1123 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://elporronnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 207-8349
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 3:00pm - 11:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Basque, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Gonzalo "Mr.G" Bermeo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Ask your server for a demonstration of how the "porron" is used and then try it yourself! Impress your date or an entire party of friends!
A word from El Porron
Family-owned, Spanish restaurant, and gem of the UES, El Porron prides itself with serving classic and signature tapas in a casual elegant setting. An endless menu of perfect portions leaves your palate begging for more. With a wine list equally as impressive and just as much a part of the program as the cuisine, Mr. G and his son Diego Bermeo front of the house Manager/Wine Director will make you feel like you have slipped away to San Sebastian from the first bite to the last sip.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
El Porron - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
El Porron reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (18)notable wine list (11)romantic (10)special occasion (10)great for lunch (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A pleasant surpriseDDeanVIPDined on 11/18/2014My daughter and I had dinner here earlier this week. We didn't get tapas, but my scallop entree and her shrimp were awesome. Service was wonderful, and the wine was extra special. TRY IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best small bites ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/12/2014The best tapas since i visited Barcelona! Every dish we ordered was a gem. The chef himself helped us order the wine, and could not have been more gracious. I can't wait to go back and work my way through the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at El PorronMalkoDined on 10/12/2014Booked through Open Table for 2 for 20h30.Rapid service. Chose 4 cold & 4 hot tapas. Food was excellent . Not to be missed, absolutely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Flavorful TapasP1ckyDined on 10/1/2014Everything came swiftly, hot and deliciously flavored. Excellent dining experience in a very charming setting, with reasonable prices for the quality of the food! Service was polite and fast too. Our favorites were the Croquetas De Pollo, Gambas Al Ajillo (amazingly good! we kept the sauce to dip our bread in) and the entree of Tilapia Con Almendras which I recommend highly and would order again. We also ordered the Codorniz Asada Con Salsa De Frutas and Pimientos Del Piquillo (which were both quite tasty) and the Calamares Al Ajillo (Chipirones). The other entree we ordered was the Mariscada en Salsa Verde which was a very large portion and excellent for sharing- I especially liked the mussels, scallops, monkfish and shrimps in the combo.Special Features:
- Always great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014Always great food and service. Awesome sangria! Staff was very friendly and knowledgeable!Special Features:
- Traditional and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014I met several old friends here for Saturday lunch. The food was tasty, although not inspired. The atmosphere was casual and pleasant. The restaurant tolerated us lingering over lunch and a bottle of wine for hours.Special Features:
- LOVE THEIR TAPASevakVIPDined on 9/14/2014Consistently excellent and flavorful tapas...soft shell crabs are delicious new addition; can't wait for the squid ink rice to make its return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good DessertLindaVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I choose El Porron based on Open Table reviews and because it is a Spanish restaurant owned and operated by Spaniards. We were looking forward to the menu. I have to say our wait person was lovely, sweet and professional. In fact, all the staff was very nice and extremely professional. I just wish the food was as good as the staff. The only dish I can recommend is the dessert, it was a type of french toast with ice cream, and it was very good. The sardines were awful and tinny, the wine was terrible (the staff's recommendation (2nd bottle), the paella was dry and inedible. We drove in from Philadelphia to celebrate my husbands birthday and really wanted to enjoy the meal and were terribly disappointed.Special Features:
- Always amazingtacogirlVIPDined on 8/27/2014Every time i come here the food is amazing, the service is great, and the sangria is always delicious. One of my favorite restaurants in the city.Special Features:
- Know your Paella!PSPSVIPDined on 8/27/2014What is everyone raving about? Or do they simply not know what a genuine paella is like. Where was the saffron? Where was the crusty bottom that you scrape off the pan, which flavors the dish and adds texture. This rice was mushy and tasted pre-cooked, then plopped in the pan with other ingredients. The chorizos had no spice, and the chicken was in tiny, overcooked bits...not a hardy leg or identifiable part anywhere. Clams were overcooked and chewy. Mussels minuscule. Shrimp OK. Rest of the meal was ordinary but not an embarrassment.
- Cozy SpanishOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Friends turned us on to El Porron & we've been back 3 times introducing other friends to the restaurant. That says a lot , with so many restaurants in NY we only repeat the ones we really like. Love the broiled octopus tapas. I am a lover of seafood paella & can never pass it up when eating Spanish. El Porron makes a really good one, perfect rice. Portions are perfect for one person. Generous serving of seafood & just the right amount of rice. Lighting is low giving the restaurant a cozy romantic feeling. Even though small you never feel that people are sitting too close to youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently flavorful tapasevakVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great experience every time, love the new tapas of soft shell crabs and a combo of grilled squid/mushrooms/asparagus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tapas placelennyVIPDined on 8/10/2014the best tapas at a fair price with comfortable seating we've ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!!HappyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Are there kind of early in the day but the hostess was also the bartender and waitress. Really nice inside. Tasty food.Special Features:
- Upscale Tapas & moremidtownVIPDined on 8/2/2014Spanish, Catalan, no matter. Consistently good though service can be a bit slow at times. It can also be quite noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 226 reviews are from the El Porron reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Went to this restaurant for a girl's night out with friends. We ordered red and rose sangria, paella valencia and an array of tapas all to share. The food was delicious. The staff was attentive. Overall wonderful experience. Will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Wonderful once againYasminnyVIPDined on 7/26/2014They are consistently good! Authentic tapas, great wine list. Must have the jamon platter, albondigas, gambas al ajillo. The tortilla is moist and flavorful. The croquetas are weak. Overall, glad we went again.Special Features:
- The food was good but...AddiesDadVIPDined on 7/14/2014Overall we enjoyed our tapas very much at El Porron. The Jambon Iberica was excellent, as were the mushrooms and one of their "signature" dishes, the veal meatballs were excellent. My one complaint was the bread. In a city that is over-flowing with terrific bread services, El Porron's bread was comprised of cheap, tasteless super-market baguettes, This is shame because there were many sauces we wanted to mop up! Wine list was good, with some affordable Spanish options. We especially enjoyed the Traxis from Ribera del Duero
- that time a little bit downerTizLozVIPDined on 7/3/2014that time we had a poor service help so we did not had a real chance to enjoy the specials of the day, anyway the food is always very good and the location cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/30/2014El porron did not open until 5PM that day so could not eat thereI would recommend this to a friend.
- MandBVIPDined on 6/25/2014Very good tapas, especially the daily specials. Very good selection of Spanish wines. Good paella with lots of seafood but not enough crust on the rice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet spot to enjoy tapas in UESPakuChanNYDined on 6/15/2014My third visit with a friend and we always order various tapas offered here. Although the restaurant didn't have scallop this time, we enjoyed both hot and cold tapas, as well as sangria by a pitcher. We even got a complimentary sherry, too. May be because of the location, the place never seems to get noisy like other tapas places, and we could actually carry our conversation in civilized manner. Will come back again.Special Features:
- Excellent foodDaisyDined on 5/31/2014I've been to El Porron a few times before and always want to go back. This time we had a birthday dinner for a very good friend who's vegetarian. We ordered a lot of tapas and cleared all the plates down to the last drop of sauce. We all enjoyed the food very much and had a great time. Thanks El Porron! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Find!LIomayDined on 5/27/2014My family enjoyed a wonderful lunch here recently. Mario, the manager, could not have been more welcoming and congenial. The tapas menu was varied and so tasty. It enhanced our experience to hear some of the history and preparation of the dishes, as well as to try to master the technique of the Porron, the Spanish wine vessel, after which the restaurant was named. A memorable meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas dishesTECHNITEDined on 5/17/2014Great tapas dishes with a nice variety of tastes and flavors. Noise level a little highSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky Findgriff1024Dined on 5/16/2014While visiting NYC we were looking to try a Tapas Bar and Paella. We were standing in line to go into Dangerfield's Comedy Club and spotted El Porron's across the street. I looked them up on line, reviewed the feedback & menu and we decided to make reservations for the following night. As this was our first experience with Tapas & Paella, I don't have anything to compare it to. But, I can tell you the 3 Tapas plates we ordered (Garlic Shrimp, Quail and Octupus) were all excellent. The Paella was flavorful and had plenty of seafood, chicken and charizo. They have a very nice bar area and the seating arrangements accomodates tables for 2 as well as large group seating. Good service, Good food, Good atmosphere, so well worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our #1 Spanish RestaurantsaintmaeVIPDined on 5/11/2014Outstanding tapas and their seafood was amazing. The variety of mushrooms were "an out of body experience" My husband and I went for dinner on Mother's day. We will be going back many times. This is our Spanish Restaurant go to now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a Price...dcohenDined on 5/9/2014Food is really good but portions are small for the price. Yes i realize by definition Tapas is small plates but the price for the quantity is a little high. All is all a good neighboorhood spot.Special Features:
- diappointedchooseyVIPDined on 5/3/2014With the Zagat rating of 23, I expected this to be a foodie restaurant. It was so mediocre... all dishes lack flavor.. skip this one!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/2/2014Went here for a date on Friday night. Atmosphere is nice and intimate so definite plus points for that. Drinks were creative but didn't end up actually being that tasty. We had the meat and cheese plate which was okay but kind of stingy on the both the meat and cheese. The chorizo was great but the croquettes seemed premade and lacked anything special. Overall portions are small and yes it is tapas but more than we are used to. I guess it would not have mattered if the dishes were more memorable. For their own sake, they should serve everything on smaller plates, so it doesn't look so empty! Also, one waiter for the entire restaurant is kinda pushing it!Special Features:
- Maybe it was an off nightNelsonnycDined on 5/1/2014Was there on a date, and there was a huge private party. We ordered the octopus, Jamon, squid, mushrooms and meatballs. The food was very underwhelming. The kitchen may have been stretched, but I am not willing to give it another shot given the amount of other places to go for Tapas.
- Always ExcellentJoePVIPDined on 4/29/2014Excellent food, wine & service always. I come in from Pennsylvania to eat here. Always a consistent fine dining experience. All the people I have brought there with me love it and continue to go without me. Don't miss out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful little spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/21/2014We ate 6 tapas items and drank sangria...great way to enjoy this place. Only criticism was a couple of items were a bit too salty for usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capt MikeCaptainMike46VIPDined on 4/17/2014Quite satisfactory; good food... nice to share lots of small dishes.... a bit noisy (we were there on Thursday night).. all in all well worth a visit
- Food great - lag in serviceMissyCVIPDined on 4/17/2014This is a wonderful restaurant for flavor and variety - both tapas and entrees were superb. After a VERY long wait we finally were attended to and once the food was ordered everything flowed quickly and smoothly.Special Features:
- Friday NightNYJaDined on 4/11/2014Attended date dinner Friday night at El Porron. The menu provides numerous options for tasty Tapas dishes, wine tasting and sangria. Impeccable service, comforting ambiance and fantastic food preparation. My date and I turned a two hour dinner into a four hour conversation...not one hassle from staff to end the night (despite heavy turnover around us). Very attentive throughout the evening. Yes, our gratuity reflected such appreciation...great evening. Will most definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/4/2014Really enjoyed this place, we live in the neighborhood and only recently tried. Tapas is very much my style and I loved the decor of the restaurant. The food was good, and the waiters were nice. Looking forward to going back!Special Features:
- Best meal I've had in a while!tacogirlVIPDined on 3/26/2014Everything was amazing from the sangria, to the chicken croquettes, to the shrimp entree dinner I got. I loved it and will definitely be back! Even Chef G came out to say hello :) it was a great experience!Special Features:
- Very enjoyable!HJNYDined on 3/22/2014Had a light bite with a two other friends. We didn't eat or drink much, but we were treated like we were big spenders! Service was gracious and we weren't rushed - something I really appreciated. The best of our three tapas was the Chorizo - so flavorful with just a touch of heat. Manchego and scallops rounded out our choices. Both were very nice. We ordered churros and torrijas for dessert. I found the torrijas soggy but the churros with their chocolate dipping sauce were very good. I would return to this restaurant and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Food was quite delicious andkarthshanVIPDined on 3/21/2014Food was quite delicious and service was great. Try the paella - very tasty!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.