17 throckmorton ave.
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elpaseomillvalley.com/
- Phone: 4153880741x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Preston Clark
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Inquire for more information.
A word from El Paseo
In 2009 local Mill Valley residents Tyler Florence and Sammy Hagar partnered to take over the restaurant. Seeking to maintain the historic charm and integrity of the building and gardens, they planned and designed a complete restoration of the storied interior and exterior spaces.Continued
We are very excited to bring a local institution back to its former glory.
We are very excited to bring a local institution back to its former glory.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
El Paseo - Best Restaurants in Mill Valley ›
El Paseo reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)romantic (92)fit for foodies (83)neighborhood gem (67)notable wine list (53)great for outdoor dining (52)good for groups (26)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (6)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/27/2014Don't miss an opportunity to visit El Paseo - it's always a hit and fun experience!!Special Features:
- Solid Food & Spotty ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014From this Mill Valley standard, surprised with inconsistent table service. Food was solid although pork belly over prepared/ cooked. A lighter touch with salt would have been nice.Special Features:
- Very tasty but expensiveFizzleDined on 9/26/2014The food is great. But it is pricey. $19 hamburger, for example, was delicious.Special Features:
- good not greatsfosparkyDined on 9/24/2014kale salad with tomato was yummi and I had no real issues however, we had said we would have another glass of wine with our entree and even though the restaurant was not crowded we were nearly done with the entree. I ordered the Pork chop which obviously was good (not great) but maybe I am a bigger fan of cutting my own porkchop instead of having it sliced. My other guest enjoyed the red snapper. That said, its worth another try for meSpecial Features:
- El Paseo ReviewSimoneDined on 9/21/2014Normally, the fact that it took 45 minutes for the waiter to take our order would have annoyed us greatly. but we were there early and were celebrating a friend's birthday so we didn't mind. The food was excellent. The four of us shared two butter lettuce salads and the beet and fig salad -- all good. I had the scallops -- it was the perfect sized portion for me but I think anyone else would think it would have been too small. The other 3 had the lamb shanks and while they all really liked the flavor, the dish looked on the small side to me, especially considering the price ($32). Overall, pricey, and I'm not sure it was worth it. I wouldn't make a special trip to go there again but would if I happened to be in Mill Valley.Special Features:
- Fabulous & AccommodatingSaltingtheTofuDined on 9/20/2014I've dined at El Paseo a number of times, and I've never been disappointed. This time was no exception, however challenging it may have been for the wait staff. I can explain. I would consider myself a "foodie." I prefer to take recommendations based on what the staff thinks is special on the menu or wine list that day. My Aunt, who was my guest, is not. She's very particular, even carrying with her a laminated photo of a steak she cut out of a magazine a decade ago and had laminated. Not even joking. Not only did the staff take the request in stride, but they exceeded her (I'll call them ridiculous) expectations. Great food, but an even better sense of humor.Special Features:
- Always Special and ConsistentSoupLoverVIPDined on 9/19/2014A very special and romantic restaurant whose menu is imaginative, and whose preparations are superb! We have had the Cowboy steak on a number of occasions, each time cooked perfectly as ordered, serviced beautifully, with attentive wait service. The ambience cannot be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration!MDzineDined on 9/17/2014I had my birthday celebration last week (Wednesday.) We sat in a booth which was very comfortable We have eaten at this place before in the bar area and it was on a weekend. Our experience was that it was very busy, very noisy with tight quarters. We could not get reservations for the main dining room. I am so glad we gave it another try!!! A whole new experience during the week in the main dinning room! It was quiet, very romantic, great service and THE FOOD WAS AMAZING!Special Features:
- Not worth the time or moneyActiveDinersVIPDined on 9/16/2014This restaurant is not what Mill Valley wants or needs. The menu is HORRIBLE and, even though it calls itself a chop house it has very few selections for either beef or chops. On a Tuesday night there were very few people there......and rightly so. We left after having only appetizers and went around the corner to Bungalow 44 which had a short wait, was very active, and had a full and diverse menu. While there, we ran into another Mill Valley couple who said they disliked El Paseo and had stopped going there long ago. We have lived in Mill Valley for decades and are greatly disappointed. From our standpoint it is wasted space, and key space at that. As a Chop House, Tyler Florence could take lessons from Cole's Chop House in Napa.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/14/2014There's only one word to describe our dinner at El Paseo...WONDERFUL!!!!Special Features:
- PopoversRobWDined on 9/13/2014We were first served a Popover.. which looked and tasted as if it was from the day before, just re heated. They were chewy, and not crisp, as Popovers should be, I know, I make them, and have made them for years. Other than that, the food was great, and the Chocolate Coconut Cake was the best desert I have had any where. Of the 4 in my group I decided on the Bernaise Burger, I believe if you can make a good Burger, all else will be good as well. It was delicious.Special Features:
- skogrunnerDined on 9/13/2014I've lived in Mill Valley for 35 years, but this was my first visit to El Paseo, a Mill Valley institution. Service was outstanding, as good as I have ever witnessed at a restaurant. Prices are high. El Paseo has pretensions of being a first-class dining experience, with some hits and some misses. Among the hits, my wife says that her steak was the second-best steak she has had in her life. My scallops were excellently prepared as well. Among the misses, not all sauces work well with the dishes, and there are some creative but odd combinations of ingredients. In any case, you won't be bored by the food. Atmosphere is romantic, and perfect for an anniversary celebration or anything else special with your loved one. Great wine list.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceServiceIsKEYVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had a great dinner but was forgotten outside by server and needed to walk around the place a couple times to find her. Ordered a dessert that came to the table missing an important item, sorbet, but the server insisted the cream was the sorbet. I needed to get the menu and show her that it was not on the dish, and then she blamed it on the pastry chef. At that point half the dessert was gone and it should have been taken off the check. Good food but very poor and amateurish service for a restaurant this nice.Special Features:
- as advertisedJonhxDined on 9/12/2014read lots of spotty reviews before trying it for myself. pretty much lived up, and down, to what was being said. food was pretty solid, service was not. had an 8:45 reservation, wasn't seated until 9:20, and that happened only because i checked in again and seemed to 'remind' the host that we existed. no offer to pick up our round of drinks in the bar. french-accented waiter was super heavy-handed on the upselling of the $160 wagyu and exhibited a lot of 'tude when we opted for the $80 cowboy instead, despite ordering a $110 bottle of wine as well. sammy and tyler, might wanna check in during your next stopover. or maybe you don't care, which is pretty much the vibe.Special Features:
- So beautiful!sflondongalDined on 9/11/2014Such a gorgeous restaurant. We returned to it to celebrate my other half's 50th birthday and it did not disappoint. Would have preferred a better table as we'd booked a few months ago and noted it was his birthday, but other than that, the food was great. Wait staff perfectly pleasant but never came back to check on us after the food was served, other than to take our dessert order. At almost $100 per head spent, I would have liked a bit more service. But overall, the restaurant itself is so pretty and the food so amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014This is a different experience from the newer Mill Valley establishments that have overreached and haven't had service or ambiance to match the meal. El Paseo has it all: superb service from the moment of being greeted; outstanding and innovative cuisine; terrific wine list; and a magical setting.Special Features:
- An Annual Visit made ExquisiteDavenMarquishaDined on 9/6/2014This will be my 2nd review, since we visited El Paseo on our anniversary last year. What was nice was JoJo our fabulous server from last year remembered us, and we were treated like very special guests. We did note that a Saturday night is not like a Wednesday night, and the place was buzzing. We enjoyed the complimentary gazpacho and popovers but would have liked a 2nd try at the popovers (mmm!). Everyone enjoyed their entree choices; my only "complaint" if you can call it one, is that there was no single rib eye steak choice. They do offer a 32 oz. cowboy ribeye for two (but my wife loves their bacon wrapped filet mignon, so I was out of luck). Service was just outstanding, especially during a slammed Saturday night.Special Features:
- Charming and deliciousLoriDined on 9/2/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at El Paseo. The restaurant is charming and romantic. The service was excellent. The food was outstanding. We had the lamb shank and béarnaise burger with a side of creamed spinach and all dishes were prepared perfectly. I am looking forward to going back again soon. The wine list was impressive as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid b-day treatWorldDinerVIPDined on 9/1/2014My wife and daughter took me to El Paseo for my birthday. This is one of our favorite places in the bay area and we had another fine meal. My daughter and I had the Bernaise burgers (had been wanting to try for awhile) and the burgers and pommes frites were outstanding. My wife had the salmon, and while it was good, it was bit small (portion wise) and slightly dry. Panna Cotta for dessert was a home run. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charmingly DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014This lovely site serves up deliciously fresh and interesting food. I had an appetizer I've never seen before on any menu (baked avocado!) and a fish entre that was beautifully prepared. Service was excellent and meal was very reasonably priced. Definitely a delightful experience.Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinner at El Paseoglr1VIPDined on 8/24/2014Normally I would give a disappointing restaurant a second chance, but not this time. The service was mediocre - the glass of wine my husband ordered never arrived and it took us forever to get the waitress to collect our check. On the food front, the popovers were delectable and my husband's risotto tasty. My meal tasted as if the salt shaker had been dumped over it in the kitchen. By the time my dinner reappeared hot and tasty, my dining companion had long since finished his. Neither of us enjoyed watching the other sit and eat. The manager did politely comp my meal but then we had the waiting forever to pay fiasco. El Paseo is a lovely, romantic venue. But we won't be back or recommending it to others.Special Features:
- foodncharmVIPDined on 8/21/2014El Paseo has the most charm, wonderful service & great food! Very SPECIALSpecial Features:
- Good vibrations and foodlovelyevening4usDined on 8/19/2014Excellent rapport with server and host, who enjoyed tasting and evaluating the wines we brought. The salad and entrees were delicious, as were the desserts and appetizers. The ambience is very romantic, and the noise level was low. We could not hear the conversations at neighboring tables. The single-candle birthday treat for dessert was presented without unnecessary fanfare.Special Features:
- As Usual Excellent Food, but...Eichler4LoversVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were made to wait for over 20 minutes to be seated for an 8:15 reservation. Also, the maitre'd could try to be more welcoming. Also, it looked like several groups that came to the bar after us were seated before us...perhaps they had earlier reservations but seemed unlikely. While table service and the food is always excellent, the greeting at El Paseo in our experience is less than a warm welcome. Of course, we will continue to come back as it is one of the premier spots in Marin, and food and ambiance are special.Special Features:
- excellent meal in a lovely settingSFEatsDined on 8/16/2014My husband, best friend and I had dinner here on Saturday night and it was delicious. The atmosphere, service, quality of food and wine selection were all top notch. We will surely return soon.Special Features:
- Great but for the tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I've been going to El Paseo for 30 years and proposed to my wife there 9 years ago. We went last Saturday to celebrate our 9th anniversary. The food, wine, and service were excellent and why we always go to El Paseo. Unfortunately, our dinner was actually in the Wine Bar and it was incredibly noisey and un-romantic. Great restaurant but you need to specify where you sit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El PaseoJamesVIPDined on 8/16/2014Normally I would be glowing about El Paseo. But this time we were NOT happy. We had a table of six (translating to hundreds in sales). We sat outside in the patio, on a nice summer evening. Nearby us was a table of 6 adults whose children were allowed to run wild around the dining area, their screeching echoing in the adjoining passageway. It was like being in a schoolyard at recess. The staff was NO help, not a word was said to the parents as they talked among themselves with no regard for others. This went on for an HOUR Since the staff would say nothing I finally said to a parent "Please?". One parent took that as his opportunity to become confrontational. Had the staff done their job and addresses this problem. Our Dinner... RUINED!
- Love this restaurant!MTC72Dined on 8/16/2014We have been here 3 times and it has become our favorite restaurant in the Bay Area. The food is excellent and the service is outstanding. We had the 32oz Cowboy Ribeye with a couple of sides and it was well worth the price. We only ate half so we actually had 2 meals from it. Our only complaint is the price of a soda. I understand that focus for beverages will be on wines and other assorted alcohol, however, to pay $4 for an 8oz glass of soda that is filled with mostly ice is ridiculous! Also, they do not refill the soda for free, so we ended up paying $24. Considering that we ordered 2 appetizers, 2 desserts and the 32oz $80 Ribeye, sodas (that cost the restaurant very, very little) the refills should be free, but we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticambielooDined on 8/15/2014This place is so beautiful-- I would go there no matter what the food was like but the food does happen to be wonderful also. The service is impeccable. The only con is that the meals are on the smaller side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/13/2014We enjoyed it all! We had received lack luster reviews from friends, but had to try for ourselves. Everything was perfect. We will be back.Special Features:
- Bday dinnerMikeDined on 8/11/2014I had a fantastic dinner here for my birthday. Expensive but you get what you pay for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El paseo tpToddyguardDined on 8/10/2014El Paseo was absolutely fantastic. The service and food was great. The quality of the ingredient in our meals was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited choices for a chophouseMVDinoDined on 8/9/2014We went there for the famous porterhouse, which was not on the menu. Only two options for steak were a $120 filet or an $80 ribeye (two portion). They were also out of a few appetizers when we arrived -- 8:30 seating. We were excited for a great meal, but left a little disappointed.Special Features:
- Quaint and exceptionalMicheleDined on 8/8/2014This cozy spot in Mill Valley is simply excellent. The food, the service and the ambiance are at the very top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was really relaxing and romanticLucy90Dined on 8/5/2014The food was great. I can't remember the last time I went out for dinner and just relaxed. It's a very good restaurant for a romantic dinner date night or celebration. Every course we are was delicious and flavorful. My favorite was the bone marrow appetizer! Thank you for your wonderful service :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had expected morecatsnoutDined on 8/5/2014The salad, side and desert were excellent. The lamb shank was not - full of fat and covered with sauce. I even found a couple of bone chips. We had asked for a quiet table and were put in the lounge. There was no one at the bar so no noise coming from that part of the room. We had dressed for the occasion because it was our anniversary. It was disappointing that almost everyone in the room had on sneakers which was not the fault of the restaurant but i wondered if the other room would have been more upscale. Definitely not a SF experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014We had a reservation for 6:30 pm and it took until 8:00 pm to get the main course. Even though we had a nice time at the restaurant this was a big negative.Special Features:
- Quality Food in Enjoyable SettingsonofabakerDined on 8/4/2014Impressed with the ambiance, decor, and staff friendliness. Stated with baked avocado w/shrimp and jicama, cilantro and lime. Delicious. Followed with butter lettuce w/green goddess tarragon dressing. A highlight. My wife had the Berkshire pork chop with pork rinds and pork belly. Wonderful flavors, but pork was dry for my palette. I had a wonderful lamb shank-the best I have tasted. Braised to perfection. Finished with an outstanding raspberry panna cotta. Complimentary since we were celebrating our anniversary. We ate early on a Monday and I suspect the noise level goes up during busier time.Special Features:
- Kicked out for a fire next doorrebeccas99Dined on 8/3/2014to no fault of the restaurant itself, there was a fire next door and we were asked to leave. before we would have my friend's birthday dessert with candle. the restaurant was closed for everything by the time we got back in and they comp'd nothing for us due to this issue. pretty bad.Special Features:
- Always a culinary treat !BonnieH200Dined on 8/2/2014My husband took me for to El Paseo for my birthday. We had a fabulous meal and I couldn't wait to return. I was dreaming about the popovers served with dinner and couldn't stop thinking about the deviled eggs. We returned for our anniversary and once again weren't disappointed. The food and service are always outstanding. The setting is romantic and the seasonal ingredients will delight the palate of any foodie. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features: