El Gaucho - Seattle
2505 First Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
El Gaucho - Seattle
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.elgaucho.com/
- Phone: (206) 728-1337
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: Lounge 4:00pm – 10:00pm, Dinner service begins at 5:00pm
Friday - Saturday: Lounge 4:00pm – 12:00am; dinner service begins at 5:00pm.
Happy Hour: Sunday - Monday: all night
Tuesday - Thursday 9:00pm - - close
Friday - Saturday 10:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Brandsey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live piano music seven days a week.
- Special Events: Private dining at El Gaucho is a memorable occasion. Our beautiful and incomparable private rooms are available for lunch and dinner service Monday through Friday and dinner service on the weekends. We also provide buyouts of our entire restaurant. Please contact Brooke Lee at 206-267-5510 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
A word from El Gaucho - Seattle
Named as “the definitive steakhouse in the country,” El Gaucho’s award-winning menu features 28-Day Dry-Aged Niman Ranch All-Natural Certified Angus Beef® Brand Prime steaks and custom aged Certified Angus Beef® brand tenderloin filets, ribs, pork, poultry and the freshest seafood, all prepared to perfection over an open bed of glowing coals in an exhibition-style kitchen. Our extensive wine list is award-winning, and happy hour menu is widely recognized as one of Seattle’s best. Live music is offered nightly.Continued
El Gaucho is the Northwest’s steakhouse legacy focused on old-school, tableside service. We revel in helping guests create a night to remember.
El Gaucho is the Northwest’s steakhouse legacy focused on old-school, tableside service. We revel in helping guests create a night to remember.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
El Gaucho - Seattle - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
El Gaucho - Seattle reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (144)romantic (125)fit for foodies (83)notable wine list (77)vibrant bar scene (26)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (25)hot spot (25)late-night find (19)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014I've always had such a great experience at El Gaucho, but that was not the case during our last visit. The service was terrible. We had to ask for bread 3 times before our waiter finally brought it over to us. When our main course finally came, everyone at the table received their meal except for me, though none of the wait staff seemed to notice or care. I finally asked our waitress about it and she seemed surprised that I didn't have my meal. ? They gave me a small app in the meantime, which was essentially plain crab meat on lettuce. When my meal came, one of my cuts of meat was undercooked, while the other was overcooked. I was really disappointed by the entire experience.
- The following 573 reviews are from the El Gaucho - Seattle reviews archive.
- A dining experience not 2 be missedJulesDined on 7/23/2014My first time at any El Gaucho was with a deal I purchased through Amazon Local for $175 for a four course meal for two. I chose the wine pairings and my boyfriend had the cocktails. The drinks were tastey, but the wine is an amazing deal. And each one was deliciously sinful...oh my goodness. The food. Oh the food. Ceasar salad prepared tableside...wicked shrimp, prime rib medallions, chocolate bourbon cake...all of it, absolutely perfect. And they are not chintzy, we were completely stuffed when we left. A new experience for me is that they are not worried about turning tables. They want you to stay, savor your meal, enjoy your company...it is awesome. It couldn't have been any better. Well done El Gaucho, well done.Special Features:
- left much to be desired...foodforlifeDined on 7/22/2014I'm not sure if there is a change in Chef or just a bad night. My halibut was overcooked on the outside and almost raw on the inside. My friend's filet minon was overdone, chewy (second time was even worse). The staff was very kind and brought out a second stead but it just didn't work out. They took the item off the tab but it's unfortuante the quality was just not there. For what they charge for their food, I would expect alot more.
- Love this Steakhouse!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014El Gaucho is our favorite restaurant. The food, drink and ambiance are beyond compare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedFoodieDined on 7/19/2014I was expecting top notch cuisine and the end result was not impressive. The atmosphere was nice and it was romantic, but a couple that only gets away a few times a year I was extremely unimpressed. We cook well at home so I was expecting tone wowed and it just wasn't worth the money we spent.Special Features:
- Very accomodatingHappyCustomerDined on 7/19/2014My boyfriend is allergic to dairy and they were very kind to make dairy free mash potatoes. This is something that most places will not do for him. Our waiter even brought over another basket of dairy free bread without us asking. I will absolutely recommend and will go back.Special Features:
- Great Time with El GauchorapbusinessDined on 7/18/2014The ambience is warm and inviting of conversation; the pianist in the corner is playing the jazz standards we all know. The lighting is dark, the table meant for good conversation, and the food is heavenly. Ask for Chris as your table waiter--he si very attentive, and has a sense of humor, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply divineEmeraldcitygirlDined on 7/13/2014Classic old school service, mouth-watering food, and an indoor atmostophere that somehow still feels like you're on an intimate little plaza somewhere in Spain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveDined on 7/12/2014Outstanding experience. Food can't be topped. Not a good choice if you like a light and lively ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAnthonyVIPDined on 7/11/2014A half empty restaurant on a Friday evening with slow service, missed and delayed item delivereies. Overall just not the experience I'd expect for a 500 tab for 4. To top it off, the final bill was off by 15% due to overcharges for items that were part of the multi-course tasting menu. Less than impressive service doesn't compensate for what was typically good food.
- Amazing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/11/2014El Gaucho is an experience to remember. From the darkly lit room to attentive, professional wait staff to the flavor explosion of each bite this dining experience was something my wife and I will always remember. I highly recommend the Caesar Salad made table side and ordering from the "El Gaucho Experience". Be prepared to open your wallet, but it was definitely worth every penny.Special Features:
- Behind the timesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014El Gaucho is behind the food evolution times. The portions are ridiculous and old fashioned. The room is huge but too dark to enjoy the food. The penlights provided for the menu should be a tip off. Service was top notch but fell off near the end of the meal. The sister restaurant, Aqua is present day with healthier food and beautiful scenery out of their plentiful windows. Perhaps El Gaucho needs a makeover.
- dependableharboDined on 7/10/2014Always good. Never a disappointment. We will keep El Gaucho as our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El GauchoOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/9/2014A little old-Seattle charm and feels like a step back to the classy days of dining. Great service and fabulous food in a romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Seattle ClassicToddDined on 7/7/2014El Gaucho is a destination in Seattle. Fantastic steaks, caesars, apps, wine list, service.Special Features:
- Great food good serviceNorthDinerDined on 7/7/2014The food was very good, the service was good... maybe a little too over bearing... overall I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- SuperbEvaXDined on 7/3/2014El Gaucho never fails to impress. They gave us a very nice table complete with rose petals for our anniversary.Special Features:
- Anniversary special!!FoodieCoupleDined on 7/2/2014Service service service!!! The food was amazing, but the service was incredible. Our anniversary was so much fun! Details are what counts and the El Gaucho staff knocked it out of the park from the valet to our server, truly a team effort. I wish every restaurant understood detailed service the way El Gaucho does!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect splurgelove2dineoutDined on 7/2/2014Seattle has always been a great city for exemplary retail dining experiences, with every imaginable cuisine available. If you have to make a choice for a splurge, and you can only pick one place, it should be El Goucho on First Ave., in Belltown. With several excellent steak restaurants in town, El Goucho manages to rise to the top, and I should know, I've tried them all more than once. Granted, it is not inexpensive, but for the steaks, the wine list and the tableside service, it's worth every penny of your hard earned money. Tip: Get the tableside prepared Caesar salad and for dessert, either the tableside Bananas Foster or Cherries Jubilee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but expensive for what it wasNonicknameVIPDined on 6/28/2014Amazon local deal IMO was not what I thought it would get which kind of made me feel like it wasn't worth it.for 175 for two I figured we'd be able to choose off the menu. Nope we were given menus but then quickly were told oh you need to order off this one page small selection menu. Wine pairing went along with it, and that was nice. We had good size pours. Food was tasty, nothing that special. We eat at a lot of high end places. Service was slow at first but then improved We liked our waiter. Generous portion sizes ambiance was really dark but relaxing. Will not be buying any future amazon deals for this place
- Old school bestOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/26/2014Food, drinks, atmosphere and a very attentive server, Maik, made for a wonderful night out. This is the way dining out should always be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold plates make steak coldDisappointedDined on 6/24/2014We ordered chateaubriand with lobster. Out of habit, I touched the edge of the plate. It was cold. So was my wife's plate. The restaurant was fairly busy but not jammed. The meat might have languished on the cook's counter for a bit. But when it hit the plates, with some perfectly cooked asparagus and a cheese-encrusted tomato half, it quickly lost its heat. When we mentioned the cold plates to the waiter, he said "Yeah, a cold plate would make the food cold. Let me buy you a dessert." We declined the dessert, which he brought anyway. We did not eat it. With a tip (at 20%) the dinner tab came to about $260. Now we know what to expect for that amount at El Gaucho.Special Features:
- Good find!AlliODined on 6/23/2014From the outside, El Gaucho does not look very impressive. After going through the first set of doors, I got really nervous that this place wasn't going to be that nice. But once we made it through the second set of doors, we walked into a very open, swanky restaurant. Food was what you would expect from an upscale restaurant. Service was superb! Maybe not my first choice to go to if we were to visit Seattle again, but it was definitely nice. The biggest downside of the restaurant is that you don't get to enjoy any of the beautiful views in the city. Otherwise, it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite SteakwelovetoeatDined on 6/21/2014The Seattle El Gaucho is the best spot. Their steaks are mouth watering. We drove to Gig Harbor to pick my Mom up for her 81st birthday. Drove back to Seattle to take her to that El Goucho. Then drove her home to Gig Harbor. We have been to El Gaucho Tacoma and Bellevue and they are very good. We just really like to staff, ambience and the food in Seattle. We were a little disappointed that they were out of nitrogen and we could not order our favorite dessert which is the salted carmel ice cream they make at your table.Special Features:
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014I was expecting a great steak and a fabulous meal. It was good, but I left feeling disappointed and that it was not worth the splurge. The sides were fine, but nothing special. The steak was a really high quality filet mignon, but it’s preparation with only salt and pepper was a little boring. They use a pre-made seasoning mix that includes bell pepper, which I’m allergic to, so I asked if they could use the same seasonings, just without the bell pepper. The waiter said they could then only do salt and pepper. I would have expected a high-end restaurant to offer more than factory-like cooking, and the waiter could have at least offered to add one of their sauces. Dessert (bourbon chocolate cake) was also over-rated and over-priced.
- A superb eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/15/2014We were celebrating our 53rd wedding anniversary. Everybody congratulated us. The service and food were excellent. We shall return!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience!dinerluvDined on 6/14/2014We took my dad for Father's Day and had the best time. We sat in one of the booths along the back wall where it was quiet and had a nice view of the restaurant. The food was perfect - we opted for the Iconic Dinner Experience which was more than enough food for the price. The sommelier suggested the perfect wine and the servers were so attentive. This was our second time dining at El Gaucho and we will definitely be coming back again! My dad was raving about it all the way home. Simply wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceAmandaMVIPDined on 6/14/2014We've been wanting to try the Seattle El Gaucho after hearing how different the ambience is from the Bellevue location. They are definitely completely different venues. The Seattle El Gaucho was very dark with lots of low lighting. It makes it feel more private while you are dining. We bought the Amazon Local Deal as an excuse to drive to Seattle and eat there. The food was excellent. We started with the wicked shrimp, which had a lot of heat to it. Our steak dinner included two large chunks of lobster, which was very well cooked. I've never been a huge fan of lobster, but I may have to rethink my opinion after having it here. The only item I wasn't a big fan of was the mashed potatoes. The wait staff was very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch steaks, excellent serviceMikeDDined on 6/13/2014I don't usually write reviews but felt compelled this time...Premier steaks, warm atmosphere and excellent service without being stuffy. My wife and I were celebrating our 33rd anniversary and were a little apprehensive but from the moment we stepped in the door we were made to feel very welcome. It was apparent they love their jobs and enjoyed making customers feel special. Oka, was our server and we thoroughly enjoyed his presence: professional, helpful, sincere and very friendly. The entire staff worked as a team with one thing in mind which was enhancing our special day as much as possible. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingGraceDined on 6/11/2014I stumbled upon El Gaucho 3 years ago when I was in Seattle and it has always delivered. The food is spectacular and the service is great.Special Features:
- Great dinner, ambiance and servicediningbirdVIPDined on 6/6/2014El Gaucho is one of our very favorite restaurants. The food is always first rate and cooked perfectly and the service is friendly and warm, leaving you feeling like special guests. We were celebrating our anniversary and the captain chose a perfect WA Bordeaux style blend wine to go with our Chateaubriand. The meat was cooked perfectly. We also had the Cesar salad tableside and key lime pie for dessert. The key lime pie was the only slight disappointment. I think it should have been more tart and the crust was a little thick. El Gaucho has a great diners club as well and we had $50 put on our card for us for our anniversary. Overall a wonderful evening and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014I haven't been to this restaurant for many years. It was better than before and the service, fantastic. Our server Rebecca was spot on. Everything was top notch, but I still remember the tableside Caesar Salad the most. The flavor was divine and I could eat that all night ! Who could get so excited over lettuce? I can't wait to go back. What I really liked was that even though it was busy, we were NOT RUSHED. We were there about 2.5 hours and it was just perfect. The way to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Knock your socks off" experience?VinnieSDined on 5/29/2014Unfortunately, it just wasn't a "knock your socks off" experience. It used to be "THE" place to go, but this visit didn't exactly line up to $300 dinner standards. What didn't work? > Our waitress didn't know much about the wine list, but she sent over "the wine gal" who suggested a great wine > The host and others were friendly, but not polished in their service > The food was good (the steak was fantastic, but the lobster & shrimp were a bit over-cooked) What worked? > Our valet went back to the car for us to get a camera we forgot to bring in Would we go back? Maybe for a steak dinner. Maybe it's time to scale back on all the locations and train the staff better on white glove service.Special Features:
- Perfectiondubie2007Dined on 5/28/2014From the time we walked in the door, I knew I had made the right choice for my birthday dinner with my beautiful date. Our waiter, Mock (probably not the correct spelling) was absolutely incredible! A great waiter can definitely make or break a dinner experience, and he only added to the already fantastic and delicious dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014Loved the "moodiness", the cooking interaction with the wait staff is awesome. Great food to boot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Gaucho was greatDaveVIPDined on 5/24/2014Everything about it was outstanding. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beexperienceddinerVIPDined on 5/22/2014My wife and hadn't been to El Gaucho in a while and honestly, it was OK. In the past, I would give at at least 4 stars but not anymore. The food quality doesn't match the price any more. Overall the food was a little bland. Needless to say, there are too many choices out there where the value matches or exceeds the price.
- Over-rated!rez42VIPDined on 5/20/2014I'm sorry but I thought it was over-rated. I had the NY strip and I thought it was somewhat tough. I had originally ordered the steak as medium rare plus - (in between medium rare & medium), our server advised that they tend to cook on the rare side so advised that I go with medium - big mistake, as I felt the steak was over cooked, which contributed to the steak being tough & chewy. Personally, I think there are better steak houses in Seattle. Plus, it is SUPER dark in the restaurant!Special Features:
- Great as always!rafaeltcVIPDined on 5/18/2014We went for a birthday celebration + engagement anniversary. As always the service was top-notch, and the food was impeccable. We went on a Sunday and overall liked it more than on a Saturday night: less crowded!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG !!ThatbigguyDined on 5/17/2014After a lot of thought & research I decided Gaucho of Seattle will be the place for our 10 year anniversary dinner. As soon as you enter the restaurant you know you've entered a place that commands respect is going to deliver the same. The staff, the food, the ambience, to the piano in the background all ends up in my opinion to one of the finest places I've ever had dinner. My filet mignon was out of this world, our cocktails amounted to the same caliber. The staff was unparalleled and never felt rushed for anything. I very much so look forward to dining here again. Special thank you to our waiter and my good friend Dominic Justin for steering me to this location.Special Features: