6060 Marshalee Drive
Elkridge, MD 21075Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elhidalgorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (410) 540-2999
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Sunday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Walter Castro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from El Hidalgo
Our menu offers both classic and modernized preparations of the regional dishes of Mexico. We take pride in bringing the best of the Mexican and Latin American cuisine to Howard County. Come and experience a celebration of color and flavors indulge yourself in a unique Elkridge culinary treasure.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Hidalgo reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance2.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- So many opciones!padrinopetriniDined on 9/20/2014An extensive menu with something for everyone! The service can be a bit slow, so order another margarita while you're at it!Special Features:
- Very averagejmlinvaDined on 7/29/2014I usually live finding hidden gems but this one could have stayed hidden. It was so noisy inside we decided to eat on the patio. No atmosphere, right by the dumpster. Large menu, with a big variety of beer and tequilas. The food was not that great and the service was not much better. Every one seemed very disorganized but friendly. Probably won't stop again.
- The following 28 reviews are from the El Hidalgo reviews archive.
- Best Mexican around!MBHBmoreVIPDined on 7/5/2014This is a small bar/restaurant with an unbelievable number of tequilas that mixes outstanding margaritas and makes really terrific food. They do not serve gloppy, sloppy cheese smothered food -- instead, we had new and interesting flavors in normal quantities, that left us calculating how to adjust our calendars to fit in our next trip so we can try more new things. Ambience nothing to write home about; TV sets in bar were really really loud and annoyingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Place, Big TastejarandhelDined on 7/1/2014El Hidalgo is a tiny little Mexican bar tucked out of the way in a small strip mall on a back road in Elkridge, MD. You wouldn't think much of it driving past, or even going inside -- at least until they bring you the menu. I love Mexican food and I can quite honestly say that I've never seen any Mexican restaurant with as many options or as unique options as El Hidalgo offers. Where else, for instance, can you find burritos that include Calamari? And the food it offers is executed to perfection. It was a bit noisy when we were there, but at least some of it may be attributed to the World Cup playing on multiple screens and fans reacting to goals and such. But even though we're not sports fans ourselves we all had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and tastyFoodiebyHertDined on 3/24/2014I didn't really know what to expect but I enjoyed myself. The food was great! My fiancé took the 8lb burrito prenadas challenge although he didn't finish I was proud he ate half. It was a fun, exciting experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind and generous ownerspadrinopetriniDined on 3/20/2014I brought a large group of high school students to this restaurant, and the owners treated us with patience, generosity, and kindness. They ensured that our servers were attentive, and they even convinced the English-speaking waiters to try a bit of Spanish with our Spanish-speaking group. Everyone had a lot of fun, and the food was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Neigbourhood MexicanJimboDined on 2/15/2014The food was outstanding, (the beef and steak especially) it was great to have a choice of different rices, a refreshing change from the standard Mexican rice most places offer. (I had green poblano rice instead) Another novel offering were the different flights of tequila shots, a nice way to sample many brands without breaking the bank. Was a bit surprised to see on the menu that chip refills cost extra, but we didn't run into any issues. The only real negative toward the ambiance was how small the place was, with the harsh fluorescent light of the kitchen spilling out from the sides of the bar and boxes of supplies piled up in one corner, but that is the nature of a strip-mall and they made the best of the usable space.Special Features:
- Nice Place Tucked Away in ElkridgeMackmagicianDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went there for dinner one night and we found the place to be worth the money. The place was small, but the food selection was huge and the prices were very reasonable. The meal was delicious and the portions were generous. I would definitely go back for a Happy Hour or any other occasion since I felt I got a great deal for both food and alcohol.Special Features:
- Good cheap food, small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/14/2014El Hidalgo has a huge menu with all the usual Mexican classics as well as a bunch of margaritas. The food is cheap but the portions were small. We got 2 drinks and 2 entrees for $35, plus $15 off using an online coupon. El Hidalgo is not much on ambiance - it's basically a sports bar. Our waitress had too many tables, so service was spotty and she got part of the order wrong. But we enjoyed the food, so we'll be back, just not for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveJenniferDined on 2/1/2014We live in Carroll County, and often have to drive a distance to get decent Mexican food. Thanks to Open Table, we found El Hidalgo! We both enjoyed the entire meal, and we were happy to discover that El Hidalgo offers spicy Mexican food. So many times we've tried new Mexican restaurants only to discover that the food is bland. We will definitely make the 40 minute drive to El Hidalgo again ~Special Features:
- Fun and easy Tex-MexOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014Our waitress really was the one who made this place. She pointed out some of her faves, and recommended a dessert I wouldn't ordinarily choose that was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relatively small. The boothSheriffAlDined on 11/29/2013Relatively small. The booth where we were seated had a table about 1-2 inches too wide all the way around. Food was good.Special Features:
- Best mexican food aroundSylWillVIPDined on 11/24/2013Everything we've ever ordered here has been delicious. I love the snake bites. The sevrice is very fast and courteous.Special Features:
- ¡Mi Cumpleaños!LaMorena21075Dined on 11/16/2013¡La comida es deliciosa! Los traigos (las bebidas) fue riquísimos. Y nuestra mesaras fue muy profesional. A mi familia y mis amigos, todos disfrutíamos la experencia. We will dine here many more times. I shared my b'day cake with our waitresses and the chefs. This is how at home they made us feel. I'm glad that I celebrated my 45th b'day at El Hidalgo! Now my friends from Philadelphia, Cleveland, & Virginia want to eat here the next time they're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice alternative to Tex-Mex chainsBKingDined on 10/25/2013A nice alternative to the big Tex-Mex chains. The dining room is pretty small - so be prepared to wait for a table or try for reservations (although we had "confirmed" reservations from on-line - but they had not received the reservation). Regular entrees are flavorful and a bit more authentic. The kids plates were a bit more "fast-food" in nature than I would prefer (heavily breaded / fried) - I will probably order off the appetizer menu for the kids on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the live music!BFayeDined on 9/20/2013We live very near el hidalgo and go there frequently. We love the changes in the seating area and the live music on weekends! Our only complaint about our last visit was that the patio door was propped open for ease of serving the outside diners. We spent our entire meal slapping and swatting bugs. Need to find a good solution for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Servicerani15mdDined on 9/14/2013We had a great waiter who was very attentive and the food was awesome. Being a vegetarian, they have tons of options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitsatisfiedDiner2Dined on 9/1/2013We were looking for a simple meal out and tired of the usual places. This restaurant was a good find. The food was delicious and the service attentive. And people kept coming in so it was always moderately full. We will no doubt be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, fun time,....celebratedLuvetoeatDined on 8/30/2013Good food, fun time,....celebrated my son's birthday!! Everyone enjoyed the food...there was plenty of it!! Waitress was very nice and helpful!! We will definitely go back there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Office CelebrationJennDined on 6/18/2013We had a large group of people to celebrate a co-workers anniversary. Our waitress was excellent and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice tex mex and good tequilatitoVIPDined on 6/15/2013it was a pleasant surprise, we were around the area, and we decided we wanted TexMex so open table to the rescue. At first it looked like we were going to be eating at home but decided to go in and be brave. Looks like a corner bar on some neighborhood. We were surprise, food was good to great, service, little disorganized, but the best, they had my favorite tequila, Casa Noble, so all was good. Go and enjoy the food and some nice cold drink, it's worth it, not a high end mexican food place, but is great.Special Features:
- My wife's Mother's Day pick.OystersanytimeVIPDined on 5/12/2013My wife's Mother's Day pick. We tried the "snake bites" which had a nice kick but the server warned us. The quesadillas were good. The guacamole was great as well as the Cadillac margarita although a little pricey and charged extra for frozen. Our oldest son tried the burrito prenada for two and it was huge. The only negative with the burritos was the meats were hard and tasted like they may not have been fresh. My El Paso burrito was good but the carnitas was tough and flavorless. My wife loved her chile rellenos. We were too full for dessert. Maybe next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More salsa pleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/9/2013Very small restaurant. Great chips & salsa - but kind of lame to bring one small salsa for four people to share.Margaritas were pretty tasty - even their "skinny" version. Food was just OK. Everyone had somethingdifferent & no one raved about their oh ice. Service was just OK. We may go back & try it again.
- This truly is a neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013This truly is a neighborhood gem. I was looking for good mexican food to treat my wife with for Valentine's Day. She loves authentic mexican, and has gotten a little burned out with our own nearby (Pasadena) mexican. So with high hopes, I took her to El Hildago for a quiet valentine dinner. I would classify this as a "hole-in-the-wall". Don't get me wrong, because some of the best food I have found comes from the small, owner run hole in the wall's. The dinner was mas excelente. Otherwise, the ambiance and noise level was less that desirable for a "quiet" dinner. All in all, GOOD FOOD.Special Features:
- An Okay Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/5/2013We were a party of 10 (6 adults, 4 children) looking for a last minute reservation on a Saturday night. We found El Hidalgo on Open Table with good reviews and decided it try it. Our table was ready for us when we got there (the restaurant was actually very empty until later in the evening when we were leaving) and the waiter was initially very attentive. As the night wore on, and the restaurant got more crowded, the service declined. The food was okay (some in our party liked our dishes, others didn't). There isn't much to the atmosphere to this restaurant - you enter into the bar area and behind it is the dining section, which is pretty cramped - seems they've tried to cram a few too many tables into the space. No need to return.Special Features:
- A neighborhood gem indeedericmVIPDined on 8/5/2012Another off the map, small strip mall ethnic place in Elkridge. A very good find. Portions were enormous, and tastes authentic Mexican )and the region where they specialize the name which I forget.) Very quiet on a Sunday.Special Features:
- A solid good time. Not great,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2012A solid good time. Not great, by no means bad. We were in the mood for some mexican and that's what we got! I personally didn't like the Canyon Gold Onion Rings. Tasted like fried fish, but my husband liked them. I really liked my roasted poblano salad on a tortilla yummy thing. We'll go back.
- Great food and service. StandardGoIdahoDined on 5/15/2012Great food and service. Standard Mexican dishes plus a lot of dishes you don't typically see. Fair prices at lunch.Special Features:
- Mole dishes were excellenttessVIPDined on 4/7/2012Mole dishes were excellent Guac was fresh and tasty service was good. Not fancy. Nice neighborhood spot. Will go again.
- Waiter worked too hard atOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2012Waiter worked too hard at being attentive...tried to clear plates still having food. Guadalupe Eggroll appetizer was OK. Road Kill burrito was lacking in meat and generally flavorless. Salsa is too runny. Expensive as Mexican restaurants. Charged a $1 premium to make a frozen Margarita...lame! Won't return.