121 South 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elvezrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2159289800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: David LaForce
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
A word from El Vez
A contemporary Mexican restaurant, El Vez offers many unique items such as mahi mahi tacos, ahi tuna tostadas, carne asada and pasilla braised pork pozole. Enjoy their made-to-order guacamole & margaritas with fresh-squeezed juices. Top off your meal with "The El Vez," a flourless chocolate cake, peanut butter mousse and carmelized bananas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
El Vez - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
El Vez reviews from OpenTable diners
351 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (205)good for groups (191)vibrant bar scene (184)fit for foodies (159)neighborhood gem (122)great for lunch (111)special occasion (105)great for outdoor dining (87)late-night find (62)romantic (38)great for brunch (37)kid-friendly (29)scenic view (16)notable wine list (8)Show More
- NICErejan2Dined on 9/26/2014I do not eat at Mexican restaurant but my daughter prodded to give it a try. The appetizers were great and the main dish was excellent. I will be a return customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014The food is somewhat a "fancified" texmex. Not fancy exactly, but arranged and enhanced beyond your typical burrito. It tastes incredible and the portions are enormous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clamorous Culinary SceneJPaulVIPDined on 9/24/2014Noisy, boisterous El Vez is definitely not the the place for a quiet romantic dinner, as you're likely to be seated near braying vulgarians into their fifth round of the splendid specialty margaritas. But sometimes this is what you want, and El Vez delivers the party atmosphere along with delicious Tex-Mex specialties. The house-made guacamole is a must-try, and is nicely complemented with an order of chips and salsa (not gratis, as at most restaurants but worthy of your investment). Entrees also please, from usual Tex-Mex fare to original dishes. Reservations are a must, even on weeknights, as El Vez is one of restauranteur Stephen Starr's most popular eateries. Be sure to take note of lucha libre figures in the clever decor.Special Features:
- good food good service but loudBobsDined on 9/24/2014Food was great. Service terrific. Noise level through the roof.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EL VEZ ROCKS!!!!!!cal1dineVIPDined on 9/21/2014WITHOUT A DOUBT THE EL IS THE PLACE TO BE IN PHILA FOR MEXICAN FOOD. TODAY WE HAD THE STEAK AND EGGS ALONG WITH THE SOFT SHELL TACO SAMPLER. BOTH DISHES JUSDT ROCKED BIG TIME. AND OF COURSE THE BARTENDER THE AMAZING KATIE TOOK GRAND CARE OF US AT THE BAR.EL VEZ YOU ROCK!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulously funOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Great spot, yummy food, good vibe, fabulous margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but too loudLisaGDined on 9/19/2014Food was fantastic. Service good. But it was so loud we couldn't hear each other across the table. That's the only bad thing we could think of about our experience.Special Features:
- enjoyed our mealBrandy13Dined on 9/19/2014We dined at El Vez for restaurant week, but it had been on our list of places to try for a while. The service was amazing and I really loved all of the recommendations from our waitress. We both had two drinks and they were awesome! We did the restaurant week menu so we had several courses but also got an extra nacho mamma appetizer which was great. We liked the guac and our main entrees a lot too, but we werent crazy about our restaurant week 1st and 2nd courses. We enjoyed our meal, but I'm not sure it would be a first choice of somewhere to go back to.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Good food, a bit loud so I wouldn't come here for a quiet evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!MexicanMistressDined on 9/17/2014Best Mexican food in the area. We got the restaurant week menu and it was great to sample many of their selections. Would go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat your weight in guacNevaDined on 9/17/2014The best guacamole hands down! The variations of it are fun but the traditional is fabulous. The rest of the menu is amazing as well; I don't think you could order something that wouldn't be amazing!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FunSoJerseyGirlDined on 9/16/2014Really enjoyed it. The food was delicious, though a bit salty (unnecessarily so as the food was very flavorful).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good MexicanHollowBrew1VIPDined on 9/16/2014Can't go wrong with El Vez. The food never disappoints. Always very good. Drinks are awesome too.Special Features:
- El Vez - love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014I have been to El Vez a few times for regular dining and I love it. I live in the suburbs so I always try new places for restaurant week but I added El Vez just because its a great spot. Their menu was by far the best restaurant week menu. I have been doing this for a few years trying out at least three restaurants during restaurant week. El Vez did not skimp on the restaurant week menu and the variety was awesome. Our waitress was great also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week DinnerPhillyFoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Went for restaurant week. Although good, there was way too much food. Four courses- special sizes of their regular items except dessert- for $35. Would have preferred 3 for $25 or even $30. Paid $120 for food, one alcoholic beverage and 2 nonalcoholic beverages. And this was the special restaurant week meal. No bargain. Recommend but not for restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch in the cityFoodjunkie12Dined on 9/14/2014I always love coming to El Vez for brunch with one person or a group! Its always a fun time! And I love the photo booth!Special Features:
- Resturant weekPhilliesgirlDined on 9/10/2014We went during resturant week and it was awesome! We got four courses and everything tasted amazing. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cali Foodie's loved El VezYummieGuacDined on 9/8/2014Great food and creative drinks. Pistachio Limon Guacamole is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Vez always delivers!jamiemacDined on 9/8/2014I have been going to El Vez for years and always love it! This visit was a friends 1st time for a birthday celebration and we enjoyed every course. The restaurant week menu they offered was more than we could eat! Great choice and will definitely be returning. Don't miss the crab guacamole and margaritas, you are going to want to order the pitcher !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMoocaVIPDined on 9/7/2014From the fresh, delicious, perfectly-cooked sea bass and mahi mahi tacos, to the smooth, luxurious guacamole, everything we had at El Vez was outstanding! The vanilla flan was a tad sweet for my tastes, but the smooth caramel flavor accentuates the soft, creaminess of the flan, tying the whole dining experience together with a great, sweet finish.Special Features:
- Hellooooooo El Vezkelgia80Dined on 9/7/2014Great food, great service, great prices. This was my first visit, but definitely not my last. Their guac is amazing and although I'm not a vegetarian, their veggies tacos are to die for. Top it off with an El Vez Margarita, perfection!!Special Features:
- So SOZulyDined on 9/7/2014I asked for chicken tacos. Their tacos were "fajitas". I would to Chillis for that and would have cheap. Will not go back again.Special Features:
- Too loud!acnmlvDined on 9/6/2014I went to El Vez recently to celebrate my 24 yr olds birthday. We had 2 sets of grandparents with us. Food was very good - although the portions were small. It was way too loud. I think they must do something to make it unnaturally loud. With 7 people around a table we could barely hear each other and the elders among us could not hear a single thing. Service was fine but not particularly nice. I have eaten outside before and it was a much better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best for The Best!Dena1Dined on 9/5/2014An intriguing venue with an ambiance filled with energy, and captivating décor. Needless to say; the Blood Red Margaritas are a treat to even the most discriminating palate, along with a menu of extraordinary Mexican cuisine. I simply adore this place; need I say more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Mexican!carolngeorgeVIPDined on 9/4/2014The food was very delicious, and though I'm not a good judge, maybe truly Mexican in flavor. The ambience of El Vez is distinctly non-Mexican, and is a midtown 'hot spot'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014Food was good but had to wait over a half hour for lunch to be delivered (and the restaurant was pretty empty)Special Features:
- Always fun and yummyDebbVIPDined on 9/2/2014Great food ,service,drink choices Only negative is excessive use of saucesSpecial Features:
- THE BEST OF THE BESTcal1dineVIPDined on 9/1/2014LIKE I JUST SAID THE BEST OF THE BEST. EL VEZ WITHOUT A DOUNBT IS THE FINEST MEXICAN RESTAURANT IN PHILADELPHIA. YESTERDAY WE HAD AMAZING DRINKS AT THE BAR TO AN AMAZING DINNING EXPERIANCE.EL VEZ YOU ROCK BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good meal, great spot!!ToddWDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I celebrated our first anniversary at El Vez. We walked thru torrential rain to get there. Once we arrived we noticed a very long wait huddled in the doorways. We walked up the hostess who immediately took us to our table (phew). Our server immediately came over and took our drink order, a pitcher of the Pink Caddilac Margaritas (which were delicious BTW) When he returned with the drinks, we ordered the Queso Fundito con carne. For entrees, the wife had the chicken enchiladas and i had the Carne Asada, both were amazing. We also got an order of the Creamy Poblano Corn Rice, which was, you guessed it.... delicious. We skipped desert, although the churros sounded amazing, and each had an El Vez margarita, which was STRONG.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereRobynDined on 8/31/2014Great accidental find in Philly. Tacos for 2 huge and very delicious!Special Features:
- Dinner for a Group Prior to a ShowFunNiteVIPDined on 8/31/2014Our dinner was great. Everyone in our group had a wonderful time. Food was excellent and drinks were strong. Our group of 6 had a reservation, otherwise it was a 45 minute wait. I would recommend this restaurant. On a holiday weekend night, make sure you have a reservation. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican food everRichVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great food, fun place to people watch and always busy. The fresh guacamole is out of sight as were the mahi mahi tacos! OMG!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Great guacamole and very inventive Mexican food. Always a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YepJeffDined on 8/29/2014Excellent choice. Delicious food, great gaucomole, wonderdul serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and funOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014All around solid experience. Great drinks- try the blood orange margarita! Food overall is delicious and the staff provided great service and were knowledgeable. My fourth time here was consistently good as all the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wed nightJack0lanternDined on 8/27/2014Good place to celebrate a birthday friends however it was a busy night and I saw many hostesses walking around taking note of everyone's times at their tables; felt a bit like they were rushing my group out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting tasty mexican foodlilyVIPDined on 8/27/2014We ordered margueritas which were delicious, and the guacamole which is outstanding. We then had tacos for dinner. The portions are a little small, but the flavors are big. I had the sea bass tacos and they were out of this world good. They come with a few different sauces on the taco and it is a fantastic meal. My friend had the special of the day, a medley of sea foods in a stew like soup which was also excellent and my son had the steak taco which was also excellent and also had lovely sauces on the taco. Overall the meal was excellent. The noise level is high if you are sitting near a large party of people, so I would advise you to ask for a table far away from a large group.Special Features:
- Friendly, happening placetimewDined on 8/27/2014We just beat the rush with a 5:30 reservation, on our way to a show at the Forrest Theater. Food was mostly excellent, although the Mahi tacos were uneven. Service was excellent. We were very pleased.Special Features:
- Loud but niceBobbyDined on 8/26/2014My girlfriend and I went on the recommendation of another friend. We were told the burritos were good, but I guess that was either a lunch thing or a special, because they weren't on the menu when we went. Either way, everything we had was good, though I found myself wishing the portions on the tacos were a little larger. It was quite noisy inside, but not too loud for conversation. Overall we enjoyed ourselves and will be back at some point.Special Features:
- YumSelfoodVIPDined on 8/26/2014Ordered taco for two which turned out to fajitas. Amazing. Maybe the best ever.Special Features: