El Vitral Restaurant
815 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
El Vitral Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.elvitralrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192369420
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11am - 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Norma Martinez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from El Vitral Restaurant
El Vitral Restaurant and Tequila Lounge: a step outside the ordinary. The fusion of Mexican traditional cuisine with the innovation of modern techniques will take you through an extravaganza of rich flavors, exceptional service and a sophisticated ambiance. For your upcoming holiday events or celebrations we ask you to consider El Vitral.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Vitral Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- The bleu cheese and baconmitchellDined on 11/17/2012The bleu cheese and bacon guacamole was fantastic and the margaritas were great!Special Features:
- Came here on a week nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/7/2012Came here on a week night and at 7 pm it was almost empty. Didn't faze me as we came here following a recommendation from friend. They make mean margaritas and the duck tacos were the best thing that we had from the menu. Deeeelicious.Special Features:
- Great food great service,TimeDrfterDined on 10/23/2012Great food great service, but expected more from there boost of 150+ bottles of tequilas every one of the tequilas I asked for they didn’t have and no lists available for review. They did have flights you could vertical or horizontal but they would choose what to taste.Special Features:
- Excellent!LaurenDined on 10/18/2012We had an excellent experience at El Vitral. Our server was very nice and helpful when giving recommendations. The ceviche and guacamole appetizers were outstanding, the drinks were excellent, and our entrees were very thoughtfully prepared. While not in the main tourist area of the downtown area, the restaurant is right next to the ballpark and was an easy walk from our hotel by the convention center. Overall a great experience and I would highly recommend it to friends and family.Special Features:
- Great margarita's, great food.TheStewardVIPDined on 10/8/2012Great margarita's, great food. Interesting and inventive dishes. It was difficult to decide what we wanted and we were not disappointed.Special Features:
- The margaritas are superb,brunchloverVIPDined on 9/21/2012The margaritas are superb, the flavors are muted yet still noticeable. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- The food was healthfully prepared.CathieVIPDined on 9/15/2012The food was healthfully prepared. Great view of Petco Park! One negative .... they charged the same price for a virgin cocktail as they do for an alcoholic cocktail. When questioned, the waitress gave a long spiel that didn't make much sense!Special Features:
- Delicious, thoughtfully preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/3/2012Delicious, thoughtfully prepared out-of-the-ordinary Mexican fare. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Definite RecommendKevinCVIPDined on 9/1/2012We live a couple blocks away and El Vitral is a great place to go for drinks and dinner. Staff is very attentive and we got an opportunity to meet the new Executive Chef who was very charming and gracious.Special Features:
- The food is excellent - wonderful2dinersVIPDined on 9/1/2012The food is excellent - wonderful flavors and unique dishes. But the music is VERY loud.
- The Happy Hour is good forMMMMMVIPDined on 8/10/2012The Happy Hour is good for drinks & food, but the service for the patrons that were in the bar area but not at the actual bar itself was abysmal. The waitress in the bar area pretty well ignored everyone, and just mingled with her male coworkers as though no one was there. The bar waitress was derelict in her duties, however the dinner waitress was spot-on and did very well. I would have rated the overall service as "Poor", however due to the quality service delivered by the dinner waitress I rated the service as "Fair". If you're not going to the bar, the dinner service is "Very Good", and the tacos, rice & beans are "Very Good" as well. I would have sent the waitress home...
- We had a reservation at 2:45OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/4/2012We had a reservation at 2:45 for 5 but the menu offered at this time was limited and they refused to offer us the dinner menu . Service was so slow, and we left the restaurant to eat somewhere else .This restaurant used to be open all day with wonderful food , I think management changed , and also the chef left .It will be my last time to go ....
- As always brunch rules! GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2012As always brunch rules! Great Eggs Benedict ever. Sad they now charge for rice and beans on all meals, but the food is excellent, the chips thin and flavorable, salsa outstanding. Eating outdoors was perfect on a beautiful sunny SD day. Our fav!Special Features:
- By the Ball ParkLaventuresDined on 8/3/2012We had a wonderful experience prior to the Padres game. The food and drinks were first rate.Special Features:
- Once we were seated the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2012Once we were seated the service was excellent and the food delicious.Special Features:
- Just as the other reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/21/2012Just as the other reviews have suggested, the food was good but the service was lacking. We arrived early for our dinner reservation and there were only two or three other tables with guests, so we could not even provide the benefit of the doubt that they were super busy. The best guess for why the service was subpar was that it might have been the change of shift or someone did not show up for their shift on a Saturday night. Not sure we would ever go back.
- The location is very coolOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2012The location is very cool - we sat on the patio looking at Petco Park. The margaritas were so fresh and delicious. The cucumber margarita was spicy and refreshing. All the food was delicious. The service was rather slow but overall it was a great dining experience and we look forward to going back!Special Features:
- great food, but the websiteDanaVIPDined on 6/30/2012great food, but the website isn't accurate about their happy hour (which is only m-f and not everyday) and the management is a mess. our waitress was lovely and very helpful, and the manager gave us 25% off our bill because of their goof with the website, but i wouldn't go running back until the management was better.Special Features:
- Great place!PDXdinerDined on 6/22/2012Right on the fenceline of Petco field, patio overlooks the crowds and the energy of the game adds a fun element, without detracting from great food, service and ambiance. This is a fun and delicious place!Special Features:
- El Vitral - Will not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/16/2012An article in Sunset magazine brought us to El Vitral for lunch while visiting in San Diego. The location of the restaurant is right next to the downtown ball park so location is terrific to walk around East Village, Gaslamp, marina areas. But the food and service for us on this visit was not as expected. It is a vibrant Mexican restaurant where our chips were stale, the ceviche was over cooked and the guacamole was not flavorful. The service, we were 1 of 4 tables on the patio with 3 servers and ours seemed to be more interested in talking with the young women patrons than providing us service. We had to ask several times for the same item and the food and drink delivery was slow. It might have just been a bad day,but we won't return
- The $6 10Pm -12 PM jappy hoursdman92101VIPDined on 6/9/2012The $6 10Pm -12 PM jappy hour for Apps and Drinks was fantastic. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Wonderful service at the barOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/7/2012Wonderful service at the bar with drink ideas and food ideas. Everything is delicious and the restaurant is located practically attached to where the Padres play. Great view out back, fabulous decor. Good choice.Special Features:
- The duck enchiladas, although1happybellyVIPDined on 5/29/2012The duck enchiladas, although best dish on the menu since El Vitral opened, is still over the top wonderful. Try a Green-GO margarita and be prepared for it's bite, delicious, refreshing, wowie!!!Special Features:
- Service and the food was great.MissyandbradyDined on 5/14/2012Service and the food was great. Having an unobstructed view of Petco Park was awesome. My family and I celebrated our son's master's degree graduation and had a blast!Special Features:
- Right up against petco park...youOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2012Right up against petco park...you can see the outfield from your table! A great margarita selection. I had the traditional one and it was excellent! The food is not traditional Mexican so don't expect tacos from Old Town.Special Features:
- Loved it because their foodsuzzzzzzzzzDined on 5/5/2012Loved it because their food is different and delicious. A great spot!Special Features:
- Enjoyed the downtown vibePLhappyVIPDined on 5/5/2012Enjoyed the downtown vibe with the ballpark right there. Nice twist on the upscaled Mexican food in a contemporary environment. I would suggest bringing a sweater or a jacket to sit outside in the evening as the inside was a bit too loud for us. Enjoyed it very much though.Special Features:
- Our food was amazing! DownerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2012Our food was amazing! Downer was that the waiter basically called my husband a girl for not finishing his dinner...and then was so busy laughing and talking with other servers that he didnt bring us our bill until 25 minutes after we finished our meal..and our water was empty.....Special Features:
- AVOID!gonzoVIPDined on 4/24/2012I've had better food at Lolitas - a taco shop just on the other side of the ballpark. And it would have been a 1/3 of the cost. It's an overpriced tourist trap. I took my Dad here for his birthday and I was so embarassed. I mean $18 for enchiladas (which were 4 rolled tacos trying to be enchiladas) and they don't come with beans and rice? AVOID!
- Always a great place to eat.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/22/2012Always a great place to eat. Super view of the Padre's stadium. Great tequila selection. Food outstanding.Special Features:
- Looking into PETCO park, homeOKCfoodiesVIPDined on 4/1/2012Looking into PETCO park, home of the San Diego Padres, it's a great place to dine.Special Features:
- Great margaritas! The margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/19/2012Great margaritas! The margaritas are homemade without any sweet-n-sour mixers.
- A wonderful menu to explore2dinersVIPDined on 3/10/2012A wonderful menu to explore - great tastes and beautiful presentationsSpecial Features:
- Food was fabulous, modernBerryDined on 2/29/2012Food was fabulous, modern Mexican Service was attentive and helpfulSpecial Features:
- Waitress was very good,BarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Waitress was very good,Bar slow but o.k,kitchen slow but o.k.Special Features:
- Was one of my favorite restaurantsLrichDined on 2/14/2012I was excited to eat at one of my favorite restaurants for Valentine's Day, but was highly disappointed with the overall quality of service and food. Unfortunately this review space only allows for 750 characters, and I would need to go way beyond that to clearly express all the short comings El Vitral had last night.
- Hooked!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012First time going to this restaurant was on Valentines Day and what a wonderful experience we had! The food was absolutely amazing, and when we tasted the food, I could taste the same ingredients that my grandma would use when she cooked. What a wonderful restaurant. One thing I would suggest, instead of the American music that's playing in the background, it would fit the mood better if some Latin jazz or old trio music was playing instead.Special Features:
- Great overall experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2012Great overall experience! !! I will comeback and recommend 4 sure ...Special Features:
- O.K., but not a good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/5/2012We went on SuperBowl Sunday, and even though they have a bar and TV, it was empty. They seem to have trouble knowing what they want to be - cloth napkins on the table, pretty pricey food, but didn't even offer a glass with the bottle of beer. The service was friendly, and I'm sure would have brought one, but still... I was very disappointed with the vegetarian enchiladas. Expensive, way too big, and didn't even taste that good. I would rather have had half the quantity at a lower price (and of course, would like it to taste more interesting). The Ceviche Natural was good. My companion's meat dish was o.k., but again didn't really meet the expectation for the price.
- Loved the service!! Attentive,Chicagogirl92VIPDined on 2/4/2012Loved the service!! Attentive, knowledgeable and pleasant! Margaritas were outstanding. Had the halibut - wonderful! Husband had the fish tacos - loved them! Shrimp ceviche and salsa selection were great! Will definitely go back!Special Features: