El Rio Grande
160 East 38th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
El Rio Grande
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.arkrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (212) 867-0922
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday and Saturdays:4:00pm-11:00pm Brunch: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Fermin Ramirez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: No catering event is too small, we can customize an event for your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We can offer private events in various formats including sit-down meals, buffet or cocktail parties.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Giovannone 2128670922
A word from El Rio Grande
Great Tex-Mex restaurant featuring the best margaritas in New York City as voted by City Search. Authentic Mexican cuisine with a flare for grilled fish. *Please note: Reservations are not available for outdoor seating. Thank you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Rio Grande reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (21)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (15)neighborhood gem (15)great for brunch (8)fit for foodies (8)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (3)romantic (3)Show More
- Consistently greatRubyVIPDined on 10/29/2014Love the steak fajita nachos and margaritas are always the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hooked another one!TravlinluvbirdsDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I have been coming here for years on date night but this time I took an old girlfriend and she loved it and your margaritas. Plans on working her way through all your flavors!Special Features:
- The Best MargaritasKrysQDined on 10/24/2014Great (strong) margaritas & fantastic food; lots to choose from! Always enjoy it here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Awesome!tjl322Dined on 9/5/2014First time back since the late 80's when the Swordfish Fajitas were all the rave. Well, 25 years later they still are...spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch those margaritas!CarrotTopDined on 8/29/2014Doesn't matter what you order, it'll be delicious. Margaritas you can only muster two at the most, but they are probably the best in town so it's worth it. Nice atmosphere, service is ok.Special Features:
- Great margaritas, good foodAnneVIPDined on 8/29/2014I've been going to this restaurant for at least 20 years and have always enjoyed the food and drinks. It always seems festive, even on a work night.
- Just OK.EatingUpNYCDined on 8/29/2014Food was good but drinks were disappointing. Service took a little while but wasn't bad.Special Features:
- JudiVIPDined on 8/3/2014Bad service at brunch however the food is good as usual.Special Features:
- DisappointingHonestDinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014I am a great fan of tex-mex cuisine and perhaps spoiled by many great joints in the South, from California to Florida through Nevada and, of course, Texas. While on a business trip to NYC, after reading very positive (and now, in retrospect, perhaps false) reviews, I gave El Rio Grande a try. What a disappointment. Watery margaritas, convenience store-like chips, even more watery salsa, tiny fajitas, and what appeared to be microwaved tortillas. For about twice what you'd pay for the same food at the best place in Las Vegas or Houston. Avoid at all costs.
- The following 152 reviews are from the El Rio Grande reviews archive.
- Delicious, Fun and ConvenientkdawgDined on 7/22/2014Conveniently located in midtown, right near Grand Central. They have amazing margaritas and a delicious menu. Service was great as well - very attentive waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodTravel77Dined on 7/17/2014The food was great, took a little while to get it but was worth the wait.Special Features:
- Loved ItdshinnDined on 7/5/2014El Rio Grande was recommended by a native New Yorker and it more than lived up to its reputation. Away from the tourist areas, the location gave a real sense of New York life with adorable brownstones and really clean streets. The outdoor dining was beautiful! We had lunch and shared an order of guacamole and a chicken quesadilla. Both were outstanding! The pomegranate margarita was also outstanding - not too strong or weak. The hostess and servers were very friendly and accommodating. This is a restaurant I will definitely be returning to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- onedimpleVIPDined on 7/4/2014Have been a customer since its inception and it continues to be one my favorate restaurants in my neighborhood. Food is excellent, as well as the service and ambience.Special Features:
- Just Ok TexMexGTownBoyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Not a big fan of this restaurant. Service was good but I don't like frozen vegetables as part of any meal I eat. Tortillas hard as a rock and probably the worst Mexican food in Manhattan. The outdoor seating area is great but I would stick to just drinks and some tortilla chips. Even the salsa tasted like it was from a can. Sorry I could not be more positive.
- Girls Fun BrunchgirlsfunDined on 6/28/2014We had a large group of ~10 females for lunch time, service was good, food was good. I liked the chicken nachos the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy hour begins at noon!CaliDined on 6/23/2014The bar food is pretty good - especially the jalapeno shrimp. Love the fact that happy hour begins at noon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great after work spotDNYC15Dined on 6/19/2014Came here the other night with some friends after work. It was a great scene and really lively! The food was good, not great, but the ambiance made it worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantHmanVIPDined on 6/15/2014Great Mexican food! Also for those with gluten intolerance they have corn tortillas and will replace flour to corn on any dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- right in the neighborhoodStevenGVIPDined on 6/15/2014this is the second time we have eaten here - once inside during the winter and this time outside in the early evening. Everything was terrific. The food was great, the wait staff attentive and enthusiastic, just nice way to spend a Fathers Day dinner - we have not found any place in the neighborhood that matches the place.Special Features:
- sometime you just want to have funOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/14/2014Lets face it.. El Rio Grande is not for foodies or trendies.. but if you want good solid food and drink.. pleasant and efficient service and just a good time with a minimum of hassle or pretention.. I can't think of a better place the recommend.. sometimes you just want to have fun! the maragaritas are great.. not with organic tequila or handmade sea salt. just good old fashioned get a little buzzSpecial Features:
- Good margs, awful food and serviceFoodieVIPDined on 6/13/2014After coming here a few times just for drinks at the bar I decided to try their food since the margaritas are good, though a little pricey. Had to wait a good 5-10 minutes for a hostess to even show up and help. When we did sit our waiter took forever to come to us and then he knocked over my full margarita all over me, which I was not holding against him until he charged me for the full margarita he knocked over and never replaced it. As far as food, the guac is good but all of the entrees people ordered at my table were sub par and over priced.
- NostalgiaBkwernerVIPDined on 5/29/2014Used to drink margaritas with work friends, many Thurs nights in my twenties. We would often go to El Rio Grande only a few blocks from the office. Went back just recently after many years, for dinner with a girlfriend. The food was great, fresh guacamole delicious, service excellent (we loved our waitress!), and very generous portions. It was as good or better than I remembered. Only drawback, I'm old now. Had no patience for the loud bar scene. If you want a quiet meal, make sure to request the dining side, much quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good NY Tex-mexThegoodlifeDined on 5/28/2014Probably the best Tex-Mex food in NYC, consistently good with a wide variety of choices. Excellent and strong margaritas. Service was good and the delivery of the food was timely. Only negative is that they are like many, many NY restaurants and crammed way too many tables into a small space, making it crowded and noisy. When I made the reservation, i always ask for a quiet table with some leg room. Not sure you're going to get that here. Outside seating will help that. Been ther several times, always consistently good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confused staffNLMAJTDined on 5/23/2014Daughter and I went in @ 5:30 for dinner. Security guard wanted to card my daughter. Hostess saved us said, guard was mistaken. Guard continued to card people. I mentioned that we had reservations when the hostess came back near our table. She stated that our reservations were on the "other side at Mexico." I was clueless as I didn't recall seeing a different restaurant name when I made the reservations. Another hostess walked us through the kitchen to the other side and sat us down. Then when we got to the other side, one of the staff members assumed that we wanted to sit in "Dan's section." What? This was the most unorganized restaurant that I've ever been to in NYC. The food was good despite all of the hiccups.
- Good food and a fun eveningTravelgoddessDined on 4/28/2014What's not to like, no complaints here, had a good experience.Special Features:
- Amazing Food!!Foodie45VIPDined on 3/21/2014The food is always delicious and consistant. This is definitely one of my favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Texas approvedTinaTDined on 2/28/2014I'm a Texas transplant and absolutely love food -- so I would definitely recommend this place as a NY tex-mex option. The salsa was real salsa and not just pico. We ordered the jalapenos stuffed with shrimp and it was delicious. Also, the enchiladas had fajita meat inside; rather than shredded meat -- all great! The margaritas were tasty too. Blood orange was my favorite.Special Features:
- went too far on the noisececileVIPDined on 2/22/2014went too far on the noise level question it was soooo noisy unable to enjoy the meal
- MEXICAN DELIGHTbuddiesVIPDined on 2/19/2014BEEN HERE SEVERAL TIMES AND THE FOOD IS ALWAYS CONSISTENT, PLENTIFUL AND FRESHLY MADE. GREAT NEIGHBORHOOD RESTAURANTSpecial Features:
- gr8angeDined on 2/6/2014Food was delicious and drinks were superbly mixed!!Special Features:
- Great food and drinks!Sav888VIPDined on 2/6/2014It's hard to find a place that really knows how to make a great margarita. The jalapeno one was amazing! Food was great, service was excellent.Special Features:
- Margaritas are a MUSTMeltroseDined on 1/14/2014Okay, this place is GREAT! Not only can you get yummy mexican food but you get the best Margaritas in town!!! Seriously, but BEWARE don't have too many or you wont remember getting home...lol so yummy and so dangerous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times, great margs!Amb123Dined on 12/31/2013We have been coming to Rio Grande consistently since moving to the City. Our most recent dinner experience was on New Years Eve 2013 (which was a fabulous meal and great way to end the year!!). The margaritas are so fun and the food is exceptional mexican fare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing beefNicCarDined on 12/14/2013When we arrived we were given a bowl of nachos with a selection of salsas,.When we were finished we were given a refill, thank god we didn't order starters,we would never have been able for dinner! The group at the table next to us ordered guacamole which the server made at their table, it looked so delicious I wished I had ordered it! We all (party of 4) ordered beef dishes: enchilada, burrito, skirt steak, tacos, and the beef literally melted in our mouths! It was so good! I had such an enjoyable meal I would highly recommend this restaurant,and the next time I am in Manhattan I will definitely be stopping by for some guacamole! Ps: when we got the bill there was no charge for the nachos and dips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Margaritaville!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 12/13/2013An excellent margarita and 4-5 star Mexican food. Service was excellent and very friendly. A great spot for any occasion. Very family friendly as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the guac!GershVIPDined on 11/23/2013Excellent reasonably priced Mexican food. The guacamole is a must, it's a tad expensive but you get a large portion and it's outstanding. Frozen margaritas also very good with many choices of flavors. My date and I both had enchiladas which were very good (she had seafood, I had steak).Special Features:
- Fun spotSweetMVIPDined on 11/21/2013Great Mexican spot located near grand central. One Margarita is enough! They could work on the decor a bit more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great guac!mer3qDined on 11/18/2013Had a lovely dinner here. Great flavored margaritas and delicious fresh-made guacamole. Service was fast and courteous, food was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is our neighborhood MexicanLuv2doWIneVIPDined on 11/15/2013This is our neighborhood Mexican place. The food and drinks are always good. The atmosphere is loud/lively.
- love italanDined on 11/1/2013been going to el rio grande for over 20 years and its always great...love the drinks food...miss the green dip with the chips...Special Features: