17 throckmorton ave.
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elpaseomillvalley.com/
- Phone: 4153880741x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Preston Clark
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Inquire for more information.
A word from El Paseo
In 2009 local Mill Valley residents Tyler Florence and Sammy Hagar partnered to take over the restaurant. Seeking to maintain the historic charm and integrity of the building and gardens, they planned and designed a complete restoration of the storied interior and exterior spaces.Continued
We are very excited to bring a local institution back to its former glory.
We are very excited to bring a local institution back to its former glory.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
El Paseo - Best Restaurants in Mill Valley ›
El Paseo reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (99)special occasion (98)fit for foodies (84)neighborhood gem (71)notable wine list (56)great for outdoor dining (54)good for groups (24)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (6)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Anniversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I celebrated our one-year wedding anniversary here last Saturday and I couldn't have asked for a better spot. From the exposed brick and warm candlelight, to the absolutely delicious food and friendly service, it was truly a perfect evening. Highly recommend for a special romantic occasion.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014A true gem in Mill Valley, from the food to the ambiance. Wonderful!Special Features:
- Food - Service = MehOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014We chose to come here for my wifes birthday, having just moved into MV last year. Everything seemed fine until the waitress asked if she could bring our main course even though we hadnt finished our salads yet because we were talking. When I asked the manager to slow it down, the service from the waitress became less than acceptaple for a nice restaurant and we had to ask for every thing, including water after that. With a toddler at home and few opportunities to go out, I would not want to waste my time or money going here again despite the food being amazing. For the money, I would like the opportunity and time to enjoy our meal, without being rushed. We passed on drinks in the bar because of this.Special Features:
- Intimate but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Great spot, great food, great service but be prepared to spend some money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El PaseoHungryDined on 10/17/2014Very intimate romantic dining. Our dinner was outstanding. The risotto was outrageous!Special Features:
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014I took my special someone for their birthday to El Paseo as a surprise because he was a big fan of Sammy Hagar & the restaurant is part owned by him, along with Chef Tyler Florence. I mentioned this when I confirmed our reservations & when we got there, they gave us both a big surprise by seating us at the owner's table! Right where Sammy sits when he eats there. Needless to say, we were stoked about it & the whole dining experience was just fantastic. From the food, the wine & the ambiance. We couldn't ask for a more romantic & special dinner. An experience we will never forget. Thank you El Paseo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night spot!DeliKingDined on 10/15/2014My wife and I shared the NY Strip, pumpkin soup, and Mac&Cheese. Each item was sooooo good! The buser's were great and refilled my water glass at least 10 times. The ambience was excellent and super romantic. I enjoyed the music in the background as well as the New Orleans style brick work/lighting. Only downfall of the whole evening was, nobody said happy birthday to my wife and there was no free dessert or drink. I specifically stated it was her b day in my reservation, but oh well... Lastly, wine list was great and beer list was okay. I really feel a fancy place like this needs to sell hard liqour though. All n all, great meal and great time and I'll definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not accommodating.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014When I tried to change the reservation from 6:30 to 7. The restaurant said that because they were busy only 6:45 worked. When we got there the place was empty and was only half full through our entire dinner. We thought they could have been more accommodating.
- A French FairytalekyylllaaaaDined on 10/12/2014We went here for our one year anniversary and had a magical time. Everyone from the hostess to the person clearing our plates made us feel so welcomed and special! And the food was delicious! Hands down best chops we've ever had, the chef was even kind enough to send us some soup on the house as we waited for our steaks! We will be sure to be back for every anniversary here on out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kimkDined on 10/10/2014the service was impeccable. the kitchen accommodated our special needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday celebrationBarbDined on 10/8/2014Mill Valley was happening on the night I celebrated a big birthday at El Paseo. The film festival was in full swing, and the town was packed. But all that did not affect the excellent service, food, and ambiance our party of seven experienced. All of us rated the dinner a five-star event.Special Features:
- Always flawed…disappointing...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/7/2014IF you are going JUST for drinks and snacks, this is a cozy and charming place though considered overpriced even in the local community.. Unfortunately this will be the last time we go back (after 3-4 visits since opening.) Somehow even the simplest things are missed, just not done "right." Salad gritty and under-dressed, as well as quite small. (Pet peeve: why do so many restaurants skimp on a few lettuce leaves?) And why did the waitress never ask how it was but two different bussers asked if I was done with the salad even though I clearly hadn't finished. Wine pour seems minimal for the price. Perfect crispy frites with steak were swimming on top of a large amount of (tasty) sauce, but made the fries instantly soggy. Too bad. Oh well.
- Praise the lardpraisethellardDined on 10/7/2014Dining at El Paseo last night was a real treat. I figure when a fine dining restaurant leads off it's entrées with a hamburger, one has to try it. I am so glad I did! The combination of meats was so juicy and flavorful & the additional blue cheese, aioli, artisan bacon, and amazing pickles made it a perfect hamburger. We opened with the deviled eggs… outstanding. My wife had the walnut, mushroom and truffle risotto...she was in heaven. Our party had a limited time to eat and they actually opened up the restaurant 15 minutes early to accommodate our needs and we had never dined there before. Kudos to El Paseo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VFL1985Dined on 10/3/2014It has to be special to leave the multitudes of great restaurants in San Fran and it delivers. Love Mill Valley as well!Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/27/2014Don't miss an opportunity to visit El Paseo - it's always a hit and fun experience!!Special Features:
- Solid Food & Spotty ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014From this Mill Valley standard, surprised with inconsistent table service. Food was solid although pork belly over prepared/ cooked. A lighter touch with salt would have been nice.Special Features:
- Very tasty but expensiveFizzleDined on 9/26/2014The food is great. But it is pricey. $19 hamburger, for example, was delicious.Special Features:
- good not greatsfosparkyDined on 9/24/2014kale salad with tomato was yummi and I had no real issues however, we had said we would have another glass of wine with our entree and even though the restaurant was not crowded we were nearly done with the entree. I ordered the Pork chop which obviously was good (not great) but maybe I am a bigger fan of cutting my own porkchop instead of having it sliced. My other guest enjoyed the red snapper. That said, its worth another try for meSpecial Features:
- El Paseo ReviewSimoneDined on 9/21/2014Normally, the fact that it took 45 minutes for the waiter to take our order would have annoyed us greatly. but we were there early and were celebrating a friend's birthday so we didn't mind. The food was excellent. The four of us shared two butter lettuce salads and the beet and fig salad -- all good. I had the scallops -- it was the perfect sized portion for me but I think anyone else would think it would have been too small. The other 3 had the lamb shanks and while they all really liked the flavor, the dish looked on the small side to me, especially considering the price ($32). Overall, pricey, and I'm not sure it was worth it. I wouldn't make a special trip to go there again but would if I happened to be in Mill Valley.Special Features:
- Fabulous & AccommodatingSaltingtheTofuDined on 9/20/2014I've dined at El Paseo a number of times, and I've never been disappointed. This time was no exception, however challenging it may have been for the wait staff. I can explain. I would consider myself a "foodie." I prefer to take recommendations based on what the staff thinks is special on the menu or wine list that day. My Aunt, who was my guest, is not. She's very particular, even carrying with her a laminated photo of a steak she cut out of a magazine a decade ago and had laminated. Not even joking. Not only did the staff take the request in stride, but they exceeded her (I'll call them ridiculous) expectations. Great food, but an even better sense of humor.Special Features:
- Always Special and ConsistentSoupLoverVIPDined on 9/19/2014A very special and romantic restaurant whose menu is imaginative, and whose preparations are superb! We have had the Cowboy steak on a number of occasions, each time cooked perfectly as ordered, serviced beautifully, with attentive wait service. The ambience cannot be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration!MDzineDined on 9/17/2014I had my birthday celebration last week (Wednesday.) We sat in a booth which was very comfortable We have eaten at this place before in the bar area and it was on a weekend. Our experience was that it was very busy, very noisy with tight quarters. We could not get reservations for the main dining room. I am so glad we gave it another try!!! A whole new experience during the week in the main dinning room! It was quiet, very romantic, great service and THE FOOD WAS AMAZING!Special Features:
- Not worth the time or moneyActiveDinersVIPDined on 9/16/2014This restaurant is not what Mill Valley wants or needs. The menu is HORRIBLE and, even though it calls itself a chop house it has very few selections for either beef or chops. On a Tuesday night there were very few people there......and rightly so. We left after having only appetizers and went around the corner to Bungalow 44 which had a short wait, was very active, and had a full and diverse menu. While there, we ran into another Mill Valley couple who said they disliked El Paseo and had stopped going there long ago. We have lived in Mill Valley for decades and are greatly disappointed. From our standpoint it is wasted space, and key space at that. As a Chop House, Tyler Florence could take lessons from Cole's Chop House in Napa.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/14/2014There's only one word to describe our dinner at El Paseo...WONDERFUL!!!!Special Features:
- PopoversRobWDined on 9/13/2014We were first served a Popover.. which looked and tasted as if it was from the day before, just re heated. They were chewy, and not crisp, as Popovers should be, I know, I make them, and have made them for years. Other than that, the food was great, and the Chocolate Coconut Cake was the best desert I have had any where. Of the 4 in my group I decided on the Bernaise Burger, I believe if you can make a good Burger, all else will be good as well. It was delicious.Special Features:
- skogrunnerDined on 9/13/2014I've lived in Mill Valley for 35 years, but this was my first visit to El Paseo, a Mill Valley institution. Service was outstanding, as good as I have ever witnessed at a restaurant. Prices are high. El Paseo has pretensions of being a first-class dining experience, with some hits and some misses. Among the hits, my wife says that her steak was the second-best steak she has had in her life. My scallops were excellently prepared as well. Among the misses, not all sauces work well with the dishes, and there are some creative but odd combinations of ingredients. In any case, you won't be bored by the food. Atmosphere is romantic, and perfect for an anniversary celebration or anything else special with your loved one. Great wine list.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceServiceIsKEYVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had a great dinner but was forgotten outside by server and needed to walk around the place a couple times to find her. Ordered a dessert that came to the table missing an important item, sorbet, but the server insisted the cream was the sorbet. I needed to get the menu and show her that it was not on the dish, and then she blamed it on the pastry chef. At that point half the dessert was gone and it should have been taken off the check. Good food but very poor and amateurish service for a restaurant this nice.Special Features:
- as advertisedJonhxDined on 9/12/2014read lots of spotty reviews before trying it for myself. pretty much lived up, and down, to what was being said. food was pretty solid, service was not. had an 8:45 reservation, wasn't seated until 9:20, and that happened only because i checked in again and seemed to 'remind' the host that we existed. no offer to pick up our round of drinks in the bar. french-accented waiter was super heavy-handed on the upselling of the $160 wagyu and exhibited a lot of 'tude when we opted for the $80 cowboy instead, despite ordering a $110 bottle of wine as well. sammy and tyler, might wanna check in during your next stopover. or maybe you don't care, which is pretty much the vibe.Special Features:
- So beautiful!sflondongalDined on 9/11/2014Such a gorgeous restaurant. We returned to it to celebrate my other half's 50th birthday and it did not disappoint. Would have preferred a better table as we'd booked a few months ago and noted it was his birthday, but other than that, the food was great. Wait staff perfectly pleasant but never came back to check on us after the food was served, other than to take our dessert order. At almost $100 per head spent, I would have liked a bit more service. But overall, the restaurant itself is so pretty and the food so amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014This is a different experience from the newer Mill Valley establishments that have overreached and haven't had service or ambiance to match the meal. El Paseo has it all: superb service from the moment of being greeted; outstanding and innovative cuisine; terrific wine list; and a magical setting.Special Features:
- An Annual Visit made ExquisiteDavenMarquishaDined on 9/6/2014This will be my 2nd review, since we visited El Paseo on our anniversary last year. What was nice was JoJo our fabulous server from last year remembered us, and we were treated like very special guests. We did note that a Saturday night is not like a Wednesday night, and the place was buzzing. We enjoyed the complimentary gazpacho and popovers but would have liked a 2nd try at the popovers (mmm!). Everyone enjoyed their entree choices; my only "complaint" if you can call it one, is that there was no single rib eye steak choice. They do offer a 32 oz. cowboy ribeye for two (but my wife loves their bacon wrapped filet mignon, so I was out of luck). Service was just outstanding, especially during a slammed Saturday night.Special Features:
- Charming and deliciousLoriDined on 9/2/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at El Paseo. The restaurant is charming and romantic. The service was excellent. The food was outstanding. We had the lamb shank and béarnaise burger with a side of creamed spinach and all dishes were prepared perfectly. I am looking forward to going back again soon. The wine list was impressive as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid b-day treatWorldDinerVIPDined on 9/1/2014My wife and daughter took me to El Paseo for my birthday. This is one of our favorite places in the bay area and we had another fine meal. My daughter and I had the Bernaise burgers (had been wanting to try for awhile) and the burgers and pommes frites were outstanding. My wife had the salmon, and while it was good, it was bit small (portion wise) and slightly dry. Panna Cotta for dessert was a home run. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charmingly DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014This lovely site serves up deliciously fresh and interesting food. I had an appetizer I've never seen before on any menu (baked avocado!) and a fish entre that was beautifully prepared. Service was excellent and meal was very reasonably priced. Definitely a delightful experience.Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinner at El Paseoglr1VIPDined on 8/24/2014Normally I would give a disappointing restaurant a second chance, but not this time. The service was mediocre - the glass of wine my husband ordered never arrived and it took us forever to get the waitress to collect our check. On the food front, the popovers were delectable and my husband's risotto tasty. My meal tasted as if the salt shaker had been dumped over it in the kitchen. By the time my dinner reappeared hot and tasty, my dining companion had long since finished his. Neither of us enjoyed watching the other sit and eat. The manager did politely comp my meal but then we had the waiting forever to pay fiasco. El Paseo is a lovely, romantic venue. But we won't be back or recommending it to others.Special Features:
- foodncharmVIPDined on 8/21/2014El Paseo has the most charm, wonderful service & great food! Very SPECIALSpecial Features:
- Good vibrations and foodlovelyevening4usDined on 8/19/2014Excellent rapport with server and host, who enjoyed tasting and evaluating the wines we brought. The salad and entrees were delicious, as were the desserts and appetizers. The ambience is very romantic, and the noise level was low. We could not hear the conversations at neighboring tables. The single-candle birthday treat for dessert was presented without unnecessary fanfare.Special Features:
- As Usual Excellent Food, but...Eichler4LoversVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were made to wait for over 20 minutes to be seated for an 8:15 reservation. Also, the maitre'd could try to be more welcoming. Also, it looked like several groups that came to the bar after us were seated before us...perhaps they had earlier reservations but seemed unlikely. While table service and the food is always excellent, the greeting at El Paseo in our experience is less than a warm welcome. Of course, we will continue to come back as it is one of the premier spots in Marin, and food and ambiance are special.Special Features:
- excellent meal in a lovely settingSFEatsDined on 8/16/2014My husband, best friend and I had dinner here on Saturday night and it was delicious. The atmosphere, service, quality of food and wine selection were all top notch. We will surely return soon.Special Features:
- Great but for the tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I've been going to El Paseo for 30 years and proposed to my wife there 9 years ago. We went last Saturday to celebrate our 9th anniversary. The food, wine, and service were excellent and why we always go to El Paseo. Unfortunately, our dinner was actually in the Wine Bar and it was incredibly noisey and un-romantic. Great restaurant but you need to specify where you sit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.