El Toro Blanco
257 Sixth Avenue
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
El Toro Blanco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eltoroblanconyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 645-0193
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday: 11:30am - 12:00am
Saturday: 10:00am - 12:00am
Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Josh Capon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We offer a variety of options for large party reservations of 8 or more. Additionally the mezzanine dining area can be booked as a semi private area that accommodates up to 22 guests for seated dinner and 30 for standing cocktails. For more information please email email@example.com to customize your experience.
A word from El Toro Blanco
Mexican restaurant featuring a substantial seafood menu of ceviche, tacos and entrees with coastal influence, guacamole bar, and extensive tequila bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Toro Blanco reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (58)good for groups (45)hot spot (42)neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (35)special occasion (20)vibrant bar scene (19)great for brunch (18)great for lunch (15)romantic (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Was expecting much moreUp4anythingDined on 11/15/2014I went here with guests from out of town on the recommendation of people in "the know". It was supposed to be a great, fun place with lots of celeb sightings. We had an early reservation on a Sat night (5:45) because we had a show uptown at 8. The place was small and dark and felt like a 70s style family room. They were out of two items on the menu (early on a Sat night?!) , it was not crowded, no celebs, food was just ok and the waitress had an attitude. The drinks were the best part. I was really disappointed and embarrassed and would def not make this a destination.
- Great for Brunch Too!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/9/2014Been here before but first time for brunch.Authentic great dishes as always. Atmosphere is always chill.Will be back again..and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceNYCDinerDined on 10/17/2014The atmosphere was great and the drinks were good, however the service was terrible. Our dinner lasted three hours but solely because the entrees took an incredibly long time to arrive. The waiter apologized and delevered us some free sides, but the wait did make the dinner turn sour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stylish Mexican, good tequila listMrBodeyDined on 10/15/2014Very good food and extensive selection of tequilas. A little on the pricey side, esp. the cocktails. Wish they had more veggie options, but it's a great menu for meat and fish lovers.Special Features:
- Great FoodEllieIsSleDined on 10/11/2014Went there for dinner, but got too full off the of chips, guac and queso. VERY GOOD FOOD.Special Features:
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/6/2014good food & decor and great cocktails. been here before for lunch and dinner and its a great, chill spot to meet up with friendsSpecial Features:
- Awesome taco and amazing guacamoletimberkidDined on 9/16/2014great place, great ambiance, great service, the whole experience was awesomeSpecial Features:
- Disappointed the 2nd time aroundJosephVIPDined on 9/15/2014The food remains delicious but the portions are small and the service was poor. Also, the happy hour specials were only offered at the bar.
- Good Mexican FoodBlooming2VIPDined on 9/7/2014The drinks, guacamole and salsa were very good. We especially liked the jicama sticks for dipping instead of chips. A small order of guac is enough for 2 people. The beef tacos were nothing special but the Shrimp with Garlic sauce was delicious. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For NYC, below par MexicanNYCGourmandVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had been meaning to try ETB since its 2012 opening. There are much, much better places from Empellon to La Palapa, Crema and Suenos to name a few great Mexican places we have dined at recently; we were very disappointed. We got a mix of tacos and the fillings were just pedestrian and, quite frankly, amateurishly spiced and prepared. Nothing stood out in terms of being something you would want to order again. Even one of their signature dishes, the queso fundido with chorizo tasted like cafeteria food. Don't know if the chef was off that night and the owner/manager is on vacation, but whatever is coming out of the kitchen leaves us cold. We are amazed it has stayed open for 2 years.
- Going down hillOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014The food, the service, and the cocktails all used to be much, much better. Everything has gown down a few notches at this place. Used to love it here but wont be coming any time soon now that the drinks taste cheap and the food is barely mediocre.
- Strong Drinks, Delicious FoodfauxfoodsnobVIPDined on 8/19/2014The drinks were surprisingly strong. The Pico de Paloma was refreshing, but we definitely felt it after the first drink. The food was very good. The guacamole is more than enough for 2 people, which says a lot compared to what you get at some other Mexican restaurants. The Camarones en Mojo de Ajo and the Sonoran Cheese Crisp were both delicious. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go at 3:30 p.m.ToughFoodCriticVIPDined on 8/17/2014Visited for the 1st time on Sunday at 3:30, open table listed available reservation and next available at 5 so we assumed we would be still served lunch/brunch. We were advised that only limited midday menu was available, I asked hostess to ask kitchen if we ordered quickly could we still order from lunch menu. She returned to advise that "all brunch items had been thrown out" and asked for manager who never presented him/herself. Tried to make the best from starting out with bad taste in my mouth. From limited menu food was good but somewhat expensive for Mexican..not sure if I'll be going back to experience full menu anytime soon.Special Features:
- Too much of a sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014Food was mediocre at best. Do not come here expecting authentic Mexican food. This is a place you come to before going out- enjoy some margaritas, guacamole and chips- that's all.Special Features:
- Best Mex in the CitypghgalDined on 8/13/2014El Toro Blanco was the best Mexican food I've had in the city. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Best Guac!Vic1eatsDined on 8/11/2014Good drinks, best guac ever! tacos (lobster and al pastor) a hit or miss, Camarones en mojo de ajo Really good. We ordered to share and were pleasantly surprised when they brought on two different plates. The roasted tomato and lobster sauce was the highlight of the night. Service was good and attentive. The tables outside were too close to each other and you could hear the conversation from the table next to us.Special Features:
- Good brunchganycDined on 8/10/2014Food was great but there were just some service issues like things coming late or being forgotten. I would definitely recommend and go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice little placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014decent food at decent prices. impeccable service; option of sitting in or outside. exceptional short ribs empanandas and orange flan are memorable. first was not greasy--crispy on the outside, moist on the inside. flan was not at all sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid mexican.djs511VIPDined on 8/9/2014such a cute spot! somehow i've missed this place until recently, and definitely plan to be back. the outdoor seating and pitchers of margaritas are a must. loved the sonoran cheese crisp. prices are bit high for the fare but, overall, well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible vegetable enchiladasToro2014VIPDined on 8/5/2014We had some vegetable enchiladas, made of the remains of that day's kitchen basically, cauliflower and broccoli mostly, lots of cream… disgusting. This place demonstrated that is only apt for brunch.Special Features:
- Bucketlist New YorkBucketlistNewYorkVIPDined on 7/31/2014This is a great spot for a group of friends, ready for a night out! It's got great energy and an awesome vibe. They got great options for food: from plates you can share to individual tacos. Don't miss out on their churros - they are delicious! For pictures please visit @bucketlistNY on instagram.Special Features:
- The following 208 reviews are from the El Toro Blanco reviews archive.
- Great for Restaurant WeekEVFoodieVIPDined on 7/29/2014First time here for lunch during Restaurant Week. Very impressed. Sat outside on a breezy, not so hot, afternoon. Had the prix-fixe Restaurant Week lunch. Everything was delicious. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good jobyummyintummyDined on 7/29/2014Staff was great and food was delicious. I especially appreciated the interior of the restaurant, it was nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice lunch dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/2014Great service. Nice Decor. Food was Superb. Restaurant week menu provided good options. The tamale was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great drinks, costly entreesnewtonycDined on 7/25/2014The drinks were delicious and worth the price, however the food was very overpriced for what you got. The food was good but you can get it elsewhere for much less. Outdoor seating was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honest ReviewAchRDined on 7/25/2014The food was mediocre but the drink was good. The waitress was decent. Overall experience was fair but could have been better
- Simpatia del cibo messicanoDavide65Dined on 7/23/2014Abbiamo visitato il locale in occasione delle Week day e ci siamo trovati molto bene, vivace l'ambiente, ottimo il cibo. Fantastici i dolci.Special Features:
- Nice outsideAMY123Dined on 7/21/2014We sat outside, which ended up being a great choice on a beautiful evening because it was dark and somewhat loud inside. We split the queso fundito, which was delicious, and each got tacos which we both loved. Very nice, great service, gorgeous neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Birthday Dinner SpotIheartfoodVIPDined on 7/21/2014Had a great birthday dinner here with friends. We shared the guacamole and queso to start, which were tasty, but the highlight was the tasty dessert they served me complete with a sombrero plopped on my head. The interior is modern/trendy and overall really liked the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love Guac...rrnycDined on 7/21/2014...you'll love El Toro Blanco. Best Chile Rubbed Mango Margarita, Lobster Ceviche and Escuela Vieja Tacos. And then there's Chef Josh Capon of SpikeTV's Frankenfood. Cheerful, Talented...A Culinary Superstar!Special Features:
- Very Goodmel661Dined on 7/20/2014We Sat outside Drinks, Food and Service was both as advertised...Very Good !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El toro blancoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014Great food, great service, great outdoor dining. Once made a reservation for 9:15 and didn't get seated until 10:15, so there is that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican SophisticationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014In spring, summer and fall, the side walk tables are the best choice as far as atmosphere. The service is attentive and friendly. The food, by far, is the best part. I was not at all a fan of Mexican food, until I ate here and experienced how good it could be.Special Features:
- Had a fabulous birthday party hereEBK1Dined on 7/3/2014Really enjoyed everything about this place from the interior to the service to the food. Took two family members here for a birthday and had a blast. Tacos were incredible.Special Features:
- DeliciosoflixgalDined on 7/2/2014This was my third visit to El Toro Blanco and I continue to enjoy the uniqueness of the Mexican menu items. They have amazing cocktails, terrific ceviche, fresh flavorful guacamole, fish tacos, tamales, you name it, it's on offer. The restaurant also offers a weekday prix fixe menu including an appetizer and entree. The service is attentive without being intrusive and the staff is knowledgeable. So if you want to explore the cuisine of Mexico, run over to El Toro Blanco and enjoy!Special Features:
- Best Guac/Margs EVERJS123Dined on 6/14/2014I've been to El Toro on many occasions. I went with friends and I went on a date. Very great experience and atmosphere. I recommend the guac, the mango habanero margarita, and Mexican street corn.Special Features:
- Great for sharingApadDined on 6/12/2014We ordered a few plates and shared everything. Things show up in any order so we just are as it showed up and ordered more as we needed it. Dessert was extremely tasty as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and not a divezeeceeVIPDined on 6/10/2014I've been there several times, have enjoyed the drinks and food - as well as the service. A waiter saw me using my fork to put hot sauce on chips and brought over spoons. Eating outside is preferable for me as the noise level is not to my liking.Special Features:
- TequilaJillJDined on 6/3/2014Very extensive Tequila menu and the staff was helpful in making choices.Special Features:
- dougrichDined on 6/1/2014Excellent outing. Brendan was an excellent server. We will be back soon.Special Features: