1419 Carroll Street
Saint Louis, MO 63104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elementstl.com/
- Phone: (314) 241-1674
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Hardesty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room capable of seating 8 people.
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Manager 3143483242x
A word from Element
Welcome to Element restaurant and lounge. We offer seasonal, local American food and our menu changes often. Our dining room is located on the second floor of the power plant building. Our lounge is located on the 3rd floor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Element - Best Restaurants in St. Louis ›
Element reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (91)great for outdoor dining (70)special occasion (65)scenic view (56)romantic (50)neighborhood gem (50)vibrant bar scene (33)good for groups (30)hot spot (28)late-night find (17)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Much improvedLocalDinerDined on 11/19/2014This is our second time to this restaurant, and the food seems much better. The service was good, the atmosphere is wonderful, and the place was quiet on a Wednesday evening. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Element was great! From the time you walk in, the staff makes you feel welcome. Our server was very knowledgeable of the menu items, which helps greatly when dining at a new-to-you restaurant. The food was prepared perfectly and arrived shortly after finishing each course. The service staff was on point and was quick to discard previous dishes. The general layout and feel of the restaurant was very interesting and relaxing. Not too dark, not to bright, with a comfortable feel. I would recommend anyone, to at the very least, try out Element.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014A nice restaurant but very noisy. Not good if you want a conversation. Why do servers, even in upscale restaurants refer to all customers, even couples by saying "What can I get you guys!)
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014I don't think it's one of the best in St. Louis but it was a good dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but....sahmnotDined on 10/25/2014The place is very nice, but the food was meh. We ordered a few small plates in addition to our entres, and we asked for bread (three times). They brought the bread at the END of our meal. The place wasn't that full either, maybe 4 other tables so it's not like they were super busy. Our waiter was extremely nice though. I ordered the steak, medium rare, and it came rare. I had to send back and I got my plate back when everybody else had finished eating. This was our second time at the restaurant, the first time was great, this time not so much. Probably won't be coming back for food, just for drinks, their bar upstairs is really nice.
- Top notch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Great food, great service and great setting! Would recommend to anyone in a second!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry but I wouldn't go backEatStLouisDined on 10/25/2014Great location and look to the place but the food was not good and the service was average. It took 20 minutes to get a drink because of a printer issue. The waitress was good about finally realizing I didn't have my drink and told mad it would be removed from the bill. Ok, this was a good recovery in the beginning. Unfortunately out of the 5 dishes we ordered I would only note one as memorable and our two main plates were not cooked properly (one over cooked and the other undercooked). In hindsight I should have known better when I made the reservation on Saturday afternoon and no time slots were full. Likewise the whole time we were there the restaurant had no more than 10 tables of dinners.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014I enjoyed everything about Element. My only complaint is a little pricey, which would limit my visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent new restaurant !!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/22/2014We were very pleasantly surprised -- 4 of us all tried different entrees and loved them. Even one who is never pleased with restaurant food ate with real pleasure !!Special Features:
- Another great meal at Elementsmont7Dined on 10/18/2014One of our favorite restaurants in St. Louis. The ambience is warm, the service attentive and knowledgeable, and the food, as always, excellent. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but noisyChuckDined on 10/17/2014I only gave the ambiance three stars because, while the restaurant is attractive and comfortable, the noise level when it starts to fill up is unacceptably loud. We go out to dinner to for both food and conversation, either alone or with friends. Element's bare concrete floors and wood-and-metal decor makes that impossible. We might be back, but if so it will be early when before the place starts to fill up.Special Features:
- Okay... Food better than "Fair"PKLuDined on 10/14/2014Great decor, hip, service nice, menu is interesting, though overall experience is a so-so. There's a lack "life" in the place, the open kitchen is fun if the chefs themselves seem enthused (the background music stopped within 20 minutes of opening for dinner, and staff didn’t seem to care…), but other than that food was interesting, not your normal menu – had the pork belly and it was huge portioned and yummie, but husband had the steak which was more like slab-o-meat on a pool of runny mashed potatoes, mediocre. Mind you, went on a week night to celebrate husband's birthday, and not expecting much, but if you want a “night out” experience go on their weekends or Fridays night. The ambiance is not enough of a draw for regular evenings.Special Features:
