El Gaucho - Tacoma
2119 Pacific Avenue
Tacoma, WA 98402Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
El Gaucho - Tacoma
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.elgaucho.com/
- Phone: 2532721510x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm -12:00am
Sunday-Thursday 4:00pm-10:00pm (open to close)
Friday 4:00pm-6:00pm & 9:00pm-close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jose DeJesus Boites
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live piano music seven days a week.
- Special Events: Private dining at El Gaucho Tacoma is a special occasion. Our beautiful and incomparable dining rooms are available seven days a week. We also provide buyouts of our entire restaurant. Please contact us if you are interested in reservations in our private dining rooms or request an online form.
A word from El Gaucho - Tacoma
El Gaucho is the Northwest's steakhouse legacy focused on elegant old-school, tableside service for people celebrating their lives.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
El Gaucho - Tacoma - Best Restaurants in Tacoma ›
El Gaucho - Tacoma reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (90)romantic (76)fit for foodies (31)notable wine list (30)late-night find (9)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent food... a bit noisySilverdaleCoupleDined on 9/13/2014Food was great. Service was very nice. Noise level was a bit loud for us. We were looking for a quiet place to talk. Ended up sitting above the music. Not to the point where we had to yell at each other. But did have to lean in to hear what was being said. The scalloped potatoes were wonderful! Wine suggestion was perfect with dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice for steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014My husband and I, and another couple came here for a night out and boy were we blown away at how tender, moist, and perfectly cooked our tenderloin steaks were. The sides consisted of baked potatoes, asparagus, broiled tomatoes, and mushrooms. Everything was perfectly cooked, and the presentation was wonderful. The servers dress your potatoes with all the fixings, prepare a special sauce and cut your piece of meat right in front of you. The service was wonderful, and there is really nothing bad that I can say other than the prices are pretty steep, and our bill was right around $300 for 4 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We were celebrating our anniversary and had a gift card, so decided to try El Gaucho. The gift card definitely helped with the expense of the evening. The food was fabulous, from the bread to the dessert sampler. Would we come again? We'd love to, but only for a very special occasion. Thank you for helping this evening to be so nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary!hikingqueenDined on 9/6/2014Our server Jake was awesome! We had a card with rose petals on the table when we arrived. He made our 11th Anniversary very special! Food was amazing, it was our first time. Steaks were really worth every penny. I had Steak Gaucho hubby had Rib Chop Side dishes were big, we should have ordered only one. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MuffinmanDined on 8/31/2014Everything was wonderful. 1 suggestion. The leftovers were packed in the same to go box and Fred has food allergies! If I had Salmon, nuts or egg on my leftovers he would not be able to eat it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerannivdinDined on 8/26/2014We had a wonderful evening, from the flowers on the table, to the excellent food completed with the desert sampler!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every pennySteveDined on 8/25/2014Absolutely a Tacoma treat. Great for special occasions or when you want that perfect steak. Looking forward to future visits.Special Features:
- Birthday NightLLarivDined on 8/23/2014We were seated immediately but not the best location in the restaurant and right next to another couple which didn't do much for private conversation. The service was excellent, friendly and helpful with suggestions. The menus is the standard El Gaucho menu so there is some lack of excitement in trying some new entrees. The food (steak) was perfectly cooked as were the sides.Special Features:
- Food/priceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014I would like to start out by saying the atmosphere and service was amazing!!! However, I was a little disappointed at the food especially at the prices they charge. When ordering a $40-$75 steak you would expect it to come out prepared the way you asked and to be amazing. It was not! Luckly I had ordered a wedge salad (good) and scalloped potatoes (good) otherwise I would have left hungry. I think if I ever go back I will probably do salad and a shareable only.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Didn't know what to expect but was pleased with the food and the service and atmosphere were outstanding.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014The best steak I've ever had in my life. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Service was excellent and the food was rich and indulgent. The only thing we didn't care for was the steak unfortunately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DiningPrincipalwilksDined on 8/14/2014I was completely satisfied with the Iconic course meals. The Diablo is the finest meal ever prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh shrimp??OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014The shrimp in the shrimp salad tasted metallic. They were inedible. I'm sure they were not fresh. The halibut was nice, as was the iceberg salad. Drinks are very overpriced. Service staff was friendly but not very knowledgable and their timing needs improvement. The Tacoma El Gaucho does not measure up to the Seattle standard. For the considerable expense, I expect a memorable experience. It didn't happen. I'll drive to Seattle if I want another El Gaucho experience.
- funniteDined on 8/11/2014We had a great time, great food, and loved the piano music.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014The service here is unparalleled. Everyone from the wait staff to the support staff was excellent. I changed my reservation time 3 times and the restaurant was very acomodating.Special Features:
- Special NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We were treated like royalty for our anniversary. So appreciated the kind & special treatment! You made our night special! The food was cooked perfectly too! Thank you all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!dshakDined on 7/30/2014By far the best dining experience I have ever had. Every course we had was delicious, steak cooked perfectly. Very attentive waitstaff, and the GM/sommelier is the best. He was very informative and helpful. It was our anniversary and there was a hand written card on our table along with rose petals. At then end of the night they bring you a fruit/cheese platter that is complimentary. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014The food was very good, and the service was awesome. I have nothing bad to say about our dinner experience there, and plenty of good. We had the chateaubriand for two, cooked perfectly, with a complete tableside service. We loved it and we will do it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerCorrieDined on 7/27/2014Always enjoy our dinners at El Gaucho. It can be a little over priced. Had a wonderful birthday dinner with my husband.Special Features:
- date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014This was a very nice restaurant for my wife and I to dine celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:
- Fair ServiceStoneyDined on 7/25/2014We celebrated our 16th anniversary and the over-all experience was good but my wife ordered a well done steak that came out very under-cooked. They did everything they could to try to make it right but damage done.Special Features:
- Excellent....A+++mypeabodyDined on 7/25/2014I would recommend El Gauchos restaurant to anyone, Seattle or Tacoma both very good... The whole experience top notch... The food well... mouth watering and savory... I have been Many times, I must say... It is nice to know I can go out to dinner never fearing what experience I am going to receive... I know with them my dinner will be excellent along with my service. Consistency Is the key, El Gauchos has just that... Thank YouSpecial Features:
- Great serviceRomanceDined on 7/24/2014Service and food is amazing!!! Thank you for making our anniversary perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday DinnerKotagirlDined on 7/23/2014I took my husband for his birthday, they had a handwritten birthday card and rose petals for the table. It was a nice subtle touch, far better than loud happy birthday singing. We enjoyed the food and the service very much. We arrived an hour early and they have a really great happy hour in the bar, very reasonable drink prices (unlike the restaurant). When I got up from our table to go to the ladies room, immediately one of the male servers offered his arm and escorted me. A nice touch, especially since they are all dressed in formal tuxes. It's expensive, so only special occasions for us.Special Features:
- Never a bad meal-Best in TacomaStonecoldDined on 7/20/2014Joe is a genius at inventing new cocktails. Steak is always good and the menu items change frequently enough to keep one interested without being a radical menu change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone downLovefoodDined on 7/19/2014Very disappointed in quality of food. I have dined with El Gaucho at least 8 times over the years! Would not go back! When you pay 62 dol for a New York steak that is dry that is not acceptable. El Gaucho does not feel special anymore. Not worth the money.Special Features:
- For a intimate evening 8 of 10.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Great food and service, slow down the water boy til glass 1/2 full, interuptes conversation, and the piano started out loud then quieted down. The waitress was very helpful and knowledgable with wine and drink suggestions.Special Features:
- Great Dinner!RevelerRay64Dined on 7/7/2014Both my wife and I have made El Gaucho Tacoma a tradition for our anniversary. We just visited for our 19th anniversary but for eight years now we have enjoyed this special occasion at El Gaucho Tacoma!Special Features:
- Always Excellent!farr76Dined on 7/6/2014Once again we enjoyed a wonderful meal at El Gaucho, Tacoma. We expect it to be excellent and they never fail to deliver. The service was awesome and our meal was prepared just like we requested. I highly recommend them for a special occasion or even just to sit in the bar and order off of their bar menu - which is also to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversarystarofanother20yrsDined on 7/5/2014I took my wife out for 20th anniversary. Everyone was very nice, very attentive, and made a point of asking and congratulating us. Set the mood. Food was great, service was awesome and we've decided to do this more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss the Mark!MaybenexttimeDined on 7/3/2014Service was good. Appetizers were bland except for the Wicked Shrimp which was WAY over spiced. Salads were tasty. There were four of us and two ordered the same entrée. The special "Blackened Shrimp" should have been listed as an inedible entrée. The shrimp was way overcooked with to much seasoning. The celery root and other vegetables were so tough and hard we couldn't chock them down. After a few bites we had to send both back for a bowl of clam chowder. The Scalloped Potatoes dish was dry and had cheddar cheese on top. Having ordered this side many times before made it very disappointing. We usually love the food but this time it was a total miss. We all like spicy, well seasoned food. This time El Gaucho's missed the mark!Special Features:
- Fabulous ServicelovegoodfoodDined on 6/28/2014We've been here several times - it's our go-to special events place. This time, every staff member that came to our table congratulated us. We asked a simple question about wines and ended up getting a full-blown lesson. It was AWESOME! Great food, great service, a perfect place to celebrate our anniversary!Special Features:
- El Gaucho TacomaGolferJDined on 6/28/2014This was a very good place to dine for a very special reason, i.e. an anniversary, birthday, etc. The food was very excellent, although expensive. We enjoyed it very much and would probably do it again on a special occasion.Special Features:
- dawnDined on 6/28/2014The wines we selected for dinner and dessert were both unavilable. I had to give the waiter my order 3 times. After he left we joked that my meal would be a surprise. Just then, he came back to confirm what my husband had ordered! The support wait staff were so much friendlier and on the ball. As always, we very much enjoyed the food and live piano.Special Features:
- always outstanding!!!lilsophDined on 6/24/2014our family of 4 loves to eat dinner here for my birthday/anniversary. always excellent service and outstanding food. if you sign up for their revelers club it can definitely save you some money. thank you again for the wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ExperienceAKWymanDined on 6/21/2014Exceptional food and service make this a top NW find. Price is high but you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousFabfoodDined on 6/20/2014This is a great place to go for a celebration. We went for our anniversary and had a wonderful experience. We ordered the fresh king crab legs for a starter and the chateau briand with lobster for 2. It was Delicious the steak was cooked to perfection it practically melted in your mouth. We then had bananas foster and the creme brûlée. The preperation of the bananas foster at table side is fun to watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect PlaceGeneUSAFDined on 6/20/2014I could not have chosen a better place for our 22nd anniversary. Perfect service, perfect setting, phenomenal food, best piano singer/player I've heard in a long time. I will recommend this place to my many military friends. Lt Col Gene Moore, USAFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryPozzoVIPDined on 6/19/2014Always a treat to go there. Noted our anniversary beforehand and they had a nice hand written congrats card a rose petals on the table waiting which were a nice touch. Food is great- a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.