3450 Lyndale Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elmesonbistro.net/
- Phone: 6128228062
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Hector Ruiz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering services offered for private parties, special occasions, etc. Contact Erin or Hector for more information @612-822-8062.
- Entertainment: Live Cuban Music on Friday & Saturday nights 7:00pm-9:30pm - Occasionally Live Flamenco Music & Dancing on Saturday nights
A word from El Meson
El Meson Spanish Caribbean Bistro, serving a Blend of Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Spanish cuisine. Try the tasty tapas and a carafe of homemade sangria, or try the famous paella with a bottle of Spanish Rioja. Whatever the occasion, visit El Meson, A vibrant locally owned restaurant that proudly provides high quality cuisine & service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Meson reviews from OpenTable diners
- As always, food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2012As always, food was excellent and service was over the top!Special Features:
- El Meson is a solid date spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2012El Meson is a solid date spot. The food and the ambiance are warm and inviting. The flavors are savory and comforting and the service is very straight forward. The wine list offers good price points and the overall feeling is very warm.Special Features:
- Tasty Tasty!MNWandererDined on 10/5/2012All of our food was really good - we especially liked the chorizo with artichoke & onion small plate, but really enjoyed the olives and croquetas as well. The sangria was tasty and the scallops and red snapper were both excellent.Special Features:
- Four of us had a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/3/2012Four of us had a wonderful dinner. We each had something different and everyone's food was just excellent. We will be back!Special Features:
- Server brought bill withoutOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2012Server brought bill without offering dessert or coffee...very tacky.
- LOVE this restaurant! Themomof2Dined on 9/29/2012LOVE this restaurant! The ambiance and food are second to none! :)Special Features:
- missing waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2012We ate at ElMeson on a Wednesday night and it was quiet which was fine. The food was good not great. The seafood bouillabaisse was tasty but the scallops were a bit soggy and limp. Wine by the glass; there were three choices of red, one was past its prime. Most disaapointing was the service, it was not particularly friendly and by the end of the meal our watier had all but disappeared and another cleared our plates and brought the bill. Cafe Ena is a much better choice.
- El Meson is a MUST!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2012El Meson offers an array of foods with complex flavors. The ingredients taste fresh and are infused in every bite. If you are looking for a great lunch buffet, then look no further. The quality of food in their buffet cannot be beat! Or maybe you are looking for a local gem for dinner? We went to El Meson for a date night and we would recommend it to anyone! The Paella Valencia is well worth the time it takes to make, and the atmosphere is very inviting!Special Features:
- Traditionally a "birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2012Traditionally a "birthday dinner for my wife" go-to spot, went this time with my in-laws who were in town from Costa Rica. Love the food, as usual, and got the thumbs up from the in-laws, so an all-around win! Ceviche and tostones were excellent as a starter and the paella was fabulous as usual. Sangria also hit the spot! A dining experience not soon forgotten!Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2012We really enjoyed their Date-night special (Tuesday nights). Salad of blood orange vinegrette, strawberries, pineapple, cucumbers,spicy pecans, and mixed greens - fabulous mix of flavors. Main entree was Paella Valencia - again great flavors (not a huge serving like many paellas but just perfect for the two of us). Great garlic bread. Key Lime Pie for dessert. Again, really good. Great service (thanks Jose!). Want to go back to try some of their regular menu items next. Note the date night special seems to be a web-advertised special so if you go for it, you need to ask for it.Special Features:
- excellent food, terrific waitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012excellent food, terrific wait staff, fair prices. One note, I cannot understand why parents bring loud young children to expensive restaurants. The kids don't appreciate the food, their noise distracts other diners and most parents think it's cute. I don't. Keep your kid at home. My $100 dinner was interrupted by loud screeching kids. Why do parents do this?Special Features:
- El Meson es muy bueno!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/1/2012It was such a perfect night to visit El Meson. The guitarist and flamenco dancer were the extra touches for the night. The 3 friends with me ordered Arroz con pollo, and I order the shrimp jambalaya. It was their first time there and from their plates it confirmed that they enjoyed it fully! My shrimp was cooked nicely and the sauce for the jambalaya had just enough heat that had my brow glistening. The booths provide an pseudo-seclusion where you can still have an intimate conversation with friends.Special Features:
- Great little restaurant servingOCdinerVIPDined on 8/25/2012Great little restaurant serving delicious Latin food at good prices. The three of us shared several tapas and an entree and we had some Sangria - under $100.Special Features:
- I have wanted to take my twoJipatroVIPDined on 8/25/2012I have wanted to take my two adult sons to this restaurant for a year. We had a wonderful time. We shared appetizers, and the all seafood paella. It was really good. Next time they come to town, that is on their list. In the past they have been luke warm about Minneapolis restaurants, but I think I have convinced them that we have many wonderful neighborhood bistros and cafes.Special Features:
- Food was delicious and theRobbieDined on 8/25/2012Food was delicious and the flaminco dancing and classical guitar were wonderful.Special Features:
- Unfortunatelt, the scallopOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2012Unfortunatelt, the scallop dish was too salty! The pork loin was excellent as were the appetizers. The Rioja was an excellent wine special.
- A cozy neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2012A cozy neighborhood restaurant in the heart of the LynLake neighborhood. The outdoor seating is pleasant and good for people watching. The service was perfect and the food was great. A broad palate of excellent Spanish favorites. The flan was exquisite! We will definitely be returning to try more of their menu.Special Features:
- Our first visit here. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2012Our first visit here. The inside of the restaurant is pleasant but simple. The service was very attentive,quick and friendly. The food was prepared with a careful balance of flavors and we liked every item we ordered. Definitely a place to go back to.Special Features:
- An unassuming place in anOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2012An unassuming place in an uptown neighborhood, it has wonderful Spanish-Caribbean food and good friendly service too. Want to go back to try more things on the menu.Special Features:
- Viva El Meson!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2012Food was delicious. Service was excellent and friendly. I was allowed to bring my dog in the patio area. A classy neighborhood restaurant, yet down to earth and relaxed.Special Features:
- I took my fiance to El MesonOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/10/2012I took my fiance to El Meson for her birthday. It had a great atmosphere and the booths tucked into the walls was a very romantic and private setting. We both ordered fish and it was excellent. Can't wait to go again and bring friends!Special Features:
- Great find! excellent spanishOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2012Great find! excellent spanish food, and the waiter actually greeted us by name when he got back to the table (carded us first. :) ). Would highly recommend visiting them, and am planning on trying their sister restaurant Cafe Ena
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2012Great food and atmosphere - we really enjoyed our dinner!
- Shared the meat and cheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2012Shared the meat and cheese plate with my guest - delicious! Had the corvina and coconut risotto entre for dinner - highly recommended. Sangria is delicious. Everything was reasonably priced. Will definitely be going back soon.Special Features:
- The food is slightly adaptedWiczerdDined on 7/27/2012The food is slightly adapted for local tastes a bit, but really good and definitely has a Caribbean sense to it. Of course, the fried plantains were a great addition to any dish.Special Features:
- Still a MN Gem!RubyDined on 7/21/2012I've been going to El Meson for decades but hadn't been recently - just sort of forgot about it. But food was better than ever, service was outstanding. When we had a major spill of about 5 drinks caused by a klutzy teen, the staff whisked us to a fresh table to enjoy our desserts. Live Spanish guitar music serenaded us during dinner. Steak, seafood casserole, ceviche, empanadas, chorizo, tostones, platanitos - all terrific.Special Features:
- We went to El Meson for myAlliVIPDined on 7/21/2012We went to El Meson for my sister's birthday and it was amazing! The food was delicious, the ambiance was really unique, and the service was impeccable. Their seafood was perfectly cooked and left me wanting more (having already licked the plate), and their paella is out of this world. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The food was delectable.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2012The food was delectable. The service was great. There was live music, a single guitar player, which was lovely and not loud enough to interfere with conversation. My only quibble is that the wine by the glass list is very, very short.Special Features:
- A nice place for a casualOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2012A nice place for a casual meal, but a mixed food experience. The Iberico appetizer plate of Spanish meats and cheeses with a really great balsamic reduction was outstanding, but the paella didn't live up to its reputation and was a real disappointment.
- Fantastic Food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2012Excellent food, service and prices. The food was fantastic, especially the appetizers. This is our new favorite restraunt in Minneapolis. Great Cuban and Caribean dishes...and we are hard to please in that regard, having come from Florida.Special Features:
- Only problem is layout forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2012Only problem is layout for flamenco. Dividing wall blocks much of entertainment. Probably should elevate themSpecial Features:
- The flavors are fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/14/2012The flavors are fantastic and the cozy booths are quite charming. Oh, and the Sangria is a perfect hot Summer treat.Special Features:
- It was asi-asi...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2012The service was poor. The waitress would make snide remarks regarding our choices of food and beverage. Further, the service was lacking in attending to the table's needs (refills, etc.). They refused to split the bill or assist us with splitting the amount due. There was a flamenco performer who was quite loud and annoying. The food was good, however for a restaurant that serves primarily Caribbean food, they lacked sweet plantains on this particular night.
- Reserved one of the alcoveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2012Reserved one of the alcove booths and had a wonderful anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- Was wonderful, all the foodsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2012Was wonderful, all the foods was equally delicious.Special Features:
- Great food. Very nice outdoorrustyDined on 6/23/2012Great food. Very nice outdoor dining, however a bit noisy when trucks, busses, or motorcycles go by.Special Features:
- Everything was great exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2012Everything was great except the dessert. For some strange reason desserts have been an area where many of the Latino restaurants, at least in the Twin Cities, need improvement. BUT, we will go back.Special Features:
- Had a fun time sitting inChristyWDined on 6/12/2012Had a fun time sitting in a booth, like our own little cubbie. It was noisy from the bartender tossing bottles into the garbage however (really?!). Food was very good, interesting, flavorful and unique. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Great food - great service.JeanDined on 6/12/2012Great food - great service. Very accommodating, even with two toddlers! Go early and sit outside (like we did) with noisy kids. Inside is more romantic.Special Features:
- could improve the decor.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/11/2012could improve the decor. Looks a bit rundown. Even though we had reservation, they were not prepared for a table of six and needed to set it up for us. No big delay but surprised that they were not prepared. They were moderately busy. Food great and waiter was charming and efficient.