1634 Tower Grove Ave
Saint Louis, MO 63110Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.elaiastl.com/
- Phone: 3149321088
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Ben Poremba
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Both Olio and Elaia catering available. Buffet-style or passed hor d'oeuvres.
- Private Party Facilities: Private room attached to our wine cellar that seats 10-12. Elaia or Olio menu available.
- Private Party Contact: Kara Flaherty 3149321088x
A word from Elaia
Our menu changes nightly and offers a la carte as well as four-course or ten-course tasting menus. Enjoy tastes from the "Middleterranean" with wine pairing from around the world chosen by our own Sommelier, Andrey Ivanov.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Elaia - Best Restaurants in St. Louis ›
Elaia reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)special occasion (55)notable wine list (50)romantic (49)neighborhood gem (26)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- Great find on our short tripDrAnnieDined on 10/18/2014We were fortunate to find such a lovely oasis. What a fun, unpretentious location! The staff was impeccable; attentive but not pushy, friendly and engaging without being obnoxious. The sommelier helped us select a great red to pair with our fairly light seafood-oriented selections. We were congratulated on our special occasion by nearly every member of the staff - amazing! The food was fantastic! We will return when we are back in St. Louis!Special Features:
- Amazing PlaceSpecialDined on 10/11/2014Great food, amazing wines and superb service. This place is a must try for any foodie in St. Louis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Food & ServiceRisaEatsDined on 10/4/2014We made reservations for dinner for our first anniversary. Originally, we were only able to get reservations for 9:30 pm, but I included a note asking for an earlier reservation if one was available. I was pleasantly surprised when they called to offer us an 8:30 pm spot. The experience was wonderful. We were able to have amazing cocktails in the downstairs restaurant (Olio) while we waited for our table. The atmosphere in Elaia is dark and cozy. The food was impeccable and unique. We opted to do the wine pairings (a first-time experience for both of us), and we were not disappointed. The service was very friendly, but not overly formal (which is always a downside to me). We would love to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food & Wine PairingsWirbndrVIPDined on 10/3/2014Andrey is the sommelier and no matter what you order, he finds a wine that matches it perfectly. I highly recommend allowing him to pair the wines for you rather that ordering a bottle on your own. Each dish is carefully crafted from unique and fresh ingredients. The best part of the evening is listening to the 3-4 minute description Andrey gives for each of the wines and why it might go well with the particular dish you ordered. It's pretty fun to listen to, especially if the table is getting 4 different dishes, thus 4 different wines are poured. The bar scene is great and the cocktails poured are upscale and gourmet. I highly recommend trying this restaurant!Special Features:
- Absolutely Excellent FoodGoodDinnerClubVIPDined on 9/26/2014Everything I had was well-prepared. I absolutely lived the whitefish croquettes. The black garlic purée created exactly the right mix to appeal to someone that doesn't even like fish. So delicious I ordered another. The butter with preserved lemon was outstanding. I am a lemon lover but I heard others raving about it. The bread was moist and delicious. Those who tried it really liked the pumpernickel stout and the sesame oil white was definitely delicious. I would have liked the duck if it had more of a sauce. I probably should have asked for some lemon and black garlic purée. I will be back for certain. I really loved how they announced each course as it arrived but it really caused the dinner to drag on. Waittress not so greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoreneDined on 9/20/2014The chef's tasting was top notch! Every course was excellent. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014My sister and I went for a girls night out and had an amazing experience. We were blown away by the food, the attention to detail and the service. We were dressed up and felt right at home in this chic small restaurant. There were so many architectural and decor elements to marvel over that we started the evening feeling transported out of St. Louis to another world. Then when the food arrived every course brought wonderful surprises without being too overdone. I absolutely recommend the wine pairing it was so much fun to hear about each wine and where they came from. The wines accented the melange of flavors from the dishes. I highly recommend this restaurant and will be back as soon as possible.Special Features:
- Total let down.NopeDined on 9/20/2014We were really excited to finally try this place. Ten courses was unnecessary. Courses 6-9 are basically the same course with a different protein. And don't waste the money in the $100 pairing. Unless you are ok with a quarter bottle of wine for $100. Weak pours and ok wine. This was a total let down. Spend a hundred less at Niche and be ten times happier. We won't be returning.Special Features:
- Great food pairingsPorscheDined on 9/12/2014My wife had been begging to go to this restaurant for a while, so I took her for her birthday last week. Upon arriving it was a bit confusing as to where to enter this restaurant, which is connected to Olio, another bar/restaurant. At our designated reservation time we were whisked upstairs to the restaurant, which was quite a change from the area where we walked in. The dining room is not large and was fairly dark. The first person to greet us at the table was Andrey Ivanov, the sommelier. Throughout the night, it was him who commanded this restaurant and made the overall dining experience excellent. There was some concern on my part that the portions would be very small and not enough food - this was certainly not the case.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Recently visited Elaia for the first time for my wife's birthday. The restaurant is terrific. We chose the fixe prix 4 course menu with wine pairing. The food was excellent without exception. The service was very professional and attentive without being overbearing. The sommelier was very helpful and interesting as he described each wine selection. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and look forward to visiting Elaia again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience for fine diningKatieDDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I had Elaia recommended to us several times for a romantic date. We decided to try it out for our first time for our 2nd wedding anniversary. I made a note in my Open Table reservation letting them know our special occasion. When Elaia called to confirm our reservations, they asked for both of our names. I thought that was interesting and when we got to the restaurant, we were pleasantly surprised. First, every member of the staff greeted us and wished us a happy anniversary. Next, our menus were personalized at the top with "Happy 2nd Anniversary, Shane and Katie." Lastly, when our desserts came out the words "Happy" were on my plate and "Anniversary" on my husband's. Those special touches made our celebration top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must!Macca1VIPDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful experience. Great food, inventive, playful presentation and fantastic service. Our server, Ann, was OUTSTANDING!!!!!Special Features:
- Hurry to ElaiaLuvAGoodMealDined on 8/29/2014It was a truly wonderful experience. The service was great and the food was fabulous. Definitely worth every penny. Would highly recommend to anyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great on levels depending upon ....LeceDined on 8/27/2014Two tops are somewhat close, but if you have a respectful couple next to you - no problem. It's a toss up! I've been there on two (special) occasions now, and once could not hear other's conversation and then another time, it was almost intrusive. Guests: this is not a first date ~ try and show off establishment. Speaking and laughing loudly in this place is not appreciated - it's not about YOU! Sense the flavors of expanse medeteranian flora and faun. Capture unbefore known senses of smell and taste. This place is an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somm-tasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Andrey Ivanov is an aspiring Master Sommelier. Enjoy a rare treat and request his table to hear him share tales of Mediterranean wines and wineries, a transporting experience.Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were excited to try Elaia for our anniversary. It was our first time at the restaurant. Unfortunately, we were disappointed with the entire evening. The portions were small, the menu was very limited and extremely overpriced. The restaurant was uncomfortably warm. We will NOT be going back.Special Features:
- the art of foodPawPawSlimDined on 8/22/2014I would have to say that the coolest thing about our four-person dinner Friday night was having everything on the menu brought to the table and then tasting everything, after admiring the appearance of the dishes. Our server was really great and that added to it. The burnt eggplant "pudding" accompanying the lamb tartare was magnificent; I wish I had a big jar of it in my fridge! We all had a nice time and enjoyed the creativity of the dishes. This was well worth the drive over from Edwardsville/Glen Carbon.Special Features:
- A true culinary delight!MissWhitneyDined on 8/14/2014Just go...I promise you won't regret it. I have so many wonderful things to say about Elaia, but there isn't enough room here for me to go into the detail that I would like to share. An incredible dining experience overall, from start to finish. Bravo, Elaia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch out, Niche!30SomethingFoodSnobVIPDined on 8/9/2014Elaia has ascended to the top spot in the St Louis dining scene. The service is impeccable and informative, and the menu is just fantastic. Wines are thoughtfully paired with each course, and a pre or post-dinner drink at Olio makes the night complete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed the 10 course tasting menu with wine pairings. We have done the tasting menu at many restaurants and Elaia was exceptional! The food was excellent and the wine pairings were great and we learned a lot of history about where each wine came from. Andrey and the rest of the staff took great care to make sure everything whet smoothly. It was hard to believe that we were actually eating for 3 hours. The time just flew. Chef Ben made a point of checking on each table and bringing dishes to the table. It made for a very home like atmosphere.Special Features:
- Best service ever.MadreDined on 8/8/2014This was truly the best service I have ever experienced at any restaurant which includes several 5 star restaurants.Special Features:
- 10 course tasting!AnneVIPDined on 8/7/2014We did the 10 course tasting with wine pairings and it was amazing! wines from ten countries around the Mediterranean that changed when you paired them with the food to taste even better. Andrey is so knowledgeable that he makes your dining experience all the better, telling stories about where each wine comes from and why it tastes the way it does An incredibly memorable evening.Special Features:
- FantasticDaveMDined on 8/2/2014Among the top tier of restaurants. One of the best meals I've had anywhere.Special Features:
- Birthday SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Took my husband there for his birthday. I did the wine pairing with the 4 courses which was so amazing. I would recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every respectUACatsDined on 7/30/2014It's easy to see why Elaia/Olio is attracting raves not just locally but nationally. Incredible space. The bar portion (Olio) has phenomenal cocktails (I recommend the Scofflaw) and one-of-a kind ambiance. Ample seating outdoors, but we enjoyed the bar. Staff was knowledgable & friendly. Elaia, is in a converted 19th century house connected by a modern walkway with Olio. Seating is very limited, so make a reservation. The menu featured four possible courses and we ordered the complete meal. Everything was top-of-the-line. Our server (Amy) was wonderful. Humorous, knowledgable, attentive (but not too attentive). Just the right amount of background noise. Phenomenal food. Can't rate it more highly. Don't miss this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not enjoy the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Food was expensive, small portions and nothing to talk aboutSpecial Features:
- happydinerDined on 7/26/2014Elaia was a food experience that my friend and I will not soon forget. The service was great because the server provided good info on the food and the wine pairing. Not a place that I could afford to frequent, but an occasional visit is something I can anticipate. Clearly it is not a place for everyone because of the cost, but a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service and overrated foodRotrypwrDined on 7/25/2014My girlfriend and I went to Elaia and I was utterly shocked at the poor service we received. The waitress took 30 minutes just to take our initial drink order, I timed this on my watch so it is not an exaggeration. This happened when it was not busy, we had reservations, and our waitress passed our table back and forth at least 8 times within that 30 minutes. For the price they charge here I expect excellent service. It's sad when a place like Applebees (which is the last place I would take a date to dinner) would blow this place out of the water when it comes to service. The food was good, but not great, save your time and money, there are much better places out there to visit than Elaia.
- TommVIPDined on 7/12/2014Elaia could be St. Louis' best restaurant...if only it reached it's full potential. The atmosphere is lovely, the details shine, the menu is adventurous yet simple. And the history lesson with each glass of wine is a nice extra touch. But the service needs to improve, and quickly, if this restaurant wants to survive. Part and parcel of that: ask customers their temperature preference; don't error on the side of overcooked entrees. By and large, this place has the potential to be big and to last. The flavor choices were particularly impressive. But it needs to focus more on the basics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit, but not LastDaveMVIPDined on 7/12/2014Amazing! The "prix fixe" four course meal with wine pairings for the first three courses was as good as it gets. Our servers, bussers, and sommeliers were attentive, knowledgable, and friendly without being intrusive. Perfect for a birthday, anniversary, or special event. My only regret was no wine pairing for the dessert course. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was of high quality but...noneDined on 7/11/2014The food was of high quality but expensive and missing that little something extra. Service was excellent and the wine was some of the best I have had at any restaurant but the food was just not that good. I mean it was good, but not that good. Not good enough, especially at the price point.Special Features:
- amazing food, amazing hostOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/9/2014I would travel back to St. Louis to go to this place. One of the best restaurants, bar none, I've been to in a whileSpecial Features:
- Excellent food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014One of the best restaurants in St. Louis. A little bit on the pricey side, but food was very fresh, flavorful, and beautifully created.Special Features:
- Anniversary Hot SpotArgueSTLDined on 7/3/2014Went to Elaia for our anniversary, and had a wonderful experience. We had already been to Olio several times, but this was our first experience with Elaia. The restaurant is quaint and intimate, the staff was knowledgeable about both the menu and wine. We went with the four course prix fixe, and the meal really delivered both in the beautiful plating and the flavor. The highlight for me was the smore's chouquette, a beautiful flaky pastry filled with chocolate and marshmallow, yum, and perfect end to the meal! For your next special or romantic occasion, I would recommend Elaia.Special Features:
- Elaia is a rare treatBobcat1963Dined on 7/3/2014While many say that Chicago is a "foodie" paradise, St. Louis has many wonderful chefs that are plating excellent and creative selections for food lovers. None is better than Elaia. The care taken with each dish, and combinations of flavors, were beyond compare. We chose the ala carte 4 course menu with wine pairings, and loved the creative wine selections (from places such as Slovenia and Morocco as well as France and Italy). Sweetbreads, lamb loin and beef courses were cooked perfectly, as was the sea scallop poached in a frothy corn and black rice broth. Perhaps the highlights of the evening were the mousse and pate, served with various fruits and herbs including passion fruit beads, plum sauce, and fresh cherries. Dessert a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 56 reviews are from the Elaia reviews archive.
- ImpressiveserfmumDined on 6/25/2014We had the tasting menu, and it was impressive. We live in Europe and have dined in fine dining establishments all over Europe and major cities of the U.S., and we weren't expecting to find food of this calibre in St. Louis. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Class Dining ExperienceThemisDined on 6/25/2014The service was excellent, the food was excellent, the presentation was excellent, the wine choices were unique and extensive. Elaia is the place for a special evening with your significant other or an intimate meal with another couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great new pairingsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014new flavors and pairings never tired before, good wine pairings too. enjoyed every course. portions a little on the small side, and overall rather expensive, but still goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great from start to finishjdteethVIPDined on 6/18/2014This is one of my favorite places. You will find choices here like no other in St. Louis. This is a place that any foodie will enjoy. Outstanding wine list with unique options from countries you would never connect with fine wines. Each course of the meal was perfect. If someone asks me for my favorite place in St Louis...Elaia gets my vote.Special Features:
- Excellent All AroundnapavalleydinerDined on 6/13/2014Having grown up in St. Louis then moving away to California over 20 years ago and living in the food mecca town of Yountville, my husband and I were thrilled and somewhat surprised with Elaia. This restaurant can go head to head with any of the top names in the Napa Valley. Kudos to Ben and his staff for an amazing, wonderful meal, excellent presentation, and an outstanding sommelier! Best wishes for continued success. It was a pleasure that I hope we can return to in the future when we visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.