121 South 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elvezrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 928-9800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: David LaForce
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
A word from El Vez
A contemporary Mexican restaurant, El Vez offers many unique items such as mahi mahi tacos, ahi tuna tostadas, carne asada and pasilla braised pork pozole. Enjoy their made-to-order guacamole & margaritas with fresh-squeezed juices. Top off your meal with "The El Vez," a flourless chocolate cake, peanut butter mousse and carmelized bananas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
El Vez - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
El Vez reviews from OpenTable diners
320 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (201)good for groups (179)vibrant bar scene (167)fit for foodies (162)neighborhood gem (111)special occasion (92)great for lunch (82)great for outdoor dining (62)late-night find (58)romantic (33)great for brunch (28)kid-friendly (21)scenic view (8)notable wine list (6)Show More
- LizzieDined on 11/25/2014Came here for drinks and dessert. The margaritas were great, the desserts were delicious and service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but too loud musicSilverQueenVIPDined on 11/24/2014Interesting and tasty food. But too difficult to have a conversation with friends. I would not recommend it unless you don't care about talking.
- Another great dinner at El VezAndyGDined on 11/23/2014My wife and I had a great dinner on Sunday night at El Vez. The guacamole was excellent, my braised and shredded oxtail was just spicy enough and the plantains were perfectly cooked. We'll definitely be back again, especially since there are a bunch of other house made guacs that we have to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE!msarDined on 11/22/2014Favorite restaurant. Food is great and so are the margaritas! Gets a little crowded so be sure to make reservations WAY in advance, especially if you're going on a weekend night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come for the margaritas, stay for the guacamoleHez918Dined on 11/22/2014Went on a date here and had a great time. We made our reservation on OpenTable and didn't wait at all to be seated, even though there was a 30-40 minute wait for walk-ins. Everything we ordered was delicious, but the Frozen Blood Orange Margarita and the classic "El Vez" guacamole were definitely the highlights of the meal. I wouldn't recommend this place for a quiet, "romantic" evening, but it's definitely top of the list if you're looking for something fun and different!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeGMenDined on 11/20/2014Great food great drinks the waiter was patient waiting for the rest of our group to arrive. Just fun and vibrant place to meet with friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeMikeWDined on 11/13/2014Took daughter here for her birthday. It was very busy and vibrant for a Thursday night. Food was good as were the drinks. Service was excellent. I recommend reservations if you want to sit at a table for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!TarheelDined on 11/12/2014Reservations are a MUST! We were seated right away, ordered Perfecto Margaritas and EL VEZ original guacamole..both were excellent...I had tortilla soup and grilled beef tacos. My friend ordered carne asada...it was all perfectly prepared. Our server was great! My friend forgot her reading glasses and our server brought her a pair to use....checked on us and made sure we had everything we needed...it was noisy but not so much that we couldn't talk...I'll definitely go back the next time I am in Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, hip Mexican spotRatherbesomewhereelseVIPDined on 11/10/2014We enjoyed the lively environment amongst this attractive crowd. Delicious guacamole and amazing nachos! Tacos for two are more like tacos for three and were very tasty. The Mexican chopped salad was a little boring but the drinks were tasty. And the photo booth is fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip Mexican spotTODinerVIPDined on 11/9/2014Great spot. Good authentic Mexican food in a hip setting. Guacamole was outstanding as were the sea bass tacos. Service was great up until the amin course after which he kind of forgot about us. Good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in PhillyMikeSchlerDined on 11/9/2014fantastic location, awesome food and service. Always againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchAdubbsDined on 11/9/2014We have been to El Vez and love the guacamole and margaritas. We decided to try it for brunch and we loved it! Everything was delicious! We had blood orange mimosas. Also, the full menu is available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHappyeatingDined on 11/9/2014I am a big Stephen Starr fan, so I was very excited to try El Vez. When we arrived, I was even more excited: the restaurant decor and ambiance is bright, colorful, festive and comfortable. Unfortunately, the food did not live up to Starr's other places. A chorizo omelet was small, dry, and the chorizo crumbles were tasteless and kept rolling out of the omelet and off the fork. The accompanying deep fried potatoes were greasy, although they may have tasted better if I had come in with a hangover. The shrimp enchiladas were tasty, but the verde sauce was the consistency of thick, grainy paste. Manchego queso and salsa merely average. I had hoped for more from Mr. Starr.
- amazing food & drinks!KennyDined on 11/8/2014Was visiting Philly for the first time and El Vez was recommended by a friend. GREAT mexican food! Reasonable pricing and the margaritas were fabulous! Photo booth is also a great idea and loved having the option to take pictures there! Definitely make a reservation - the wasit was 2+ hours for people who hadn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014We enjoyed everything from drinks to dinner! Everything was delicious and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- ExperienceexperienceDined on 11/8/2014We had a great dinner. Food was excellent as was serviceSpecial Features:
- AwesomeGrana14VIPDined on 11/8/2014So delicious! Everything here is so well prepared and fresh, from apps to entrees and desserts. The service is fantastic! I would say make sure you get nachos, Guac,any of the tacos, grilled corn and churros yummm.. The restaurant itself is very vibrant and colorful and always busy so make reservations early! We will be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VickyDined on 11/7/2014Not a good place to bring your kids. We went there for dinner and unfortunately I made the wrong choice. The food are horrible. The only good side of was the drinks. They make it really strong so that you won't complain that much.Special Features:
- Noise was off the chartsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014While the food was interesting, nicely presented and flavorful, we felt the one detractor was the extreme noise level which greatly detracted from the overall amiable. Still, worth the effort to finally get a reservation after numerous attempts.
- MargaritasSamiVIPDined on 11/5/2014The tacos were fabulous, the beef and shrimp were the best. I don't even like shrimp. The margaritas are great and the ambiance is fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ServiceAllisonDined on 11/3/2014My server (the check said his name was Dunn) did an excellent job of serving our table; although he was very busy and constantly on the move, he was fun and high-energy with a great attitude. This was my first time at El Vez and I thought the food was delicious. You make a good mojito, too. Thanks for everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Not our first time to El Vez, however first Sunday Morning; we arrived at 11:45. Early for our reservation, we were sat right away and greeted shortly after. Tyler was thorough, timely, well versed with the menu and drinks. Our meals were delicious and the guacamole with the goat cheese and pistachios was amazeballs. Bonus for us-we had a gift card. Try the drink with the cranberry infused bourbon. I could have had about ten of them. So good.Special Features:
- Wonderful PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Great service and food, would recommend. Went out of their way to accommodate our group, which had last minute add ons.Special Features:
- Great lunch optionAcebabyDined on 10/30/2014Casual restaurant with good food, good service and comfortable ambiance.Special Features:
- SO GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014I loved it !!! I came for my birthday and was impressed with everything. The food was phenomenal especially the guacamole. I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone.Special Features:
- Reliable & deliciousJoetVIPDined on 10/28/2014Had another very good meal prior to the theater. Service was very good and food was very tasty and ample. Particularly enjoyed the mahi-mahi taco from the sampler which I recommend. Nachos were very good as was the guacamole. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, below average serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014We have gone to El Vez many, many times and this was the first time the service was less than adequate. Side dishes didn't come out until we had to ask for them, which was more than halfway through our meal. She constantly was rushing us, even when she handed us the dessert menus. As soon as she handed them to us, she asked if we wanted anything. I was frustrated at this point and rudely said we needed time to actually look at the menu.Special Features:
- El Vez Always A Pleasure DinningDena1Dined on 10/24/2014What more can I say; I love this place, Food, Drinks, and venue as a whole is always above board, exceeding expectations, truly my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a quick work lunchjoeytoeyVIPDined on 10/24/2014nice affordable lunch menu with some key favorites like the guacamole options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014The food, the service and envirotment is just perfect. I hope they don't change the seasoning.. I love it. My family talk all the time about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab guac beats controlled chaosLondoniteDined on 10/18/2014The delicious tacos and crab guacamole won us over, despite being greeted by a din of noise from the bar and enormous restaurant, upon entering. We were three friends looking to catch up, so it was a lovely surprise to discover the acoustics allow for quiet conversation once we were seated in a booth near the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mlmomDined on 10/18/2014Very good mexican food. Love the guacamole with goat cheese.Special Features:
- Hot spot!JafippDined on 10/17/2014Always packed, great margaritas and food! Sort of hard to sit at tables by bar with people standing to get drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestJennyceceDined on 10/16/2014One of my favorite places! Liz is the best server we always ask for her when we go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome PlaceDougWDined on 10/15/2014Every time I go to Philadelphia I go to eat here. The staff is awesome and always so friendly. The drinks and food are unmatched by many places in the city. I would highly recommend this place for lunch, dinner, or just drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MARYANNEVIPDined on 10/13/2014El Vez never disappoints.. we went on a Monday night. and the food and service (our waiter Nick) is just as wonderful and consistent as always. I can't thank you enough for making our friend Mike's birthday so wonderful! He is now one of your biggest fans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place everMaddyVIPDined on 10/11/2014I absolutely love this place! The food is great and it never fails to deliver. Don't pass this place up! Their guacamole is tasty and the dishes are out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XperinceLucydinesDined on 10/11/2014Food good atmosphere good but would like to have a different waitress she just didn't have enough enthusiasm seemed liked she would rather be somewhere else maybe she was having a bad day but a different server would have made th experience betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!AmazingDined on 10/11/2014I can not find one flaw in the food or service; both were beyond amazing! It was a little loud (no fault of the restaurant) but not too loud that you couldn't talk comfortably without yelling. I would definitely reccomend and go back myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsjaxdad78Dined on 10/7/2014From the friendly service to the awesome food, this place is always a winner. Every drink and dish looks like a piece of art and tastes even better than it looks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.