El Gaucho - Tacoma
2119 Pacific Avenue
Tacoma, WA 98402Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
El Gaucho - Tacoma
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.elgaucho.com/
- Phone: 2532721510x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm -12:00am
Sunday-Thursday 4:00pm-10:00pm (open to close)
Friday 4:00pm-6:00pm & 9:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jose DeJesus Boites
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live piano music seven days a week.
- Special Events: Private dining at El Gaucho Tacoma is a special occasion. Our beautiful and incomparable dining rooms are available seven days a week. We also provide buyouts of our entire restaurant. Please contact us if you are interested in reservations in our private dining rooms or request an online form.
A word from El Gaucho - Tacoma
El Gaucho is the Northwest's steakhouse legacy focused on elegant old-school, tableside service for people celebrating their lives.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
El Gaucho - Tacoma - Best Restaurants in Tacoma ›
El Gaucho - Tacoma reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (93)romantic (80)notable wine list (34)fit for foodies (30)late-night find (12)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (7)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Delicious DiningPrincipalwilksDined on 8/14/2014I was completely satisfied with the Iconic course meals. The Diablo is the finest meal ever prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh shrimp??OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014The shrimp in the shrimp salad tasted metallic. They were inedible. I'm sure they were not fresh. The halibut was nice, as was the iceberg salad. Drinks are very overpriced. Service staff was friendly but not very knowledgable and their timing needs improvement. The Tacoma El Gaucho does not measure up to the Seattle standard. For the considerable expense, I expect a memorable experience. It didn't happen. I'll drive to Seattle if I want another El Gaucho experience.
- funniteDined on 8/11/2014We had a great time, great food, and loved the piano music.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014The service here is unparalleled. Everyone from the wait staff to the support staff was excellent. I changed my reservation time 3 times and the restaurant was very acomodating.Special Features:
- Special NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We were treated like royalty for our anniversary. So appreciated the kind & special treatment! You made our night special! The food was cooked perfectly too! Thank you all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!dshakDined on 7/30/2014By far the best dining experience I have ever had. Every course we had was delicious, steak cooked perfectly. Very attentive waitstaff, and the GM/sommelier is the best. He was very informative and helpful. It was our anniversary and there was a hand written card on our table along with rose petals. At then end of the night they bring you a fruit/cheese platter that is complimentary. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014The food was very good, and the service was awesome. I have nothing bad to say about our dinner experience there, and plenty of good. We had the chateaubriand for two, cooked perfectly, with a complete tableside service. We loved it and we will do it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerCorrieDined on 7/27/2014Always enjoy our dinners at El Gaucho. It can be a little over priced. Had a wonderful birthday dinner with my husband.Special Features:
- date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014This was a very nice restaurant for my wife and I to dine celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:
- Fair ServiceStoneyDined on 7/25/2014We celebrated our 16th anniversary and the over-all experience was good but my wife ordered a well done steak that came out very under-cooked. They did everything they could to try to make it right but damage done.Special Features:
- Excellent....A+++mypeabodyDined on 7/25/2014I would recommend El Gauchos restaurant to anyone, Seattle or Tacoma both very good... The whole experience top notch... The food well... mouth watering and savory... I have been Many times, I must say... It is nice to know I can go out to dinner never fearing what experience I am going to receive... I know with them my dinner will be excellent along with my service. Consistency Is the key, El Gauchos has just that... Thank YouSpecial Features:
- Great serviceRomanceDined on 7/24/2014Service and food is amazing!!! Thank you for making our anniversary perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday DinnerKotagirlDined on 7/23/2014I took my husband for his birthday, they had a handwritten birthday card and rose petals for the table. It was a nice subtle touch, far better than loud happy birthday singing. We enjoyed the food and the service very much. We arrived an hour early and they have a really great happy hour in the bar, very reasonable drink prices (unlike the restaurant). When I got up from our table to go to the ladies room, immediately one of the male servers offered his arm and escorted me. A nice touch, especially since they are all dressed in formal tuxes. It's expensive, so only special occasions for us.Special Features:
- Never a bad meal-Best in TacomaStonecoldDined on 7/20/2014Joe is a genius at inventing new cocktails. Steak is always good and the menu items change frequently enough to keep one interested without being a radical menu change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone downLovefoodDined on 7/19/2014Very disappointed in quality of food. I have dined with El Gaucho at least 8 times over the years! Would not go back! When you pay 62 dol for a New York steak that is dry that is not acceptable. El Gaucho does not feel special anymore. Not worth the money.Special Features:
- For a intimate evening 8 of 10.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Great food and service, slow down the water boy til glass 1/2 full, interuptes conversation, and the piano started out loud then quieted down. The waitress was very helpful and knowledgable with wine and drink suggestions.Special Features:
- Great Dinner!RevelerRay64Dined on 7/7/2014Both my wife and I have made El Gaucho Tacoma a tradition for our anniversary. We just visited for our 19th anniversary but for eight years now we have enjoyed this special occasion at El Gaucho Tacoma!Special Features:
- Always Excellent!farr76Dined on 7/6/2014Once again we enjoyed a wonderful meal at El Gaucho, Tacoma. We expect it to be excellent and they never fail to deliver. The service was awesome and our meal was prepared just like we requested. I highly recommend them for a special occasion or even just to sit in the bar and order off of their bar menu - which is also to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversarystarofanother20yrsDined on 7/5/2014I took my wife out for 20th anniversary. Everyone was very nice, very attentive, and made a point of asking and congratulating us. Set the mood. Food was great, service was awesome and we've decided to do this more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss the Mark!MaybenexttimeDined on 7/3/2014Service was good. Appetizers were bland except for the Wicked Shrimp which was WAY over spiced. Salads were tasty. There were four of us and two ordered the same entrée. The special "Blackened Shrimp" should have been listed as an inedible entrée. The shrimp was way overcooked with to much seasoning. The celery root and other vegetables were so tough and hard we couldn't chock them down. After a few bites we had to send both back for a bowl of clam chowder. The Scalloped Potatoes dish was dry and had cheddar cheese on top. Having ordered this side many times before made it very disappointing. We usually love the food but this time it was a total miss. We all like spicy, well seasoned food. This time El Gaucho's missed the mark!Special Features:
- Fabulous ServicelovegoodfoodDined on 6/28/2014We've been here several times - it's our go-to special events place. This time, every staff member that came to our table congratulated us. We asked a simple question about wines and ended up getting a full-blown lesson. It was AWESOME! Great food, great service, a perfect place to celebrate our anniversary!Special Features:
- El Gaucho TacomaGolferJDined on 6/28/2014This was a very good place to dine for a very special reason, i.e. an anniversary, birthday, etc. The food was very excellent, although expensive. We enjoyed it very much and would probably do it again on a special occasion.Special Features:
- dawnDined on 6/28/2014The wines we selected for dinner and dessert were both unavilable. I had to give the waiter my order 3 times. After he left we joked that my meal would be a surprise. Just then, he came back to confirm what my husband had ordered! The support wait staff were so much friendlier and on the ball. As always, we very much enjoyed the food and live piano.Special Features:
- always outstanding!!!lilsophDined on 6/24/2014our family of 4 loves to eat dinner here for my birthday/anniversary. always excellent service and outstanding food. if you sign up for their revelers club it can definitely save you some money. thank you again for the wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ExperienceAKWymanDined on 6/21/2014Exceptional food and service make this a top NW find. Price is high but you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousFabfoodDined on 6/20/2014This is a great place to go for a celebration. We went for our anniversary and had a wonderful experience. We ordered the fresh king crab legs for a starter and the chateau briand with lobster for 2. It was Delicious the steak was cooked to perfection it practically melted in your mouth. We then had bananas foster and the creme brûlée. The preperation of the bananas foster at table side is fun to watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect PlaceGeneUSAFDined on 6/20/2014I could not have chosen a better place for our 22nd anniversary. Perfect service, perfect setting, phenomenal food, best piano singer/player I've heard in a long time. I will recommend this place to my many military friends. Lt Col Gene Moore, USAFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryPozzoVIPDined on 6/19/2014Always a treat to go there. Noted our anniversary beforehand and they had a nice hand written congrats card a rose petals on the table waiting which were a nice touch. Food is great- a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60th BirthdayDrogo1Dined on 6/18/2014My wife and I enjoyed the meal very much. Everyone wished my wife Happy Birthday. Karin was the best dresses woman there on Wednesday night. A woman's 60th birthday is special, and for a $180.00 tab I was disappointed your staff did not " compt" the cherries jubilee for Karin, for her Birthday. We were not looking for a "freebie" but it would have been a nice jester on your part. Thanks, CharlesSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014food was excellent Rozalyn was our server and she was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day dinner celebrationSubRon20Dined on 6/15/2014French Onion soup the best I have ever had. Steaks were very tasty. Service was impeccable. Great value for a special celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MickeyDined on 6/14/2014Excellent service and food! Great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised!Lands21Dined on 6/13/2014Surprised at what a great place this was. Totally recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great night.like2eatDined on 6/6/2014My wife and I celebrated our 17th anniversary here. It was our first time there. The stuff was really nice wishing us a happy anniversary. The food was very good. Really enjoyed have the Cesar salad and the banana foster made by the table. It was a very nice night for us.Special Features:
- Great Steak.NICODined on 6/6/2014Best steak ever. If you like steak El Gaucho is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent special events locationNotAFoodieDined on 6/6/2014My husband and I celebrated our 11th anniversary at El Gaucho in Tacoma. I had the Steak El Gaucho, which included an 8 oz filet magnon and 2 lobster medallions, and my hubby had the baseball steak, which was a 12 oz filet magnon in the shape of a baseball! We also had crab cakes for appetizer, corn, risotto, and mac 'n cheese for sides, and creme brûlée for dessert. Everything was delicious, especially the steaks! We ended up taking a little bit of everything home after dinner--I was stuffed! The service was the best that I've experienced in any restaurant. Our server, Matthew, recommended a red wine, some kind of shiraz from Australia, that is simply out of this world. It's a great place; I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Steak KingLLarivDined on 6/4/2014We had steaks, Filet Mignon, medium rare, and they were cooked to perfection. The peppercorn sauce added an extra zip to the flavor. Salads were crispy and fresh with added lemon zest with perfect dressing. Scallop potatoes were a little mushy and somewhat stale. Service was prompt and friendly. I think the prices are too high to make it a regular visiting restaurant and affordable only for special once or twice a year experience. Similar quality can be had at other restaurants for 20 percent less (Ruth Chris as an example). The same goes for the drink (Martini) prices.Special Features:
- DinnerDinnerDined on 6/4/2014The food was good, the service was good, almost overdone with too many interruptions asking how we were doing and filling our glasses when they were just down a tiny bit. I realize we were there for our anniversary, but at the end of the meal (when we were too full for dessert) they brought us a fruit and cheese tray compliments of the house. Don't get me wrong, compliments of the house is always good. However, we were already full and couldn't eat much at all. I feel this was a waste of food. I did take the apple and pear home with me. So I would recommend they tell us about the complimentary fruit and cheese tray and give us the opportunity to say yes to it and not waste food. Thank you.Special Features:
- I will return againOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014My family had a wonderful dinner, the food was great and the staff were all attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to for RomanceLisabelleDined on 5/30/2014Romantic mood lighting, exceptional staff, beautiful live piano music and food that I can take my chef friend to eat without a single complaint (a miracle). No electronics are allowed so patrons can enjoy the peace, quiet and privacy. They are open late. The bar is safe for a single lady. Valet parking available. They hire professional staff who make you feel welcome. Questions regarding wine are welcomed without judgement Enjoyed Ruths Chris Steaks? Then you will be thrilled with the ones here. They have fabulous steaks which are spice rubbed then cooked over coals. We love the French Onion soup which has a rich broth and exquisite broiled cheese ($9). The sides are tasty and serve 2 or more. The Key Lime pie and Brulee are a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.