17 throckmorton ave.
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elpaseomillvalley.com/
- Phone: (415) 388-0741
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Preston Clark
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Inquire for more information.
A word from El Paseo
In 2009 local Mill Valley residents Tyler Florence and Sammy Hagar partnered to take over the restaurant. Seeking to maintain the historic charm and integrity of the building and gardens, they planned and designed a complete restoration of the storied interior and exterior spaces.Continued
We are very excited to bring a local institution back to its former glory.
We are very excited to bring a local institution back to its former glory.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
El Paseo - Best Restaurants in Mill Valley ›
El Paseo reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (109)special occasion (107)fit for foodies (95)neighborhood gem (79)great for outdoor dining (65)notable wine list (60)good for groups (32)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (7)scenic view (5)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good food, not the most consistent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/25/2014When we arrived we had to wait almost 15 minutes for our reservation, and even then we had to go back and find the host, he seemed to have forgotten us. He was very nice and overall you can tell that the staff has had a lot of service training. Dinner was very good, no complaints about the food. Well, except the popovers, which were served before food arrived, were a bit too thin and dry, but served with very good butter. But as the evening progressed, our service got slower and slower. Finally our dinner plates were cleared and we sat so long at an empty table that I had to flag down a runner to ask for our waiter. When he finally arrived, we ordered dessert and asked for the check at the same time. But it took a very long time to receive dessert and he still didn't bring the check until after dessert. Overall, it was a good experience, but the service needs to be more consistent. We'll go back but not for a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Paseo Rip OffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014I ordered a NY Strip, which appeared at the bottom of the menu without a price. I thought they just ran out of space on the menu and that the price would be reasonable. Well, I was naive. It cost $140 dollars, more than double anything else on the menu. To say that I felt taken advantage of would be a gross understatement. The waiter should have advised me.
- Okay food. Great Atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/24/2014El Paseo is a gem. It's a beautiful, all brick, romantic restaurant tucked away in a winding old alley in Mill Valley. Wonderful ambiance, but the food is marginal and pricey. If I'm paying that much for a steak it better melt like butter. Speaking of butter, the mashed potatoes were out of this world. Wine list is good. Chef made us caramel sauce as a special request and that was a nice touch, but still, overall, too much money for too little food wow factor. Service was very good.
- Great food, great ambiance, ZERO serviceScottypDined on 11/23/2014Not much one can say about the food except WOW! From salds to desert the food was the star, which was a good thing. The service was HORRIBLE. We sat for 55 minutes before our salads arrived. Drinks were not refilled until we asked and the whole experience was ruined by our server who seemed annoyed we were there.
- The food was outstanding! Lovely experience.MeandmydogsDined on 11/22/2014The restaurant is beautiful and feels very cozy. We ordered several small plates to share, which was a great way to taste several dishes. One of my favorites was the Morrocon lamb, with the perfect combination of tangy, sweet and savory. Also the red snapper with the chorizo paella was terrific. Definitely the place to go for a special occasion. Their version of bread pudding was unique and very good, with a perfect balance of sweet and tangy. Yogurt ice cream was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night night outAndyPDined on 11/21/2014My wife and I would like to thank your establishment and the staff for a wonderful night. Service was wonderful and very helpful. Meal came at a leisurely pace but, appropriate. The filet was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normally an amazing place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/14/2014I will always love this Restaraunt, but sadly they missed the mark this last visit. We waited longer than usual for our food and wine order, and felt the waiter didn't have an interest giving great service just good. Food was good, but a couple of items were served cold. We will be back but left feeling frustrated this time vs other amazing dining experiences at El Paseo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were disappointed in the food and service.KukanaVIPDined on 11/14/2014Very spendy for poor quality of food. I doubt we will return in the future.
- DickDined on 11/10/2014Consistently excellent. What's often overlooked is the lovely opportunity for outdoor dining. On a mild to warm night, the backline courtyards are splendid.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014Was rather surprised and disappointed that they were out of three entrees by the 2nd seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing atmosphere, good foodLive2EatDined on 11/8/2014I'm a big Tyler Florence fan, so I had high hopes for El Paseo. The overall "vibe" of the restaurant did not disappoint! Such a charming atmosphere - cozy and so romantic. Lots of exposed brick, gas lanterns - such a lovely feel. The food was delicious! The menu definitely matches the warmth and charm of the restaurant itself. The maitre d was incredibly gracious and accommodating when we asked to be moved to a different table further away from the bar. Unfortunately our waiter was not engaging or informative. He seemed rushed and uninterested which is probably the main reason I wasn't truly "wowed" by the dining experience. If we lived in the area, we'd give this beautiful restaurant another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- camilleVIPDined on 11/8/2014Restaurant is lovely, but we had a hiccup when we showed up 15 minutes early for a 6:15pm reservation. We were directed to the bar where there was no seating available, even though the restaurant was mostly empty. There were enough open tables which could accommodate the 6pm reservations and the 6:15 reservations, which they did after we hovered around pleading for a table. Why not just seat us? It was a negative way to start the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticmarindinerDined on 11/6/2014Love, Love, Love this restaurant. Chef Mike Ward hits every dish out of the park. My only regret is that my appetite isn't large enough to try everything on the menu. Everything I've tried has been fantastic. This is my absolute favorite restaurant in the bay area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The food, atmosphere and ambience were fantastic. I had a great experience here and would love to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The steak and frites was delicious and squash soup was amazing and wine suggestion for our dinner paired well with our entree. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable." Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Love el paseo- but don't eat in barKatat49Dined on 10/25/2014We have been here several times and love it- on 10-25 we were early for our reservation and ready to wait; the host offered a table which turned out to be next to the bar.. Bad idea. The waitress hurried us ridiculously til we called her on it, then acted shocked ; took wine away before empty and really destroyed this celebratory birthday dinner . The noise from the bar got worse thru out dinner -we should have turned down the early table. Very disappointing. The food was great as always but the service and atmosphere was inferior- for the first time in our experiences there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RadhaDined on 10/23/2014This is a lovely place to have excellent food and feel incredibly well taken care of. It is a family favorite for our huge extended family. We had our daughters wedding here and it was amazing. All the details are/were perfect!Special Features:
- CaroleDined on 10/22/2014Our waiter struggled to handle all his tables (too many assigned to him?) but was pleasant and recommended very nice wine.Special Features:
- Sensitive and attentive staffMikeDined on 10/19/2014The manager and our waiter were very helpful and patient, and charming, with our large group. And the food was delicious. My out of town guests were impressed by the various aspects of the several dining areas.Special Features:
- Anniversary CelebrationAmbianceHunterSFVIPDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I celebrated our one-year wedding anniversary here last Saturday and I couldn't have asked for a better spot. From the exposed brick and warm candlelight, to the absolutely delicious food and friendly service, it was truly a perfect evening. Highly recommend for a special romantic occasion.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014A true gem in Mill Valley, from the food to the ambiance. Wonderful!Special Features:
- Food - Service = MehTamalGuyDined on 10/18/2014We chose to come here for my wifes birthday, having just moved into MV last year. Everything seemed fine until the waitress asked if she could bring our main course even though we hadnt finished our salads yet because we were talking. When I asked the manager to slow it down, the service from the waitress became less than acceptaple for a nice restaurant and we had to ask for every thing, including water after that. With a toddler at home and few opportunities to go out, I would not want to waste my time or money going here again despite the food being amazing. For the money, I would like the opportunity and time to enjoy our meal, without being rushed. We passed on drinks in the bar because of this.Special Features:
- Intimate but priceyMrli1Dined on 10/17/2014Great spot, great food, great service but be prepared to spend some money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El PaseoHungryDined on 10/17/2014Very intimate romantic dining. Our dinner was outstanding. The risotto was outrageous!Special Features:
- Service terrible, food mediocreMvleslieannVIPDined on 10/16/2014We went to El Paseo for our 31'st wedding anniversary and considering the service we were lucky to get out before our 32d. While the pastrami bone marrow and duck wings appetizers and lemon cream puffs desert were excellent the main course $80 cowboy rib eye was bland and flavorless. And we had to wait about 45 minutes to get the appetizers, 30 minutes to get the main course and probably another 60 minutes to get desert. And the waiter never apologized for the delays, he simply gave a shrug as thought "this is how things are." All in all dinner took about 3 hours when half that time would have been OK. And with a $70 bottle of wine this marathon dining experience cost about $250 for 2.
- MemorableJaneDined on 10/15/2014I took my special someone for their birthday to El Paseo as a surprise because he was a big fan of Sammy Hagar & the restaurant is part owned by him, along with Chef Tyler Florence. I mentioned this when I confirmed our reservations & when we got there, they gave us both a big surprise by seating us at the owner's table! Right where Sammy sits when he eats there. Needless to say, we were stoked about it & the whole dining experience was just fantastic. From the food, the wine & the ambiance. We couldn't ask for a more romantic & special dinner. An experience we will never forget. Thank you El Paseo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night spot!DeliKingDined on 10/15/2014My wife and I shared the NY Strip, pumpkin soup, and Mac&Cheese. Each item was sooooo good! The buser's were great and refilled my water glass at least 10 times. The ambience was excellent and super romantic. I enjoyed the music in the background as well as the New Orleans style brick work/lighting. Only downfall of the whole evening was, nobody said happy birthday to my wife and there was no free dessert or drink. I specifically stated it was her b day in my reservation, but oh well... Lastly, wine list was great and beer list was okay. I really feel a fancy place like this needs to sell hard liqour though. All n all, great meal and great time and I'll definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not accommodating.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014When I tried to change the reservation from 6:30 to 7. The restaurant said that because they were busy only 6:45 worked. When we got there the place was empty and was only half full through our entire dinner. We thought they could have been more accommodating.
- A French FairytalekyylllaaaaDined on 10/12/2014We went here for our one year anniversary and had a magical time. Everyone from the hostess to the person clearing our plates made us feel so welcomed and special! And the food was delicious! Hands down best chops we've ever had, the chef was even kind enough to send us some soup on the house as we waited for our steaks! We will be sure to be back for every anniversary here on out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kimkDined on 10/10/2014the service was impeccable. the kitchen accommodated our special needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday celebrationBarbDined on 10/8/2014Mill Valley was happening on the night I celebrated a big birthday at El Paseo. The film festival was in full swing, and the town was packed. But all that did not affect the excellent service, food, and ambiance our party of seven experienced. All of us rated the dinner a five-star event.Special Features:
- Always flawed…disappointing...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/7/2014IF you are going JUST for drinks and snacks, this is a cozy and charming place though considered overpriced even in the local community.. Unfortunately this will be the last time we go back (after 3-4 visits since opening.) Somehow even the simplest things are missed, just not done "right." Salad gritty and under-dressed, as well as quite small. (Pet peeve: why do so many restaurants skimp on a few lettuce leaves?) And why did the waitress never ask how it was but two different bussers asked if I was done with the salad even though I clearly hadn't finished. Wine pour seems minimal for the price. Perfect crispy frites with steak were swimming on top of a large amount of (tasty) sauce, but made the fries instantly soggy. Too bad. Oh well.
- Praise the lardpraisethellardDined on 10/7/2014Dining at El Paseo last night was a real treat. I figure when a fine dining restaurant leads off it's entrées with a hamburger, one has to try it. I am so glad I did! The combination of meats was so juicy and flavorful & the additional blue cheese, aioli, artisan bacon, and amazing pickles made it a perfect hamburger. We opened with the deviled eggs… outstanding. My wife had the walnut, mushroom and truffle risotto...she was in heaven. Our party had a limited time to eat and they actually opened up the restaurant 15 minutes early to accommodate our needs and we had never dined there before. Kudos to El Paseo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VFL1985Dined on 10/3/2014It has to be special to leave the multitudes of great restaurants in San Fran and it delivers. Love Mill Valley as well!Special Features:
- Love this placeelsalilliVIPDined on 10/3/2014how can you go wrong if you love steak! Its fabulous. I've been there several times and have sat at tables in the dining room, at the bar as well as outside. All three provide a different dining experience and all are fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/27/2014Don't miss an opportunity to visit El Paseo - it's always a hit and fun experience!!Special Features:
- Solid Food & Spotty ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014From this Mill Valley standard, surprised with inconsistent table service. Food was solid although pork belly over prepared/ cooked. A lighter touch with salt would have been nice.Special Features:
- Very tasty but expensiveFizzleDined on 9/26/2014The food is great. But it is pricey. $19 hamburger, for example, was delicious.Special Features:
- good not greatsfosparkyDined on 9/24/2014kale salad with tomato was yummi and I had no real issues however, we had said we would have another glass of wine with our entree and even though the restaurant was not crowded we were nearly done with the entree. I ordered the Pork chop which obviously was good (not great) but maybe I am a bigger fan of cutting my own porkchop instead of having it sliced. My other guest enjoyed the red snapper. That said, its worth another try for meSpecial Features:
- El Paseo ReviewSimoneDined on 9/21/2014Normally, the fact that it took 45 minutes for the waiter to take our order would have annoyed us greatly. but we were there early and were celebrating a friend's birthday so we didn't mind. The food was excellent. The four of us shared two butter lettuce salads and the beet and fig salad -- all good. I had the scallops -- it was the perfect sized portion for me but I think anyone else would think it would have been too small. The other 3 had the lamb shanks and while they all really liked the flavor, the dish looked on the small side to me, especially considering the price ($32). Overall, pricey, and I'm not sure it was worth it. I wouldn't make a special trip to go there again but would if I happened to be in Mill Valley.Special Features: