El Gaucho - Portland
319 SW Broadway
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
El Gaucho - Portland
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.elgaucho.com/
- Phone: 5032278794x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 4:30pm – 11:00pm
Friday – Saturday: 4:30pm – 12:00am
Sunday: 4:30pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Alex Parsons
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: NIGHTLY LIVE LATIN GUITAR - featuring Mariano & Toshi: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday.
Wednesday nights feature Masud & Bobak.
Saturday & Sunday showcases the talents of Mariano & Masud.
- Special Events: Private dining at El Gaucho is a memorable occasion. Our beautiful and incomparable private rooms are available for lunch and dinner service Monday through Friday and dinner service on the weekends. We also provide buyouts of our entire restaurant. Please contact John Hooberman at 971.544.2700 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
A word from El Gaucho - Portland
Named as “the definitive steakhouse in the country,” El Gaucho’s award-winning menu features 28-Day Dry-Aged Niman Ranch All-Natural Certified Angus Beef® Brand Prime steaks and custom aged Certified Angus Beef® brand tenderloin filets, ribs, pork, poultry and the freshest seafood, all prepared to perfection over an open bed of glowing coals in an exhibition-style kitchen. Our extensive wine list is award-winning, and happy hour menu is widely recognized as one of Portland's best. Live music is offered nightly.Continued
El Gaucho is the Northwest’s steakhouse legacy focused on old-school, tableside service. We revel in helping guests create a night to remember.
El Gaucho is the Northwest’s steakhouse legacy focused on old-school, tableside service. We revel in helping guests create a night to remember.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
El Gaucho - Portland - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
El Gaucho - Portland reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (110)romantic (84)notable wine list (53)fit for foodies (48)good for groups (31)hot spot (15)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Outstanding service & great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014From the valets opening the door, the hosts, bussers and our waitress Cara our service was exceptional as always! Out of all of the restaurants in Portland, El Gaucho's service is one of if not the best. Top notch and always on par. The food and drinks are wonderful and we always leave perfectly sated!Special Features:
- Good food, overall disappointingalkoiv24VIPDined on 10/18/2014I made the reservation over a week in advance. When we got there we were seated back in the wine room,the room had no ambiance or character, it felt like someone's basement with no windows. We were the last ones to be seated in the room so we ended our meal the last 30-45 minutes sitting in a silent empty room. Food was very good and our waiter assigned to our table did a good job. Didn't appreciate the overall lack of service other than our waiter though. Wouldn't say it was worth the money, I could have had a much better meal somewhere else.Special Features:
- Amaxzing Dining ExperienceDaveyFishDined on 10/10/2014We all ordered one of the Specials of the day. Whereas most of the meals are ala carte, this special was all inclusive. We had the Lamb Shank. Plenty of food, so we passed on dessert, but they brought us a cheese and fruit platter anyway, comped.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceLynsDDined on 10/9/2014The food and service was great. The table-side prepared caesar salad was wonderful! Be prepared to spend money when you eat here. For four people, we spent about $500, but it was definitely a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic!Splat762Dined on 10/4/2014Was recommended to try El Gaucho by a family member and my girlfriend (more on that) and I totally enjoyed the romantic ambiance, the service and the food. All top knotch. I had made special requests thru OpenTable because I was planning on proposing and I was not disappointed, the staff went above and beyond to make our special evening happen...and she said YES! Would recommend this spot in a heartbeat to anyone wanting a special and romantic evening or just a great night out on the town.Special Features:
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Our waiter and staff were amazing. The food was of course amazing and we enjoyed our evening immensely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak in the northwesthoser1543Dined on 9/24/2014This the only place we go for a great steak. As always, great food, great wines and cocktails, and great service. The atmosphere is like the best steak houses of years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great special occasion findtomsDined on 9/23/2014After not having been here in many years we decided to try it again. Everything was perfect. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodelgouchoDined on 9/22/2014great food and service- defiantly on the top 5 restraunts of our to visit listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Experience4pupreviewsDined on 9/18/2014Our 1st experience at El Gaucho was exceptional! The food was outstanding, the table-side preparation of flaming filet, Caesar salad and finally bananas foster was very impressive. The wonderful evening my visiting family members and I enjoyed truly exceeded my expectations, and I thank the El Gaucho staff for their excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPDXfoodieDined on 9/17/2014Expected the service to match the food but this was certainly not the case. Our server was attentive for about the first 15 minutes and then it was like pulling teeth to get her attention and when she did come to the table she was absent minded and curt. The food was excellent, unfortunately the experience was ruined by the poor service.Special Features:
- Always good!BrianVIPDined on 9/14/2014The filet mignon was tender enough to cut with a fork. Enough said!Special Features:
- GrantDined on 9/13/2014El Gaucho has always been a favorite Portland restaurant of mine. The food, service and atmosphere are all top notch. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- A great birthday celebrationVeryMaryDined on 9/9/2014Everything we had was delicious. The fresh fruit and cheese plate at the end of our meal was an unexpected treat. I've not had a better apple. And the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an excellent mealPtlovesfoodVIPDined on 9/7/2014The one thing I can always count on when trying to figure out what to eat, El Gaucho Portland will always deliver. With most waitstaff tenure being in the 10 year mark, you know service will always be good. The steaks, sides, soups etc are always good, always the same. Dont be looking for daily specials so much as always a great time, great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- n/afoodloverDined on 9/6/2014Nice place, prices for sure over the hill, kind of once in a lifetime experience. 4 people $500 dinner :/Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThebiegsDined on 9/5/2014Excellent food - great service - love the ceasar salad - old shool and great.Special Features:
- Great spot for a special occasion!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Took my fiance here for his birthday dinner and it was excellent! We were seated right when we got there, got a cute table slightly away from the music but close enough to hear and the food was off the charts great. Our server was attentive and our water glasses were never empty. Only had a slight wait when i wanted that second glass of wine. I would definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our anniversaryRogerDined on 9/5/2014The food took too LONG. My reservation was for 7:15 and we didn't get the main course until 9:00pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Great experience. The food & service were very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite steak house in PortlandMwithamVIPDined on 9/3/2014El Gaucho is consistently outstanding and makes any dinner feel like a special occasion. You cannot go wrong by dining here!Special Features:
- It's expensive, but worth itTheEdgeDined on 8/29/2014We had been meaning to go to El Gaucho, but Jake's is sentimental to us when we're in town for a nice dinner. We have frequented other offering of downtown, but we decided this time, it was El Gaucho for sure. And we're glad we did. Ceasar Salad table side is as good as everyone says. The Chateaubriand/Lobster was excellent and prepared perfectly. Lobster had no hint of rubber texture. Waiter/Waitress were absolutely excellent in every way. Very attentive, but never annoying. Always there, yet never obvious. Be warned, you may need to consider your budget a bit, but with the caliber of the food, anything you pick will probably be perfectly prepared. If you're not sure, talk to the waiter/waitress. They are very knowledgeable and will help.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We felt the room was quite dark, the food was very good but VERY overpricedSpecial Features:
- GREAT FOR SPECIAL OCCASSIONSRovingFoodieDined on 8/23/2014We have been going here for our anniversary for the last 12 years. Food , service and ambience are always outstanding. Food is always prepared perfectly to everyone's exact specifications. This year they even added a prefixed menu which some at our table tried and was every bit as good as the Ala carte version The steaks are always done to perfection, and were flavorful and juicy with out the big strips of fat or gristle at other steak houses. The wicked shrimp had several layers of spice and heat. the sampler dessert was just a perfect finishSpecial Features:
- ExcellentJeffTDined on 8/22/2014El Gaucho is the whole package; ambiance, class, great service and excellent food. It's our favorite restaurant for special occasions or just to treat someone to a special meal.Special Features:
- Outstanding as usualAverageguyDined on 8/19/2014El Gaucho is an amazing experience. It's not a bargain, but I believe it's worth the premium. The food and service are truly exceptional. I had a small fillet with peppercorn sauce. I was amazed with the flavor and tenderness of the cut. The staff are very professional and take great pride in what they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightScottVIPDined on 8/15/2014We love coming to El Gaucho for special occasions, but this was not the most polished service that we have had. Our server was very nice and seemed to try hard. She may have been busy with multiple tables. She interrupted conversations on several occasions a bit abruptly. She would tend to reach across eating patrons without apology. She tended to prepare silverware for the next course while we were still eating an earlier course. It was in contrast to the usual invisible service. The prices of wine have also seemed to go up astronomically. We are no longer able to afford wine there and will need to bring our own in the future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ralphshawDined on 8/14/2014Outstanding in all respects, food, service, ambience.Special Features:
- very good experiencetm12Dined on 8/11/2014Very well prepared food served by an excellent staff. The food was perfectly cooked and arrived hot. This is an expensive spot, so it's not somewhere you'd head to every day. Nor is it a place to go to try something new and different. However, if you wand a well cooked steak, a not- overdone lobster, wonderful traditional vegetables and desserts, it is a great place for a meal. The complimentary fruit and cheese at the finish is a nice touch.Special Features:
- The steak was cooked to perfection.FroidlikDined on 8/11/2014The baked potato sauce was wonderful, and the Caesar salad was the best ever. Neither my wife, nor I drink alcohol, so our waiter recommended fresh-squeezed lemon ade, which turned out to be the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was lousyAnniversaryDined on 8/11/2014We've usually had great service, but our last visit to El Gaucho was very disappointing on the service side. Service was pleasant, but uncharacterisitcally slow. Not sure if they were short-staffed or our waitress was new, but very slow indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceRestGoodDiningPdxDined on 8/11/2014Wine steward was great and very personable. Food was very good. Not a good place if you are on a tight budget, but a great experience. Your guest will be very impressed.Special Features:
- Our first time experienceKarenDined on 8/9/2014My party of two was seated in a row where the tables are extremely close to each other. Can't really have a normal voice volume conversation because you are able to hear one another. Also after our food was brought to us the waiter didn't come back to ask us (as they usually do) if everything was ok. It was our first time at the restaurant. I would go back if I didn't have to seat on those tables again and instead get a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Eveninglucky6VIPDined on 8/9/2014Every element of our dinner was perfect, and the steaks in particular ranked with the finest we have ever had. (All our best steaks have been at El Gaucho, by the way.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for a top notch SteakLuvSteakVIPDined on 8/8/2014El Gaucho is always on top of their game! The service and food are excellent and we always enjoy the great live music.Special Features:
- Temperature ControlpdxrunrVIPDined on 8/8/2014Long time fan and customer of El Gaucho. Food was outstanding as usual. However, on this occasion, they seated us in the smaller front dining room. As soon as we walked in, we realized it was freezing! It was a very pleasant 80 degrees outside, but they had the A/C set well below 70 and it was uncomfortable. We asked not once, but twice and it still was never adjusted properly. It was no fun to shiver through an expensive meal. I'll never allow them to seat us in that room again! If you go, be sure in your reservation request that you want to be seated in the MAIN dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great celebrationAuntieVDined on 8/5/2014everyone agreed that hands down El Gaucho has the best meat - so tender, flavorful and cooked perfectly. I would not get the steak El Gaucho again tho- $20 for two really small lobster pieces is not worth it. But we loved the roses on the table, the birthday for my friend, service, the bread, the salads and soup - everything was great! We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops!TravelingprofVIPDined on 8/2/2014El Gaucho offered us one of the finest overall dining outings that we've experienced over the past several years. The food was very good, the wine list was marvelous and the service was spectacular.Special Features:
- Best Beef in TownOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014We have been to El Gaucho several times and each time we have been impressed with the food, the service and the ambience. We enjoyed our dinner completely and had a very nice pre-dinner drink at the bar. Great discussion with the bartenders. It was our anniversary and when we were shown to our table there was a card signed by all the staff congratulating us on our event. While El Gaucho is pricy, I'd have to say you get what you pay for. It was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChateaubriandLCJeffDined on 8/2/2014Few, if any, places better in Portland. It's an amazing restaurant with a top service staff. Great food and there's little way to enjoy it end to end without getting overly fully. We went with a light scallop appetizer which was incredible and skipped the salad/soup altogether so we could enjoy their signature bananas foster for dessert. We had the Chateaubriand for two which is carved table-side. Amazing meat with an incredible sauce accompanying it. Came with a baked potato and asparagus. Finished with bananas foster and it was too much food .... but had to do it. Great evening and can't wait to go back.Special Features: