El Charro - Livermore
186 Maple Street
Livermore, CA 94550Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
El Charro - Livermore
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.elcharrolivermore.com/
- Phone: 9253718297
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private room seats up to 60 people
A word from El Charro - Livermore
El Charro is the traditional horseman from Mexico who participates in the charreada, or Mexican rodeo. Charros are experts in horsemanship, rope tricks, bull riding and steer roping. One of the most recognized symbols of Mexico is associated with the charro – his tightly tailored suit and vest, adorned with embroidery and silver buttons, worn with a soft tie and wide brimmed sombrero. Mexico’s history and complexity are captured in this time-honored suit that represents the nation's passion for ritual, and tradition. When we started our restaurant in 2001, we wanted a name that captured the heritage of Mexico as well as the cowboy history of Livermore. "El Charro" is a perfect symbolic reflection of both worlds. We specialize in authentic Mexican cuisine, including our famous enchiladas, winners of "Best Taste of Downtown" for five consecutive years. In addition, El Charro features a full bar offering a wide selection of your favorite tequilas, cervezas, and of course Livermore wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
El Charro - Livermore reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (8)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (5)neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Good food for the moneySTPMooreDined on 7/25/2014Good food for a quick night out. Not overly fancy, but a good place for more than 6 to 8 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Ridgeback12Dined on 6/22/2014We sat in the back room and the noise was not as bad as the main room. Food was excellent. I have the shrimp and it was very good. Will have it again. Service was very fast and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Charro is greatJemonfuVIPDined on 6/21/2014We went to El Charro for the first time to dinner. As with lunch, food was GREAT!! Service also very good, beer selection that is on tap is also very good. Definitely a neighborhood gem. They need to advertise. We didn't know they were there for years.Special Features:
- fast friendly and deliciousSandyVIPDined on 6/13/2014The food was good, the service was fast and the staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 31 reviews are from the El Charro - Livermore reviews archive.
- group dinnersisterDined on 4/19/2014Great service from Erick! Food and drink always very good and a great value.Special Features:
- Great food and service!sisterDined on 4/5/2014Great food, service in this small family run spot.Special Features:
- Date NightLittleoldmeDined on 3/29/2014We decided to go here for a night out, our server was great, food was ok... The noise level in the restaurant was way too loud and bright!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hiding in plain sightsisterDined on 2/28/2014We live in town and I drive by this place everyday. Never thought to give it a try until now and sure glad we did. The service was amazing, thank you Eric. The drinks were ordered, they came right away, placed dinner order and I swear it was sitting in front of us in less than 7 minutes! A little load but for a Friday night that would be the norm. Can't wait to try something else on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local Mexican restaurantNanourksaDined on 2/9/2014We enjoyed our meal enhanced by friendly, prompt service The chicken mole was just "ok". Prices were reasonable. The menu is standard California Mexican with a variety of margaritas. The location is good--close to First Street and the Livermore Cinema. Small parking lot, but parking is available on the side street.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Accommodating!KathaB2Dined on 1/26/2014Our extended family of 10 visited El Charro on a Sunday afternoon, with reservations at 1:30. El Charro was ready for us, and had the table set up already, so as we arrived we could be seated immediately. We had a wonderful server (wish I could remember his name),who made our whole lunch even more special. We asked if the music could be turned down, and he took care of that; he checked with us to see if we were ready to order, and did not hurry us in any way; he explained any questions we had about our choices; and in general, we felt like we were at home in this restaurant. Very comfortable. He even suggested that he could separate the orders so we could pay individually. What a treat! The food was delicious, and we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!JeanieDined on 12/28/2013Great Mexican food. Pretty authentic. Severs always very friendly, attentive. My go-to for Mexican food cravings - which is at least weekly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican Food!Lynn29VIPDined on 7/13/2013First time visit for dinner for 6 people. Margaritas were excellent and the food was just about perfect. We were seated in a room with a large group of people who were extremely noisy and they happily moved us to another room. Nice to finally find a really good Mexican restaurant...tired of the other local Mexican restaurants in Livermore and Dublin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep coming back!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/28/2013I love this place. We're such regulars here that everyone stops by to say hello. I have my favorite dishes but sometimes step outside the box to try other things. The bistek ranchero is my all time favorite dish, especially when the jalapenos are hot! I do wish they had a few more vegetarian dishes (maybe fajitas?) The fish tacos are pretty great too. Service is always spot on. Be prepared to wait a little for your food if they have a big party. It is worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemfoodieDined on 5/24/2013Love El Charros, eat there often, friendly, good food, fun for groups. Little noisy when packed, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2013I frequented El Charro when it used to be on the other side of First Street; mainly for the excellent breakfast burrittos on hungover weekend mornings. I hadn't been to the new location since they relocated so for my birthday I suggested El Charro! My friends and I were very happy with the food and the pitcher of Tres Agaves margaritas were muy bueno!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food I felt was average thesassystephDined on 5/11/2013Food I felt was average the service was slow and it was a warm day outside and the inside temperature matched
- Decent food for the price.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/9/2013Decent food for the price. Service was okay but our table was not ready when we got there.
- Great find for former ZoniesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2013This was our first time at El Charro, the service was very friendly. The food was good, solid American Mexican food. I had the Burrito Mojado with Carnitas, just exactly what I wanted, delish pork carnitas with the wonderful red sauce. My husband had the chicken flautas, he was a little dissapointed but I had a bite and they were well seasoned, crisp and good, just not knock your socks off good (it's a flauta!). However, the plate was lacking in appeal, the refried beans looked like they had been sitting awhile but they tasted fresh and very good, so can not complain. We are from Arizona where you can find some really outstanding authentic Mexican food. But El Charro will absolutely be our go to Mexican food spot.Special Features:
- Always good and generallyWhatsagoodnicknameVIPDined on 2/22/2013Always good and generally busy on the weekends. There was a line going out the door waiting for tables on this visit, but OpenTable allowed us to walk right to the front and be seated within 2 minutes.Special Features:
- We always have a great experiencewineloverDined on 1/25/2013We always have a great experience when we eat at El Charro. Their food and service is very good.Special Features:
- We come here a lot and theOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/15/2012We come here a lot and the food and service are always good. We came on a Saturday night and were seated right away. We had to wait longer than usual to get our food though. We made it in time for happy hour and got our $3 margaritas!Special Features:
- Service still sporadic toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/11/2012Service still sporadic to non-existent. Starting to wonder if they will ever sort it out. Food was good though.
- Reliable and better than mostModernistVIPDined on 12/1/2012Reliable and better than most "gooey Mexican" food, all the elements are there and far better than a lot of other Tri-Valley choices.Special Features:
- Friday night reservation @OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012Friday night reservation @ 18:30 for two. Very busy when we arrived with several people waiting for tables. Slow service, waiter kept saying he was sorry there was a big party in the restaurant but in reality he had too many tables to take care of. Took 50 min. to get our food. Prices were low but food was just OK. I had the prawn tacos, shrimp instead of prawns, taste was OK but hardly any shrimp in the meal. Wife had chicken mole, she is a mexican food fan, she wasn't impressed. Beer was $4.50 for a ice cold 16 oz. Dos Equis which was great. Place was crowded with seemingly happy customers so they are doing something right, but we'll continue trying different places and won't be returning.Special Features:
- Best Mexican food at a sit-downOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2012Best Mexican food at a sit-down restaurant in Livermore.Special Features:
- The food is good and we loveOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/4/2012The food is good and we love their happy hour! $3 margaritas are a winner!Special Features:
- Service was great. We hadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2012Service was great. We had a great experience at this place. Our waiter was the best.Special Features:
- Delicious food, good service,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2012Delicious food, good service, reasonable pricing. Everything was fresh and well prepared.Special Features:
- It has great Mexican food.wineloverDined on 6/22/2012It has great Mexican food. It always fresh and good. They are consistent on service and the service is awesome.Special Features:
- They had a table for 12 waitingBarryDined on 5/5/2012They had a table for 12 waiting for us at the time of our reservation and greeted the members of our party as they arrived and escorted them to the table. All of this was on Cinco de Mayo so of course they were already extremely busy. Our party was happy with the food except for a taco special - 3 for $5. They were not very tasting and certainly small. The wait person might mention their size when someone orders the special. I had the enchilada/chile rellano combination and it was good.Special Features:
- Nice, clean restaurant withDiningDelightDined on 4/29/2012Nice, clean restaurant with attentive staff and good food. Would definitely go back. They brought a special dessert for a birthday and the staff sang to her. Very festive atmosphere.Special Features:
- Super LOlOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012I love everything about this place! Monica is the best and will make this a once a week dinner spot.Special Features:
- Had a group reservation onOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/2/2012Had a group reservation on a busy weekend night, and were seated right away -- table was ready. Service was great, food was great, ambiance was great. Definitely noisy when busy, but at least it's boisterous. Been several times before and plan to keep returning!Special Features:
- Always great home cooked MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/1/2012Always great home cooked Mexican food at reasonable prices. This is our "go to" spot for Mexican food in the area.Special Features:
- The staff seemed a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012The staff seemed a little bit rushed but it wasn't overly crowded, other than that, it was a great experience as usual.Special Features: