El Maguey y la Tuna
321 East Houston St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
El Maguey y la Tuna
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elmagueyylatunamex.com/
- Phone: (212) 473-3919
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Spanish, Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Are you looking to plan an event in New York? Welcome to El Maguey Y La Tuna, where you can find great Mexican food prepared and served by skilled staff dedicated to your gathering's every need.The traditional fare and unique atmosphere will surely make your event one to remember.
- Private Party Contact: Maria L. Cortez 8553838561
A word from El Maguey y la Tuna
We are a family run restaurant established in 2003. We provide Mexican homestyle cooking. We have strong Margaritas and Sangria. We are known for our Moles sauces such as Mole Poblano, Mole verde, Mole de 5 chile and more.Continued
Great for Large groups!!
Great for Large groups!!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Maguey y la Tuna reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance2.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Decent food, strange crowd.StarvingLawStudentDined on 8/29/2014The food is ok, the service was good. There was a very aggressive fellow with a guitar alternating between mariachi and classic rock. It has a fun, hole-in-the-wall vibe, which adds a lot to the experience. It's also pretty cheap. Get a mezcal margarita if you go.
- The following 8 reviews are from the El Maguey y la Tuna reviews archive.
- nice local spotmymealandeyeDined on 7/18/2014casual relaxing place away from the crowdy nights in the LES. Meal plus a drink, dessert and tip was under $30. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing molesDaceyDVIPDined on 6/3/2014Title says it all. Blah margies, blah guacamole, but AMAZING moles. And a very nice waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Deal MexicanMurgatroydDined on 5/2/2014El Maguey has the feel of an authentic family run restaurant. The food is delicious, fresh and home made tasting. Good drinks and they can handle a crowd with ease. The bathrooms may be a little TOO authentic, but nothing to worry about! I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great...if you order correctlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014I was scrambling day of for a group of 12 and El Maguey y la Tuna was able to take us at 8pm on a Saturday so I was very thankful for that. The wait staff was attentive, handled our group well, and kept us very happy. The food and drink was all over the scale though. The Margaritas, while strong were simply not tasty. I think they had too much water in them. If you like creamy vs chunky guacamole, this is your dream. The guac was great and very smooth. I ordered a mole enchilada and the sauce was FANTASTIC. My girlfriend ordered fajitas and it looked like it was microwaved frozen chicken (and tasted like it too). I would rate this 3 stars for a normal sized party.Special Features:
- Great Group DinnerBandDinnerDined on 3/28/2014We had dinner here before our band played at Parkside lounge. We had about 8 people, and I was able to make a reservation just a few days in advance. The restaurant is small but we had a great table with plenty of space. The food was awesome, some of the best mole that I have had. The server was really accommodating with dietary restrictions (we had vegetarian and gluten free in our group ...) and he was just a great, kind guy. Definitely will be back here.Special Features:
- Nicest Staff, Authentic FoodChuckBoerumHillDined on 9/21/2013I was looking for a Mexican place in the LES and stumbled across El Maguey y la Tuna. Wow, were we pleasantly surprised! First, the service was amazing! The waitress took time to explain their specialties and even brought out little samples of a few different moles for us to try! I can't say enough good things about the service. For drinks, we had a jalapeno margarita and red sangria. Both were delicious. The drinks were also quite strong. I love spicy margaritas and this one was better then 95% of the ones I've had in the city. As for the food, it was quality home-style Mexican, and we were very happy. Overall, a great experience, we will definitely be back. Authentic, family owned restaurants like this deserve your business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went on Cinco de Mayo. SetOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2013Went on Cinco de Mayo. Set menu that was over priced for Cinco de Mayo. Charged us for chips they served to us. We paid $12 extra dollars for chips.
- We celebrated my friend'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013We celebrated my friend's birthday here, and they even decorated for her. They really provided great service, and the food was great!Special Features: