1522 W Montrose Ave.
Chicago, IL 60013Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 773-878-1882
- Hours of Operation:
Monday 5:00PM- 10:00PM
Tuesday 5:00PM- 10:00PM
Wednesday 5:00PM- 10:00PM
Thursday 5:00PM- 10:00PM
Friday 5:00PM- 11:00PM
Saturday- 5:00PM- 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Javier Cruz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout
A word from El Maya
Modern Mexican Cuisine. Don't forget your bottle of Tequila; we have fresh Margarita mix everyday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Maya reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (5)great for outdoor dining (3)good for groups (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- HughVIPDined on 9/13/2014Superb, creative Mexican food, with excellent service, and thoughtful accomodation for BYO wine, tequila etc. The ambience is fun, if a bit noisy.Special Features:
- Amazing Gourmet Mexican foodSuuzgVIPDined on 8/30/2014We discovered this restaurant early this summer and have gone probably 8 times since. The food is amazing and creative. The people who work there are amazing! It is BYOB and there is a liquor store on the corner. They make the mixes for Sangria and Margaritas, so you just have to buy the alcohol. You have to try this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Service, Great FoodJonathanVIPDined on 8/29/2014Amazed by this find, cant believe its not packed to the gills every night. Definitely will returnSpecial Features:
- Terrific "modern" MexicanRnCSantaFeDined on 8/1/2014Great food and service. Our party of adults and children ordered a variety of seafood and chicken entrees and shared them. All were excellent! We went early on a Friday evening, when it wasn't too busy, and had very attentive servers. We will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Potential, but disappointing food.Chicago1023Dined on 5/24/2014Disappointed. I live in the neighborhood and have wanted to try for awhile. I should have kept waiting. Went on a Sat night and it was empty (never a good sign). Had guacamole which was so so. Things got a lot worse for the main dish. I had the envuelto. The potatoes tasted like the were cooked the week before. The meat was so salty and tasted as if it had just been reheated in the microwave. It was really a disappointing dish. There is a lot of potential there to be a great addition to the neighborhood, but execution is not there yet unfortunately. The service was good and the atmosphere is nice. Just wish the food was fresher.
- The following 121 reviews are from the El Maya reviews archive.
- Authentic MexicanamateurchefVIPDined on 5/13/2014This was my second dining experience at El Maya, and it was just as enjoyable as the first. The food is outstanding, and has a nice selection of menu choices. The BYOB also is great! I will continue to make this a regular place to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food, horrible serviceGreenScorpionDined on 5/10/2014This was my 3rd El Maya dining experience. We sat down and pretty quickly were able to order our pitcher of margaritas and then ordered a mild guacamole and a Empanda Caseres for appetizers, but we then had to wait approx 15min to flag someone down to order our entrees. For our entrees we ordered the Piramides (my favorite), the Envuelto (steak), the Mocajete, and the Puc Chuc (pork loin). The food was spot-on and delicious. But then we ordered the pineapple upside down cake for dessert and it didn't come for at least 20min. My boyfriend finally was able to flag down someone and it was obvious they had forgotten about our dessert order. He asked for the check at the same time, but had to ask again when the dessert came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciosoStatlerandWaldorfDined on 5/5/2014The guacamole was chunky and fresh and Pechuga de Puebla was perfect. It was Cinco de Mayo so it was packed with some very large tables. People without reservations were waiting an hour but it would've been worth the wait. They don't have a bar but they do have Margarita Mix so bring your favorite tequila. Sangria might be a good idea for BYO also.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemJenniDined on 4/26/2014Don't be put off by the uninviting exterior and lack of curb appeal. Come here for the delicious and well-prepared food. This is not a run-of-the-mill Mexican restaurant. The menu is small and creative (shrimp with pistachio mole was wonderful), and the staff is exceedingly helpful. Bonus -- it's BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/4/2014You really can't go wrong with anything on the menu, Ive been here many times and food and service are always consistently great. This place should be busy all the time! From the starters to dessert, delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find!AvisDined on 3/31/2014This is my new favorite place. Delicious food and excellent service. I will be back here again and again. I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and he loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome flavors, generousdinerDined on 3/29/2014awesome flavors, generous portions, fun night out at great byob - spreading the word to all our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic PlaceAvisDined on 3/17/2014I will come here again and again ---it is always fabulous! We came for my boyfriend's birthday and it was GREAT!Special Features:
- Suprisinglty Very GoodYourNeighborVIPDined on 3/13/2014We were sort of shocked. Here we were, 100 yards from Mixteco - another neighborhood treasure - we found a worthy competitor. The food was all very good. My girlfriend had Salmon and I had the Flank Steak Special. The menu is not extensive but it is interesting. The BYOB approach at el Maya is very smart. At very reasonable prices, they sell virgin Sangria and virgin Margarettas. Both are just begging you to bring your own wine or tequila for an excellent dinner accompaniment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningFranciscoDined on 3/8/2014The only reason the do not get an outstanding overall is the lighting and heat, the temp was very hot inside and they definitely some dimmers to make the ambiance a little more inviting, fluorescent light is a no no for any restaurantSpecial Features:
- Average MexicanOnislandtimeDined on 3/1/2014Loved the byob option. Service was fast and efficient. Food was mediocre. The place was pretty empty on a Thursday. Maybe that should have been a hint.Special Features:
- Great food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014We had a 730 reservation for 6 on a Saturday night. It was busy but they were able to put a table together when we walked in. Service was extremely slow. We had to order our appetizers with the hostess. I don't think our server came over for a whole half hour. Appetizer- queso fundido was excellent! Everyone got a different entree and they were all yummy. I will definitely come back but on a weekday when it's slower.Special Features:
- Great for Valentine's Day DinnerGreenScorpionDined on 2/14/2014I was able to make a reservation for Valentine's Day dinner at El Maya the day before on Open Table. It was definitely busy and the service was a little slow, but, as always the food was excellent. We ordered the fresh guacamole (be prepared, even the mild is still medium spicy), the Pyramide (shredded chicken w/ mole, a favorite from our first visit), and the Evuelto (one of the steak dishes, delicious). And then for dessert we had the tres leches which was the best tres leches I have ever had. We were already stuffed from the main meal and the margaritas, but we still managed to polish off the whole dessert between 2 people. We ended up giving the remainder of our pitcher of margarita to a group table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious haute cuisine MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/14/2014I couldn't believe how yummy ALL our courses were. It was our first trip to El Maya. We ordered queso fundido and mussels to start. Both were seasoned beautifully...not just your run of the mill seasoning but definitely Mexican. My salmon was exquisite, with a side of spinach, both delicious, and, again, wonderful spices. My husband loved his rib-eye. After 2 apps and 2 entrees (although I took most of my entree home, having filled up on the apps), we didn't try dessert. Best part? It's BYOB so we took a rose sparkler and a pinot noir for our Valentine's Day meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun delicious and surprisingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/11/2014had a great meal on a cold night. all food made with care and knocked it out of the park with their chocolate masa in a tamale. will returnSpecial Features:
- Always a pleasureDrabi2Dined on 2/8/2014Everytime I've been to El Maya (several now) the food is great! Service is top notch and I leave so full and happy! Thank you El Maya for being a great restaraunt and putting up with our crazy gang. You are the best and I'll be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentCicconeDined on 2/7/2014Never had anything but an excellent experience here on all points.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent saucesAscherVIPDined on 2/1/2014This restaurant gets overlooked because of Mixteco nearby. However, the staff are great, the food is very interesting and creative, and their sauces are wonderful. The decor is colorful and playful and the prices quite reasonable. IT is BYO also with no corkage charges. Our 5 year old daughter loves it there too, and often recommends we go. I strongly recommend checking it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/24/2014Went with a large group for dinner. Food and service were great! Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/18/2014Always amazing food, maybe not the best for large groups. Way easier to get into than that other place across the st.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for groups or date nightMarkBDined on 1/4/2014We live nearby and have been many times for a date night or with another couple. Recently we went to celebrate a birthday with a group of 16 and everything went great. Their margarita mix is dangerously delicious, and because you can bring your own Tequila it's even better on the bill. The staff is very friendly and attentive. Lastly, the chocolate tamale is the perfect ending to a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Neighbourhood MexicanChicanoechickDined on 12/31/2013I've been here a few times now - always with a large group. They are not only consistent with their service, but also with the food. It's byob and you can bring your own Tequila for their house mix of margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Service, Mediocre FoodoccasionaldinerDined on 12/7/2013Took two hours to get through a dinner with two people. Waited over 45 minutes between appetizer and entree. Lots of bone and cartilage in the chicken piramide. Freezing cold inside. Will not be back.
- AmazingJimmboDined on 11/22/2013Executive Chef Jimmy is an amazing man. He is very attentive to the needs of the customer. We had a Vegan at dinner with us and he created a dinner just for him. The food is layered with flavor and great presentations. Has quickly become my favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Need better serviceblondemezzoDined on 11/16/2013We were there for 3 hours with about 45 minutes between courses. They brought out the wrong dish for one of my friends, but we went for it, because we didn't want to wait. They did comp us dessert - but what was funny about that, is that it added another 35 minutes to our already LONG dinner. Good food though. Maybe try it on a week night.
- OutstandingAerotDined on 11/9/2013Great food and service at a very reasonable price, had out of town guests and they were very impressed. Have been several times and its always consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden paradise.JimmboDined on 11/2/2013Was completely surprised with this place. The food and service were amazing. Every person at the table cleaned their plates and every bite was as good as the first. Jimmy, the chef owner, came out and provided a history of the restaurant and ensured we were happy with our entrées. And it's BYOB!! Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a bit loud Friday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/1/2013Was a bit loud Friday night but otherwise an excellent friendly and delicious experience and a great value. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday To Me!GreenScorpionDined on 10/26/2013El Maya is definitely a hidden gem! I was able to go on OpenTable only a week before my birthday party and make a reservation for 20 people @ 8:15pm on the next Saturday. The restaurant was also very accomodating when my reservation turned into 22-25 people. The wait staff were also very nice and prompt in bringing more pitchers of margaritas. The freshmade guacamole was delicious (BEWARE even the mild is pretty spicy) and everyone loved their entrees. My favorite was the Salmon Del Sol, but EVERYTHING was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemvickyDined on 10/18/2013Great food, great service. One of the best mexican I've had. Fresh lime juice mixers. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply great foodSpencerDined on 9/28/2013Great place to come with friends. BYOB. No corkage. Beautifully prepared food, both for the eyes and especially for the stomach. Large portions. Definitely get a molcajete, plenty of sizzling hot food -- enough to share. Have a Ceviche del Dia, always good. The guacamole is spiced how you like it. Desserts are generous and tasty. Cannot recommend El Maya enough. Authentic regional Mexican food. And the service is friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Mexican foodJackieAVIPDined on 9/28/2013Chose this place as we were looking for Mexican, and the OpenTable and Yelp reviews seemed real/genuine in their praise for the restaurant. Showing up at a place that is half-empty at 730p on a Saturday night gives pause, but it filled up shortly thereafter. And the food was excellent. Had salsa and chips, guacamole, empanda, enchiladas, and Mojachete. All very well done. Mojachete was easily the best dish. Friendly and attentive staff.
- Favorite spot in the cityJonathanVIPDined on 9/20/2013Amazing food, incredible service! Our favorite place for a night out as a couple or with a big group! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome !OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/13/2013Don't understand why people are not queued out the door. Amazing food and great service, the only the slight negative it was relatively quiet for a Friday night. Ceviche and Mexican meatballs where a great tasty start, special pork chop and flank steak were even better for the main and then just when you thought it couldn't get any better the waiter recommended the most delicious Chocolate tamale cake thing. All along side the yummy BOYB of Tequila Margaritas for $80 dinner for two. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Hidden GemHowardAVIPDined on 9/4/2013We loved this restaurant! The food was wonderful. The best "modern" Mexican food we've ever experienced. This is fun, relaxed, fine dining...what a nice combination. Remember to bring your own BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.