43 East 20th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elannyc.com/
- Phone: (646) 682-7105
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11.30pm - 3.00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Brunch is available on Saturdays and Sundays: 11.00am - 3.00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from élan
élan is a new restaurant by Chef David Waltuck and George Stinson. The menu is the evolution of David Waltuck's groundbreaking cuisine that elevated and sustained Chanterelle as an award-winning restaurant for 30 years. élan emanates an atmosphere that is both sophisticated and full of energy; the service is gracious and smart, yet informal. The restaurant features a spacious front room for cocktails and light fare, a 12-seat bar, and a 44-seat dining room. Casual diners and those seeking more elaborate or special-occasion experiences will be equally welcome. Dinner is served 7 days a week, lunch is served 5 days a week, and David's take on weekend brunch is served Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
élan reviews from OpenTable diners
261 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (194)special occasion (101)neighborhood gem (98)hot spot (59)romantic (55)notable wine list (53)great for brunch (20)good for groups (18)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Just Doesn't Get Any Better...diniVIPDined on 11/18/2014Elan delights your senses from the moment you enter. The charming staff greet you with warmth and efficiency. The photos of Chuck Close enhance a decor designed to envelop you; and the food is simply sublime. My party of 6 was enraptured and we plan to return soon. From appetizers to dessert, everyone was enthralled. A particular favorite was the arctic char, the special on the evening we were there. In fact, fine dining doesn't get any better...just go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuMidcoastDinerVIPDined on 11/17/2014We were somewhat reluctant to go to Elan after reading a slightly off-putting review. But after we stopped by to see the place and find that there was nothing on the menu that we wouldn't enjoy, we booked a table. Nice crowd--we appreciate a crowd not monopolized by millennials--and nice wait staff--ditto. GIve it a try. Great variety in the food, all of which was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulM90272Dined on 11/14/2014I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant. Each dish was perfectly cooked and just lovely. The sea urchin guac was incredible. The service was wonderful and the staff were all extremely friendly and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having loved Chanterelle, we were disappointed.SpediniDined on 11/14/2014We found the décor too bland ... no color, everything neutral. Boring. The food was o.k. but I would have liked more main course choices at lunch time, since, when we go to many other "good" restaurants, you can get your main meal at lunch time. The sea urchin guacamole appetizer was totally ruined by too much hot pepper. Wine list was good, service was good, but we are not even tempted to try it for dinner.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/12/2014Avoiding dishes warned against by other reviewers, I had a superb meal, including Chef Waltuck's signature seafood sausage (as good as ever), a richly satisfying pork osso buco, and a uniquely flavored panna cotta made with gorgonzola (better without the grape jam served with it). Conveniently located and well worth return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!mhgpVIPDined on 11/10/2014Went here for my husband's birthday. Everything was just right - not too loud, not too quiet; not too fancy, not too plain. We ordered the foie gras pops, truffle croquette and sea urchin guacamole to share. Divine. Lamb chop was the best my husband has ever had (and he's had quite a few!). My grilled hanger steak was really good, but the oyster/oyster mushroom sauce was so fabulous, I was tempted to lick the plate. That good. Desserts were simple but just refined enough to close out the meal. We had a bottle of pinot noir for the whole dinner and it worked out nicely with all our menu choices. You will not be disappointed at elan. We will be returning, for sure.Special Features:
- keepemhonestDined on 11/9/2014the food was worthy of a 3 stars hotel. every dish was swimming in sauce.
- saulDined on 11/9/2014outstanding experience as fans of Chanterelle we were excited to have a great meal at Elan-we were not disappointedSpecial Features:
- Wasn't good.JwooosVIPDined on 11/8/2014Food was interesting but I don't need to go again. It wasn't addictively good. A little too contrived.
