times and it's one of our favourites in the city. Most of the menu is sourced locally. This can be limiting but not so here. Great food, reasonably priced and excellent service keep us coming back.Special Features:
- BirthdayBirthdaycelebrationDined on 1/3/2014Elements went above and beyond to celebrate the birthday of one of our party. True, they were very quiet, but they expended a great deal of enthusiasm and ingenuity in making her birthday a special event! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New MenuLadyShrekDined on 1/2/2014I took a friend to Elements as he is moving. They started a new menu which did not have bad choices on it. We had the onion soup. It barely had any cheese on it and the broth was a little salty. Both my friend and I were disappointed in the soup. I had the pork loin chop and my friend had the filet mignon. The sauce was a wee bit salty but other than that the main course was delicious. The dessert was okay. Nothing to write home about. With a little tweaking, everything will be superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve Buffet DinnerHandukDined on 12/31/2013Good food. Good service for a buffet dinner. Nice atmosphere. Nice dinner before the countdown to 2014. Enjoyed our time there, thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great evening outdingerDined on 10/25/2013The service was outstanding, and the selection of local NS wines at $5.00 over cost was a selling feature, as I believe any chance to promote local industry is fantastic. The meals were great; wonderful presentation. Nice short menu which is an indication of well thought out choices and typically a guaranteed excellant meal. Have already recommended "Elements" to a number of people, and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, local food.aceoneDined on 10/11/2013This restaurant is in the Westin Nova Scotian. Very nice ambiance, good wine list, and food is locally sourced. The free range chicken and halibut were both excellent, as was the Caesar Salad. The wine list is varied, and a good selection. The highlight of the night was the terrific service from Sarah, our server, and the manager. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodJmk1955Dined on 10/1/2013Got off our cruise ship on a dismal rainy day and Elements was the bright spot ! After a short walk we arrived at this elegant restaurant. It was difficult to select what to eat- the menu full of tempting choices . Be sure to order the greens as your side-they were outstanding as were the 2 seafood dishes that my mom and I ordered. You can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchbmutasDined on 9/22/2013elements on hollis serves Sunday Brunch from 11:30 am until 2:00 pm. There's live entertainment and a wide selection of brunch items ranging from freshly made omelets and waffles to eggs benedict and a selection of desserts including a chocolate fountain. The wait staff were very attentive and the light guitar entertainment added to the mood. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sustainable foodDuckyDined on 9/12/2013Local fresh ingredients well prepared. Staff well acquainted with menu and selecting appropriate wine pairings. The freshly baked br rosemary bread (done in a soup can) was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyMaggieDined on 8/30/2013The food was delicious.The charcuterie plate outstanding.The cauliflower steak dish delicious.Our server was not familiar with the menu.The time between being served our appetizer and being served our main meal was too long.We were never offered bread,and then we waited and waited for our check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Mealaddicted2deliciousDined on 8/9/2013Wonderful Dining experience; everything was perfectly cooked and the staff went above and beyond to ensure that we had everything we needed to enjoy the meal. The beef tenderloin at dinner was the best I've ever had and the brunch buffet offered a wonderful selection that left everyone in our group happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but DeadBreanneDined on 7/22/2013I know I should be happy that we were the only ones in the place as the server was super attentive but it made it feel like it was a dead and "unwanted" atmosphere. A bit pricey but we were there for my 25th birthday so we did not mind. Everything from the wine, to the entree to the AMAZING ROSEMARY BREAD was just delicious. No complaints on the food - just was a bit too quiet, of course it also was a Monday..Special Features:
- I had higher expectationssanpatDined on 7/4/2013Not many choices on menu...my husband's chicken was dry . .my pork was tasteless I had to add a tone of salt ...never again! However, the waitress was very nice and helpful ...
- SatisfyingJomarDined on 6/29/2013Homemade bread was great, service was experienced and flawless, food was flavorful and cooked just right (menu lacks steak options) . I had bone in pork loin, my wife had chicken, appetizer was squash soup. No regrets! Thank you elements on Hollis for a great dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Timer Experiencing ElementsTheCuriousPalateDined on 5/28/2013I was interested in trying something new for a special occasion without breaking the bank. It was very quiet and not busy at all when we arrived. In fact, the place was empty for our 6:30 reservation. Food was delicious, unique, and locally inspired. Because it is located in the Westin Hotel, I think their main customer base are tourists and business travelers. Though, we went on a Tuesday night, which is probably not a busy night anywhere. I would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceDaniel03Dined on 5/25/2013Dinner was incredible. Service was some of the best I have seen in Halifax. Food was much better than expected at a hotel restaurant. I have heard other great reviews and elements lived up to those and my expecatations. I will highly reccommend this restuarant with it's local offerings/Special Features:
- A Big DisappointmentweliketoeatDined on 5/20/2013After reading the reviews, seeing the menu and looking at the images of the food we were looking forward to eating here as a last stop before heading back home to Ontario. Although the service was good the food was not. The kitchen used to many combinations of spices and/or herbs on each of their items in their dishes. The herbs/spices dominated the palate which affected the taste of the food, not allowing one to appreciate the quality of the items provided (i.e., couldn't taste the lobster from the fennel or the fresh spinach due to the salad being overdressed). Despite this disappointment, we did enjoy staying at the Westin Hotel and will do so again but next time we won't be eating at Elements on Hollis.
- we had good service from ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2013we had good service from our server, our main concern was the very long time gettig our main course after the appetizer.Special Features:
- Our dinner was beautifullyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/5/2013Our dinner was beautifully presented on the plate and by the servers. The chef is locally sourcing much on the menu including the extensive Nova Scotian wine list. The vegetables were delicious; we all wished there had been more provided on the plate. BravoSpecial Features:
- We almost left before we evenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2013We almost left before we even ordered but were happy we stayed. No one offered to take our coats and the ambience was very "hotel restaurant" which could easily be remedied by dimming the lights and white tablecloths. Once a couple big groups left it quieted down and service improved. The food was amazing and for that reason will be back and would recommend this restaurant.
- We loved the atmosphere hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/6/2013We loved the atmosphere here - enough light to see everything, like the menu, but not overly bright. Nice use of colour and accents. The mushroom tart with growler cheese was great; very delicate flavours that blended well together. The pork loin dinner had great side dishes (loved the barley risotto) but the meat itself was a bit dry. The steak, on the other hand was beautifully moist and tender. Liked the coffee pot brought to the table.Special Features:
- We had a table for two inJoanneDined on 1/26/2013We had a table for two in a secluded corner. Our waitress was exceptional. She was very knowledgeable about the menu and could recommend meals for dietary issues. The kitchen was efficient; our meals arrived in good time and were creatively presented. The seafood stew was excellent. The spinach salad was beautifully presented and was tasty. The chocolate pate with the raspberry sauce was lovely.Special Features:
- I was very impressed withOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/21/2013I was very impressed with the breakfast buffet at Elements. Surprisingly varied for a hotel restaurant and many vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Fine Modern Dining in HalifaxOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2013Excellent evening. We were well looked after. I removed one star from the Food rating because I felt the selection of desserts were not at the same level as the rest of the meal. Otherwise Elements is a fine place to take someone to be specially treated.Special Features:
- Aside from being out of aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012Aside from being out of a couple of items, to be expected what with the 50 km sourcing thing, and the fact the fact that appy wasn't comped as promised, we were very pleased. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Best Brunch in Halifax!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/16/2012Brunch Dec 16th 2013 - to celebrate my sons 25th birthday. Amazing food-fresh,flavorful with unbelievable choices even for picky eaters. Our Waitress eyed Birthday cards and notified kitchen staff - special dessert presented with chocolate piped Happy Birthday on plate. Our family enjoyed fresh custom made omlets, sushi,turkey dinner, succulent roast beef and my personal favorite - the best buttermilk waffle with fresh berries and whipping cream that I have ever had! Looking forward to celebrating all our family birthdays at Elements in 2013.Special Features:
- This was an excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2012This was an excellent restaurant where I went for my anniversary. The portions were generous and the food was superb. I loved the local-food concept, and even within these constraints, the chefs were able to make truly impressive fare.Special Features:
- went to their Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2012went to their Sunday brunch and it was fabulous. Excellent selection-sushi, salads, hot breakfast selections, hot lunch selections (carvery), fruit, desserts, fresh made omelettes, waffles, etc. Food quality was great. Live music playing definitely enhanced the experience. Service was impressive too. Totally satisfied and can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- I had the pork belly, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2012I had the pork belly, and really enjoyed it. I asked for a wine suggestion to go with my meal, and was surprise, but not disapointed, to dring a really good white wine from NS.Special Features:
- Won't be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2012Food choice was not as stated on menu. Potatoes were underdone and salmon was underwhelming. Lobster was from frozen as far as we could tell. Service was ok but slow and inattentive.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012We made reservations but when we arrived and were seated our table wasn't even ready. It did not have four place settings only three. I found this an annoying start to the evening especially since there were only four other tables occupied. Then it took over an hour for our food to arrive making us late to an event we were attending. Also the Pork Belly on the menu described itself as crispy but was not crispy upon arrival, and it was served with very soggy gnocchi. Apart from that the special of pork chops was good and the lobster was also enjoyed. My final issue was the wine list. $12 a glass for local wine and only 5 oz I might add was ridiculously steep and insulting to me as a customer. Taking advantage of people.