- great experienceRcgriffinDined on 10/9/2014Wonderful! I was filled with the sensational awakening of my culinary palette. The cuisine was impeccable with a great balance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for the missing "Element"RdausjrDined on 10/9/2014Great looking restaurant that captures a trendy urban loft appeal coupled with an open rooftop area perfect for delivering the big city landscape and single mingle scene. The wine selection was fair but felt it was light on options for an upscale restaurant; this was confirmed by watching two tables bring in their own wine. The largest missing element was the food. After visiting the website your convinced that the chefs will deliver just short of amazing. Like the wine I would have liked to see a few more options on the menu but all around good food with an above average presentation. The build up was better than the delivery but I plan on giving them another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique establishment with good foodTigerKitDined on 10/8/2014I went with a group of 5 and everyone really like their meals and the view from the outside dining area was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vibe - Lousy FoodPollyDadVIPDined on 10/4/2014We wanted to like this restaurant. Great building, location, style and vibe. However, the food failed miserably. The smoked chicken wing appetizer, while plentiful, was mediocre. The beet salad was flavorless despite being dressed with 3-sauces. A knowledgeable chef would roast, not boil the beets. My wife's pork belly main course was an inedible mass of quivering fat, so she sent it back. The chef came to our table to explain the nature of pork belly. His comments either challenged my wife's knowledge or accused her of eating the meat and then sending the dish back. In either case, his defensive remarks were uncalled for. They did remove the pork belly from our bill and offered free desert, but we deferred. I would never return to Elements
- Not up the the usual standardshowarc1Dined on 10/1/2014Last few times I've been to Element, they were out of at least one or two menu items. Not a big deal when you have a large menu, but challenging when you have a small one like Element.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Tasty food. Small plates are really small. Large plates are normal. Poor wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & serviceVisitoroutofUSVIPDined on 9/24/2014Despite getting lost in the taxi ride but was definitely worth it. Maitre d'ire came down to bring me up the restaurant. What a great service. One of the best presented and tastiest seafood cocktail I ever had. Chef offered the beet salad as a compliment. It was simple but elegantly presented again with great taste of different colored beet, kelp chips. The tender oxtail was pulled apart for easy chewing with pickled vegetable and grapes, which is an unusual combination. I ordered a side dish of steam vegetable which is not on the menu. It was my first time tasting lobster mushroom with great texture. The price is so reasonable at a lofty warehouse location. Will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In our element!CweRMDined on 9/23/2014Very creative menu. Fresh ingredients which were identifiable. Great waitress who seemed to really like the. Shared two appetizers with friends. Didn't have wine I wanted but gave me a price break on another wine which was generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would never go backfoodsmylifeDined on 9/23/2014Noisy open kitchen with sounds of dishes etc. clanking, The chicken wings were so dry you thought they were cooked the day before. the salad had way to much dressing and was a wet mess....
- Hit the spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We celebrated a birthday with my wife and 8yr old son. The food, service, ambience and view were all remarkable. Our son enjoyed the view of St. Louis, the ability to roam the patios and check out their herb and vegetable garden (spread about in pots) and watching rock climbing from the window overlooking the climbing gym.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Our experience on the over all was good, food presentation was great and tasted good until I got to my last bite, it was very salty. Their runners need some training, twice food was brought to us that belong to another table, some of the runners did not seem to know where the food needed to be delivered. Do not take the elevator, is very slow, I hope the paramedics never have to use it in case of an emergency. Our waitress certainly knew her stuff and was very friendly and quick on her feet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Succulent skateOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014Another outstanding meal! Succulent skate presented in an intriguing roll. Oxtail was delicious. Service was helpful and attentive, Beautiful patio dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnTykamoDined on 9/12/2014Too noisey. 24 hour pork steak too fatty. Pleasant waiter but spoke too softly for a noisey restaurant.Special Features:
- Great.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014We had a great dining experience and the food and service were wonderful. A great special occasion spot and we would love to go back and enjoy the outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My husband and I went to Element to celebrate his new job. The cocktails were great, the food was very good, and our service was excellent. We enjoyed two cocktails each, two appetizers, and two entrees. We thought that $160 for two people is a bit extravagant, which is why we will only be dining at Element for special occasions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Food was cold. Reheated but some of the dishes were off. Rather sour. Drinks were great. Service good. Food not worth the price.Special Features:
- below expectationsspoonballVIPDined on 9/5/2014I love trying new restaurants when they get good ratings. So perhaps my expectations were too high here. Menu was very limited, and you don't get much food for the price, so value is an issue. Food was quite good. BUT. They charge $6 for bread. They didn't have Dewar's, non-alcoholic beer or even decaf coffee. And it rained on our table and we were sitting inside! I doubt we will be going back.
- Very Disappointing ExperiencejoamDined on 9/4/2014I have been to Element several times for dinner and live in the neighborhood. I was taking some friends to dinner since i have highly recommended Element. This time the experience was extremely disappointing and it will be a long time before i return for dinner. when we sat down the menus were all dirty - 2 had red wine ring stains on them and one other had food stains. so this was very unappetizing. I ordered skate wing which was raw, which the chef should have noticed as he plated it. We ordered dessert but after 45 minutes it never came and we cancelled it. Finally, and most incredibly the restaurant does not serve decaf coffee - real hole in the menu.
- Cityscape ViewMadpayneDined on 9/3/2014We enjoyed the amazing outdoor city view from the deck while celebrating my birthday. It is a truly unique venue in the old city hospital power house in a shared environment with a three level climbing gym. The service was impeccable, though the place was nearly empty on a Wednesday night. The menu was very limited, but the food was well prepared. Hopefully, there will be a wider variety of choices available as the restaurant becomes more established.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening and Great FoodBpfoodieDined on 9/2/2014What wonderful experience dining at Element!! Started off with some cocktails in the bar, which were all delicious. We then went to the dining room for dinner. Although the experience started off a little shaky since we had two different servers in a matter of two minutes, the meal was wonderful and our server was very knowledgable! Beyond that, my partner is a vegetarian and the chef was able to make a special entree, which was most appreciated and delicious to boot. This is my 5th time dining at Element and it has yet to disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two great places in oneKatherineGDined on 8/30/2014Lounge on 3rd floor and restaurant on 2nd floor are very distinct and unique- but both are great! Cant wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Welcome SurpriseBraseGigantiVIPDined on 8/30/2014I don't know why it took us so long to try Element, but after our first visit, we smacked ourselves for not having gone there sooner. The space is great and very reminiscent of far-downtown Manhattan, having taken up the 2nd/3rd floors of the old City Hospital's power plant building. The 3rd floor bar is spacious and welcoming, and the bartenders are both friendly AND extremely knowledgeable. As for dinner, we both opted for the braised ox-tail entree, and it was spectacular: deep flavors with a few surprising touches. The sole mediocre note was a very dry bread pudding that was borderline inedible. Go for the drinks, appetizers, and main courses -- they are WELL worth your time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun place8anewDined on 8/30/2014We had never been here before, so went early to visit the bar before our dinner reservations at 6:30pm. Beautiful place, chairs a little too far apart in the lounge for conversation, we had to sit on the edges to hear each other even though the bar was empty. The reason the service is rated 4 stars instead of five is that the service in the bar was super slow. We were the only people there! Took forever to get our four drinks and then the tab while three waitresses were hanging out at the bar. The service downstairs was FABULOUS! Our waitress was fantastic. The chicken was crispy, yet moist. The rib eye was delicious. The fish I must say was a disappointment, overcooked with not a lot of flavor. Desserts were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dee111Dined on 8/28/2014We ate dinner here and it was great, we just moved into the Georgian and will be regular customers!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday boyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014We were celebrating a birthday with lunch and it was very good - with champagne. The salads were fresh and the cheeses were delicious. The dessert choices were not what we wanted for a birthday, but the fig sorbet was excellent - and a birthday treat. We visited the upstairs lounge and saw that the view was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique flavor combinations!VizartsVIPDined on 8/23/2014The plate was small but the flavor was big on the braised pigs ear....yum! A unique presentation to be sure. My braised oxtail was also packed with flavor but my husbands halibut...not so much. We also we're not impressed with the chocolate dessert...just ok & the fact that they didn't have cappuccino or espresso to go with it & the bar choices were limited which is disappointing since the vibe is great & we would've loved to hang after dinner.Special Features:
- LovefoodandwineDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant was just OK. The wine was not good at all--seemed very young. The decor and staff were excellent. The roasted chicken was smothered in some sauce covering the taste of chicken. It didn't taste bad, just not much chicken flavor. The fish choices were cooked well, but eh haddock had no real flavor.
- underwhelmedwannabechefDined on 8/23/2014I had heard good things about Element so I was excited to try it, unfortunately it left me underwhelmed. The food was good, but just that--nothing was spectacular or worth writing home about. The drinks were the same--good but nothing special. The service was friendly but a little rushed and invasive, not the nice relaxed atmosphere that you would like for a Saturday night dinner. Overall it was overpriced for the meal we got. I have had much better meals for less elsewhere.