- Elan in the KitchenTonyVIPDined on 11/4/2014I am happy to see David Waltuck back in the kitchen after the closing of Chanterelle. This time the rich sauces are at a minimum and the attention is on grains, sauce au jus, and not sauce au butter and cream. Waltuck is now letting the food speak for itself and the result is not only a more healthy meal, but a more tasty one. My only complaint was the noise which seemed to bounce off the wall so that conversations a few tables away can be clearly heard. This clearly detracted from the elan at Elan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOtherOut55Dined on 11/4/2014Really enjoyed our dinner. Unique food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungarypoodleseriouscook1eDined on 11/2/2014Sweetbreads, seafood sausage but also the day's special--a duck and fois gras burger were memorable, also delicious at the time. Service was exceptional. On leaving I was already looking forward to my return. And smiling at my good luck for living in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Creative...MaitaDined on 11/1/2014great food, from creative menu, e.g., sea urchin guacamole...unique, subtle taste variation, still great for sharing. Nice place to dine, with good service in attractive setting.Special Features:
- excellent mealdrghVIPDined on 10/30/2014relaxed, cozy feel, but certainly an outstanding meal with a few surprises....the lamb dinner was beyond exceptional....best in the area by far.Special Features:
- Great new spotlawroo79VIPDined on 10/30/2014Elan pleasantly lived up to the 2 star review from the NY Times. Service was good, but not great. Our waiter forgot to bring out a fish dish that we had ordered to share as an entree, although it ended up being okay since we were actually full by that time. Food (we split the truffle croquettes, sweetbreads, and the duck) was properly prepared with classical touches. I would absolutely go back - to try the fish this time!!Special Features:
- Super!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/30/2014The food is inventive and crisp. Perfect emnu length...short enough for focused execution, long enough for a choice. Wait staff loose and participative. Very reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Menu too limited not enough optionserinappleDined on 10/30/2014By far the best thing we ordered was the sea urchin guacamole. Our entrees were rather uninspired. The room is cute and bar area is cute I just wish there were more interesting choices on the menu.
- MediocreabracadabaVIPDined on 10/30/2014I loved the restaurant's setting but the food was so middling. And the lunch menu is rather schizophrenic ... At these prices I would have expected far better execution.
- Just a wonder dining experienceb2nycDined on 10/29/2014First visit for me. Great service, really knowledgeable about the food preparation. Excellent wine list from $45 bottle of French Rhone to $700 bottle exotics. Inventive menu...really wonderful food. You can tell right away that this is a professional kitchen staff. As a food enthusiast I try out a lot of new spots, but while the menu looks inventive and engaging they often fall short on the delivery. Not at Elan. Each and every step of the way was pretty darn perfect. Also, I liked that fellow dinners were dressed from Jacket and Ties, to Jeans and Button Downs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceJustineVIPDined on 10/29/2014I went with a date and we truly had a wonderful time. The main courses, striped bass and the burger special WERE THE BEST! The Seafood sausage was good but not amazing and the truffle croquets were good - but fried, so nothing special. The chocoalte sorbet was AMAZINGGGGG!! Oustanding service among the staff and became great friends with the people next to us!Special Features:
- Elan needs elanCaroleVIPDined on 10/27/2014It was a fair meal but the expectation was for much more. The dishes we had were imaginative but not entirely successful. I feel this was still a starter meal and things might improve but I would have to be convinced of that before I paid the relatively hefty prices for a relatively not great meal. Our expectations were high. Our disappointment was too.
- One of the bestJoeADined on 10/26/2014An utterly unique menu in which every dish is even better than what you expected. The atmosphere is at a perfect pitch of both liveliness and low volume.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceBesHTCDined on 10/26/2014We went early before the theater. The dining room was very nice, food was exceptional, and service was great. Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Great time at ElanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014This is a perfect restaurant for anyone who wants to white cloth dining in a quaint NYC neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Food was good, but the service (waitress) extraordinary -- her friendliness and efficiency made our lunch so delightful!Special Features:
- Holy Foie Gras?!?!LizTDined on 10/24/2014FANTASTIC FOOD, for any NYC foodie looking for good eats. Went for dinner with my girlfriends, made a reservation for Friday evening after work and the restaurant was quite busy. We indulged in the Foie Gras Pop, Oysters, Uni Guacamole, Butternut squash ravioli with ragu, and the Duck/ Foie Gras burger for dinner. ALL INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS! The service was equally outstanding, they had a great wine and cocktail selection as well. Definitely recommend trying this place!Special Features:
- disappointingbobdDined on 10/20/2014Despite the Times review and stars I found the food merely good and the sauces a bit too spicy. Our server failed to inform us about a special which I later overheard another server mention.
- Tranquil and friendly, AMAZING foodpbillDined on 10/20/2014Went here with my husband for a special treat. Top notch service, warm and engaging and thoroughly professional staff. Dining room is beautiful and tranquil. Cocktails were OK but not great. Wine was good. Amuse bouche and truffles with the check were thoughtful touches. The pickled vegetables were a creative and delicious invention. The standouts for the evening were the seafood sausage in a velvety, tart sauce (heaven on a plate) and the Gorgonzola dolce panna cotta with concord grapes. Lots of creative and daring small plates to choose from. The shredded Brussels sprouts were inedibly salty and had to be sent back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Follow NYT reviewFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014Tea smoked salmon, fish sausage, special fish terrine and lamb all excellent. Nice enough atmosphere for kind of blah space. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Better than NY Mag reviewlkn4foodVIPDined on 10/18/2014Came for lunch. Had the seafood sausage, a vegetable salad an omelet with tea smoked salmon. The service was attentive, the food was superior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014It gave us what we wanted. We plan to return, especially to enjoy the sweetbreads.Special Features:
- BJNNYCDined on 10/17/2014This is not the glorious Chanterelle. And that is too bad for all who loved it. There were hints of Waltuck's genius, but lacking the passion and perfection of things done at Chanterelle. This is a smaller restaurant in all respects but given some time could improve , however right now it is a disappointment.
- Great foodFoodieCoupleDined on 10/12/2014The food was excellent and the prices extremely decent for the quality. Service was not terrible but definitely room for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh SO disappointingLLSRVIPDined on 10/11/2014Even had we not gone with high expectations, we would have been sorely disappointed by the hapless (and sometimes dismissive/rude) service, or lack thereof, overly complicated dishes that simply didn't work, oddly compiled (albeit reasonably priced) wine list, and extraordinarily long/slow experience. In fact, the extremely slow cadence and excessively long time (about 3.5 hours) were the only things that élan shares with the wonderful and sorely missed Chanterelle. It's impossible to list all the problems here, but one example: my water glass sat empty for 20 minutes (I timed it) despite our overt efforts to wave down the man whose sole purpose was to pour water and asking our main waiter to bring water, which he did only much later.
- YumLuv2dine92Dined on 10/11/2014Delicous food great service, amazing brunch! Service was amazing too, very attentive. The pancakes were heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An "in" restaurant.love2eatDined on 10/9/2014The restaurant seems to like doing new preparations to the extreme.Special Features:
- Most amazing new restaurant in townOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/8/2014Must try foi gras pops, sea urchin guacamole and their salmon!Special Features:
- Not pleasedRickDined on 10/7/2014Food was bland and not very tasty, service was slow and the noise was at the unpleasant level.
- Interesting but won't be returningOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/4/2014My friend and I visited élan on a Saturday evening. Our server was good. The food itself wasn't up to par. Having heard many mixed reviews about their menu we decided to try their foie gras pops (fig in center of foie rolled in pistachio) the flavors were too confusing and not well balance, too much fig in mine and the foie didn't stand out. The uni guacamole was good, interesting flavor mix and taro chips were nice and crunchy. The truffle croquettes weren't bad either but nothing to write home about. I had duck breast as my main and this was the least favorite dish of the night. Bland and uninspired, it left me with a high bill but no satisfaction. The interior of te restaurant is nice and modern.
- LabuenavidaDined on 9/29/2014The space was gorgeous; the food underwhelming. The best and most interesting part of the meal was the crisp and light poema albarinho from Portugal.