17 throckmorton ave.
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elpaseomillvalley.com/
- Phone: 4153880741x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Preston Clark
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Inquire for more information.
A word from El Paseo
In 2009 local Mill Valley residents Tyler Florence and Sammy Hagar partnered to take over the restaurant. Seeking to maintain the historic charm and integrity of the building and gardens, they planned and designed a complete restoration of the storied interior and exterior spaces.Continued
We are very excited to bring a local institution back to its former glory.
We are very excited to bring a local institution back to its former glory.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
El Paseo - Best Restaurants in Mill Valley ›
El Paseo reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (90)special occasion (90)fit for foodies (76)neighborhood gem (63)notable wine list (48)great for outdoor dining (46)good for groups (24)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (8)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Anniversary Dinner at El Paseoglr1VIPDined on 8/24/2014Normally I would give a disappointing restaurant a second chance, but not this time. The service was mediocre - the glass of wine my husband ordered never arrived and it took us forever to get the waitress to collect our check. On the food front, the popovers were delectable and my husband's risotto tasty. My meal tasted as if the salt shaker had been dumped over it in the kitchen. By the time my dinner reappeared hot and tasty, my dining companion had long since finished his. Neither of us enjoyed watching the other sit and eat. The manager did politely comp my meal but then we had the waiting forever to pay fiasco. El Paseo is a lovely, romantic venue. But we won't be back or recommending it to others.Special Features:
- foodncharmVIPDined on 8/21/2014El Paseo has the most charm, wonderful service & great food! Very SPECIALSpecial Features:
- Good vibrations and foodlovelyevening4usDined on 8/19/2014Excellent rapport with server and host, who enjoyed tasting and evaluating the wines we brought. The salad and entrees were delicious, as were the desserts and appetizers. The ambience is very romantic, and the noise level was low. We could not hear the conversations at neighboring tables. The single-candle birthday treat for dessert was presented without unnecessary fanfare.Special Features:
- As Usual Excellent Food, but...Eichler4LoversVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were made to wait for over 20 minutes to be seated for an 8:15 reservation. Also, the maitre'd could try to be more welcoming. Also, it looked like several groups that came to the bar after us were seated before us...perhaps they had earlier reservations but seemed unlikely. While table service and the food is always excellent, the greeting at El Paseo in our experience is less than a warm welcome. Of course, we will continue to come back as it is one of the premier spots in Marin, and food and ambiance are special.Special Features:
- excellent meal in a lovely settingSFEatsDined on 8/16/2014My husband, best friend and I had dinner here on Saturday night and it was delicious. The atmosphere, service, quality of food and wine selection were all top notch. We will surely return soon.Special Features:
- Great but for the tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I've been going to El Paseo for 30 years and proposed to my wife there 9 years ago. We went last Saturday to celebrate our 9th anniversary. The food, wine, and service were excellent and why we always go to El Paseo. Unfortunately, our dinner was actually in the Wine Bar and it was incredibly noisey and un-romantic. Great restaurant but you need to specify where you sit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El PaseoJamesVIPDined on 8/16/2014Normally I would be glowing about El Paseo. But this time we were NOT happy. We had a table of six (translating to hundreds in sales). We sat outside in the patio, on a nice summer evening. Nearby us was a table of 6 adults whose children were allowed to run wild around the dining area, their screeching echoing in the adjoining passageway. It was like being in a schoolyard at recess. The staff was NO help, not a word was said to the parents as they talked among themselves with no regard for others. This went on for an HOUR Since the staff would say nothing I finally said to a parent "Please?". One parent took that as his opportunity to become confrontational. Had the staff done their job and addresses this problem. Our Dinner... RUINED!
- Love this restaurant!MTC72Dined on 8/16/2014We have been here 3 times and it has become our favorite restaurant in the Bay Area. The food is excellent and the service is outstanding. We had the 32oz Cowboy Ribeye with a couple of sides and it was well worth the price. We only ate half so we actually had 2 meals from it. Our only complaint is the price of a soda. I understand that focus for beverages will be on wines and other assorted alcohol, however, to pay $4 for an 8oz glass of soda that is filled with mostly ice is ridiculous! Also, they do not refill the soda for free, so we ended up paying $24. Considering that we ordered 2 appetizers, 2 desserts and the 32oz $80 Ribeye, sodas (that cost the restaurant very, very little) the refills should be free, but we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticambielooDined on 8/15/2014This place is so beautiful-- I would go there no matter what the food was like but the food does happen to be wonderful also. The service is impeccable. The only con is that the meals are on the smaller side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/13/2014We enjoyed it all! We had received lack luster reviews from friends, but had to try for ourselves. Everything was perfect. We will be back.Special Features:
- Bday dinnerMikeDined on 8/11/2014I had a fantastic dinner here for my birthday. Expensive but you get what you pay for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El paseo tpToddyguardDined on 8/10/2014El Paseo was absolutely fantastic. The service and food was great. The quality of the ingredient in our meals was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited choices for a chophouseMVDinoDined on 8/9/2014We went there for the famous porterhouse, which was not on the menu. Only two options for steak were a $120 filet or an $80 ribeye (two portion). They were also out of a few appetizers when we arrived -- 8:30 seating. We were excited for a great meal, but left a little disappointed.Special Features:
- Quaint and exceptionalMicheleDined on 8/8/2014This cozy spot in Mill Valley is simply excellent. The food, the service and the ambiance are at the very top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was really relaxing and romanticLucy90Dined on 8/5/2014The food was great. I can't remember the last time I went out for dinner and just relaxed. It's a very good restaurant for a romantic dinner date night or celebration. Every course we are was delicious and flavorful. My favorite was the bone marrow appetizer! Thank you for your wonderful service :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had expected morecatsnoutDined on 8/5/2014The salad, side and desert were excellent. The lamb shank was not - full of fat and covered with sauce. I even found a couple of bone chips. We had asked for a quiet table and were put in the lounge. There was no one at the bar so no noise coming from that part of the room. We had dressed for the occasion because it was our anniversary. It was disappointing that almost everyone in the room had on sneakers which was not the fault of the restaurant but i wondered if the other room would have been more upscale. Definitely not a SF experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014We had a reservation for 6:30 pm and it took until 8:00 pm to get the main course. Even though we had a nice time at the restaurant this was a big negative.Special Features:
- Quality Food in Enjoyable SettingsonofabakerDined on 8/4/2014Impressed with the ambiance, decor, and staff friendliness. Stated with baked avocado w/shrimp and jicama, cilantro and lime. Delicious. Followed with butter lettuce w/green goddess tarragon dressing. A highlight. My wife had the Berkshire pork chop with pork rinds and pork belly. Wonderful flavors, but pork was dry for my palette. I had a wonderful lamb shank-the best I have tasted. Braised to perfection. Finished with an outstanding raspberry panna cotta. Complimentary since we were celebrating our anniversary. We ate early on a Monday and I suspect the noise level goes up during busier time.Special Features:
- Kicked out for a fire next doorrebeccas99Dined on 8/3/2014to no fault of the restaurant itself, there was a fire next door and we were asked to leave. before we would have my friend's birthday dessert with candle. the restaurant was closed for everything by the time we got back in and they comp'd nothing for us due to this issue. pretty bad.Special Features:
- Always a culinary treat !BonnieH200Dined on 8/2/2014My husband took me for to El Paseo for my birthday. We had a fabulous meal and I couldn't wait to return. I was dreaming about the popovers served with dinner and couldn't stop thinking about the deviled eggs. We returned for our anniversary and once again weren't disappointed. The food and service are always outstanding. The setting is romantic and the seasonal ingredients will delight the palate of any foodie. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Was execting so much moreMarinFoodieDined on 8/1/2014Front and bar service were excellent, but our wait service was slow and unattentive. My wine glass stood empty for over 20 mintutes before someone asked if I would like another. Food was just ok. We left disappointed.
- I'll be backchrisVIPDined on 8/1/2014Some of the best service at a restaurant we've had in a while. Everyone, from the server to the person bringing the food and the bread, was empowered and had knowledge about the food. Great attitudes as well. Food was great, too. Enough said.Special Features:
- Major DisappointimentCiscoDined on 7/30/2014A few years ago I had a memorable evening at El Paseo and returned for that reason to celebrate an anniversary with friends. What a let-down. The ambiance has deflated from uplifting to flat. After an hour long wait, the scallops arrived cold and over-salted and were returned to the kitchen. The roasted corn risotto was tepid and gloppy. The wait staff was embarrassed and apologized however the Maitre d' was disinterested and dismissive. All of this added up to a very expensive, bad dining experience. We will most definitely not be back.
- Charmingly good experienceBBelichickDined on 7/27/2014Not doing steak house kind of restaurants was turned around by this experience at El Paseo. Wonderfully quiet and charming with quality food and service made it a pleasant dining experience for three friends to talk at length without intrusions or any breaks in good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great DisappointmentPartyofThreeDined on 7/27/2014The popovers were very dry and tasteless. After seeing tables that arrived after us being served I asked the Host where our food was. We only had entres so to wait 40 minutes is absurd The side of smashed potatoes were not smashed, the mashed potatoes were ordinary, the pork chop had additions of pork chips and fried pork belly....OVERKILL??? The lamb shank was way too salty. There was no appology for the delay, no extra indulgence for being overlooked and a poor display of craft. I definitely would NOT return.
- ONE OF MARIN'S BEST . . . .FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant is very romantic, located in an old brick building covered in ivy (downtown Mill Valley) that's just oozing with charm. We started with the DEVILED EGGS with ham, potato crisps and mustard seed ($10) this was very good * STEAK FRITES, a Bar steak with roasted onions, truffle fries and watercress ($32) my wife said this was prepared perfectly and was one of the best she's had * BERKSHIRE SMOKED PORK CHOP with nectarine & fig mostarda, chicharrón ($35 ) this was good (a little dry) but a far cry from my favorite Pork Chop at Boulevard Restaurant in S.F. * We had a few glasses of the 2006 Côtes Decastillan Château Joanin Becot - Bordeaux France ($17 per glass) which was incredible. We'd recommend you visit and enjoy yourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and RusticTravelerDined on 7/22/2014I went with two friends. Some dishes were excellent, but others fell flat. The wine was good, but expensive. The service was patchy and the restaurant was noisy. I may return, but not at peak dining times.Special Features:
- Great NY StripranallDined on 7/18/2014I do not usually order NY strips as it is not my particular favorite cut, but I was tempted by the description the waiter provided and Im glad I pulled the trigger. It was an outstanding steak. My girlfriends braised lamb shank was also excellent, altogether a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Our dinner party was comprised of 3 adults and 1 child. The food was outstanding along with attentive service. My steak was prepared exactly as I instructed. The ambiance was perfect. We all enjoyed the experience. I highly recommend El Paseo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was busier than expectedJiminSanRafaelDined on 7/3/2014We went back to El Paseo after many years for our anniversary they day before July 4th. The food was very good however they appeared short on wait staff. I don't thing they anticipated they number of people that showed up without reservations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014It has been a while since we had been there. We used to think the food was good, but it has certainly slipped. I had the scallops and they were covered in some kind of heavy red sauce. There was so much red sauce that I could not tell a scallop from a potato. The prices were high and the food disappointing.
- Flawless!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/1/2014Service was impeccable. Knowledgable and attentive from the server choosing my wine, to the ones clearing my plates, to making decisions on my course selection. Food was obviously prepared with love and devotion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely but warmN1ngsterDined on 6/28/2014The food and ambience were lovely but I was uncomfortably warm and really just wanted to get out of there by the end of the meal. Portions were not enormous and the food delicious and cooked to requested degree of doneness. All in all a very nice dinner and reasonable prices, but I will wait til it's cooler to go again.Special Features:
- Excellent steaksHatsDined on 6/26/2014We (my wife and I) had the 72oz steak, the smashed, herb potatoes and the beet salad. The medium cooked steak was by far the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We so wanted to love love this plceLopakaVIPDined on 6/22/2014Took my folks and my daughter here for grad night. Wanted something special. Hate to put negative stuff on the web - so I won't. read what others have said - totally true despite being in the first dinner seating. Highlight was the salads..Special Features:
- Somewhat DisappointingDebbyDined on 6/21/2014This is our 2nd experience with El Paseo. The first time was fabulous! This time-not so much. We drove 2 hours with friends to have a dining experience at Tyler's place and arrive early enough for a cocktail in the bar before dinner. The bartender seemed bored that we were there-not friendly or outgoing. Our server seemed as though she was forcing a smile the couple of times she actually tried to smile. The place was busy but not that busy! We didn't get the feeling she was overwhelmed but also didn't get the feeling she wanted to be there. It was our friends first time there-she is a huge Tyler fan. My husband and I were disappointed it wasn't the great experience of our first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Expected more comfort food feel - not petite with flair. For the price, snapper appetizer had color, right tones and tastes together, but looked like a jumbled mess on plate. Oysters Rockefeller was nice, but overpowered by spinach. Creamed spinach was overly salty. Beets were great. Pork Chop was great. Overall value could have been better in order to get us to return anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but not greatfoodandwineatnineDined on 6/20/2014I came here to check out Tyler Florence's restaurant as I love cooking his recipes. My friend and I shared the Oysters Rockefeller as an appetizer - they were excellent and featured a nice chunk of bacon on top of the perfect mound of warm spinach and of course the oyster. Very nicely done. We moved on to the pork chop which had excellent flavor and a nice smokey quality that added to the flavors. We ordered macaroni and cheese which was cheesy but bland - they should have used a smoked gouda or a sharper cheese and added some truffles or another flavor to give some distinction...disappointing. We also ordered salads which were good but not very interesting - no caesar on the menu which seems to be a staple in a chophouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going away party for DaughterDineat9Dined on 6/17/2014We were greeted by David, the manager who I have known over the years. The service was excellent as was the food. The noise level quite tolerable. We enjoyed ourselves immensely. The table next to us are friends so we shared that each of our daughters were moving back east. The music fit the restaurant to a tee. I would highly recommend it for special occasions as the prices are steep but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service correctedNalrah100Dined on 6/15/2014Our waiter was terrible. Never refilled our wine, forgot a side dish and brought it when we were done with our meal. Spoke to manager David and he was great. He took good care of us after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.