121 South 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elvezrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2159289800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: David LaForce
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
A word from El Vez
A contemporary Mexican restaurant, El Vez offers many unique items such as mahi mahi tacos, ahi tuna tostadas, carne asada and pasilla braised pork pozole. Enjoy their made-to-order guacamole & margaritas with fresh-squeezed juices. Top off your meal with "The El Vez," a flourless chocolate cake, peanut butter mousse and carmelized bananas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
El Vez - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
El Vez reviews from OpenTable diners
333 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (196)good for groups (189)vibrant bar scene (180)fit for foodies (160)neighborhood gem (118)great for lunch (101)special occasion (98)great for outdoor dining (78)late-night find (56)romantic (38)great for brunch (34)kid-friendly (26)scenic view (14)notable wine list (7)Show More
- Hot spot!JafippDined on 10/17/2014Always packed, great margaritas and food! Sort of hard to sit at tables by bar with people standing to get drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014One of my favorite places! Liz is the best server we always ask for her when we go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome PlaceDougWDined on 10/15/2014Every time I go to Philadelphia I go to eat here. The staff is awesome and always so friendly. The drinks and food are unmatched by many places in the city. I would highly recommend this place for lunch, dinner, or just drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MARYANNEVIPDined on 10/13/2014El Vez never disappoints.. we went on a Monday night. and the food and service (our waiter Nick) is just as wonderful and consistent as always. I can't thank you enough for making our friend Mike's birthday so wonderful! He is now one of your biggest fans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place everMaddyVIPDined on 10/11/2014I absolutely love this place! The food is great and it never fails to deliver. Don't pass this place up! Their guacamole is tasty and the dishes are out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XperinceLucydinesDined on 10/11/2014Food good atmosphere good but would like to have a different waitress she just didn't have enough enthusiasm seemed liked she would rather be somewhere else maybe she was having a bad day but a different server would have made th experience betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!AmazingDined on 10/11/2014I can not find one flaw in the food or service; both were beyond amazing! It was a little loud (no fault of the restaurant) but not too loud that you couldn't talk comfortably without yelling. I would definitely reccomend and go back myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsjaxdad78Dined on 10/7/2014From the friendly service to the awesome food, this place is always a winner. Every drink and dish looks like a piece of art and tastes even better than it looks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPasoccermomDined on 10/7/2014had a late lunch with my hubby on our 20th wedding anniversary! I had the crispy mahi tacos and they were excellent! The blood orange margarita was awesome!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tons of fun at El VezChef4lifeDined on 10/6/2014I've dined here twice in the last month. Once with a group of friends and another on a first date. El Vez was totally fit for both of these ocassions. It's fun, casual, great (not mind blowing) service, food is great and consistent, and the decor and ambience bright and vibrant. My friends were a bit skeptical, when it came to me bringing a first date here, only because I'm a foodie (huge foodie) but it was perfect! We had a pitcher of the Perfecto Margarita which was a little bitter (I'm a bit of a margarita snob) but still got the party started. I would recommend the frozen blood orange. We then ordered the Macho Nachos, sea bass ceviche, grilled corn on the cob, plaintains, and the mahi tacos. All of which were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatfood4lifeDined on 10/5/2014It was very good, very nice. I really enjoyed my time here.Special Features:
- CelebrationPianomanDined on 9/28/2014We had a great time for a family celebration. The ambience is upbeat and energetic. You feel like you're somewhere special as soon as you get to the front door. This place has the best fish tacos anywhere. The entrees are fine, but definitely get some tacos, and did I mention the guacamole?! Holy guacamole, their guac is the best!!Special Features:
- NICErejan2Dined on 9/26/2014I do not eat at Mexican restaurant but my daughter prodded to give it a try. The appetizers were great and the main dish was excellent. I will be a return customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014The food is somewhat a "fancified" texmex. Not fancy exactly, but arranged and enhanced beyond your typical burrito. It tastes incredible and the portions are enormous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clamorous Culinary SceneJPaulVIPDined on 9/24/2014Noisy, boisterous El Vez is definitely not the the place for a quiet romantic dinner, as you're likely to be seated near braying vulgarians into their fifth round of the splendid specialty margaritas. But sometimes this is what you want, and El Vez delivers the party atmosphere along with delicious Tex-Mex specialties. The house-made guacamole is a must-try, and is nicely complemented with an order of chips and salsa (not gratis, as at most restaurants but worthy of your investment). Entrees also please, from usual Tex-Mex fare to original dishes. Reservations are a must, even on weeknights, as El Vez is one of restauranteur Stephen Starr's most popular eateries. Be sure to take note of lucha libre figures in the clever decor.Special Features:
- good food good service but loudBobsDined on 9/24/2014Food was great. Service terrific. Noise level through the roof.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EL VEZ ROCKS!!!!!!cal1dineVIPDined on 9/21/2014WITHOUT A DOUBT THE EL IS THE PLACE TO BE IN PHILA FOR MEXICAN FOOD. TODAY WE HAD THE STEAK AND EGGS ALONG WITH THE SOFT SHELL TACO SAMPLER. BOTH DISHES JUSDT ROCKED BIG TIME. AND OF COURSE THE BARTENDER THE AMAZING KATIE TOOK GRAND CARE OF US AT THE BAR.EL VEZ YOU ROCK!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulously funOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Great spot, yummy food, good vibe, fabulous margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but too loudLisaGDined on 9/19/2014Food was fantastic. Service good. But it was so loud we couldn't hear each other across the table. That's the only bad thing we could think of about our experience.Special Features:
- enjoyed our mealBrandy13Dined on 9/19/2014We dined at El Vez for restaurant week, but it had been on our list of places to try for a while. The service was amazing and I really loved all of the recommendations from our waitress. We both had two drinks and they were awesome! We did the restaurant week menu so we had several courses but also got an extra nacho mamma appetizer which was great. We liked the guac and our main entrees a lot too, but we werent crazy about our restaurant week 1st and 2nd courses. We enjoyed our meal, but I'm not sure it would be a first choice of somewhere to go back to.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Good food, a bit loud so I wouldn't come here for a quiet evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!MexicanMistressDined on 9/17/2014Best Mexican food in the area. We got the restaurant week menu and it was great to sample many of their selections. Would go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat your weight in guacNevaDined on 9/17/2014The best guacamole hands down! The variations of it are fun but the traditional is fabulous. The rest of the menu is amazing as well; I don't think you could order something that wouldn't be amazing!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FunSoJerseyGirlDined on 9/16/2014Really enjoyed it. The food was delicious, though a bit salty (unnecessarily so as the food was very flavorful).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good MexicanHollowBrew1VIPDined on 9/16/2014Can't go wrong with El Vez. The food never disappoints. Always very good. Drinks are awesome too.Special Features:
- El Vez - love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014I have been to El Vez a few times for regular dining and I love it. I live in the suburbs so I always try new places for restaurant week but I added El Vez just because its a great spot. Their menu was by far the best restaurant week menu. I have been doing this for a few years trying out at least three restaurants during restaurant week. El Vez did not skimp on the restaurant week menu and the variety was awesome. Our waitress was great also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week DinnerPhillyFoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Went for restaurant week. Although good, there was way too much food. Four courses- special sizes of their regular items except dessert- for $35. Would have preferred 3 for $25 or even $30. Paid $120 for food, one alcoholic beverage and 2 nonalcoholic beverages. And this was the special restaurant week meal. No bargain. Recommend but not for restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch in the cityFoodjunkie12Dined on 9/14/2014I always love coming to El Vez for brunch with one person or a group! Its always a fun time! And I love the photo booth!Special Features:
- Resturant weekPhilliesgirlDined on 9/10/2014We went during resturant week and it was awesome! We got four courses and everything tasted amazing. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cali Foodie's loved El VezYummieGuacDined on 9/8/2014Great food and creative drinks. Pistachio Limon Guacamole is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Vez always delivers!jamiemacDined on 9/8/2014I have been going to El Vez for years and always love it! This visit was a friends 1st time for a birthday celebration and we enjoyed every course. The restaurant week menu they offered was more than we could eat! Great choice and will definitely be returning. Don't miss the crab guacamole and margaritas, you are going to want to order the pitcher !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMoocaVIPDined on 9/7/2014From the fresh, delicious, perfectly-cooked sea bass and mahi mahi tacos, to the smooth, luxurious guacamole, everything we had at El Vez was outstanding! The vanilla flan was a tad sweet for my tastes, but the smooth caramel flavor accentuates the soft, creaminess of the flan, tying the whole dining experience together with a great, sweet finish.Special Features:
- Hellooooooo El Vezkelgia80Dined on 9/7/2014Great food, great service, great prices. This was my first visit, but definitely not my last. Their guac is amazing and although I'm not a vegetarian, their veggies tacos are to die for. Top it off with an El Vez Margarita, perfection!!Special Features:
- So SOZulyDined on 9/7/2014I asked for chicken tacos. Their tacos were "fajitas". I would to Chillis for that and would have cheap. Will not go back again.Special Features:
- Too loud!acnmlvDined on 9/6/2014I went to El Vez recently to celebrate my 24 yr olds birthday. We had 2 sets of grandparents with us. Food was very good - although the portions were small. It was way too loud. I think they must do something to make it unnaturally loud. With 7 people around a table we could barely hear each other and the elders among us could not hear a single thing. Service was fine but not particularly nice. I have eaten outside before and it was a much better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best for The Best!Dena1Dined on 9/5/2014An intriguing venue with an ambiance filled with energy, and captivating décor. Needless to say; the Blood Red Margaritas are a treat to even the most discriminating palate, along with a menu of extraordinary Mexican cuisine. I simply adore this place; need I say more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Mexican!carolngeorgeVIPDined on 9/4/2014The food was very delicious, and though I'm not a good judge, maybe truly Mexican in flavor. The ambience of El Vez is distinctly non-Mexican, and is a midtown 'hot spot'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014Food was good but had to wait over a half hour for lunch to be delivered (and the restaurant was pretty empty)Special Features:
- Always fun and yummyDebbVIPDined on 9/2/2014Great food ,service,drink choices Only negative is excessive use of saucesSpecial Features:
- THE BEST OF THE BESTcal1dineVIPDined on 9/1/2014LIKE I JUST SAID THE BEST OF THE BEST. EL VEZ WITHOUT A DOUNBT IS THE FINEST MEXICAN RESTAURANT IN PHILADELPHIA. YESTERDAY WE HAD AMAZING DRINKS AT THE BAR TO AN AMAZING DINNING EXPERIANCE.EL VEZ YOU ROCK BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.