121 South 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elvezrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2159289800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: David LaForce
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
A word from El Vez
A contemporary Mexican restaurant, El Vez offers many unique items such as mahi mahi tacos, ahi tuna tostadas, carne asada and pasilla braised pork pozole. Enjoy their made-to-order guacamole & margaritas with fresh-squeezed juices. Top off your meal with "The El Vez," a flourless chocolate cake, peanut butter mousse and carmelized bananas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
El Vez - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
El Vez reviews from OpenTable diners
349 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (199)good for groups (195)hot spot (189)fit for foodies (152)special occasion (117)great for lunch (117)neighborhood gem (114)great for outdoor dining (88)late-night find (63)great for brunch (44)romantic (38)kid-friendly (32)scenic view (13)notable wine list (6)Show More
- Wed nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014Good place to celebrate a birthday friends however it was a busy night and I saw many hostesses walking around taking note of everyone's times at their tables; felt a bit like they were rushing my group out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, happening placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014We just beat the rush with a 5:30 reservation, on our way to a show at the Forrest Theater. Food was mostly excellent, although the Mahi tacos were uneven. Service was excellent. We were very pleased.Special Features:
- YumSelfoodVIPDined on 8/26/2014Ordered taco for two which turned out to fajitas. Amazing. Maybe the best ever.Special Features:
- Food was ok, organized chaosOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2014Girls up front were terrible at communicating information about reservation. Had 7:30 reservation and checked in at about that time. Was told table was being set up ASAP so we sat at the bar. After two drinks still never was approached about our table or reservation. Walked back over about 8pm and was surprised to be asked, oh were you ready to be seated now !? Huh? Tip: Just pick a guacamole and do the taco tasting platter.Special Features:
- Excellent vibe and great food!skyus1Dined on 8/25/2014I am not into upscale Mexican food but El Vez is different. The food selection is vast and is very authentic. Portions are smaller compared to other places which completely agrees with me. The bar is a must see! And you should try the Pink Cadillac!Special Features:
- Great dinnerGennaroDined on 8/24/2014We have asked for a good table and we received a perfect oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014If you like Mexican, you will love El Vez!! Food was a bit spicy and restaurant is loud but overall a great experience!Special Features:
- Flavorful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Most flavorful and pretty Tex-Mex plates for the epicurean at heart. I recommend the taco sampler and their yuca home fries.Special Features:
- THE FINEST IN ALL PHILADELPHIAcal1dineVIPDined on 8/24/2014FROM THE START OF WALKING INTO EL VEZ THE RESTAURANT JUST ROCKED FROM THE AWESOME HOSTESS AND THE AMAZING BARTENDER KATIE MY LUNCH WAS AWSOME. THE FISH TACOS WERE BANGING AND THE NACHOS WERE JUST OVER THE TOP EL VEZ YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendPhlnj1234Dined on 8/23/2014Food portions where very small and not very good. Food was luke warm when it was served. Overly crowded.
- ReneeDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed the restaurant very much. Great food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not so friendlyBlueDined on 8/22/2014The waitress could not hide the fact that she was miserable!! I have had better service at McDonalds! She looked angry and her attitude was horrible it killed her to even put on a fake smile! I couldn't wait to leave!Special Features:
- birthday celebration1970sbabyDined on 8/20/2014Our server was the best. She was very attentive and even went so far as to surprise us with a birthday chutes :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to try outAshuVIPDined on 8/19/2014I come to Philadelphia for work wanted to try out some Mexican place , the place is nice just portions are too big more like family styleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/19/2014The Service is great. The food is different and always amazing. It's our familys favorite restaurant inPhilly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodphillyfoodieDined on 8/17/2014This restaurant is so popular that it is almost always busy and there is a wait- even when you have a reservation. Food is always excellent- fish tacos and taco sampler platter are always my favorites. the homemade guacamole is a must-have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceMslavone89Dined on 8/16/2014The food here is amazing! I'm in love with Mexican and I love their guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mminguelaDined on 8/14/2014Great food, maybe a little too loud for a romantic dinner. Otherwise it's a fun place with a good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to reputationTJR55Dined on 8/13/2014Everything and I mean absolutely everything we ordered was outstanding - chicken and beef tacos, sea bass tacos, carne asada, blood orange and pineapple margaritas. Definitely a great place to come with group. Service was excellent. Seated right away with reservation. I'm looking forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El VezOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Great but really too noisy. At times, you can't hear yourself talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!NidnidaDined on 8/11/2014Lovely waitress - guacamole and nachos were the bomb! I didn't like my entree so the server was sweet enough not to charge us for it. Would definitely go here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected it to be great and it wasMJNJVIPDined on 8/10/2014We were very pleased with variety and breadth of menu, and with interesting combinations of fresh ingredients. Drink menu was terrific. Food presentation was great, service was prompt but not rushed. Only drawback is that if you're looking for a place to have a quiet conversation this isn't it. It's a very lively energetic environment bordering on being too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time at El VezSampanFanDined on 8/10/2014Had a great early dinner on 8-10, before going to a concert. Everything was excellent. The only exceptions, though minor, were that it was VERY noisy (that can't be helped-it was crowded and I guess it's just how the restaurant was built) and that it was difficult to maneuver from the entrance to the table as there were servers and food runners going everywhere, and they were moving quickly. Most people would probably not have an issue with this but I have balance issues (neurological condition) and I was very uncomfortable with the long walk to our table. Going forward, when making my reservation, I would specify that I would like a table close to the entrance. But again, very minor; overall El Vez was great and I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Decent Mexican FoodMexicanFoodLoverDined on 8/10/2014Menu very limited. Our server was not at all personable. Asked for plain cheese enchiladas, after given several excuses why that would not be possible one of which was "they were pre-rolled", I begged him to go ask, at least. He came back and said it was "my lucky day. His chef was in a good mood." They were good. Portions were quite small. Don't expect free chips and salsa! I guess if you are not super hungry or expecting a variety, it's good. Maybe the server was just having a bad day?.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE FINEST BURGER!!!!!cal1dineVIPDined on 8/10/2014TODAY FOR LUNCH I HAD THE GRAND PLEASURE OF HAVING THE EL VEZ BURGER AND TO SAY THE LEAST THIS IS ONE OF THE FINEST BURGERS IN ALL PHILADELPHIA. SERVICE ALWAYS ROCKED AND THE BLOODY MARYS WAS STUNNING. I CANT WAIT TILL THE NEXT TIME!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for lunchPhilsphanDined on 8/8/2014We took my coworker to lunch for her birthday. Five of us. I do like their circular velvet booths although at 5'6" I needed a phone book to sit on to achieve a good dining height! Always get the chips and guac app ($13) for the table when I go. Doesn't disappoint. I had the Mexican salad with chicken was $15. Nice size and I couldn't finish it. Two of us got the taco al carbon which was also very generously sized. The waiter was dealing with a table of 12 next to us so he wasn't as attentive as I'd have expected. But I get that. Bad luck for us! We will continue to go here, but there are a ton of new places around 13th and sansom so it's a great area now to explore other spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed celebrationYumsterDined on 8/4/2014My husband and I chose El Vez to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were looking for great Mexican food in an upscale setting. We love El Rey but have never been to El Vez. The dinner room was a little loader and less formal then we expected but the food did not disappoint. Everything was delicious and we enjoyed the festive setting.Special Features:
- delicious, creative tex-mexOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/4/2014The sea bass tacos were excellent. Very well-constructed flavor combination. Enjoyed the vibe of the restaurant. Friendly service.Special Features:
- before theater spotMelisaDined on 8/3/2014very lively restaurant. excellent food and drinks. has a fun vegas atmosphere. appeals to out of town guests!Special Features:
- Good foodPhillymanVIPDined on 8/3/2014We have visited many times because of good food. I wish their service would be more reliable and consistent.Special Features:
- great birthday dinner!!foodieDined on 8/1/2014Had a great time with a friend for a birthday dinner!!went on a Friday, def should make a reservation as it gets crowded quickly. Foodnwas delicious. Have had their guacamole before, got the nachos masma this time. Did not disappoint! We also had the black bean enchiladas and chicken tacos, good portion size and all just right! Great overallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BirthdayforangutangVIPDined on 8/1/2014Party of two for a birthday and it was fabulous. Waitress did not rush us to order, instead let us eat a plate of nachos and then decide how hungry we were for entrees. Ordered carnitas tacos, DELICIOUS as well. Street corn was disappointing, only because I know and love that type of corn. After dinner they brought churros with mexican dipping sauce and a candle for the birthday girl. Totally unexpected, and really cute. Also absolutely delicious again. Loved it! Would definitely go back. Even just for margs & nachos.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceLoveFoodDined on 7/31/2014I love this place!! It is a bit pricey for us, but the food was well worth it. They have variety of guacamoles to choose from and the Macho Nachos were OUTSTANDING! My wife and I shared the Taco tasting platter and were impressed with the variety of flavor present. Each one had unique sauces that fit each of the different meats. I only wish we lived closer, because we would make regular trips here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!! What ENERGY & WARMTHOlderJerseyGirlDined on 7/31/2014From the times I spoke to the hostess for reservations to the moment we walked in -everyone at el Vez is friendly and welconing! We went to celebrate my daughter completing the bar exam. We were 6 in our party and we sat in the one of those wonderful rounded booths. t was so intimate amidst all the talking of the day and the atmosphere was already so celebratory that it fit our occasion perfectly. FOOD was awesome! The guac - Yummy, the tuna delish and my steak topped Mexican sald was huge. We finished by splitting two desserts - just perfect! I am a 53 years old Jersey "girl"and being there made me feel the youth and excitement of the city. I want to move close to El Vez so I can pop in whenever I want to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingPhillyLawStudentDined on 7/31/2014El Vez has yet to disappoint me. The food is incredible (especially the guacamole) and the service is great as well. Would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious. I love El Vez!Dustygirl1VIPDined on 7/31/2014A great neighborhood staple. You can eat healthy if splurge. Great service and food, friendly and helpful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceMJ25Dined on 7/30/2014Really enjoyed the food and drink. The ambiance was fun and buzzy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing time and time againCateDined on 7/29/2014I love this restaurant. No matter what day, what hour you walk in, there are always lots of customers! From the margs to the guac to the mahi mahi tacos and more, this restaurant knows exactly what the customer wants. Amazing customer service. The staff who answers the phones are so friendly and sweet. The hostesses are accomodating and perky. The servers and bartenders know the menu inside and out and can keep up with the busy flow they have to attend to all night long. Even down to the bathrooms; they somehow stay clean! This is my favorite restaurant to go to in CC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placepinop26Dined on 7/27/2014I always like going here, great guacamole, margaritas, and this time we tried the guava mojito, which was equally as great. I tried the hibiscus enchilada, wasn't too impressed, but not bad.Special Features:
- DisappointedOduarteVIPDined on 7/27/2014Had dinner one night and split the tacos for two. Good sized portion, but they failed to tell us that they add an adobe sauce which in our opinion was super spicy. So much that it killed all flavor. The next night we were walking by after dinner and decided to sit outside for a quick drink and try the nachos. After waiting over 30 minutes, the nachos arrived. The delay was due to a banquet that was going on inside. Would have been nice if our waitress would have told us. Once again, the adobe sauce was added heavily...we couldn't eat the nachos. Shame, it's a nice looking restaurant with outdoor seating and good ambiance. But if you don't have a palate for hot food, save your money and go elsewhere.Special Features: