174 8th Ave.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://elcidnyc.com/
- Phone: 2125246818
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 11:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from El Cid
The best Spanish/Iberian cuisine in New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Cid reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (6)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (4)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good food & servicejdgnycDined on 8/5/2014I used to go to El Cid when it was at the former location on 15th Street. The food and service were good but the atmosphere is not as charming as the former location. It's a bit loud too. Good for groups or a place to meet for a drink/bite. I'd totally go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudgingerdinerVIPDined on 7/31/2014We came to El CID because we were seeing a performance across the street at the Joyce. The food was ok but the problem was that a band starting playing so loudly that my boyfriend and I couldn't hear each other. It really ruined the experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- zazie86VIPDined on 7/24/2014My cousin and I celebrated our birthdays on the rooftop of El Cid, on 8th Avenue and 19th Street. It was a beautiful evening, and I can’t imagine a more wonderful dining experience, except for the slow and often clueless, although very pleasant, service. I should add that the rooftop lighting should be more evenly distributed; our side ended up in the dark when the sun went down. We both enjoyed the calamari appetizer, the delicious soft shelled crab and the rich chocolate cake. A party atmosphere surrounded us, including fairly loud rock music; it seemed that we weren’t the only ones having a great time.Special Features:
- really niceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/22/2014waiter but he kept forgetting to come back to take our order and very mediocre food!
- IrishEyes100Dined on 7/16/2014Our experience with El Cid was excellent. The food was delicious, and authentically Spanish (I lived in Spain for three years). My only recommendation is that the waiters advise the size of some of the tapas. I finished two tapas and when the third came (baby lamb chops), it was a full meal, same with my companion whose third tapa was steak. I was stuffed at the end.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!!Crazy4foodDined on 7/9/2014We went after the theater and it ended our night amazing. The service was exceptional and the food was great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So many small plates......BandcmanDined on 5/7/2014So little time! The selection is lovely; lots of seafood and veggie options. We went with the salmon special that had clams and mussels. All tapas. Delicious. The white asparagus was delicious as were the brussell sprouts. The service was wonderful; very attentive but not overwhelming. Great happy hour drinks as the special for red wine was a delicious tempranillo. This is a lovely place with delicious food and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- Amazing Food , Great Service!NelishikaDined on 5/3/2014I was looking for an authentic Spanish restaurant that would serve delicious paella...and I FOUND IT! I am definitely coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 52 reviews are from the El Cid reviews archive.
- El Cid: A Chelsea/Meatpacking Gemzazie86VIPDined on 4/23/2014An out-of-town friend and I lunched at El Cid, on 8th Avenue and 19th Street. The lunch menu included a choice of soup or salad and a wide selection of hot entrees, no tapas. The leek soup was made from fresh vegetables and blended well for a non-bitter flavor. The pollo con pisto, chicken breast with Spanish ratatouille, tasted freshly made in a sauce that enhanced the taste of the chicken rather than overwhelmed it. The rice dish, paella Valenciana, filled with shell fish, chicken and sausage, was hot, fresh and delicious. The dessert, chocolate mousse, with sliced strawberry on top, was out of this world. Our waiter, working solo, was out to please, although not 100% knowledgeable. I like El Cid and still want to try it outdoors.Special Features:
- Sunday find!NinipDined on 4/6/2014We were looking for a last minute dinner joint and we found this gem. Great service and good food.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS!pattiemaeDined on 3/26/2014el cid never disappoints! dates wrapped in bacon were sensational as was the calamari - your food is OUTSTANDING - we even ordered delivery again the very next night! keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic!JoshDined on 3/23/2014I'm always trying to find good authentic Spanish tapas restaurants. El Cid fit the bill. The food reminded me of my years in Spain. We arrived for Sunday brunch and were afraid that they wouldn't serve their typical tapas menu, but they did, and it surpassed our expectations. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- OK but not great.VisitorDined on 3/15/2014I chose the restaurant based on location (proximity to a particular theater). We were seated promptly, but service thereafter was indifferent at best. Waiter clearly smirked when one guest (of three) did not order a drink. We waited a long time for menus, and I got the sense the place is more geared to drinking than dining. On the plus side, drinks were reasonably priced, food was good and the total bill was reasonable (six tapas plates for three people). The noise level was very high, but pretty much what I've come to expect in NY. I probably wouldn't go back, but I wouldn't mind having the sweetbreads and grilled sardines again.Special Features:
- Bland, yet popularNYCgourmetDined on 3/12/2014The good was quite bland. For example, my friend's Vegetarian Paella was simply some boiled cauliflower and broccoli placed on top of Spanish rice, while my chicken was similarly boiled [it was moist and tender] with some sauce poured over it. The service was mediocre, even though we placed our order early and indicated that we were going to the theater afterwards.
- Tasty tapasNicelysurprisedDined on 3/11/2014Happy hour drinks paired off well with tasty tapas. Wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- I went here for the firstRose624VIPDined on 3/10/2014I went here for the first time. The food was ok, not great. I ordered the veal dish. Very expensive for a very small portion. The service wasn't so good. They basically ignored me. I wouldn't rush back here.
- Mollejas al ajillo!!!!!!chepibeDined on 2/21/2014They are simply orgasmic. Great service.Friday night Latin music was a nice surprise. Have nothing but wonderful memories of a spectacular evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The original El Cid was charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014The original El Cid was charming located in the parlor level of a town house. The restaurant was always filled and lively with an authentic Spanish staff. The new El Cid has lost some of the ambiance. The tapas were: 1) grilled squid was terrific, 2) meatballs very good, 3) pork tenderloin was good and a lttle dry, 4) grilled shrimp good but could have used a sauce compliment, 5) leeks overpriced for what you got and 6) tripe tasty if you like that kind of food.Special Features:
- Lovely nighborhood findIberophileDined on 2/14/2014We went there on a lark. The food was delicious, and the service courteous. The wait staff was particularly attentive to my nine year-old, neither itnoring him nor talking down at him. We'll be back, particularly for the tapas and merluza en salsa verde (hake in parsley sauce).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas for daysChucariaVIPDined on 11/30/2013Great place and like new location as we used to go to the one on 15th forever. In town to see friends and it is a perfect spot for good food and laughs. The staff is always helpful and nice service. Not too crowded over Thanksgiving weekend and we also got acquainted with other diners.Please go and enjoy! The seafood and skirt steak social yummy ...great octopus tapas and great desserts!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/30/2013We enjoyed the food. Every single tapas dish we ordered was delicious. The servers were all polite and pleasant. Their house wine selections were very decent. It would be great if they have more wine options, though. What's missing was the buzz. It was so empty that we worried that this place may be gone by the next time we come around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the visitCDG1020VIPDined on 11/5/2013We were one of 2 parties at the restaurant on a Tuesday night. There was a waiter outside luring potential guests in. I made a reservation to this restaurant for my friend's birthday, however, I had my reservations because of previous reviews. Waiters made me feel uncomfortable with their flirting and the food really was just edible. Nothing spectacular. Not even close.
- This is food?jordon50VIPDined on 10/26/2013Barely adequate tapas, very basic wine, waaaay too noisy with people literally urged in off the street, and not a terribly clean place. Hard to believe that such a dive exists in Chelsea.
- Excellent tapasExcellentVIPDined on 10/25/2013If you're looking god good food I would highly recommend to visit El CID. That is a great place to enjoy good tapas. Not only what is in the menu but the proprietor goes the extra mile to accommodate your taste. I always have great time at El Cid restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to the Joyce TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/5/2013Decent tapas and spanish food. Ambiance and service could be better.Special Features:
- rooftop gemOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2013they have a great rooftop garden - would keep going back to just eat upstairs ~ it's so lovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Birthday Dinner CelebrationAlimacDined on 7/27/2013We went to El Cid for my friend's birthday. The staff was very accommodating and very friendly. I lived in Spain for a good amount of time during college and I thought the food was very authentic. My friends and I really enjoyed our time at dinner. The atmosphere was very lively on the rooftop deck. We will definitely be back the next time we are in NYC and will definitely recommend it to friends to dine at.Special Features:
- BlahfoodieVIPDined on 7/17/2013I would not return to El Cid. The food was uninspired, the decor was sterile, and the service was mediocre.
- Eh..OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2013A so-so experience. The food was average and I felt 'rushed' by the staff.Special Features:
- Convient for the Joyce, nosusanoherDined on 6/14/2013Convient for the Joyce, no other reason to eat there.
- DisappointingJimGDined on 6/7/2013Looked forward to trying the paella which was generous and tasty, if not amazing. Our waiter was curt and rude, and the place is very noisy with little or no charm or ambiance
- Was just OkBrianDined on 6/3/2013I'm a good judge of paella valenciana and there's was just ok. Had lobster too. Not sure it was worth it though :(
- Not the old El CidOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2013Before it moved, El Cid was a lovely little neighborhood tapas place. The food was good, and, while it was clearly very dated, that gave it a nice comfortable feel. Now, the food isn't as good as it once was, and it is a big, cavernous place that looks like all the other restaurants on that stretch of 8th avenue. The soul is gone. Oh well - at least we now have Boqueria.
- I love this restaurant. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/16/2013I love this restaurant. The manager is great and the hostess is great, but this time the waiter was not so good and I told the hostess so I am not doing anything behind their back. Their food is wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to return to El CidgattoVIPDined on 5/11/2013I have a personal attachment to this place from my days hanging out at the old El Cid on 15th street. This place, run by one of the guys who used to work there, has the identical menu of great tapas and paella. There the other night with friends, the owner sent over a bottle of Cava, saying it was nice to see faces from the old place. Very warm and inviting staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Bad ServiceBetsyVIPDined on 5/10/2013We had dinner at the restaurant on May 10. The food was, as always, very good, but the service was terrible. We had to ask for menus, had to ask for bread, and waited almost half an hour for our appetizer, followed within 5 minutes by our entrees. We had a voucher for the meal, so there was no additional amount owed for the food itself. However, our waiter took it upon himself to add on an almost 20% tip for himself, based on the pre-voucher cost of the meal. That plus the tax came to $20, which was clearly written and circled on the check. However, after I gave him my credit card, the handwritten $20 was changed to $26 , and that's the amount he put through on my card. He said it was a mistake, but I don't believe that for a minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DehydratedSaxxynycVIPDined on 5/5/2013The food portions (if not paella) were very small. The paella was saltier than the Atlantic ocean and the service was slow and not very helpful. We won't be back.
- Anniversary Lunch/DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2013We wanted something different and special for our 5th Wedding Anniversary and one of our family members highly recommended this restaurant. We don’t regret the decision because my wife loved all the tapas and the sangria.Special Features:
- We had the Gambas al AjillojsalVIPDined on 4/14/2013We had the Gambas al Ajillo and the Paella Valenciana. Both were ok. The paella portion was generous. Service was attentive but a bit awkward.
- The service is above average,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/2/2013The service is above average, waiters are attentive, and the happy hour prices are attractive. Overall the food was ok, not as special as I had expected.Special Features: