1785 Florida Ave NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eltamarindodc.com/
- Phone: 2023283660
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Monday - Friday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
A word from El Tamarindo
Established in 1982, El Tamarindo is the place to find home-style Mexican & Salvadoran Cuisine. Our menu is built around time-tested favorites including Pupusas, Enchiladas Poblanas, Portobello Fajitas and much more. At El Tamarindo you will enjoy farm fresh and flavorful food in an art filled and neighborly environment. Join us for a tart margarita, great food and simply a wonderful experience. We kindly invite you to become a part of the El Tamarindo Family!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Tamarindo reviews from OpenTable diners
- Very slow service, good foodKathleenVIPDined on 3/22/2014The service was extremely slow. I felt bad for the waiter, because he was responsible for the entire half of the restaurant. Definitely not enough staff for a busy Saturday night. The food was good and they had reservations available on open table, even though there was a long line out the door. With the reservation, we were able to walk right in an be seated.
- Delicious food and wonderfulLindaVIPDined on 3/15/2014Delicious food and wonderful service! Drinks from the bar were excellent and very kid friendly.Special Features:
- TastyEmilyDined on 3/3/2014I went on a snow day so it was pretty quiet but the food was excellent. I order the shrimp enchiladas - I could eat them everyday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good dealRyanDined on 3/1/2014Though the service is slow at times, the food is great and the staff is very friendly.Special Features:
- Good Mexican and El Salvador foodPeterDined on 2/21/2014Nice menu. Nice casual ambience. Good margaritas and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchoharmmDined on 2/8/2014My husband and I went for brunch... I had the chilequilas and he had the breakfast burrito. Both of our portions were quite large. I'd say the red sauce on his burrito was a bit more robust flavored, but the green sauce on mine was delicious nontheless. The eggs were cooked perfectly for both of the dishes and we both ordered the chorizo at the waitresses suggestion. By far the best chorizo I've had in DC. All in all, the food was delicious and we'd be regulars if it was just a little closer to our house. Of note, there was a children's hour at approximately 10:30am on Saturday. They had a singer/performer and there was quite a little person crowd. Nice to see the community enjoying a little kid-centric time together.Special Features:
- Great Mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/25/2014This place is very good - their pupusas are fantastic, good margaritas, guac, fajitas and pretty much everything else I have had are very good. I really like coming here with 6-8 people because you can typically get seated or grab a late reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ValueCVOWrenDined on 11/30/2013The food is good and fairly typical of El Salvador. One can order small amounts for reasonable prices. The service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Time in 2 Days!DCVisitorDined on 10/19/2013We are visiting DC for a conference and we came across this great restaurant that is just a 5 minute walk from the Hilton. We loved it so much we came back the next night with friends to eat again. Authentic food, great margaritas, and very good service. I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Neighborhood Place2112nikDined on 10/5/2013Solid food, friendly service, great drinks - easy to get a table; no complaints!Special Features:
- The whole restaurant has aiCherylDined on 9/20/2013The whole restaurant has a very authentic feel and the food is excellent. Also, the happy hour margaritas are nice and strong. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hasn't lost a stepOctober2013VIPDined on 8/30/2013An old favorite from when we lived in Maryland. We try to make it back whenever we visit, and we certainly didn't regret it this time. Especially enjoyed the fried plantains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MexicansatxspVIPDined on 8/19/2013Good food overall. Salsa was excellent, food good, and service OK. Good place to take a groupSpecial Features:
- Love the pupusasspfriedmanVIPDined on 7/19/2013The menu includes all kinds of traditional Mexican dishes too, plus I love the traditional Salvadoran dishes - the pupusas, fried plantains and beans. Mango frozen margaritas too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great but thedinersdozenDined on 6/15/2013The food was great but the waiter had a hard time understanding English. Otherwise good place to visit when you're in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Food and service was greatbirthdaygirlDined on 5/24/2013Food and service was great as usual. I also love that I can stop by at any time of the day or night in the weekends and come in until 2am during the week. On my birthday, I was pleasantly surprised by the double shot of tequila I was given along with a sombrero and birthday song!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restuarant was perfectlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2013The restuarant was perfectly adequate in all regards, but it felt like it's perhaps in decline. It's quiet - but that's because, even at 7:30 on a Saturday evening, it was pretty empty. Our menu had a big glob of guacamole on it when the server handed it to us, which wasn't an auspicious way to begin. The food was good - but very salty, and things sort of tasted the same. The marguerita was quite nice, however, and the beer was good and cold.Special Features:
- Great Experience!MrsSmith67Dined on 5/10/2013Friends of ours love this place for their pupusas and with me growing up in NY with Hispanic friends, I really missed authentic pupusas! They are made to order so they are fresh out of the pan! Love them!! So our date night was at El Tamarindo. We really enjoyed the food and the environment was nice with families and couples and groups of friends. The staff was great. The Sangria was pretty good also! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salsa and Tacos greatJayfromPitVIPDined on 5/7/2013Salsa was very tasty and the carnitas soft tacos were excellent. Veggie enchilada was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normal hole in the wall thattwoodVIPDined on 4/13/2013Normal hole in the wall that wasn't that great. Probably won't go back, but it wasn't a bad experience.
- We enjoyed the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2013We enjoyed the food and service on a Sunday aftrnoon.Special Features:
- Liked the pupusas and tamales,discoduckDined on 2/18/2013Liked the pupusas and tamales, and appreciated the vegetarian selections. Margarita was uninspired - commercial mix - but the sangria was bright and fruity. Interior was dark, and the service was slow.
- El Tamarindo is a great newRachelDined on 1/26/2013El Tamarindo is a great new restaurant in Adam's Morgan. It's very authentic Mexican and Salvadorian food and my husband and I enjoyed our time there. Mojitos were great too!Special Features: