El Nuevo Rodeo
2709 E. Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55406Neighborhood:
Regional MexicanPrice: $30 and under
El Nuevo Rodeo
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elnuevorodeorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6127216808
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30 AM - 9:30 PM
Friday - Sunday: 11:30 AM - 3:30 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Regional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Alejandro Becerra Rojas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering menus and pricing available upon request by calling (612)728-0101. Ask for Alex or Maya when calling for catering! We also rent the ballroom facility out for private events and parties. More information can be found on our website under our "Catering and Venue Rental" tab.
- Private Party Facilities: El Nuevo Rodeo has three beautiful areas with lots of charm and personality for private dinning to suit large, medium, or small groups. Our talented staff will work to make your event a success. Our catering options are limitless as are the ways in which we can combine the spaces to make it your own
- Private Party Contact: Maya Santamaria 8779252995
- Entertainment: On the first floor restaurant three flat screens and a digital juke box play Latin American music videos and sports while our second floor restaurant/ballroom is Minnesota’s premiere Latin concert venue bringing Latin America's biggest stars to its stage. The "it spot" for people watching in the Latin community, Latinos come dressed to the 9's to see their favorite artists perform live--from Grammy winning stars to the hottest new acts topping the charts! Full bar, food and VIP service make this elegant venue the choice for a hot night out, Latin style! It’s just like being in Mexico!
- Cross Street: 27th Avenue S.
- Public Transit: We are two blocks East of the Hiawatha Light Rail Station! Don't drink and drive! Hop on the train, instead!
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: US Bank generously shares their parking with El Nuevo Rodeo during peek hours, but during off-peek hours, plenty of off-street parking is available around the Oddfellows Building where we are located.
A word from El Nuevo Rodeo
El Nuevo Rodeo's Chef-driven menus quickly made it the place to be for the Latino community in Minnesota. Today, El Nuevo Rodeo is now getting attention from the mainstream community as the best Mexican food in town.Its cuisine has redefined expectations for the foodie community with our authentic from-scratch cooking, gourmet Mexican cuisine, and festive atmosphere. Our award-winning dishes remain faithful to their traditional roots while incorporating regional accents and inspired innovation. You will know just what we are talking about when you try our Pineapple-Chipotle Margarita or our Guacamole en Molcajete, made in a traditional lava-rock mortar and prepared table-side. Our culinary creations offers homage to original Mexican dishes made from scratch each day. Hand made tortillas, tamales and sauces create the foundation for our seasonal specials. We invite you to embark upon a journey into Mexico's gastronomical world and experience our passion for the flavors of Mexico.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Nuevo Rodeo reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)good for groups (1)special occasion (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Great restaurantLet86Dined on 6/22/2014I had a great experience at this restaurant. We had a really large party of 14 and they did a great job of accommodating our food and drinks. The food was excellent and affordable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Out of the way and the service a bit slow but the food was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 77 reviews are from the El Nuevo Rodeo reviews archive.
- Authentic & FunCricketteDined on 5/3/2014We went here recently for my mom's birthday celebration - excellent food at amazing prices. They cook meat in banana leaves, everything was fresh and tasted authentic. It's a little bit of Mexico right in the Uptown area! Try the guava margarhita, you will not be disappointed! The server was pleasant & helpful with choosing from their excellent menu. Seriously, I cannot recommend this place enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is greatDianeDined on 2/14/2014The tableside guacamole is the best! As is everything. The service is the best! Love going there as often as we can. My sister from California thought Minnesota didn't have good Mexican restaurants until we took her there on her last visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Nuevo Rodeo is one of theDaGovVIPDined on 11/9/2013El Nuevo Rodeo is one of the best values in Minneapolis. For less than $20 (although it was during happy hour), we got all the food we could eat, and all the drink we could handle. Very authentic, very tasty, very good value. This place is definitely worth the few-block drive from Uptown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/14/2013At first, when we entered there was a strong smell of disinfectant which was a bit distracting. However, I am pleased that we chose to ignore it and stayed for dinner. The odor faded and the food was fabulous! This restaurant easily eclipses my former favorite Mexican restaurant for authenticity. Everything was very fresh with strong distinctive flavors! There were so many things on the menu that we wanted to try that I look forward to returning to sample additional dishes!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cochinita Pibil!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2013I would drive back to the City to experience this dish - Chochinita Pibil again in a heartbeat! It is slow roasted pork marinated in an achiote citrus paste. The flavor was incredible. We had a marvelous waitress too. Other foods that rated highly - the steak and chicken fajitas and the chicken with mole sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodforallweknowDined on 6/16/2013The guacamole is amazing. I also love the chile rellenos. Get the chocolate crumb dessert...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/13/2013The food was really good! We took our children and they loved it too. We ordered this huge plate of meat. It included beef ribs, pork, beef strips, chicken, and chorizo. It was so good! My husband ordered the Mole and the waitress came back and told us that the cooks said it wasn't quite right. I was impressed with this! The waitress also told us that they did have REALLY good mole. We will definitely go back for it!Special Features:
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2013The food was good and filling, so we ended up taking a lot home because we couldn't finish it all. I do NOT recommend the coffee. It was Folger's instant. The waitress seemed confused and forgot things like giving us napkins, but she was so nice I didn't mind too much. The outdoor seating was nice, but noisy because it is on Lake Street. Overall an enjoyable experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chilaquiles! I get minelizlovestoeatVIPDined on 5/24/2013Great chilaquiles! I get mine with eggs instead of meat. Great margaritas and kids menu. The only thing i'd wish for is that chips and salsa should be free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day lunchDkolDined on 5/12/2013Selected el Nuevo rodeo because it was a part of the open table family. Not a good choice, service was terrible and food was not much better
- Doesn't serve brunch anymoreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013We chose this venue for brunch based on their menu on the Open Table app, but they no longer serve brunch. They also didn't appear to have enough people on staff, so for most of our visit they had one waitress scurrying around for all the diners in the place. Even with these drawbacks, when the food came, it was quite tasty, so I wouldn't avoid going there again for Mexican fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not open on Mothers Day 11amstillhungryDined on 5/12/2013Opentable allowed reservations to be placed at 11am Mothers Day. Silly me I didn't call the restaurant to verify. Showed up to restaurant only to discover they were not open yet. Suffice to say did not go over well with mother.
- Good food, poor MargaritasJosephVIPDined on 5/9/2013I went here for dinner with my mother for her birthday, per her request. I think they make some of the best Mexican food in Minnesota. Not because they are amazing, but because Minnesota is very lacking in quality Mexican restaurant options. I like that they have some authentic mexican options, not just tacos, burritos, fajitas, enchiladas that all mexican resturants in America have. Unfortunately, for the restuarant being so slow that weekday evening, the waitress was very unattentive. Also, my margarita was very sub-par. It tasted like premade syrup, not like fresh squeezed lime juice, tequila, and orange liquior or whatever else is typically added. Although on the small side, I enjoyed the flan for dessert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had the tableside guacamoleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Had the tableside guacamole n carne asade...yummy. Salsas sere good too. Sefvice a big slow..but food made up for it.Special Features:
- The food was very good butmsp1Dined on 4/6/2013The food was very good but the service was unacceptable. The server was very kind and polite but extremely forgetful and slow.Special Features:
- Great restaurant! Good foodlizlovestoeatVIPDined on 3/16/2013Great restaurant! Good food and good service. Kids menu and the staff even sang happy birthday, which it seems like so few restaurants do nowadays.Special Features:
- Try the mole. Come for theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/3/2013Try the mole. Come for the food but bring your patience. More than once, I've waited at table more than ten minutes to be greeted by server, then slow drink service if needs to be mixed and this trip almost 15 minutes to retrieve credit card to pay bill. Also my open table reservations are always cancelled even if show up.Special Features:
- Great Food but Service Need WorkDanSDined on 2/16/2013As others have noted the food was excellent, the margaritas were CRAZY small and the service was inexcusably poor. We ordered a tasty cheese app dish and asked for chorizo, which the server forgot. No biggie but when the app came we had no silverware. I asked the host/manager for some and, instead of getting it for us, he just told our busy server who never brought silverware. I eventually grabbed some off an empty table. We later ordered chips and salsa. After ten minutes with no chips and no server we asked another server if she could bring them to us. Again, instead of doing so, she told our server who was the bartender at the time. No chips ever came. Couple other missteps but the entrees were delicious. Server was very nice tho...Special Features:
- Never againHappyDined on 2/15/2013First of all, I used a Living Social coupon for this event because I had never been here before and this was a good way to try it out. Unfortunately the restaurant did not explain the concept of the Living Social coupon to any of their staff. Because of the language barrier between myself and the staff, I spent a great deal of time trying to explain why I should not be charged for the items that were appearing on my bill and even had to pull up the Living Social website on my cell phone to show them proof. That was embarressing and stressful because they were not quiet about it. Next, the restaurant thermometer was set at 64 degrees (I looked). Everyone in the restaurant except the wait staff had their coats on. Food was ok.
- Probably one of the best MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2013Probably one of the best Mexican restaurants in Minneapolis.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2013Delicious food and extremely friendly service. Bonus: dance club upstairs at night, ladies get in free before 11 I believe. Dance the night away and come down for some amazing food before or after!Special Features:
- Great scallop ceviche. FlightTomBDined on 1/26/2013Great scallop ceviche. Flight of tequilas was a nice touch. Tilapia was very fresh and had a wonderful sauce. Good value to try a new restaurant.Special Features:
- We thought the drink menuClodneyDined on 1/19/2013We thought the drink menu was very imaginative, and the food was not the normal run of the mill Mexican, but we felt the execution was a little hit or miss.Special Features:
- The food here was great, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2013The food here was great, and very reasonably priced! When we got there we were a little skeptical because it was not busy at all. But the decor is fun and inviting, the service was friendly and efficient, and food was tasty and well prepared. We could find no reason for it to not be busy on a Friday evening!Special Features:
- Slow service. The margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/3/2013Slow service. The margaritas were really small. All of the food was really spicy.Special Features:
- Let's just say that the thoughtGerryVIPDined on 12/31/2012Let's just say that the thought of eating the food there was frightening. We ended up leaving. The smell was awful and everyone in our party after looking at the menu and then looking at the staff that would be cooking it didn't leave us with much enthusiasm for eating there.
- one of the best Mexican restaurant'OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012one of the best Mexican restaurant's I've eaten at, ever.Special Features:
- Food is excellent. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2012Food is excellent. Service is friendly, but pretty slow. They have some interesting cocktails, but for the price, you'd think they'd be a bit stronger. Oh well. Still worth a visit.Special Features:
- LOVE IT despite the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/30/2012This is a neighborhood restaurant that is AWESOME!! The food is always great tasting and well presented. The portions are large. The only downfall is that the service can be spotty.Special Features:
- Looking for authentic MexicanlizlovestoeatVIPDined on 11/17/2012Looking for authentic Mexican food? This place has it! I love the chilaquiles here! So yummy. Plus, their Pineapple chipotle margarita is really good. I wish they'd bring back the guava-jalapeno one they used to have but I'm happy with the pineapple one.Special Features:
- Great food, no flair.FoodLoverVIPDined on 11/11/2012Booked El Nuevo Rodeo for brunch on Sunday. We were the only customers for a good hour, probably due to the fact that they don't always open for brunch, according to our server. Because of that, they only had one physical brunch menu and only half of the items were available. Even with all the missteps (an incorrect order, multiple asks for items we had ordered, etc.), we really enjoyed the meal. Two of us got huevos rancheros (though only one had actually ordered it...) and one ordered carne asada chilequiles. The food was incredible, particularly the chilequiles! The Bloody Maria's (made with tequila, instead of vodka), were also delish, though overly simple in their presentation. Delicious Mexican food, little to no ambiance.Special Features:
- The food was authentic andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2012The food was authentic and delicious. A rare find in the middle of the country. Service was friendly and knowledgeable. The atmosphere was expected -nothing fancy but clean. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- The website describes theOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/6/2012The website describes the menu as "chef-driven." Though the dishes sound appealing, no one in our party was satisfied with what they ordered. The margaritas were tasty. The table side guacamole (merely stirred at the table) was more onion than avocado. The beef in the fajita was very tough and should have been more flavorful. The tres leches cake was a disappointment since it was obviously not made on site and neither the cake nor the frosting were anything special. We dine out a lot and were excited to try a new place but were ultimately disappointed.
- Reminded us of the neighborhoodFoodie20VIPDined on 9/20/2012Reminded us of the neighborhood Mexican restaurants in Chicago, glad to find this in MinneapolisSpecial Features:
- Great food, slow service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2012Food was very good and really have that ethnic flavor. Kudos to the chef ,was very tasty. But, the service was so slow that even though there were at that time afew tables, it took them forever to bring all requests to the table, even dessert. The joke was they went to buy the ingredients for the flan... If you have all the time to lose in a nice conversation, go and have lunch with no rush. Food is really good. Maybe should try their take outs.Special Features:
- Authentic MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2012We love the authentic Mexican food. This restaurant is a favorite of ours. The service is usually terrific, but this time there were seven of us and it wasn't so great. We will be back and we have recommended it to others.Special Features:
- This was the second time myOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2012This was the second time my family and I have eaten at El Nuevo and we enjoyed it as much as the first time. We were there on a late Sunday afternoon and it was very quiet and the service was very good and attentive. They have a large, interesting menu ranging from the traditional Mexican restaurant fare to several house specialty entrees that were very tasty and interesting. The menu is so wide ranging that I would be surprised if a diner couldn't find several interesting choices. I had the Carne Asada and my wife had the Pollo Con Mole Pablano which were both fantastic. Their Mole is rich and flavorful. If you like tequila or unique interesting drinks they have a big selection to choose from. All in all a very good experience.Special Features:
- Last week when it came downOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2012Last week when it came down to celebrating my Anniversary, I was thinking low-key, great Mexican food, and good reviews when I chose to make a reservation for two at Nuevo Rodeo. Don't believe the other reviews. On the week night that we had attended, not only did we receive poor service, there was little apology given to us from the server, and absolutely none by the owners (who were seated right next to us during the entire span of our stay, and I know for sure that they were aware of our disappointment- maybe they couldn't see passed their young daughter who was running around the restaurant, literally, to notice their unhappy patrons) Our server got my order wrong twice, was unaccommodating and charged my card twice. NEVER EAT HERE!