1419 Carroll Street
Saint Louis, MO 63104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elementstl.com/
- Phone: 3142411674x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Hardesty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room capable of seating 8 people.
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Manager 3143483242x
A word from Element
Welcome to Element restaurant and lounge. We offer seasonal, local American food and our menu changes often. Our dining room is located on the second floor of the power plant building. Our lounge is located on the 3rd floor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Element - Best Restaurants in St. Louis ›
Element reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (125)great for outdoor dining (102)special occasion (86)scenic view (80)romantic (65)neighborhood gem (65)vibrant bar scene (47)hot spot (39)good for groups (36)late-night find (23)notable wine list (16)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Hit the spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We celebrated a birthday with my wife and 8yr old son. The food, service, ambience and view were all remarkable. Our son enjoyed the view of St. Louis, the ability to roam the patios and check out their herb and vegetable garden (spread about in pots) and watching rock climbing from the window overlooking the climbing gym.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Our experience on the over all was good, food presentation was great and tasted good until I got to my last bite, it was very salty. Their runners need some training, twice food was brought to us that belong to another table, some of the runners did not seem to know where the food needed to be delivered. Do not take the elevator, is very slow, I hope the paramedics never have to use it in case of an emergency. Our waitress certainly knew her stuff and was very friendly and quick on her feet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Succulent skateOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014Another outstanding meal! Succulent skate presented in an intriguing roll. Oxtail was delicious. Service was helpful and attentive, Beautiful patio dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnTykamoDined on 9/12/2014Too noisey. 24 hour pork steak too fatty. Pleasant waiter but spoke too softly for a noisey restaurant.Special Features:
- Great.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014We had a great dining experience and the food and service were wonderful. A great special occasion spot and we would love to go back and enjoy the outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My husband and I went to Element to celebrate his new job. The cocktails were great, the food was very good, and our service was excellent. We enjoyed two cocktails each, two appetizers, and two entrees. We thought that $160 for two people is a bit extravagant, which is why we will only be dining at Element for special occasions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Food was cold. Reheated but some of the dishes were off. Rather sour. Drinks were great. Service good. Food not worth the price.Special Features:
- below expectationsspoonballVIPDined on 9/5/2014I love trying new restaurants when they get good ratings. So perhaps my expectations were too high here. Menu was very limited, and you don't get much food for the price, so value is an issue. Food was quite good. BUT. They charge $6 for bread. They didn't have Dewar's, non-alcoholic beer or even decaf coffee. And it rained on our table and we were sitting inside! I doubt we will be going back.
- Very Disappointing ExperiencejoamDined on 9/4/2014I have been to Element several times for dinner and live in the neighborhood. I was taking some friends to dinner since i have highly recommended Element. This time the experience was extremely disappointing and it will be a long time before i return for dinner. when we sat down the menus were all dirty - 2 had red wine ring stains on them and one other had food stains. so this was very unappetizing. I ordered skate wing which was raw, which the chef should have noticed as he plated it. We ordered dessert but after 45 minutes it never came and we cancelled it. Finally, and most incredibly the restaurant does not serve decaf coffee - real hole in the menu.
- Cityscape ViewMadpayneDined on 9/3/2014We enjoyed the amazing outdoor city view from the deck while celebrating my birthday. It is a truly unique venue in the old city hospital power house in a shared environment with a three level climbing gym. The service was impeccable, though the place was nearly empty on a Wednesday night. The menu was very limited, but the food was well prepared. Hopefully, there will be a wider variety of choices available as the restaurant becomes more established.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening and Great FoodBpfoodieDined on 9/2/2014What wonderful experience dining at Element!! Started off with some cocktails in the bar, which were all delicious. We then went to the dining room for dinner. Although the experience started off a little shaky since we had two different servers in a matter of two minutes, the meal was wonderful and our server was very knowledgable! Beyond that, my partner is a vegetarian and the chef was able to make a special entree, which was most appreciated and delicious to boot. This is my 5th time dining at Element and it has yet to disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two great places in oneKatherineGDined on 8/30/2014Lounge on 3rd floor and restaurant on 2nd floor are very distinct and unique- but both are great! Cant wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Welcome SurpriseBraseGigantiVIPDined on 8/30/2014I don't know why it took us so long to try Element, but after our first visit, we smacked ourselves for not having gone there sooner. The space is great and very reminiscent of far-downtown Manhattan, having taken up the 2nd/3rd floors of the old City Hospital's power plant building. The 3rd floor bar is spacious and welcoming, and the bartenders are both friendly AND extremely knowledgeable. As for dinner, we both opted for the braised ox-tail entree, and it was spectacular: deep flavors with a few surprising touches. The sole mediocre note was a very dry bread pudding that was borderline inedible. Go for the drinks, appetizers, and main courses -- they are WELL worth your time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun place8anewDined on 8/30/2014We had never been here before, so went early to visit the bar before our dinner reservations at 6:30pm. Beautiful place, chairs a little too far apart in the lounge for conversation, we had to sit on the edges to hear each other even though the bar was empty. The reason the service is rated 4 stars instead of five is that the service in the bar was super slow. We were the only people there! Took forever to get our four drinks and then the tab while three waitresses were hanging out at the bar. The service downstairs was FABULOUS! Our waitress was fantastic. The chicken was crispy, yet moist. The rib eye was delicious. The fish I must say was a disappointment, overcooked with not a lot of flavor. Desserts were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dee111Dined on 8/28/2014We ate dinner here and it was great, we just moved into the Georgian and will be regular customers!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday boyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014We were celebrating a birthday with lunch and it was very good - with champagne. The salads were fresh and the cheeses were delicious. The dessert choices were not what we wanted for a birthday, but the fig sorbet was excellent - and a birthday treat. We visited the upstairs lounge and saw that the view was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique flavor combinations!VizartsVIPDined on 8/23/2014The plate was small but the flavor was big on the braised pigs ear....yum! A unique presentation to be sure. My braised oxtail was also packed with flavor but my husbands halibut...not so much. We also we're not impressed with the chocolate dessert...just ok & the fact that they didn't have cappuccino or espresso to go with it & the bar choices were limited which is disappointing since the vibe is great & we would've loved to hang after dinner.Special Features:
- LovefoodandwineDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant was just OK. The wine was not good at all--seemed very young. The decor and staff were excellent. The roasted chicken was smothered in some sauce covering the taste of chicken. It didn't taste bad, just not much chicken flavor. The fish choices were cooked well, but eh haddock had no real flavor.
- underwhelmedwannabechefDined on 8/23/2014I had heard good things about Element so I was excited to try it, unfortunately it left me underwhelmed. The food was good, but just that--nothing was spectacular or worth writing home about. The drinks were the same--good but nothing special. The service was friendly but a little rushed and invasive, not the nice relaxed atmosphere that you would like for a Saturday night dinner. Overall it was overpriced for the meal we got. I have had much better meals for less elsewhere.
- Worth going once.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The food was reasonably good but not extra special. The food was expensive. The service was reasonably good but not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandyDined on 8/22/2014Food is unique and delicious except for the bread-pudding ice cream.Special Features:
- Let's eat!SuppertimeDined on 8/22/2014Food was awesome but service needs to kick it up a notch. The veal was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time heresjg540Dined on 8/22/2014I went here for my birthday and it was a great experience. Both my wife and I really enjoyed the food and I especially loved the atmosphere and decor. My only complaint was that the menu on the website did not reflect what was on the actual menu. The chef switches things up, which is fine, but my wife was set on the filet, but they didn't have it anymore. Overall we would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but too noisyJoyceDelDined on 8/22/2014I should have looked at the menu before going, really wasn't interested in food like pig's ears on the menu. It would have been such a nicer dinner if the noise level was better. Sitting at a table right next to the open kitchen made it difficult to hear my table mates and the server describe the food. I loved the lounge and the outdoor spaces though and everyone was very nice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014Element has awesome space. Unfortunately the restaurant is letting it down. My wife and I went there for her birthday. We started at the bar before dinner for a drink. There were 2 bartenders and the bar 1/3 full. We had to wait at least 10 min to be served - at the bar. Not a hello or other greeting. Both bartenders seemed very unhappy. And we didn't get a check. Ultimately I put some cash down and assumed they would find us if needed. At dinner we ordered a bottle of wine. Turns out the wine menu was new and the server knew nothing about the wine. We ordered a white that, despite being on the menu, was not chilled. We waited half way through the meal for the wine. Food was mediocre. The waitress, at least, was great.
- Great PlacecaremoVIPDined on 8/21/2014Very interesting and tasty food. The bacon appetizer was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodDonGDined on 8/21/2014Interesting, no bread and no salt and pepper. Neither needed.Special Features:
- great mealCHRISDined on 8/21/2014great service and a great meal.I had meat and cheese tray with bbq ribs both were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing timeJillBFDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I celebrated our 2 year anniversary at Element. Neither one of us had been there before. I originally had found a voucher on Living Social for $60 worth of food and drinks for $30. The whole experience was more than I had expected! The building was beautiful inside and out! The staff were all very knowledgable and friendly. We we're served complimentary champagne which was extra special and unexpected! Wonderful and memorable !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014We loved everything. Food was full of flavor and eclectic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to deliverhowarc1Dined on 8/20/2014Great food is always consistent at Element. Eat in the lounge area for nice ambiance. Service was a bit slow, but ok. The roasted chicken was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ffooDined on 8/19/2014I love element. the food is amazing. service needs to be improved asap.Special Features:
- Dave1Dined on 8/16/2014Food and service was first rate. Decibel noise level high which is understandable given brick, mortar and steel. Menu change every 3 weeks a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceLishaVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food is really different but really good. We had the Pork Steak, the breads on special, and the Mushroom Tofu dish. Loved the patio too!Special Features:
- As good as I heard!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Element was as good as I had heard! We started in the 3rd floor bar on the patio and it was lovely. Smooth, helpful service, dynamic decor and last but definately not least, great, interesting food. The panna cotta with balsmic fig reduction and almond brittle was delectable!!! All around, a great evening.Special Features:
- Good & service were good view greatAddhawkinsDined on 8/7/2014The food and the service were good. Not the best food but up there with some of the restaurants I've been to in Saint Louis. Server did a fair job, she forgot a few things we asked her but otherwise had a pretty good knowledge of the food, wine, beer and cocktail lists. The outdoor patio is phenomenal. Maybe one of the best I've been too. The view is great the atmosphere outside is fantastic. I'll be going back there at least for drinks. A bit expensive but that's ok, you pay for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElsaDined on 8/5/2014The food was very good but the portions were small (expected) and offensively priced, i.e. the bacon small plate contained 3 small pieces of bacon and was $15. A vodka/basil cocktail was the size of a cordial and was $10. Will not return but would recommend to food-loving friends after advising of cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open kitchen was coolMoDawgDined on 8/2/2014We loved sitting by the kitchen and being able to see and hear what was going on. Great teamwork in there!Special Features:
- DisappointingambivalentVIPDined on 8/2/2014Our first time there was certainly more successful than our most recent visit. I was glad to see the dinner wasn't served on boards that allowed all the juices to drip off the sides. That and not a greatly stocked bar. Several drinks we asked for were not available. Okay, so we decided to go back. This time, two of us asked for vodka drinks. The pours could not have been skimpier. The server told us in a seemingly well rehearsed response, "We pour 1-1/2 ounces. That is a standard pour." OK, well, quit measuring and filling up the glass with ice! Than there was the undercooked veal chop and the lack of decaf coffee. The latter led to another rehearsed response about locally sourced organic coffee and it's not sold by supplier!Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014We ordered from the small plate menu and two desserts - everything was great! The sweet breads were amazing! Also, the cocktails were very good.Special Features: